PDA

View Full Version : CD player - not repairable confirmed - what to do next

rmcin626
01-09-2018, 16:33
I took my Marantz CD player in for repair the other day, and afterwards took a trip into one of the hifi dealers to see what was currently available and also should I tip my toe into the streaming world.
The staff were very friendly and helpful although there was no interest in selling my CD player only streaming with a Nas and Linn streamer being their suggested path, probably around £2200.

Today it was confirmed that the CD player was not worthy of repair, the spare parts being no longer available. As we were the city center today I dropped into Richer Sounds to see what the had to offer, the main suggestions were either a Cambridge Streamer CXN at £800, or an Arcam cds50 which is a Sacd player and streamer at £700.

I was thinking of a Bluesound Vault as a possibility but have deceived I will probably move my music library to a Nas.

Been an interesting couple of days.

All suggestions welcome.

struth
01-09-2018, 16:42
I like streaming... I mostly use my laptop with Audirvana now. got an rpi too, but the first is my fav now. not to dear to set up. nas wise, you'd have to ask around. some are better. Jimbo just got a new one ; worth asking him maybe. I wouldnt like to be without a spinner tho

rmcin626
01-09-2018, 16:47
I like streaming... I mostly use my laptop with Audirvana now. got an rpi too, but the first is my fav now. not to dear to set up. nas wise, you'd have to ask around. some are better. Jimbo just got a new one ; worth asking him maybe. I wouldnt like to be without a spinner tho

Although most of my listening is vinyl, I still have a few hundred cds, so I will still need something for them.

walpurgis
01-09-2018, 16:55
Although most of my listening is vinyl, I still have a few hundred cds, so I will still need something for them.

Plenty of decent used CD players out there. Rotel, Pioneer and NAD tend to sound good and be reliable at relatively modest prices.

struth
01-09-2018, 16:56

Depends how you want to do then.
I would do both separate ... if cd is going to be no3 then get a multi spinner. then it can do bluray etc or just a fairly cheap option. The oppo I have is very good. can be streamed to as well.
My Black pioneer cheapie is here if your stuck... its quite decent out to dac

rmcin626
01-09-2018, 17:04
Have been looking at the various options over the last few days, was just waiting to hear for definitive that The cdp needed replacing.

Thanks for the offer Grant, I have a old Linn Movie Classik I can use meantime. Ages since I used it so not sure how it will sound.

struth
01-09-2018, 17:07
was a decent spinner.

rmcin626
01-09-2018, 17:13
was a decent spinner.

Pity it’s the wrong colour Grant, but should be ok until the new kit is acquired

struth
01-09-2018, 17:28
Pity it’s the wrong colour Grant, but should be ok until the new kit is acquired

HA Ha... your like Gazjam and Henry Ford. Any colour as long as its black :eyebrows:...

rmcin626
01-09-2018, 17:30
HA Ha... your like Gazjam and Henry Ford. Any colour as long as its black :eyebrows:...

Just like the gear to be all the same colour, which is always black of course.

struth
01-09-2018, 18:08
Bar speakers mine is too. Lol

rmcin626
01-09-2018, 18:14
Bar speakers mine is too. Lol

My speakers are light oak - a long way from black

Lawrence001
01-09-2018, 18:57
Although most of my listening is vinyl, I still have a few hundred cds, so I will still need something for them.You could always rip them to lossless...

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

rmcin626
01-09-2018, 19:00
You could always rip them to lossless...

True

jandl100
02-09-2018, 08:04
Why rip your CDs at all?
If the recordings are available from the streaming services like Qobuz or Spotify then you don't need the CDs anymore.

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 08:58
Why rip your CDs at all?
If the recordings are available from the streaming services like Qobuz or Spotify then you don't need the CDs anymore.

Good point, just seems a bit strange to have a few hundred cds and not have the ability to play them.

Macca
02-09-2018, 09:04
You might find the mastering on the CD you have superior to the mastering of the same album on the streaming service. Equally it might be he other way around. If the streaming service is using a more compressed mastering it isn't going to sound as good. Many albums have been re-mastered, some multiple times, and quite often this means the dynamic range has been markedly reduced. When using CD you have control over which mastering you listen to, with streaming you get what you are given.

jandl100
02-09-2018, 09:06
Good point, just seems a bit strange to have a few hundred cds and not have the ability to play them.

