PDA

View Full Version : tidal desktop

struth
28-08-2018, 14:13
Ive noticed the app doesnt seem to be upwrapping masters the same as Audirvana. only get 16/48 where i get 24/96 from Audirvana. Is this right or an error?

Sherwood
28-08-2018, 16:42
Tidal on my desktop pc plays at the full resolution.

Stratmangler
28-08-2018, 16:46
Is there not some kind of restriction that's browser based?
Such as having to use Chrome?

struth
28-08-2018, 17:10
Tidal on my desktop pc plays at the full resolution.

my dac only show normal 16/48 via tidal's desktop.

struth
28-08-2018, 17:10
Is there not some kind of restriction that's browser based?
Such as having to use Chrome?

was using the desktop app not a browser Chris.

Stratmangler
28-08-2018, 17:17
was using the desktop app not a browser Chris.

Gotcha!
I don't piddle about with all this, that, and the other - my Squeezebox setup copes with everything I need it to, so I don't get bogged down with this app and that app.

struth
28-08-2018, 17:22
must be tidal and maybe not playing masters to my dac(smsl). audirvana does, and sounds great. tbh i think i prefer their layout too... looks like im going to have to stump out for it.
roon doesnt work with my ipad4 so they can take one ;). for the price they charge it should. not that i need it but for that price i'd expect it. not so fussed audirvana doesnt have a remote for windows as its a lot cheaper. when it comes i'm pretty sure it will be same...actually just looked and it should work with ipad.... i got an email from them saying it should be compatible with windows version very soon

Boyse6748
28-08-2018, 18:15
Grant, it’s a shame your not into Roon. Steaming via a MicroRendu is sublime. It’s a piss poor price to to Pay for everything that’s available, including MQA Files.

Roon endpoint is the business....

Each too there own!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

struth
28-08-2018, 18:34
Grant, it’s a shame your not into Roon. Steaming via a MicroRendu is sublime. It’s a piss poor price to to Pay for everything that’s available, including MQA Files.

Roon endpoint is the business....

Each too there own!!!!

roon needs a 64bit ipad or phone for the remote. its also several times more expensive alas. I cant really afford either and not paying 110 a year without a remote.
the Audirvana plus 3 for windows is still in beta but works pretty well, and sounds damn good with tidal. get all your music in to it too, so maybe a poor man's roon if you like.:)

Was reading up on the tidal app and someone with a cyrus dac said it didnt work with it either (master wise) so looks like this may be tidal's fault.
No biggy with being able to unwrap with A+3.
Roon certainly looks the buisiness

Boyse6748
28-08-2018, 19:00
Grant,

$450 seams like a lot of money.....
For a lifetime!!!!!!! Got to be a bargain. How many albums can you buy for that!

It really is the dogs!

Try it...., for God's sake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherwood
28-08-2018, 19:16
Grant,

For a lifetime!!!!!!! Got to be a bargain. How many albums can you buy for that!

It really is the dogs!

Try it...., for God's sake!

Perhaps! If I was 21! :wheniwasaboy:

Geoff

BTW As far as I am aware, Roon does not provide content like Tidal or Spotify

Boyse6748
28-08-2018, 19:19
You don't have to be 21[emoji106]

Sherwood
28-08-2018, 19:29
You don't have to be 21[emoji106]

Roon should practice age based pricing! I know a good actuary!

Boyse6748
28-08-2018, 19:29
Perhaps! If I was 21! :wheniwasaboy:

Geoff

BTW As far as I am aware, Roon does not provide content like Tidal or Spotify

I'm very sorry.. You are so wrong!!

Peter

struth
28-08-2018, 19:32
It's more than I could afford tbh. Pretty sure the lifetime licence will either get a lot dearer or be scrapped. It's currently paying the work in progress.
Not saying it's not worth it but out of my league at moment anyway. If I sell up all my vinyl it might get revisited

Sherwood
28-08-2018, 19:34
I'm very sorry.. You are so wrong!!

Peter

So if I buy Roon I don't need to buy any content and can discontinue my Tidal subscription and junk my ripped flac files?

Boyse6748
28-08-2018, 19:34
God bless.!

Each to there own!

Peter.

walpurgis
28-08-2018, 19:36
For a lifetime!!!!!!!

Internet sites and services have a habit of being bought out or folding. I'd not pay that much on spec.

Sherwood
28-08-2018, 19:38
God bless.!

Each to there own!

Peter.

Is that a no?

Boyse6748
28-08-2018, 19:38
I think you have miss represent what’s on offer.

Each to their own!!

Edward
28-08-2018, 19:40
I spoke with the Roon guy in Munich earlier this year and he strongly hinted the lifetime plan will be scrapped at some point as they lose money after a while (I guess at the 4 year mark).

