PDA

View Full Version : Guilty pleasures...

Pigmy Pony
26-08-2018, 09:33
Don't know about anybody else, but in my early record buying years there were often these words from my mum which I dreaded: "While you're in the record shop can you pick me up..."

At the time appearing cool was everything, and to stand in the middle of a Saturday-busy shop staffed by what seemed to me a bunch of real music-snobs and ask for the latest Bee Gees single or "Stop the Cavalry" by Joe Dolchie (?) was too embarrassing for words. I would always try to include the words "It's for me mum!" as if that would make me cool again.

Anyway, now that I'm all grown up appearing cool doesn't matter one bit, and going on some wardrobe choices this year at Cranage, I'm not alone in this.:)

So what songs do you like, not necessarily purchases, maybe something that when it comes on the radio you turn it up a bit, and maybe have a bit of a sing along.

Here's a few of mine:

Sugababes: Freak Like Me
Take That: Never Forget
S Club 7: S Club Beat

Gazjam
26-08-2018, 09:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAsLDf-tYlg
The hookiest hook of any song to ooze out the 80's, and also had a thing for her...which helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHW8Qo1Yfgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xHQsMYosao

walpurgis
26-08-2018, 09:51
and also had a thing for her

Did she come and collect it? :D

Jac Hawk
26-08-2018, 09:53
Glen Campbell Wichita Lineman, my mum and dad had it on an LP, in my teens i would always moan about their music taste, it's strange to think when "cool" is taken out of the equation and with a few years of experience how many uncool artists and tracks have stood the test of time and how many artists that were the epitome of cool in the day are cringed at now.

walpurgis
26-08-2018, 10:15
Dad played only classical music. As a kid, I didn't really play anything on 'the gramophone'. Mum played classical on the piano now and then (as did I in my earlier teens, I was the best pianist in the house).

I migrated to listening to Kinks, Stones and Animals etc. at about sixteen and never looked back. Wasn't exactly overimpressed by any band until I first heard Crosby, Stills and Nash, King Crimson, Jefferson Airplane and the Beatles (after they discovered acid and stopped making just 'pop' songs).

Primalsea
26-08-2018, 10:27
Glen Campbell Wichita Lineman, my mum and dad had it on an LP, in my teens i would always moan about their music taste, it's strange to think when "cool" is taken out of the equation and with a few years of experience how many uncool artists and tracks have stood the test of time and how many artists that were the epitome of cool in the day are cringed at now.

Wichita Lineman is a great song! I sang it at karaoke once and my mate said it was the most depressing song he had ever heard :(

Firebottle
26-08-2018, 11:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGb5IweiYG8

Always a volume up moment.

willbewill
26-08-2018, 12:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGb5IweiYG8

Always a volume up moment.

Great track

Barry
26-08-2018, 13:41

Wichita Lineman is cool, as are several other Glen Campbell songs. :)

Barry
26-08-2018, 13:42
Great track

'Fever' by Peggy Lee

+1

Ian7633
26-08-2018, 13:56
A few years ago I would never have admitted this but I really like Andy Williams, I think it stems from my dad who was a fan so I heard his music from an early age. Following on from that another of dad's favourites was Tony Bennett who I'm also quite partial to.

Pigmy Pony
26-08-2018, 14:14
'Fever' by Peggy Lee

+1

+2. But this song was always cool - the problem was with us as youngsters, who were maybe too stupid to recognise quality. Or maybe our tastes were hobbled by the overpowering need to appear cool. Probably both.

Having said that, I don't know when it was that I became 'switched on' to songs like this. Perhaps it just creeps up on us, like nose hair.

Pigmy Pony
26-08-2018, 14:16
A few years ago I would never have admitted this but I really like Andy Williams, I think it stems from my dad who was a fan so I heard his music from an early age. Following on from that another of dad's favourites was Tony Bennett who I'm also quite partial to.

We've become our parents! :D

Barry
26-08-2018, 14:18

My guilty pleasure is Burt Bacharach and Dion Warwick, and this (forgive the non-PC title):

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41GFJAFWD2L.jpg

A double CD and there are now two follow-up CDs.

I also have

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71p5prcyPHL._SL1100_.jpg

But I'll pass on Part 2.

Barry
26-08-2018, 14:23
+2. But this song was always cool - the problem was with us as youngsters, who were maybe too stupid to recognise quality. Or maybe our tastes were hobbled by the overpowering need to appear cool. Probably both.

Having said that, I don't know when it was that I became 'switched on' to songs like this. Perhaps it just creeps up on us, like nose hair.

