PDA

View Full Version : audirvana plus for windows

struth
24-08-2018, 12:56
Decided to give this a trial... you get 15 days to try. the program is pretty basic. dunno if this is because its the trial, but jriver has a lot in it where this doesnt. just awaiting the library loading

struth
24-08-2018, 14:16
https://imageshack.com/a/img922/11/8x7o93.png

Looks ok. It works with tidal and qoboz, so i tried a trial with qoboz, as i wanted to try it... I needent have bothered as qoboz really sucks.. the app didnt work in any useful way, and the web player not an awful lot better but at least it played music. (cancelled immediately)
anyway Audirvana sounds very good(one of the best ive heard), although if this is the full version, I doubt I will move from jriver, as the ui is pretty basic.

struth
24-08-2018, 16:48
Not to be beaten, ive gone to tidal for another trial...

linked to audirvana plus you get master quality unfolded as far as i see. 24/96.

more like it..looks like this

https://imageshack.com/a/img923/7008/K0Vz1u.png

Sherwood
24-08-2018, 18:13
Does it only run from a desktop or is there an App too?

struth
24-08-2018, 18:22
Not sure if the remote works with windows yet. It does for macs so may do
Certainly sounds good with tidal

Jimbo
24-08-2018, 18:39
Does it only run from a desktop or is there an App too?

There is an app for iPad not sure Windows tablet but it will come along shortly I am sure.

Jimbo
24-08-2018, 18:41
Not sure if the remote works with windows yet. It does for macs so may do
Certainly sounds good with tidal

I thought Audirvana was superb on the Mac but it was blown away by the Innuos Zen server using ipeng as an app on the iPad. The lesson was laptops are not the best for storing and playing digital files. A dedicated optimised server is way better.

struth
24-08-2018, 18:56
There is an app for iPad not sure Windows tablet but it will come along shortly I am sure.

O it's re the new windows system not mac version. Don't think the iOS remote works with windows version yet or maybe ever. I have sent a question to them

Jimbo
24-08-2018, 19:08
O it's re the new windows system not mac version. Don't think the iOS remote works with windows version yet or maybe ever. I have sent a question to them

No your right Grant the iOS version doesn't work with Windows Audirvana but I think they will have one up and running for Windows soon it will probably be called Windows A+ remote. Looks like nothing available on the website just yet.

struth
24-08-2018, 19:15
No your right Grant the iOS version doesn't work with Windows Audirvana but I think they will have one up and running for Windows soon it will probably be called Windows A+ remote. Looks like nothing available on the website just yet.

Cheers Jim. Thought that. Just hoping it's iOS and android etc. I like my iPad lol

See how I get on for new couple of weeks b4 committing to it. It's not cheap

Stig
25-08-2018, 08:17
Hi Grant

Interesting thoughts on Qobuz and Audirvana Windows.

I’ve been using Audirvana for windows for around a month now and it has improved over that time. Initially it was a little creaky and slow but performance has moved on quite a bit. It’s slicker,faster and much more usable. The interface is a little basic compared to the Mac version but I suspect that was deliberate in order to get the core functions working well.

I’m pretty sure that improvements and enhancements will follow.

Yup, no IOS or android apps at the present time but I believe it’s a work in progress.

I use remote desktop from my laptop to control a headless Audirvana server (intel i3 nuc,ssd, nothing special) which works but lacks the convenience factor of an IPAD or Android control point.

The Qobuz integration also works very well.

I’ve set up quite an extensive favourite’s library which almost mirrors my NAS based collection. Give the Adirvana treatment I can’t hear a difference between the two.

As you say

Audirvana for Windows sounds really good but still BETA.

Let’s see how things progress.

On Qobuz

They seem to be stuck into the USA launch so maybe the Desktop app is suffering a little development wise.

But.

I’ve fount a world of difference between the Windows desktop, Android and IOS apps.

The desktop version has UPNP/DNLA built in but it’s BETA and as far as I’ve read no ones has it working apart from Chris at CA.

Android is OK but limited. I use Bubble UPNP/Mcontrol to stream Qobuz to my assortment of UPNP/DNLA streamers. Works well and sounds good.

IOS is another story.

Superb when used with Airplay or Mcontrol to my around the house set up’s.

I really like the Qobuz interface especially on IPAD.

It’s slick and fast.

:)

struth
25-08-2018, 08:30
Hi Shaun, Thanks for info.

Im now using Tidal with Audirvana, and it just works so well. To be fair, the qobuz seemed to work that way, and the ipad worked, but i need a desktop application for my headphone amp, so although i could probably get usage out of it, im not going to pay 20 quid for a broken product.
Have to say the tidal masters being unwrapped, or whatever they call it, does make the sound much better, irrelevant of how they do it. Sound quality is more important than whether they cheat or not to me.
This Diana Krall album ive got on at moment is stonkingly good on the cans

Stig
26-08-2018, 09:45
Good Points Grant.

I've hooked up to Tidal trial.

wonder what the differences between Tidal and Qobuz are (if any):eyebrows:

I'll have a play and give some feedback.

struth
29-08-2018, 13:35
Good Points Grant.

I've hooked up to Tidal trial.

wonder what the differences between Tidal and Qobuz are (if any):eyebrows:

I'll have a play and give some feedback.