I have kept most of my CDs as a backup, and I have a decent DVD player as a means to play them into my DAC - for use when the internet is down locally, or in case of computer problems etc. Or in case all the streaming services fold. And for the few recordings that don't seem to be available streaming yet (Linn and Hyperion are labels that you can't get, I'm sure there are lots of others. And not all of a record label's catalogue and back catalogue are going to be available streamed.)

So yes, for me there are still reasons to keep CDs and to be able to play them.

Lawrence001
02-09-2018, 09:07
I haven't quite dropped the idea of ownership yet, I'm coming to terms with the lack of physical media (or separate media for each album I should say) but the concept of relying on a third party to supply me with the music when I want it still feels a bit, well, like it's not mine anymore. Plus who knows where the world will be in 10 years, I'm not ready to drop mine yet. Of course, they could go in the loft for emergency use, with the baked beans and Kalashnikovs :)

struth
02-09-2018, 09:11
in a few years folk will be referring to cd over streaming the way they do re vinyl over cd. "its great to plonk that disc down, and close the drawer", etc ;)

GrahamS
02-09-2018, 09:39
You might find the mastering on the CD you have superior to the mastering of the same album on the streaming service. Equally it might be he other way around. If the streaming service is using a more compressed mastering it isn't going to sound as good. Many albums have been re-mastered, some multiple times, and quite often this means the dynamic range has been markedly reduced. When using CD you have control over which mastering you listen to, with streaming you get what you are given.

And - I hate the thought of my ability to listen to a piece of music being at the mercy of a third party - a telephone / broadband service provider. I am much more comfortable with my music being mine to hold, smell, touch, and play anytime. The only third party I am beholden to is the electric supplier. Sorry, maybe I'm just becoming an old dinosaur.....

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 09:42
In the first hifi retailer, I was told they probably haven’t sold a CD player for about 18 months, which was not a big surprise as I told them I was looking for a replacement player but they only demonstrated streaming

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 09:44
And - I hate the thought of my ability to listen to a piece of music being at the mercy of a third party - a telephone / broadband service provider. I am much more comfortable with my music being mine to hold, smell, touch, and play anytime. The only third party I am beholden to is the electric supplier. Sorry, maybe I'm just becoming an old dinosaur.....

Good point as my Virgin media broadband as gone twice in the last week

Macca
02-09-2018, 09:48
In the first hifi retailer, I was told they probably haven’t sold a CD player for about 18 months, which was not a big surprise as I told them I was looking for a replacement player but they only demonstrated streaming

Yes it is all over for the CD and CD player, just like they said it was all over for vinyl records and turntables about 20 years ago. The world is a different place now though, a lot more people with disposable income, so even a niche market is tens of millions of people when you look at it on a global scale.

I'd buy a high end player second-hand for 3 or 4 hundred, don't go to a dealer and pay the same for a new one that will just be some CE tat. I mean this isn't an either/or thing. It is possible to own a cd player and CDs and still use a streaming service as well.

Stratmangler
02-09-2018, 10:06

I disagree about the mastering.
Often they're derived from the same source.

I use Spotify as a streaming service, and Spotify stream material that has been treated with lossy compression.
Whilst Spotify files can sound very good, they do not hold a candle up to the CD version, or a lossless rip of the CD.

Stratmangler
02-09-2018, 10:10
Why rip your CDs at all?

Considering that the CD player is non functioning it makes great sense to rip the CDs.
With a local library you have something you can access when your internet connection or your streaming service are not working.

twotone
02-09-2018, 10:13
I couldn't tell you the last time I played a CD or indeed a record, I don't even own a CD player now. I've just recently sold an Arcam DVD27A which I only bought back in April for about £120, this was a £2k player back in 2003 when it was first released, I ended up moving it on for £100 last month.

I'm now the same with FM radio, I used to use the tuner all of the time but now I only use a Denon streamer for internet radio which includes Radio 2 Xtra and Radio four Extra or I use my iPhone to play internet radio via a Bose Mini II Soundlink speaker which is astonishingly good for the size of the speaker.

I honestly can't believe how things have changed so quickly, it's the same with movies which we now watch via an ATV four, just fire up the iTunes store app on the ATV pick a movie to rent and watch or occasionally we'll buy one.