For years I was a strict rock fan, and loathed Tamla Motown and Atlantic records. Then about fifteen years a go I had a Damascene conversion, realised how much good music I was missing and made up for my neglect. :doh:

Lawrence001
26-08-2018, 14:36
My dad played double bass at the Cafe de Paris in Leicester Square (well before I was born though) so I grew up with music. My favourite record of his was Glenn Miller, though I have to admit it was Joe Loss plays. Still love it to this day!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Pigmy Pony
26-08-2018, 14:41
For years I was a strict rock fan, and loathed Tamla Motown and Atlantic records. Then about fifteen years a go I had a Damascene conversion, realised how much good music I was missing and made up for my neglect. :doh:

Thank you Barry, your posts are always an education for me! I had to look up 'damascene conversion'. The more I learn, the less inclined I am to just point and grunt. :)

It's strange that at the time in our lives when the world is all in front of us with endless possibilities, we are so closed off and blinkered. The phrase 'youth is wasted on the young' is so true.

JimK
10-09-2018, 15:07
I've always liked this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DNQRtmIMxk

Macca
10-09-2018, 15:30
My guilty pleasure is Burt Bacharach and Dion Warwick, and this (forgive the non-PC title):

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41GFJAFWD2L.jpg

That's a super cool album cover so the music can't be that bad surely?

I'm also a fan of 'Wichita Linesman'. I used to sing that to my girlfriend, she was always less than impressed.

Stratmangler
10-09-2018, 16:25
"Stop the Cavalry" by Joe Dolchie

Did he do a cover of that?
I always thought Jona Lewie had it nailed :)

Pigmy Pony
10-09-2018, 22:09
Did he do a cover of that?
I always thought Jona Lewie had it nailed :)

You're right Chris, I'm such a silly sausage! Joe Dolce did "Shaddup Yer Face". :)

Batty
11-09-2018, 00:47
Physical - ONJ, but only when it's on TV :)

struth
11-09-2018, 05:19
That's a super cool album cover so the music can't be that bad surely?

I'm also a fan of 'Wichita Linesman'. I used to sing that to my girlfriend, she was always less than impressed.

Ive got one of those CDs. Think it might be vol 2
It's quite good

Minstrel SE
13-09-2018, 21:14
Lots of guilty pleasures and everybody should have some

Trio - Da Da Da
Carol Bayer Sagar - Moving out today
Middle of the road - Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep
Dionne Warwick- Heartbreaker
Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy.
Dee Dee Jackson - Automatic Lover
Frank Mills - Music box Dancer

and loads more

Ive found myself humming and singing some Coldplay songs recently so there really is no hope for me :)

Sherwood
13-09-2018, 21:22
Wichita Lineman is cool, as are several other Glen Campbell songs. :)

His best songs are those that were written by Jimmy Webb. If you have not heard it I would suggest you check out Webb's own recordings https://www.allmusic.com/album/ten-easy-pieces-mw0000080839

Geoff

Barry
13-09-2018, 21:29
His best songs are those that were written by Jimmy Webb. If you have not heard it I would suggest you check out Webb's own recordings https://www.allmusic.com/album/ten-easy-pieces-mw0000080839

Geoff

Cheers for that Geoff - just ordered it. :)

Sherwood
13-09-2018, 21:58
Cheers for that Geoff - just ordered it. :)

It's a top album. Great songs, great performances, and very well recorded!

Geoff

Minstrel SE
15-09-2018, 19:30
Wichita Linesman is a good song.

I think we should get the thread back on track with real guilty pleasures. I reckon everybody has them as music plays with us in strange ways.

When you are getting into "we built this city on rock n roll" for just a moment, its an incredible guilt trip....."corporation games" :D....During the song I hate myself for getting into it and on reflection the song is shite....Thats a guilty moment

Music has that way...you know you should be hating it but something strange happens.

Edward
15-09-2018, 21:22
OK I put my hands up - Roy Orbison - my mum use to spin his stuff on an ancient mono valve gramophone. Lush.

Lonely and Blue ... :)

struth
15-09-2018, 21:40
Not much wrong with the Big O. Ooby Dooby and all that. A voice elvis wanted.

Primalsea
15-09-2018, 22:11
I’ve see that no one has fessed up to Star Trekin’ or Snooker Loopy, so there must be hope for us yet!

My wife finds my like of Cat Stevens a matter of concern but I’m hoping that a few of you will back m up on this one?

Sherwood
15-09-2018, 22:18
this brain worm ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqrvDVxaDFc

Geoff

walpurgis
15-09-2018, 22:19
My wife finds my like of Cat Stevens a matter of concern but I’m hoping that a few of you will back m up on this one?

Yeah. I'm with you on that. Some of his stuff (but not all) was bloody superb!

walpurgis
15-09-2018, 22:23
I remembered this the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky_gh14b010

I have a copy of the CD album on its way.