The lifetime or annual Roon plan does not give you albums - you still need to either have your music locally or pay for Tidal. Tidal can, of course, be streamed through Roon as a service thus giving (almost) unlimited albums.

struth
28-08-2018, 19:46
Much how I thought would happen in nearish future. If anyone is going to do it it should be soon.

Looks to be nice software but. Needs fairly modern equipment all 64 bit and plenty memory etc.

Boyse6748
28-08-2018, 19:46
Hum!!

Just been too a Roon Meeting at Oxford Audio. That’s not what I was told!

However, you guys must know better than I !!!!

End of conversation.

Sherwood
28-08-2018, 19:50
I think you have miss represent what’s on offer.

Each to their own!!

I don't think so. The monthly cost of a Roon subscription is about the same as that of a monthly subscription to Spotify or Tidal for their standard service. This seems excessive to me given that Roon does not come with any content of its own other than meta data. The cost of a lifetime subscription also seems excessive given the volatility of the internet music business and the high failure rate of such ventures.

I accept that Roon is a good product but it is the pricing and business model I challenge.

Geoff

struth
28-08-2018, 19:55
The lifetime licences are usually good value if the company survives long term.
I bought a couple for malwarebytes when they were smaller and they are still valid today for their latest products. So that's been a huge loss to them but bonus for me. It's a great product

Boyse6748
28-08-2018, 19:56
Gentlemen,

I give up..... this is not an argument I wish to pursue.

Hear endeth the communication !.

Do what you wish to do.. I have my own agenda!!

Edward
28-08-2018, 19:57
Hum!!

Just been too a Roon Meeting at Oxford Audio. That’s not what I was told!

However, you guys must know better than I !!!!

End of conversation.

Peter, I'm genuinely confused. Are you saying that paying for Roon gets you Tidal as part of the Roon cost? Or something else?

kind regards
Edward

struth
28-08-2018, 20:07
No, dont think he is saying that. Its just a matter of taking a chance and you will be investing in the company really. Your pay-off is free roon for life(if it succeeds), unless they change the rules later.
as i say I did it with MWB(a single pc licence and a double pc licence.. think they were 29.99 and 19.99.. I also have one for win patrol, that i got when they were very small. they were bought over but the old owner made sure all the lifetime licences were kept.

Boyse6748
28-08-2018, 20:08
Edward,

I’ll answer you!

Yes, Tidal is a part of Roon and you have to pay for both!

I really don’t know where you are coming from!

Access to millions of albums is not free, or do we all live in a world of imagination.

This is cheaper than buying Vinyl and at MQA Download is far superior .

I will never convince you all........ so good luck.

Peter

struth
28-08-2018, 20:11
tidal is not part of roon. its accessible via roon.

Boyse6748
28-08-2018, 20:18
tidal is not part of roon. its accessible via roon.

No Grant, Tidal is not part of Roon! But access to Roon without Tidal is not possible.

Trust me.... I know! :::::::::::::: it’s cost me $450

Peter

struth
28-08-2018, 20:24
Of course you can. You dont HAVE to have both. you could just use roon labs for your own music if you wished.

Boyse6748
28-08-2018, 20:35
So if I buy Roon I don't need to buy any content and can discontinue my Tidal subscription and junk my ripped flac files?

Geoff,

No, it’s not quite that.

Ripped music is included in the Roon hub (just indicate where it is)
Tidal subscription is mandatory.

With the right DAC Mqa is fabulous....... do some research!

Peter

Stratmangler
28-08-2018, 20:40
Tidal subscription is mandatory

Doesn't say so on their website.
Why is it mandatory?

Sherwood
28-08-2018, 20:41
Geoff,

No, it’s not quite that.

Ripped music is included in the Roon hub (just indicate where it is)
Tidal subscription is mandatory.

With the right DAC Mqa is fabulous....... do some research!

Peter

FYI I have a Tidal subscription and have endorsed the quality of MQ files on this forum previously.

struth
28-08-2018, 20:43
fro a roon labs community page....22 june

Why Roon is fabulous, with or without Tidal

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/why-roon-is-fabulous-with-or-without-tidal/45034

Boyse6748
28-08-2018, 20:48
FYI I have a Tidal subscription and have endorsed the quality of MQ files on this forum previously.

Grant,

MQA is unfolded in Tidal (just once) do you have a DAC Hardware That unfolds the full MQA file.?

You really wouldn’t believe how good this is !

Peter

struth
28-08-2018, 21:42
Nope I just get the one via audirvana. Tidals unfold isn't working for me at moment via their app hence this thread to see if anyone else has same.
Ive contacted tidal about it.

Even with one unfold it's very good audirvana is extremely good software