I've a load of CDs, vinyl, DVDs and Blurays and they are just not getting used now.

twotone
02-09-2018, 10:22
Considering that the CD player is non functioning it makes great sense to rip the CDs.
With a local library you have something you can access when your internet connection or your streaming service are not working.

I've had this conversation with people for years (I'm a plumber) when I would be quoting to replace their boilers and the standard nonsense reply was 'Oh, I'll keep the cold water storage tank just in case the water goes off' or 'I don't want a combi because blah de blah same shit' so they live with an outdated central heating boiler because 'it never breaks down, apparently which is patent pish.

I've lived in my own house (s) for the past 38 years, four of them, and I can honestly say that the water has been turned off by the water board for maybe an hour on maybe two occasions in all of that time, it's the same with broadband I really can't recall losing broadband for any length of time in the 13 years that we've lived in this current house.

I've also lived with two combi boilers in two separate houses since 1992 and neither boiler has/had let me down in all of those years, the current boiler is now 12 years old and I've spent about £100 on parts in all of that time.

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 10:23
At the moment I still intend to buy another CD player, probably not new. I have been offered a couple, but so far nothing suitable locally .
I have lots of tracks in my iTunes library unfortunately in a variety of formats and I would like to move that from my MacBook Pro laptop to a Nas.
So looking to source a decent CD player and Streamer.

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 10:25
I've had this conversation with people for years (I'm a plumber) when I would be quoting to replace their boilers and the standard nonsense reply was 'Oh, I'll keep the cold water storage tank just in case the water goes off' or 'I don't want a combi because blah de blah same shit' so they live with an outdated central heating boiler because 'it never breaks down, apparently which is patent pish.

I've lived in my own house (s) for the past 38 years, four of them, and I can honestly say that the water has been turned off by the water board for maybe an hour on maybe two occasions in all of that time, it's the same with broadband I really can't recall losing broadband for any length of time in the 13 years that we've lived in this current house.

I've also lived with two combi boilers in two separate houses since 1992 and neither boiler has/had let me down in all of those years, the current boiler is now 12 years old and I've spent about £100 on parts in all of that time.

My boiler is fine Tony, a lot more reliable than my Virgin media service.

StanleyB
02-09-2018, 10:30
I have read the whole thread but I still can't figure out what make and model CDP it is, and what the fault is? Was that in a different topic?

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 10:35
I have read the whole thread but I still can't figure out what make and model CDP it is, and what the fault is? Was that in a different topic?

It was a Marantz Dr 6000 and
Unit requires Laser Traverse Mechanism Assy. Regrettably spare part has been discontinued by manufacturer. No Longer Available.

struth
02-09-2018, 10:38

on my first combi, and had zero trouble. saves a fortune too:)

Stratmangler
02-09-2018, 10:40
I really can't recall losing broadband for any length of time in the 13 years that we've lived in this current house.

The majority of broadband provision in the UK is over a telephone line, and there are a multitude of things that can occur to cause the service to fail.
You've been very lucky.

struth
02-09-2018, 10:42
I couldn't tell you the last time I played a CD or indeed a record, I don't even own a CD player now. I've just recently sold an Arcam DVD27A which I only bought back in April for about £120, this was a £2k player back in 2003 when it was first released, I ended up moving it on for £100 last month.

I'm now the same with FM radio, I used to use the tuner all of the time but now I only use a Denon streamer for internet radio which includes Radio 2 Xtra and Radio four Extra or I use my iPhone to play internet radio via a Bose Mini II Soundlink speaker which is astonishingly good for the size of the speaker.

I honestly can't believe how things have changed so quickly, it's the same with movies which we now watch via an ATV four, just fire up the iTunes store app on the ATV pick a movie to rent and watch or occasionally we'll buy one.

I've a load of CDs, vinyl, DVDs and Blurays and they are just not getting used now.

i usually buy my films, usually when on offer, via itunes or amazon. stream them and save space etc. broadband is fibre and not had any major issues since ive had it, from 2 suppliers.

twotone
02-09-2018, 10:43
The majority of broadband provision in the UK is over a telephone line, and there are a multitude of things that can occur to cause the service to fail.
You've been very lucky.