Primalsea
15-09-2018, 22:23

Yeah, it started to go a bit wrong didn’t it? However, I do think that sometimes artists do need to go through a bit of a self indulgent period in order to grow, rather than just producing more of the same just to please. The artist will come out all the better for it but they tend to be slated becuase its not the familar comfortable stuff people want to hear.

Sherwood
15-09-2018, 22:25

His cousin is (was) a roadie for Macca! :eyebrows:

struth
16-09-2018, 00:48
Ive got his greatest hit on cd. First half dozen are instantly recognised by name alone. You forget how many hits he had. After saying that I rarely play it.

Gilbert O'Sullivan is different case tho. He really had talent

JimK
16-09-2018, 13:44
Lots of guilty pleasures and everybody should have some

Trio - Da Da Da
Carol Bayer Sagar - Moving out today
Middle of the road - Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep
Dionne Warwick- Heartbreaker
Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy.
Dee Dee Jackson - Automatic Lover
Frank Mills - Music box Dancer

and loads more

Ive found myself humming and singing some Coldplay songs recently so there really is no hope for me :)

Good one that, another of my guilty pleasures.

Barry
16-09-2018, 13:49

I'll back you up as well! I used to have 'Tea for the Tillerman' and 'Teaser and the Wildcat' on vinyl. Now I have a very good 'best of' collection which does me.

Barry
16-09-2018, 13:58
Good one that, another of my guilty pleasures.

Some of those were 'one hit wonders', to which I'll add:

Bobby Gentry - 'Ode to Billy Joe'
Nena - '99 Red ballons' (actually I prefer the German version: 'Neunundneunzig Luftballons')
The Boxtops - 'The Letter'

plus several more which I'll remember once I have posted this! :doh:

JimK
16-09-2018, 20:04

Nena - '99 Red ballons' (actually I prefer the German version: 'Neunundneunzig Luftballons')

99 Red Balloons, another of my guilty pleasures. A few months ago her and that song came up in a thread in another forum I frequent and I subsequently googled her to see what she was up to, she has certainly worn very well. You're right about the German version too.

Pigmy Pony
16-09-2018, 23:40

I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about liking 'Ode to Billy Joe', and as for Nena, I confess I had a bit of a crush, hairy armpits and all. :)

Pigmy Pony
17-09-2018, 11:43
Right now I'm playing Madonna's 'Something to remember, and it's loud enough for the whole street to hear. Feel a bit guilty about not being out at work though.

Firebottle
17-09-2018, 12:00
Why? Enjoy the tunes bro.

Pigmy Pony
17-09-2018, 12:18
https://theartofsound.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1013260&noquote=1

You're right of course, but it's just finished. I wonder what the neighbours would like next? I don't have any Take That, but 'Underneath it All' by No Doubt is another of my guilty pleasures.

Barry
17-09-2018, 16:23
I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about liking 'Ode to Billy Joe', and as for Nena, I confess I had a bit of a crush, hairy armpits and all. :)

Neither do I - they were cited simply as examples of 'one hit wonders'.

Pigmy Pony
17-09-2018, 18:12
My mistake, I hadn't noticed that the subject had shifted to one-hit wonders.

Ok, I'm probably setting myself up for a fall here, but I think Bobbie Gentry had a number 1 a couple of years later with 'I'll Never Fall In Love', which were followed by some more lesser hits. Not exactly a one-hit wonder.

My info came from Wikipedia, so feel free to shoot me down :)

Macca
17-09-2018, 18:26
https://theartofsound.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1013260&noquote=1

You're right of course, but it's just finished. I wonder what the neighbours would like next? I don't have any Take That, but 'Underneath it All' by No Doubt is another of my guilty pleasures.

I like Take That's cover of 'How Deep Is Your Love.' Also like S Club 7's version of 'Keep On Movin'. And 'S Club Party' is a killer track, no question.

Crackles
17-09-2018, 20:20
Sugababes - Push the Button

Diana Ross - Chain Reaction

Both utter shite but I like them.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Macca
17-09-2018, 20:26
Sugababes 'Push The Button' is basically the same tune as Wham's 'Last Christmas'.

I don't know why no-one else seems to get that.

Anyway both are top tunes, ideally you need the video with the Sugababes.

Macca
17-09-2018, 20:28
That Diana Ross tune is the worst btw. I remember when that was a hit they played the video in full every week on Top Of The Pops. Just got sick of it and can't stand it now. Don't like her voice either. So there.

struth
17-09-2018, 20:30
John Kongos - Tokoloshe Man, and the early T-Rex singles too...

Macca
17-09-2018, 20:38
Wichita Linesman is a good song.

I think we should get the thread back on track with real guilty pleasures. I reckon everybody has them as music plays with us in strange ways.

