PDA

View Full Version : Selling Adivce needed

Krisbee
09-04-2010, 08:24
I've come to the conclusion that hanging on to my Rega Planar 3 (RB300/Linn K5) and 150 odd LPs doesn't make sense any more. But how best to sell them? My problem is that my personal circumstances (I'm disabled), and the loss of my local Post Office, means that collection is really the only practical option I can offer. And I'd really want only to deal with established AOS members. Could I make such a restriction?

I'd try and sell the LPs before selling the TT. My first thought was to offer my 90+ Blues LPs as a job lot. It's a broad mix that doesn't easily group into specific categories, so trying to split them into batches may not work. The other 65 could be broken down into rock, female vocal, tex-mex, cajun, c&w if selling in batches makes sense.

Any idea what my TT may be worth? It's one careful owner from new and has limited use.

Your thoughts/advice would be helpful.

The Grand Wazoo
09-04-2010, 13:16
The trouble with selling LP's as a lot means that you rarely achieve what they're truly worth. I'd be inclined to list them all individually. For example, I'd be interested in your blues LP's, but I bet I've got some of them already!
Cheers

Krisbee
09-04-2010, 15:16
The trouble with selling LP's as a lot means that you rarely achieve what they're truly worth. I'd be inclined to list them all individually. For example, I'd be interested in your blues LP's, but I bet I've got some of them already!
Cheers

Point taken, but seeing as I can really only offer on a collection basis it's not practical for me to sell them individually. For any prospective purchaser of a lot, they'd have to decide if there were enough LPs they really want to make the price worth paying while they could swap/trade the rest themselves.

As to there worth, that's a vexed question. Ultimately it's simply what people are prepared to pay, if at all. I not expecting to make a fortune out of this, and certainly not the sort of prices I've seen on Ebay.

The Grand Wazoo
09-04-2010, 15:25
Maybe there's a kind, able bodied member of AoS relatively local to you who could help you out by doing the posting for you in exchange for a small percentage of the proceedings?

I'd be glad to offer, but my location kind of precludes this!

Ali Tait
09-04-2010, 17:05
I was going to suggest similar,or perhaps a family member? You would probably make quite a lot selling them individually on the bay.

Krisbee
09-04-2010, 17:23
From one Chris to another, thanks.

I had thought about Ebay, but apart from investing in a pile of proper record mailers, I couldn't say they were professionally cleaned and all that stuff sellers like go on about with their fancy grading systems. Let alone expect someone else to be finding a way to post them in dribs and drabs. I just don't see this as workable for me.

Looks like I have no alternative but to offer a job lot and see if anyone is interested.

No one's ventured an opinion of the TT yet. Perhaps it's unlikely that anyone on AOS would be looking for such a thing.

Barry
09-04-2010, 17:30
Hello Chris,

Why don't you list the blues albums here on AoS? That way some of us might be willing to make you an offer for the collection.

There are no doubt members who live closer to you than I, but if there are no takers/volunteers, I would be interested and willing to visit you to have a look at the collection.

We really do need to know what it is you have for sale to be able to help.

Regards