Doubt it, I had BT Broadband for years and before that 02 and Sky, rarely an issue with any of them although I've now moved to Virgin cable because BT speeds were/are pish for a modern home but it still worked.

twotone
02-09-2018, 10:48
My boiler is fine Tony, a lot more reliable than my Virgin media service.

I've been with them for the last four months and find the service very good indeed, I read all of the negative stuff about their poor customer service etc but so far so good.

BT Business is very good for customer service (still have their phone line) but normal BT CS is terrible or was and BT now owns EE/TMobile who I've been with for about 20 years but so far nothing has really changed with them yet and it's still a very good service IMO.

twotone
02-09-2018, 10:51
i usually buy my films, usually when on offer, via itunes or amazon. stream them and save space etc. broadband is fibre and not had any major issues since ive had it, from 2 suppliers.

We've bought about 80 movies from Apple Grant, unbelievably easy to buy or rent and they have a very good catalogue of movies especially older classic ones, you can rent a decent film from 99p which we do often.

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 10:55
We've bought about 80 movies from Apple Grant, unbelievably easy to buy or rent and they have a very good catalogue of movies especially older classic ones, you can rent a decent film from 99p which we do often.

I will be renting a couple of movies this week for the holiday flights next week

Macca
02-09-2018, 11:38
I disagree about the mastering.
Often they're derived from the same source.

From the same source as what? You've only got to look on the DR Database to see that many re-issues have a far lower DR. It maybe that the streaming service offers the less compressed mastering but there's no guarantee of that, and if their version of the album is one that has been dynamically compressed then you've no option. I'm not talking about lossy or lossless here, that's a different thing altogether. But you know that.

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 11:50
No suggestions on which Streamer to choose?

Stratmangler
02-09-2018, 11:51
Doubt it, I had BT Broadband for years and before that 02 and Sky, rarely an issue with any of them although I've now moved to Virgin cable because BT speeds were/are pish for a modern home but it still worked.

When I had a BT line I had cause to call them out to fix it on at least 7 or 8 occasions.

The pole from which the service was fed is in the open on a hillside, and when there was a combination of heavy rain and high wind water used to get blown up into the connection box on the pole, which in turn would get across the connections and have current passed through it, and over the course of a few such incidents there would be a noticeable build up off copper sulphate sludge, which would make for a poor and noisy line connection, which in turn would cause my broadband service to fail.

When the pole was installed some dopey sod didn't think of sticking the connection box on the opposite side to the windward side.
It didn't help that my line was on pair 20, which is closest to the aperture at the bottom of the connection box.

The annoying thing is that when I reported the problem, each time I was told it would be 7-10 days before an engineer could turn up.
When one eventually did turn up (first time round), the engineer traced it back to the pole, but not before replacing the dropwire between the pole and the house. It was only when terminating the new cable that he found the copper sulphate sludge over the screw terminals and the bare wire ends of the original dropwire - he brought what he'd found down to show me.

From then on I always made sure that I was around whenever I had a BT engineer coming to fix the fault, told them where the problem was likely to be, and saved them a whole load time fault finding.
Except for the last time, when the guy decided to ignore my advice, and managed to extend a 5 minute job into a couple of hours, first of all cutting my neighbour's service off, then giving me the neighbour's line - it was fucking hilarious NOT! Anyway, once he'd managed to get the line service back into the appropriate dwellings, the line noise issue was still on mine, so he got the big ladder off the top of the van, got on his PPE, went up the pole, and found exactly what I'd told him he'd find, repaired it in the manner I'd told him it would need repairing in, and bingo, problem was gone.
The BT Engineer was gone bloody quick too, after I'd given him a flea in the ear. Two hours wasted, and he could have been done and on his way in five bloody minutes :steam:

Stratmangler
02-09-2018, 11:55
From the same source as what? You've only got to look on the DR Database to see that many re-issues have a far lower DR. It maybe that the streaming service offers the less compressed mastering but there's no guarantee of that, and if their version of the album is one that has been dynamically compressed then you've no option. I'm not talking about lossy or lossless here, that's a different thing altogether. But you know that.

You're on about something else altogether.

Pick a current album on Spotify.
Buy the CD of the same in the supermarket, or on Amazon.
They will be from the same master.

Macca
02-09-2018, 12:00
You're on about something else altogether.

Pick an album on Spotify.
Buy the CD of the same in the supermarket, or on Amazon.
They will likely as not be from the same master.

