PDA

View Full Version : WANTED - Vintage Klipsch La Scala

Dylanthecat
01-09-2018, 09:49
Hi All, looking for a pair of vintage Klipsch La Scala speakers. Please PM. Many thanks, Martin

Pepperamip
02-09-2018, 07:34
Hi All, looking for a pair of vintage Klipsch La Scala speakers. Please PM. Many thanks, Martin
Had any luck with this Martin? I've got a pair of KG4.5 which have been tweaked and I love them. Not in the same league as the La Scala's but a fine listen nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dylanthecat
02-09-2018, 09:33
Hi Paul, no luck to date. I may need to get a friend stateside to pick some up and ship over.
I have a pair of Heresy SM (Stage Monitors) which are very good especially when driven by valves. In fact I will never drive them again with SS. I am toying with a high end re veneer from a cabinet maker that I know as they lived in a West Coasts sun room and therefore have acquired a Key West shabby look but are as new internally. Martin

Pepperamip
02-09-2018, 10:38
Heard good things about the Heresys too although never heard a pair.

Re veneering would be money well spent. Can't you just do a sand down and re stain or are they past that?

Dylanthecat
02-09-2018, 11:32
Unfortunately the veneer all dried out. I put a whole bottle of restorer lotion on them and it just sucked away. Followed by a heated beeswax which disappeared in a similar manner. It stopped them deteriorating further though as I say purely cosmetic. Folk on the Klipsch Forum were split 50/ 50 on whether to keep them in their current state.

Zebra Wood or Wenge with a high gloss finish might look good. They deserve a statement. This is the original thread that I posted on the Klipsch Forum:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/172516-heresy-help/

Pepperamip
02-09-2018, 17:43
I had a pair of b&w cm1s in a faux wenge. I liked them. It would be nice to see the veneer up against the cabinet before you pull the trigger but I don't suppose you have that luxury? Out of interest did you purchase any of the Bob Crites upgrades. Mine have bob crites 'tweeters' and his capacitor kit which I soldiered in myself.

Elephantears
03-09-2018, 18:03
I had a really nice pair of La Scalas a few years ago but sold them to Tony L, who runs pinkfishmedia. You could try contacting him and see if he's interested in selling them, as he doesn't use them in his main system.

Dylanthecat
03-09-2018, 22:29
Thank you Andrew for the heads up. How did you find them? Martin

Ninanina
03-09-2018, 22:39
One of the very best speakers I ever heard were a pair of La Scala's..

They were being fed by some valve amp that was literally falling to bits but they still sounded fantastic...

I actually had a pair of La Scala's at home for a few weeks but could not get them to work properly in the room I had at the time

I did own two pairs of Heresy's but to be honest the La Scala's are in a totally different league altogether....

If you have the room for a pair of La Scala's you are in for a treat Martin especially if you are feeding them with a SET amp...