When you are getting into "we built this city on rock n roll" for just a moment, its an incredible guilt trip....."corporation games" :D....During the song I hate myself for getting into it and on reflection the song is shite....Thats a guilty moment

And 'Nothing's Going To Stop Us Now.' They're classics, man. I mean I'm never going to listen to them deliberately, but if they come on the radio it's a stone groove.

My favourite song of all time is 'Young Hearts Run Free' by Candie Staton (has to be her version). Never owned a copy, never will. It would spoil it for me if I could hear it anytime I want.

I don't know what that's all about but there it is.

Pigmy Pony
18-09-2018, 07:31
John Kongos - Tokoloshe Man, and the early T-Rex singles too...

Tokoloshe Man - wow, forgot about that one, used to love it but not heard in decades! And the T.Rex singles = there was a bit of Slade vs T. Rex rivalry (among the fans), I was in the T.Rex camp, Telegram Sam was the first single I ever bought, and "Electric Warrior" the first album. Bought it again couple of years ago, still sounds great and surprisingly well recorded.

Not keen on Diana Ross, but "The Happening" is a favourite of mine, reminds me of my aunt dancing round the kitchen - I must have been about ten.

A bit more recent - as with Macca and Crackles, Sugababes make my list, in my case it's "Freak Like Me", the one that samples "Are Friends Electric".

Pigmy Pony
18-09-2018, 07:40
Sugababes 'Push The Button' is basically the same tune as Wham's 'Last Christmas'.

Now you've pointed it out the similarity is plain to hear, it's the way the melody bops along.

Marco
18-09-2018, 07:46
Ha - I've got lots of "guilty pleasures", but most of them aren't related to music!:eyebrows:

However, music-wise, I could fill a library with it, as being an 80s boy, you could name just about any cheesy one-hit wonder from that era, and chances are I'd have bought it as either a 7" or 12" single - and likely still have it now!!:D

Here's but one such track, to tickle your tastebuds, pop-pickers:

https://youtu.be/W1btg3mpEOc

I can still hear my dad now shouting at me to: "Turn that bloody shite down!", as it was blaring out in my bedroom [through at the time a half-decent separates system]:lol:

I had a bit of a 'thing' too, back then, for Sammy...

Marco.

struth
18-09-2018, 08:10
ah yes, the page 3 gal. i remember her

Pigmy Pony
18-09-2018, 08:17
Yes she was just the right height to 'do you a favour', without having to kneel. :D

I bet having a mullet was one of your guilty pleasures, or would have been if you hadn't been so proud of it!

Marco
18-09-2018, 09:00
Lol... No mullet here. Never had long, or even medium-length hair. It's always been short, and dark brown (still is), or super-short!

Here's another bit of fromage, with the late (great) Prince - and cheesy only because of Sheena Easton, who was also a bit of a babe in her day:

https://youtu.be/_jCuroTbqBI

"Let's get to rammin", yeah baby!...:D

That used to blare out of my bedroom too! The 12" single sounded simply wonderful on my (then) Ariston RD11S/Linn LV V/Denon-DL-103 turntable [through a Sondex S230 amp, with Lentek MC step-up transformer and Misson 700 speakers].

BASS was incredible....:eek:

Marco.

Marco
18-09-2018, 10:00
Also, this:

https://youtu.be/SDWHIMUfi1Q

She was gorgeous, and undoubtedly the Jackson with the most talent, after Michael. Amazing dancer, too! And none of yer 'Strictly', ballroom shite....:nono: Which leads us onto this timeless classic, which I still enjoy listening to now, and defo isn't a guilty pleasure:

https://youtu.be/Zi_XLOBDo_Y

At the time it was truly ground-breaking. I can still remember sitting in AWE, when I first watched that video.

It was at a party in a mate's house... I was 17, and had just parked up my motorbike outside [Yamaha RD250], and he shouted me to come in and check out this amazing video of MJ, which a load of girlies and him were watching. Lots of hash was smoked, mushies munched and booze drunk, and then came the strip-poker... Ah, what memories!:D

God bless you, Michael.

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
19-09-2018, 14:41

When it comes to songs that sound like other songs, surely no one is more guilty than Oasis:

"Supersonic": The opening of each verse sounds just like "I'd like to Teach the World to Sing" by The New Seekers.

"Cigarettes and Alcohol": Riff nicked from "Get It On" by T.Rex.

Even the track "Whatever" sounds to me like it was inspired by (copied from) "The Idiot Song" from Monty Python Live at Drury Lane, a song I always thought might be a send-up of John Lennon. And Mr Gallagher thought no one would notice.

I am guilty of getting no pleasure from Oasis songs. :(

Macca
19-09-2018, 15:35
When it comes to songs that sound like other songs, surely no one is more guilty than Oasis:

"Supersonic": The opening of each verse sounds just like "I'd like to Teach the World to Sing" by The New Seekers.

