PDA

View Full Version : Should we lose the Sub-Forums in Trade Impressions?

Ammonite Audio
27-08-2018, 13:29
I’ve chatted to Marco about the possibility of losing the individual sub-forums (Traders’ Rooms) in the trade section, and he asked me to post a thread to canvass thoughts from both trade and regular forum users.

It seemed a really good idea for traders to have individual rooms where they can post freely and where regular visistors can go to clearly defined areas. But, what seems to have occurred is a bit of an ‘arms race’ where traders jostle to keep their latest post visible on the main front page of the forum. Anything else is largely invisible to casual visitors. Having initially embraced the idea of separate trade rooms, I think that the time has come to lose the trade rooms and have a single Trade sub-forum, where all the recent posts can be clearly seen at a glance, hopefully to the benefit of all users and visitors. This is what we used to have at AoS and what PFM still operate.

So, please cast a vote and post your thoughts below.

Marco
27-08-2018, 14:49
Yes, could I please have some feedback on this, as if the majority would like to return to the old system, that's what we'll do:)

One point I'd make, however, is that it's not necessarily the case that any posts/sales ads that aren't in immediate view, on the main forum page, are "invisible", as I know for a fact that people also click on 'Trade Impressions', on the main page, and from there flick through the individual trade rooms, and of course view the latest posts that way.

Not everyone is so lazy that they only look at that last post showing on the main page!;)

Plus.... If anyone would like a sticky thread [acting as an on-going 'blog'] to appear at the top of this section of the forum (beside where this thread is now), such as Steve has, from Magna Audio, see here: https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?29401-Magna-Audio-News-amp-Product-Updates as well as a dedicated room, to advertise your company's products, then you need only ask.

That way, whatever you advertise will continually remain at the top!:cool:

Marco.

montesquieu
27-08-2018, 15:11
Inclined to agree with Hugo. It's very hard to see the posts from the people I follow if you don't spot them actually being made, while a lot of sub-forums haven't had a post in a long time

hifi_dave
27-08-2018, 15:19
I'm quite happy with the way it is now. Anyone interested in what the trade is doing or offering can scroll down and click on the company which interests them and see a whole load of information from that particular trade member, including old offers and posts. It's good for trade members to have their own sub section, IMO.

What is annoying are a few who constantly spam the forum with links to reviews and other nonsense, just so that they stay at the top. These companies play no part in the forum apart from this.

Quite a few of the trade sub sections haven't had posts for a number of years. These could be removed, making it tidier and more relevant.

Musicraft (Derby)
27-08-2018, 15:29
I am up for a single Trade forum.

hifi_dave
27-08-2018, 15:52
I also like the facility of having a 'blog' in the trade section. Not possible with a single column.

hifi_dave
27-08-2018, 16:05
I’ve chatted to Marco about the possibility of losing the individual sub-forums (Traders’ Rooms) in the trade section, and he asked me to post a thread to canvass thoughts from both trade and regular forum users.

It seemed a really good idea for traders to have individual rooms where they can post freely and where regular visistors can go to clearly defined areas. But, what seems to have occurred is a bit of an ‘arms race’ where traders jostle to keep their latest post visible on the main front page of the forum. Anything else is largely invisible to casual visitors. Having initially embraced the idea of separate trade rooms, I think that the time has come to lose the trade rooms and have a single Trade sub-forum, where all the recent posts can be clearly seen at a glance, hopefully to the benefit of all users and visitors. This is what we used to have at AoS and what PFM still operate.

So, please cast a vote and post your thoughts below.

Just been looking at the PFM trade sales section and what happens is, any post is quickly lost by regular spam posts. When I have posted with a sale item, it is lost at the bottom within a day or so. With the present AOS layout, my posts are clearly visible and listed for anyone clicking on my Radlett Audio section.

Obviously, the same with your Ammonite posts, which would be lost very quickly with all the later posts.

This is why Marco changed the layout to the way it is now.

Ammonite Audio
28-08-2018, 12:44
Clearly I disagree. Trade posts on PFM remain clearly visible for a reasonable length of time. For instance, in PFM's trade announcements section, today there are posts dating back nearly a fortnight, clearly visible on Page 1; however here on AoS someone has to make a deliberate effort to go to an individual trade room to see what's in there.

I don't think that most people idly clicking around forums can be bothered to delve into sub-forums unless they are very specifically looking for information from one trader.

Cycleallday
28-08-2018, 14:51
I like the system currently used so I can look at individual blogs.

A single one would just mean individual traders would get lost in the constant barrage of daily posts linking to reduced stock pages.

I can see why certain traders, who use this marketing approach, would prefer to change to a single blog.

For me I would just stop viewing the trade section.

mel

hifinutt
28-08-2018, 14:58
Inclined to agree with Hugo. It's very hard to see the posts from the people I follow if you don't spot them actually being made, while a lot of sub-forums haven't had a post in a long time

yes agree with this

Marco
28-08-2018, 16:08
Thanks for your feedback so far, chaps. We're always willing to listen to the views of our members, traders included.

However, much like the vote we took recently on politics, there will have to be a clear majority, one way of the other, for change to take place. It wouldn't be fair otherwise. And so far, among those who've voted, the poll results are neck and neck.

Marco.

Marco
28-08-2018, 16:36
Trade posts on PFM remain clearly visible for a reasonable length of time. For instance, in PFM's trade announcements section, today there are posts dating back nearly a fortnight, clearly visible on Page 1; however here on AoS someone has to make a deliberate effort to go to an individual trade room to see what's in there.