Because the cd in Tesco or Amazon is the latest version. If I'm buying a cd I try to get the original release from the 1980s. Okay, that's not always possible but that's the only way to have control over what mastering you are listening to.

twotone
02-09-2018, 12:02

Aurilac or that node thing seems to be the weapons of choice these days but I'm using an old Denon streamer which cost me £199 about four years ago and it is brilliant but I don't stream from any of the music services.

I also stream from my MacBook Pro (doing that right now) and my iPhone.

There's also that other thing (innous zen) that rips and stores your CDs and has a Dac onboard too but I think it's about £1000 looks good though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Innuos-Mini-Audio-Server-Black-2TB/dp/B01HI9IB4M/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_107_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GXBJ6NGSCNR1J4G64R91

Stratmangler
02-09-2018, 12:28
Because the cd in Tesco or Amazon is the latest version

Correct!
Now the other year I bought an album by John Patitucci

https://s20.postimg.cc/5zcvaxy5p/Folder.jpg

It came out in 2015.
The mastering on Spotify and on the CD is one and the same.
On Spotify is has been subject to lossy encoding.
On Spotify it sounds very good, but the CD, and the lossless rip I actually play, sound noticeably better.

The remainder of your post speaks volumes about your music listening habits.
Granted, you mention the issue of dynamic compression, but that's a side issue.
What if the OP doesn't listen to music from the 1980s?

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 13:27
A lot of my vinyl is from the 70’s and 80’s, the cds are from the last 30 years at the moment I downloaded from Apple Music play through my MacBook Pro to my dac and amp.

mikmas
02-09-2018, 13:46

The Innuous Zen Mini gets a good press recently ... available new at around £700
https://blog.audiot.co.uk/blog/2016/11/11/introducing-the-innuos-zen-mini-mk2-cd-ripper-streamer-and-music-server

There is also the Brennan B2 which for some reason I keep getting popups for:
https://www.brennan.co.uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brennan-B2-2Tb-Black/dp/B017Q9MMSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535829153&sr=8-1&keywords=brennan+b2

It's basically a Raspberry Pi based ripper and streamer with built in HDD - cost less than Innuous but no idea about dependability :scratch:

I think you can use both for CD playing as well ....

Personally I just use my Mac Mini with a DAC ;)

willbewill
02-09-2018, 14:13
Because the cd in Tesco or Amazon is the latest version. If I'm buying a cd I try to get the original release from the 1980s. Okay, that's not always possible but that's the only way to have control over what mastering you are listening to.

I have 4 versions of Sgt Peppers on my Vortexbox:

Original 1967 - ripped from CD
2009 remaster - ripped from CD
50th Anniversary - ripped from CD
50th Anniversary, deluxe Hi-Res

they all sound different, I tend to play the 1967 (because I know it best) and the deluxe (because it is very different)

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 15:16
The Innuous Zen Mini gets a good press recently ... available new at around £700
https://blog.audiot.co.uk/blog/2016/11/11/introducing-the-innuos-zen-mini-mk2-cd-ripper-streamer-and-music-server

There is also the Brennan B2 which for some reason I keep getting popups for:
https://www.brennan.co.uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brennan-B2-2Tb-Black/dp/B017Q9MMSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535829153&sr=8-1&keywords=brennan+b2

It's basically a Raspberry Pi based ripper and streamer with built in HDD - cost less than Innuous but no idea about dependability :scratch:

I think you can use both for CD playing as well ....

Personally I just use my Mac Mini with a DAC ;)

The Zen mini was my list to look at

Macca
02-09-2018, 15:49
Correct!
Now the other year I bought an album by John Patitucci

https://s20.postimg.cc/5zcvaxy5p/Folder.jpg

It came out in 2015.
The mastering on Spotify and on the CD is one and the same.
On Spotify is has been subject to lossy encoding.
On Spotify it sounds very good, but the CD, and the lossless rip I actually play, sound noticeably better.

The remainder of your post speaks volumes about your music listening habits.
Granted, you mention the issue of dynamic compression, but that's a side issue.
What if the OP doesn't listen to music from the 1980s?