"Cigarettes and Alcohol": Riff nicked from "Get It On" by T.Rex.

Even the track "Whatever" sounds to me like it was inspired by (copied from) "The Idiot Song" from Monty Python Live at Drury Lane, a song I always thought might be a send-up of John Lennon. And Mr Gallagher thought no one would notice.

I am guilty of getting no pleasure from Oasis songs. :(

True but I'm sure Bolan nicked the riff from someone else to begin with so what does it matter? And Supersonic makes no secret of it's influence. He nicks the tune and lyrics from crap children's show 'You And Me' anorl, you missed that one :)

Pigmy Pony
19-09-2018, 17:34
I'm sure you're correct on all counts. I was quite a fan of T. Rex in their early days, but I'm sure the real talent there was their producer Tony Visconti.

Not so much a fan of Oasis though, I have none of their music and know even less about them. I'll stop talking now as I hear Oasis fans are fiercely loyal and hard as nails. :(

Still think Liam is a dick though.

Macca
19-09-2018, 17:37
I like the first two albums after that they went a bit crap. They were the last proper rock stars though, I think they should get some credit for that.

Pigmy Pony
19-09-2018, 18:02
If I'm honest with myself I know that my dislike of Oasis was not because I thought they were crap - indeed, I quite liked some of their earlier stuff, and enjoyed seeing them once (before they were famous).

But I used to have to work with this guy, a right arrogant shithead who never had a good word for anyone. It got so I couldn't stand to look at him, let alone speak to him (except to wind him up by calling his musical heroes the world's biggest Beatles tribute band). And it sort of stuck with me.

Barry
19-09-2018, 20:06
I have the first two Oasis CDs - they just remind me of a time and place that was good for me, so happy memories! :)

Gazjam
19-09-2018, 20:12
Saw Oasis in King Tut’s Wha Wha Hut in Glasgow the night they were discovered by Alan McGhee.
True fact, the PA sound quality wasn’t the best, but the experience of it is something that can’t be recreated by even the best vinyl rig.

This audio game’s completely subjective y’know.
(Oasis sounds best btw played over a 300B SET amp...another true fact. :))

Gazjam
19-09-2018, 20:16
I see your Oasis and raise you Kasabian...ish.

Barry
19-09-2018, 20:18
Kasabian do nothing for me, neither do Franz Ferdinand. :(

Gazjam
19-09-2018, 20:19
Both work for me.. subjective!
Wouldn’t have it otherwise :)

Crackles
20-09-2018, 06:45

:(

Surely you mean Shakermaker? The New Seekers took legal action and they had to rewrite the last verse. See here:

http://altrincham.today/2018/08/20/news/town-music-six-famous-songs-made-altrincham/

Incidentally Sifters Records is still there.

Joe
20-09-2018, 07:38
Don't know about anybody else, but in my early record buying years there were often these words from my mum which I dreaded: "While you're in the record shop can you pick me up..."

I was asked (ie ordered) by one sister to buy for another sister 'Heard It Through the Grapevine', as she was too embarrassed to ask for it. Not because it was a bad song but because it was going down in the charts. Most of the songs mentioned are great songs, and thus not guilty pleasures, IMO. Well, apart from 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep' which should have been banned.

Also in the '60s, one uncle, who seemed ancient to me at the time (he was probably about 40) asked if I could buy him 'San Franciso' for his birthday. 'You mean the Tony Bennett song?' I asked. He was very offended, as he'd meant the Scott McKenzie song.

No guilty pleasures here music-wise, though I do own two LPs with Jimmy Saville's picture on the cover.

Pigmy Pony
20-09-2018, 07:57
Middle of the Road were crap and catchy at the same time and could really mess up your cred with the girls if you weren't vigilant.

They got me once: My first singles I bought, which would be the early part of 1972 were Telegram Sam, California Man, Tumbling Dice, and SACRAMENTO. :eek: Fortunately my first girlfriend wasn't for another six months, by which time I had some more T. Rex, Mott, Alice Cooper and Roxy Music. A good year.

Pigmy Pony
20-09-2018, 08:07
Surely you mean Shakermaker? The New Seekers took legal action and they had to rewrite the last verse. See here:

http://altrincham.today/2018/08/20/news/town-music-six-famous-songs-made-altrincham/

Incidentally Sifters Records is still there.

John, you're absolutely right, that's what I meant. What's the matter with me, this kind of thing keeps happening! :doh:

Didn't know about the New Seekers thing, I've just read about it. Similarly, my theory about "Whatever" and "The Idiot Song" turns out to be a thing: The writer Neil Innes successfully sued Oasis and got royalties and co-writing credits. The article went on to say that as Innes' song parodied Lennon and The Beatles, as did much of his output, he had to share the royalties with Lennon and McCartney.