But you still have to click on 'Trade Announcements', in order to view the posts in question. They don't appear automatically. Essentially the same thing happens here, when you click on 'Trade Impressions', and a list of all recent posts from the traders listed, appears accordingly, which folks can then flick through.

However, the difference is, rather than wade through 100s of ads from different manufacturers, you can select only those from traders you're interested in. I suppose it depends on how you look at it:)

Marco.

rmcin626
28-08-2018, 17:14
I usually have a look through the Trade section, there are around 20 traders who have not posted for about 2 years, if they were removed it would be an improvement.

Marco
28-08-2018, 17:20
Yup, I plan to do a clear up, so in that respect, worry not:)

Marco.

smangus
28-08-2018, 18:26
I like having seperate trade rooms. I can easily look at specific companies and see what they are doing rather than wade through loads of posts that don't interest me.

walpurgis
28-08-2018, 19:29
I like having seperate trade rooms. I can easily look at specific companies and see what they are doing rather than wade through loads of posts that don't interest me.

I agree.

hifi_dave
29-08-2018, 11:29
But you still have to click on 'Trade Announcements', in order to view the posts in question. They don't appear automatically. Essentially the same thing happens here, when you click on 'Trade Impressions', and a list of all recent posts from the traders listed, appears accordingly, which folks can then flick through.

However, the difference is, rather than wade through 100s of ads from different manufacturers, you can select only those from traders you're interested in. I suppose it depends on how you look at it:)

Marco.

Exactly so. I wasn't keen when you first announced it but am now converted. It works well.

With the current layout, it is so easy to scroll down the page to individual traders and view their posts, old and new. With the PFM system, posts are very quickly lost. During the busy Autumn and Winter months, some of my posts have lasted less than a day on the first page. With AOS they are there until I decide to post something new.

Mr. C
29-08-2018, 12:00
Having separate rooms works well here no problem, though as stated a few traders have not posted for a while (Trade subscription lapsed possibly?) in which case removal.

There are a few traders who set up daily updates if that works for them then fine, most do not. A few do this to keep their goods at the top of the tree, most people can work this out for themselves imho.

TAS is the best place to advertise your trade wares as it is very easy for all to see.

If it isn't broke do not fix it!

The traders sections are clear and concise, you know who is selling and what easily.

the little audio company
12-09-2018, 23:25
I think the sub forum for each advertiser is the best way to do it, and I’ve recommended that to other forums in the past too. At least this way, it’s easy to go to an advertiser you follow - if it’s a free for all, the threads will get lost amongst the numerous threads posted by those who just want to be seen. It also then becomes rife for thread bumping and spamming purely to keep a thread at the top of the page. This thread bumping adds nothing new to the thread, and is sometimes achieved by just repeating the previous post.

If it does become a free for all, I’d reconsider posting on this forum, as I’ve seen the spam-fests that result on other forums. It gets very annoying when you post something up in the morning, and by tea time you’re on page two because of the thread bumpers trying to keep themselves relevant. It’s a minority, but it happens.

surayne
19-09-2018, 06:53
I'd prefer a single section as finding listings in the sub-forums is tedious. Perhaps there could be sub-forums for trade news and blogs rather than sale listings?

Marco
19-09-2018, 08:22
Thanks for all your feedback, chaps:)

Having assessed your input, I think it's clear that the majority would rather leave things as they are, so that's what we'll do. However, we'll be having a general 'clear up' of the trade room, including removing all input from those whose accounts have elapsed and no longer contribute to the site, so that should help things a bit!

As ever, your feedback is valued, so if there are any other issues you'd like to discuss, please do so by starting an appropriate thread. Cheers!:cool:

Marco.

hifi_dave
17-06-2020, 16:41
Thanks for all your feedback, chaps:)

Having assessed your input, I think it's clear that the majority would rather leave things as they are, so that's what we'll do. However, we'll be having a general 'clear up' of the trade room, including removing all input from those whose accounts have elapsed and no longer contribute to the site, so that should help things a bit!

As ever, your feedback is valued, so if there are any other issues you'd like to discuss, please do so by starting an appropriate thread. Cheers!:cool:

Marco.

When will this be done ? It's annoying that members have to go through numerous, out of date posts to reach those who have posted new info.They are getting free advertising whereas those who pay are being lost in a long list.

Wegamus
17-06-2020, 17:38
When will this be done ? It's annoying that members have to go through numerous, out of date posts to reach those who have posted new info.They are getting free advertising whereas those who pay are being lost in a long list.

Change your name to Aardvark Audio to get to the top of the page :D

Marco
17-06-2020, 20:32

I'll try and remember, Dave, as soon as I have a spare couple of hours or so, and where that spare couple of hours isn't needed to do something else more important in the 'real world'... That's the problem at the moment, mate.

However, in the meantime, if any trusted, longterm member would be able to help, PM me and I'll give you temporary moderator rights, in order to enable you to do the necessary tidying up!:)

Marco.

Lawrence001
18-06-2020, 08:21
I'll try and remember, Dave, as soon as I have a spare couple of hours or so, and where that spare couple of hours isn't needed to do something else more important in the 'real world'... That's the problem at the moment, mate.

However, in the meantime, if any trusted, longterm member would be able to help, PM me and I'll give you temporary moderator rights, in order to enable you to do the necessary tidying up!:)

Marco.Would it be possible to move old stuff into an archive area that wouldn't appear on the front page but would still be available to those looking for information? It might relate to gear they have purchased in the past from those traders, or more general price or specification information.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

hifi_dave
18-06-2020, 09:03

Marco.

That would be good, when you have time. If I was more confident with the technicalities, I would do it.

Some of the old postings have just one post, so there's not a lot of lost information there if they are deleted.