Hey I freely admit I listen to next to nothing made after about 1995. But all the classic albums from the 1960s and 1970s were issued on CD in the 1980s. And I'm assuming that the op listens to them at least sometimes as that's all the best music. What mastering is being used for Are You Experienced or Led Zep III on Spotify or whatever? I suppose if he has them all on vinyl then he can use vinyl. I'll grant you that if you only want streaming to listen to post '95 then there's no issue as if the CD has heavy compression will be likely be just as bad with the streamed version.

Dynamic compression really does make a difference. If a new release is heavily compressed then you can chalk it down to being what the artist wanted so that's fair enough even if it is shite. But there's no excuse for wrecking the classic stuff with it.

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 15:55
I think from memory I only have about 2 albums on vinyl and cd, I only bought cds because the albums were being being released on vinyl at the time.

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 17:00
Interesting not much interest in the Cambridge or Arcam products

sq225917
02-09-2018, 17:11
Out of interest what Marantz cd player is it that's frizzed?

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 17:18
Out of interest what Marantz cd player is it that's frizzed?

Dr 6000 cd recorder

Edward
02-09-2018, 18:10
I took my Marantz CD player in for repair the other day, and afterwards took a trip into one of the hifi dealers to see what was currently available and also should I tip my toe into the streaming world.
The staff were very friendly and helpful although there was no interest in selling my CD player only streaming with a Nas and Linn streamer being their suggested path, probably around £2200.

Today it was confirmed that the CD player was not worthy of repair, the spare parts being no longer available. As we were the city center today I dropped into Richer Sounds to see what the had to offer, the main suggestions were either a Cambridge Streamer CXN at £800, or an Arcam cds50 which is a Sacd player and streamer at £700.

I was thinking of a Bluesound Vault as a possibility but have deceived I will probably move my music library to a Nas.

Been an interesting couple of days.

All suggestions welcome.

Couple of friends use the Cambridge Audio Azur 851N player and love it. I've often played with these streamers at their place and it is very good. Lots of features so can be used in a variety of different ways. Has DACs, digital preamp and a whole array of features. Only downside I saw was that it does not recognise embedded artwork (may have been fixed by now). Cambridge Audio can and do often update the features remotely (e.g. Tidal in the past few months).

rmcin626
02-09-2018, 18:27
Couple of friends use the Cambridge Audio Azur 851N player and love it. I've often played with these streamers at their place and it is very good. Lots of features so can be used in a variety of different ways. Has DACs, digital preamp and a whole array of features. Only downside I saw was that it does not recognise embedded artwork (may have been fixed by now). Cambridge Audio can and do often update the features remotely (e.g. Tidal in the past few months).

Good to know, thanks

SteveW
11-09-2018, 09:58
Was contemplating some of the same issues especially after my experiences over the last couple of days... might be of some use.
So I have a Kenwood dp x9010 transport bought a while ago from a guy in Wales from AOS (sorry forgotten who). Anyway, it’s always been ok fed through a Caiman with Longdog linear supply. Preferred a rpi/iqaudio using a power bank fed from Ethernet NAS however.
Until yesterday morning.
So a couple of weeks ago I got a Chord Mojo to go on holiday with.
It was fantastic feeding my Sennheiser 650’s on the plane using my iPhone. Not only that but it has two headphone out 3.5 mm so I could enjoy watching films from my wife’s iPad along with her.
Yesterday morning (2nd week of hols!!) I thought I might see what it was like using the Kenwood into the Mojo and then switch it to line out into my Lyngdorf/Harbeth P3ESR’s.
Just one of those OMG moments.
It’s had me scrambling into the attic fishing out cds that I’ve stored away for years.
Can’t quite believe I’m listening to the same machine. Detail/3D space etc etc

I don’t have the facility to feed the raspberry pi (well pies actually as I’ve got a few) into the mojo yet
I need to get a digi out thing and pull out the iqaudio Dacs to compare, but I have a feeling I know what the result will be.
Happy days

Ok, so the mojo was pushing £400. However given that it’s portable (battery only), the flexibility it gives is awesome and could be used for cd, streaming, portable audio... and of course in the car.

GrahamS
11-09-2018, 10:52
it's the same with broadband I really can't recall losing broadband for any length of time in the 13 years that we've lived in this current house.