It seems there's nothing new in this world, and never has been. The copied turn out to be copiers themselves. :)

Joe
20-09-2018, 15:24
Middle of the Road were crap and catchy at the same time and could really mess up your cred with the girls if you weren't vigilant.

Chicory Tip, they were another bunch of crap. Did anyone ever work out what words they sang after 'Son of my father ...'? It sounded like 'bowling I was rolling I was big band guy'. Like in 'Blinded by the Light', where the words go all weird; 'bound up like a douche another oner in the night'. Or words to that effect.

dantheman91
20-09-2018, 15:28
S Club 7

I'll get my coat....

:uhho:

JimK
20-09-2018, 15:56
Chicory Tip, they were another bunch of crap. Did anyone ever work out what words they sang after 'Son of my father ...'? It sounded like 'bowling I was rolling I was big band guy'. Like in 'Blinded by the Light', where the words go all weird; 'bound up like a douche another oner in the night'. Or words to that effect.

I've got Son of my Father, I shall have to dig it out. I also bought the next single, What's Your Name? I didn't realise that Son of my Father was written by Giorgio Moroder till I recently watched a programme about glamrock that I recorded ages ago, you don't look at the writing credits when your are a young teenager do you?

struth
20-09-2018, 16:08

it was;

Son of my father
Molded, I was folded, I was preform-packed
Son of my father
Commanded, I was branded in a plastic vac'
Surrounded and confounded by statistic facts

Macca
20-09-2018, 17:24
S Club 7

I'll get my coat....

:uhho:

Lest we forget:

https://i.imgur.com/VdHLnXZ.jpg

Pigmy Pony
20-09-2018, 18:40
They were a good-looking bunch, even the ones that looked like blokes...

Pigmy Pony
20-09-2018, 18:46

It's a bit like when you're on holiday, and there's a karaoke on, and some bloke who doesn't speak English gets up and has a try. It's hilarious!

Pigmy Pony
20-09-2018, 19:27
it was;

Son of my father
Molded, I was folded, I was preform-packed
Son of my father
Commanded, I was branded in a plastic vac'
Surrounded and confounded by statistic facts

Originally the lyrics were:

'Shithead of a father,
I was the result of a drunken shag,
Tried to suffocate me with a plastic bag,'

They changed them to get on TOTP. But the synth was far out man.

Crackles
20-09-2018, 19:49
John, you're absolutely right, that's what I meant. What's the matter with me, this kind of thing keeps happening! :doh:

Didn't know about the New Seekers thing, I've just read about it. Similarly, my theory about "Whatever" and "The Idiot Song" turns out to be a thing: The writer Neil Innes successfully sued Oasis and got royalties and co-writing credits. The article went on to say that as Innes' song parodied Lennon and The Beatles, as did much of his output, he had to share the royalties with Lennon and McCartney.

It seems there's nothing new in this world, and never has been. The copied turn out to be copiers themselves. :)

Don't know that Python song, will have to have a listen.

Macca
20-09-2018, 20:08
The theme tune from Taggert. That's a good one. Never watched an episode, would always change channel after the tune.

struth
20-09-2018, 20:30
The theme tune from Taggert. That's a good one. Never watched an episode, would always change channel after the tune.

The great Maggie bell with no mean city

Pigmy Pony
21-09-2018, 06:32
The great Maggie bell with no mean city

She did another theme tune for a short series back in the seventies, also set in Glasgow, very bleak, pretty violent, the name escapes me. But the main character was a singer, Frankie Somebody or other. Now I mention it, maybe he did the theme, not Maggie. Help me out here Grant!

Pigmy Pony
21-09-2018, 06:34

I bet you were more into Brookside, the title music of which sounded rather like a song by Vangelis/Ian Anderson. Don't know who got there first.

Crackles
21-09-2018, 06:58
She did another theme tune for a short series back in the seventies, also set in Glasgow, very bleak, pretty violent, the name escapes me. But the main character was a singer, Frankie Somebody or other. Now I mention it, maybe he did the theme, not Maggie. Help me out here Grant!Wasn't Dennis Waterman was it? [emoji16]

struth
21-09-2018, 07:22
She did another theme tune for a short series back in the seventies, also set in Glasgow, very bleak, pretty violent, the name escapes me. But the main character was a singer, Frankie Somebody or other. Now I mention it, maybe he did the theme, not Maggie. Help me out here Grant!

Frankie Miller

Macca
21-09-2018, 07:57
I bet you were more into Brookside, the title music of which sounded rather like a song by Vangelis/Ian Anderson. Don't know who got there first.

