PDA

View Full Version : ADC Accutrac 4000 Turntable

Rare Bird
08-04-2010, 17:39
I've been looking for a mint one of these for a bit now but no joy, loads across the Atlantic tho..Anyone know what they fetch used so i can offer up soon as one shows?

Heres a pic below if no one is familiar with em..

DSJR
08-04-2010, 18:05
About tuppence I hope - uggghhh............................ ;)

Yes, I remember us stocking them - and sending back all the faulty ones..

I'm amazed that any survived TBH.

Rare Bird
08-04-2010, 18:09
About tuppence I hope - uggghhh............................ ;)

Yes, I remember us stocking them - and sending back all the faulty ones..

I'm amazed that any survived TBH.

I know you say the same every time. ;) For collection purposes hear.. The Sony TTS3000 with PUA1600 will be my useable TT when i manage to get it. :lolsign:

Dave Cawley
08-04-2010, 18:10
£200+ if it works.

Dave

Rare Bird
08-04-2010, 18:13
Another simular looking vinyl grinder i'm looking for that i'm sure you'll love as equally Monitor Audio ET500 !!

DSJR
08-04-2010, 18:18
Your getting better Andre. The touch controls added some luxury and IIRC the Matsushita motor was quite well behaved...:)

John
08-04-2010, 18:37
I remember seeing that as a kid and really wanting one I used to like bling a lot more then;)

Rare Bird
08-04-2010, 19:14
yeh mine was fab too :lolsign: , wobbly Rotel type platter. At least it had an outboard power supply so must have beeen something brill, well thats what people do init? :lol:

DSJR
08-04-2010, 19:18
Andre, why not a lenco G99 while they're still "just" affordable, to go with the hope of a TTS300?

Rare Bird
08-04-2010, 19:22
Don't like em dave got a GL75 but dislike that..

DSJR
08-04-2010, 19:25
Why? i think a GL75 with new audio-exit cable and bearing blocks and a thoroughly cleaned idler and platter driving surface is a very fine thing indeed - even the much maligned arm! I owned several over the years so do speak with experience..

John
08-04-2010, 19:46
The Lenco is really worth a go Andre Once the rumble issues are sorted you have something that is capable of equaling £2000 to £3000 TT I heard quite a few when they been well plinthed and have really enjoyed them (if not I know a good home for one!)
I Know you could do a great job with this

Rare Bird
08-04-2010, 21:40
Why? i think a GL75 with new audio-exit cable and bearing blocks and a thoroughly cleaned idler and platter driving surface is a very fine thing indeed - even the much maligned arm! I owned several over the years so do speak with experience..

No no all vintage gear stays totally original. This one is mint boxed virtually no use, complete with Lenco plinth/prop lid which makes it even more original. I have no intention on using it.

Beobloke
09-04-2010, 11:00
£200+ if it works.

Dave

I think that may be a little optimistic, Dave. I paid £70 and £83 for the last two I bought, and the first was from a dealer, boxed with all its original gubbins! I'd say £100-£130 tops.

I actually have the full set now, sad geek that I am -

ADC Accutrac 4000 - Direct Drive, single play with track selection
ADC Accutrac +6 - Belt Drive, 6 LP autochanger with motorised spindle and track selection (only sold in the US)
BSR Accuglide XR60 - a badge engineered lower budget version of the Accutrac +6 with basically the same features (also US only)
BSR Accuglide XR50 - simpler version of the XR60 with the funky autochange option but no track selection (also US only)

The big problem with these decks are the sensors that are used for positioning and moving the arm, and the cartridges. Once a sensor goes, the deck will not initialise (my XR60 just repeatedly goes through its initialisation routine when powered up and will do nothing else) and the arm assembly is a sod to take apart!

The cartridges for the 4000, +6 and XR60 are all specific to each unit as they contain the infra-red sensor for track selection. Stylii are becoming very hard to find and, whilst a standard ADC QLM type will fit, it blocks the sensor and so the deck does not operate properly!

Sound-wise they're OK but not giant killers. The 4000 is the best of the bunch and is quite sweet but if you have the version of the +6 with the remote volume adjustment circuit, this ruins the sound quality - I shall be bypassing mine at some point.

All in all, fun, bonkers and addictive but if you're thinking of buying one, MAKE SURE IT WORKS! They are controlled by application specific ICs which have long been unobtainable - generally when they stop working, they don't start again.