I live less than 3 miles from the local BT exchange so it's not as though we are out in the sticks. Our telephone line (aka Broadband) has gone down three times in the past 12 months, each time for over 24 hours. Once due to cable theft at the exchange, once due to flooding at the exchange and once due to "technical issues" at the exchange.

rmcin626
11-09-2018, 13:04
Was contemplating some of the same issues especially after my experiences over the last couple of days... might be of some use.
So I have a Kenwood dp x9010 transport bought a while ago from a guy in Wales from AOS (sorry forgotten who). Anyway, it’s always been ok fed through a Caiman with Longdog linear supply. Preferred a rpi/iqaudio using a power bank fed from Ethernet NAS however.
Until yesterday morning.
It was fantastic feeding my Sennheiser 650’s on the plane using my iPhone. Not only that but it has two headphone out 3.5 mm so I could enjoy watching films from my wife’s iPad along with her.
Yesterday morning (2nd week of hols!!) I thought I might see what it was like using the Kenwood into the Mojo and then switch it to line out into my Lyngdorf/Harbeth P3ESR’s.
It’s had me scrambling into the attic fishing out cds that I’ve stored away for years.

I don’t have the facility to feed the raspberry pi (well pies actually as I’ve got a few) into the mojo yet
I need to get a digi out thing and pull out the iqaudio Dacs to compare, but I have a feeling I know what the result will be.
Happy days

Ok, so the mojo was pushing £400. However given that it’s portable (battery only), the flexibility it gives is awesome and could be used for cd, streaming, portable audio... and of course in the car.

Might be an option, will investigate further when I’m home at the weekend after a wee holiday

SteveW
14-09-2018, 06:51
Just another random thought...
Guy called Mike P is selling some great Sony CD players on pfm.
I am very tempted, but holiday has left no cash.
Love to hear what these would sound like through the chord mojo (the coax out needs a wee adapter).
In the meantime I’m waiting delivery of an IQaudiO digi out to see what the mojo does for streaming through rpi.

rmcin626
15-09-2018, 12:30
Just another random thought...
Guy called Mike P is selling some great Sony CD players on pfm.
I am very tempted, but holiday has left no cash.
Love to hear what these would sound like through the chord mojo (the coax out needs a wee adapter).
In the meantime I’m waiting delivery of an IQaudiO digi out to see what the mojo does for streaming through rpi.

Unfortunately those Sony players collection only and a few hundred miles away

rmcin626
16-09-2018, 13:59
Until yesterday morning.

Happy days

Now that I am back from a wee week in the sun, I’ve started looking at the Mojo as an option.

I could pick up a cd transport plus mojo and maybe even the Chord poly which would also provide streaming in house and as a portable option which also appeals.

Anyone tried this?

SteveW
18-09-2018, 20:24
Hi Robin
The last few days with the mojo have been a revelation.
I bought the iPhone usb/photo out which enabled you connect an iPhone into the mojo. Then downloaded the Onkyo app playing files I put on the phone via Waltr 2. Sounds complicated, but isn’t really.
Allowed me to play flac files into the mojo and then via a mini jack lead into the car.
Fantastic results.
However it’s though the main system that I’ve been blown away.

Fixed up a raspberry pi with digi out into the mojo.
Also discovered that you can output the mojo into RCA leads via one of those mini jack/phono adptors.

So now I’m streaming everything from my NAS as well as playing cd’s from my transport.

The shear enjoyment from this little wonder has been awesome.
Now I need a poly. No doubt in my mind now. Just need to find £500 from somewhere.

rmcin626
19-09-2018, 08:39
Hi Robin
The last few days with the mojo have been a revelation.
I bought the iPhone usb/photo out which enabled you connect an iPhone into the mojo. Then downloaded the Onkyo app playing files I put on the phone via Waltr 2. Sounds complicated, but isn’t really.
Allowed me to play flac files into the mojo and then via a mini jack lead into the car.
Fantastic results.
However it’s though the main system that I’ve been blown away.

Fixed up a raspberry pi with digi out into the mojo.
Also discovered that you can output the mojo into RCA leads via one of those mini jack/phono adptors.

So now I’m streaming everything from my NAS as well as playing cd’s from my transport.

The shear enjoyment from this little wonder has been awesome.
Now I need a poly. No doubt in my mind now. Just need to find £500 from somewhere.

Thanks Steve,
I am having a look at what cables/adapters I would require to use the Mojo in my main system and also with my IPhone 7 and IPad.