When I first became a scouse ex-pat I used to watch Brookside to stave off homesickness. My girlfriend got into it too. The theme tune was a cracker in NICAM stereo.

struth
21-09-2018, 08:04
When I first became a scouse ex-pat I used to watch Brookside to stave off homesickness. My girlfriend got into it too. The theme tune was a cracker in NICAM stereo.

think it was steve wright that did that. yeah it was the best bit about it.

Pigmy Pony
21-09-2018, 16:35
Frankie Miller

That's him Grant, the name came to me on my way to work. A bit of poking around tinternet tells me that the series I was talking about was actually a play called "Just a Boy's Game" and it was really good - ITV4 should put it on instead of constant episodes of The Saint.

The series I was thinking about with Maggie Bell singing the theme, was called "Hazell", starring Pamela Stevenson's ex hubby Nicholas Ball. I remember that being quite good too, but may not have stood the test of time. Funny how songs can be timeless, while TV programmes can date so quickly.

Crackles
21-09-2018, 17:07
That's him Grant, the name came to me on my way to work. A bit of poking around tinternet tells me that the series I was talking about was actually a play called "Just a Boy's Game" and it was really good - ITV4 should put it on instead of constant episodes of The Saint.

The series I was thinking about with Maggie Bell singing the theme, was called "Hazell", starring Pamela Stevenson's ex hubby Nicholas Ball. I remember that being quite good too, but may not have stood the test of time. Funny how songs can be timeless, while TV programmes can date so quickly.

I remember Hazell but I was only a kid at the time. Terry Venables was one of the writers.

I remember he ended up bedding some fit bird in every show. There was a flag Man United fans had that said 'Stuart Pearson scores more than James Hazell'.

Pigmy Pony
21-09-2018, 18:01
Yeah he did alright with the birds, but in real life his wasn't big enough to keep Pamela from the Big Yin.

Pigmy Pony
22-10-2018, 18:36
Last Saturday's 'Pick of the Pops' was a treat for me- it was this week in 1972. The top 20 included 'John I'm Only Dancing', 'Children Of The Revolution', 'Elected', 'In A Broken Dream' and 'How Can I Be Sure' (!) Yes really.

Not a fan of David Cassidy, but I think it's a great song, although at fourteen I would rather have eaten dog vomit than admit to liking it. Another guilty pleasure I suppose.

Pieoftheday
30-10-2018, 20:01
Born to be alive, Patrick Hernandez :eek: I couldn't get get that out of me bonce for ages after hearing it

Pigmy Pony
31-10-2018, 16:41
Yeah it's the weird way he says "Born". People from Burnley talk like that.:D

Pigmy Pony
31-10-2018, 16:48
Born to be alive, Patrick Hernandez :eek: I couldn't get get that out of me bonce for ages after hearing it

A guilty pleasure and an 'ear worm' are not necessarily the same thing, just sometimes.

Driving up the M6 yesterday I had "The Race" by Yello rattling round my head. Nowt wrong with Yello, but this was 100 miles. Had to exorcise it with "Pocket Universe" when I got home.

Pieoftheday
01-11-2018, 19:11
A guilty pleasure and an 'ear worm' are not necessarily the same thing, just sometimes.

Driving up the M6 yesterday I had "The Race" by Yello rattling round my head. Nowt wrong with Yello, but this was 100 miles. Had to exorcise it with "Pocket Universe" when I got home.

Well yes I see your point, I do quite like it too:)

Len Co
04-11-2018, 19:54
No mention of ABBA yet? Most amazing output, so clever musically and lyrically - especially considering English was not their mother tongue. Always preferred the blonde one but the girls were quite nice too.
I have a cd of covers by 'The Real Abba' which I actually prefer to the originals but that's probably because my grand-daughters have them on permanent repeat play in the car!

Pigmy Pony
04-11-2018, 22:21
For me, ABBA is one of those performers that, while I don't have any of their recordings, I'm always happy to hear them come on the radio. Maybe I'll look out for one of their albums if it's cheap enough. It can be the new bookend on my CD shelf, moving Average White Band over.

Another of my guilty pleasures will be wheeled out on the radio in the coming weeks. "Christmas Rapping" by The Waitresses. My favourite Christmas tune.

Barry
04-11-2018, 22:39
For me, ABBA is one of those performers that, while I don't have any of their recordings, I'm always happy to hear them come on the radio. Maybe I'll look out for one of their albums if it's cheap enough. It can be the new bookend on my CD shelf, moving Average White Band over.

Another of my guilty pleasures will be wheeled out on the radio in the coming weeks. "Christmas Rapping" by The Waitresses. My favourite Christmas tune.

LOL My mother loved Abba and owned several of their LPs.

Abba vs. Average White Band? Hmmm - tough call, though I think "Average" says a lot.

Apropos Christmas tunes - my favourites are 'Happy Christmas, War is Over" by John and Yoko Lennon, the one by Slade (can't remember the title) and, of course, 'Fairy Tale of New York' by Kirsty MacColl and Shane MacGowan.

Pigmy Pony
05-11-2018, 07:22
LOL My mother loved Abba and owned several of their LPs.

Abba vs. Average White Band? Hmmm - tough call, though I think "Average" says a lot.

Apropos Christmas tunes - my favourites are 'Happy Christmas, War is Over" by John and Yoko Lennon, the one by Slade (can't remember the title) and, of course, 'Fairy Tale of New York' by Kirsty MacColl and Shane MacGowan.

In my defence, the Average White Band CD is a best of and doesn't get played much. It was the first 'A' that came to mind. Had a look and there's Aerosmith, ABC, Aqualung, India Arie, Alt-J, Aphex Twin, Christina Aguilera (Anitas), Athlete and Audioslave to keep ABBA company.

The Christmas songs you list are all classics and in my view better songs (John and Yoko being my favourite), but done to death, and if you listen to the radio as much as I do you will hear them a dozen times a year and it's been a lot of years.

Barry
05-11-2018, 14:41
In my defence, the Average White Band CD is a best of and doesn't get played much. It was the first 'A' that came to mind. Had a look and there's Aerosmith, ABC, Aqualung, India Arie, Alt-J, Aphex Twin, Christina Aguilera (Anitas), Athlete and Audioslave to keep ABBA company.

What no Animals? Disgraceful! ;) Nor any Laurie Anderson? Understandable!

And where is Joan Armatrading? Essential! Or Ryan Adams? :)

Firebottle
05-11-2018, 17:21
Just looked at my listing of 'A'.

Oleta Adams, now there is a voice.
Academy of St Martin in the Fields is rather good, I have 3 different albums.

Pigmy Pony
05-11-2018, 19:05
Damn. Just had another look, and a wrongly placed Black Grape CD threw me.

Also have Oleta Adams "Circle of One", which I love, and Tori Amos, Tasmin Archer, Air, Adele, Lily Allen and Rick Astley (not responsible for the last three).

Sorry Barry, no Animals, I need to right that wrong. Not fussed about Joan Armourplating though.

Pigmy Pony
05-11-2018, 19:12
I did once buy a Laurie Anderson album (the one with "Oh Superman") and only played one side before deciding I couldn't live with it. There wasn't a tune to be found on it. I managed to persuade the record shop to exchange it for something else.

Barry
05-11-2018, 19:59
I did once buy a Laurie Anderson album (the one with "Oh Superman") and only played one side before deciding I couldn't live with it. There wasn't a tune to be found on it. I managed to persuade the record shop to exchange it for something else.

So - you don't think much of Mrs Lou Reed's efforts? I can understand that:

Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh ......................! :D

Think you should give Joan Armatrading another try however.

Pigmy Pony
06-11-2018, 16:21
Always happy to try recommendations - Joan Armatrading has pretty much passed me by, apart from the odd song on daytime radio. I'll get Alexa to shuffle some of her stuff, unless you have a particular album to recommend.

Macca
06-11-2018, 18:05
Always happy to try recommendations - Joan Armatrading has pretty much passed me by, apart from the odd song on daytime radio. I'll get Alexa to shuffle some of her stuff, unless you have a particular album to recommend.

It's Joan Armourplating btw...

I quite like 'Hearts And Flowers' although proper Armourplating fans will poo poo this.

Pigmy Pony
06-11-2018, 18:21
Just had a nosey on Amazon, and 'Hearts and Flowers' actually has plenty of positive reviews. BUT £16! :eek: So that's not happening. They've got it used for £2.76 inc. delivery so that's worth a punt. Just as soon as I find out why there's 40 quid's worth of PJ Masks crap in the basket...

Macca
06-11-2018, 18:32
Just as soon as I find out why there's 40 quid's worth of PJ Masks crap in the basket...

Can't you just tip it out and carry on?

Pigmy Pony
06-11-2018, 21:45
You've never met Mrs. P have you? I'd rather step in front of a bus :(

Barry
06-11-2018, 21:52
What are "PJ masks"?

Macca
06-11-2018, 22:11
What are "PJ masks"?

Toys.

Firebottle
07-11-2018, 08:04
You've never met Mrs. P have you?

Aarhhh, she's a puss in boots.

Pigmy Pony
07-11-2018, 17:38
And the toes of those boots are exactly the same size as the space between me bum cheeks.

I'm not supposed to buy any records or CD's this close to my birthday and Christmas (they go on a list so family know what to buy me). It's a system that works well.