Qoboz for window 10 is broken for me. tidal works with Audirvana perfectly; so much so that ive bought Audirvana. not cheap but a lifetime license and it sounds superb.
Will have to get the lads over for a summit meeting of the mafia.:eyebrows: big step up this.

Sherwood
29-08-2018, 13:50
Qoboz for window 10 is broken for me. tidal works with Audirvana perfectly; so much so that ive bought Audirvana. not cheap but a lifetime license and it sounds superb.
Will have to get the lads over for a summit meeting of the mafia.:eyebrows: big step up this.

Grant,

is the license valid for all future versions and updates or just the current version?

Geoff

struth
29-08-2018, 13:57
Grant,

is the license valid for all future versions and updates or just the current version?

Geoff

its valid for the future release as this one is still in beta.

blog here....https://audirvana.com/blog/

mikmas
29-08-2018, 14:25
Grant,

Geoff

I have had Audivarna for the Mac for a few years now and the first few updates were free, the last update however required buying a new license - which I have declined (the version I have still works fine though)

struth
29-08-2018, 14:35
it will be like jriver. updates free but a new version will cost, although you should get a discount for having the last version.

it works well for me and it will get better i expect, so it was a no brainer and cheaper than buying roon

struth
29-08-2018, 14:37
in fact its so good i may go all digital... never really thought i would say and mean that

Sherwood
29-08-2018, 14:53
I've just installed the trial on my desktop pc. I expected it to integrate seamlessly with Tidal (from comments posted) but I was very surprised to see how it automatically detected my RPi/Volumio device. I was even more surprised that the Volumio screen is showing 384/32 bitrate for several MQA albums and marking the stream as a WAV file. The sound quality would seem to confirm this.

Geoff

Sherwood
29-08-2018, 14:56

Here's proof

struth
29-08-2018, 15:07
where did it appear? it doesnt in mine although i could access the hdd on the volumio player

Sherwood
29-08-2018, 15:26
where did it appear? it doesnt in mine although i could access the hdd on the volumio player

It's the icon at the bottom right of the audirvana screen just to the left of the speaker icon. Not only can you select the output device but you can also configure that device in terms of upsampling. You have to stop playing music first though before you can change output devices.

struth
29-08-2018, 15:39
doesnt show in mine.. just my 2 dacs.

Sherwood
29-08-2018, 16:03
here is a snap from my screen showing the output options including volumio

struth
29-08-2018, 16:36
must be the way yours is connected. i get the 2 dacs that are attached to the usbs only

Sherwood
29-08-2018, 17:28
must be the way yours is connected. i get the 2 dacs that are attached to the usbs only

My RPi/Volumio player is in a different room to my pc. Both are connected by ethernet cable (via ethernet over mains adapters). I don't profess to be a network expert, but I wonder if the Rpi/Volumio player shows up because I have set up a link to Tidal using Bubble PnP?

I have also realised that the reason such high bitrates are showing is because Audirvana is doing some heavy liftin regarding upscaling. This applies to my local flac files as well. Whatever is happening it sounds very very very good.

Geoff

struth
29-08-2018, 17:39
what did you set the upscaling at in AV.? yup the upnp may be a thought but so might both being on ethernet. need to lay hands on a long one and run it to the laptop

Sherwood
29-08-2018, 17:48
what did you set the upscaling at in AV.? yup the upnp may be a thought but so might both being on ethernet. need to lay hands on a long one and run it to the laptop

I set the upscaling at 384k. Although my Caiman SEG can deal with 768k, this degree of upscaling seems to be a bit iffy with the Rpi. I think my Digione board is limited to 384k.

BTW: AV also detected my LG 4k Smart tv (which is also on a wired connection). I have this connected to hifi speakers and Tidal sounds very good through this as well.

Geoff

struth
29-08-2018, 17:53
will have a look at that tomorrow . cheers

Jimbo
29-08-2018, 18:29
I set the upscaling at 384k. Although my Caiman SEG can deal with 768k, this degree of upscaling seems to be a bit iffy with the Rpi. I think my Digione board is limited to 384k.

BTW: AV also detected my LG 4k Smart tv (which is also on a wired connection). I have this connected to hifi speakers and Tidal sounds very good through this as well.

Geoff

What do you think of the Caiman SEG Geoff, I have a mate who is thinking of buying one.

Sherwood
29-08-2018, 19:29
What do you think of the Caiman SEG Geoff, I have a mate who is thinking of buying one.

I don't think there is much to beat it at the price. I had mine upgraded with the Supercap upgrade which requires a 15v power supply which was a worthwhile improvement in term of bass performance. I think it is possible to buy a new SEG with the upgrade included. It also has a very good headphone amp. This can be adjusted by the user (by pulling off the volume control and adjusting a small pot with a screwdriver to match the headphones). I found I needed to slightly increase the output for my Hifiman 400i headphones, but there is still plenty of headroom left. The lack of a remote is a bit of a pain, but as I use mine with an RPi/digione I can use software volume control instead.

Geoff

Sherwood
30-08-2018, 09:45
will have a look at that tomorrow . cheers

i think I have figured out how i am accessing Volumio with AV. Seems that Bubble configured my RPi device (and my LG tv) as media devices. This is confirmed as they show up as such under my network settings.

I have also played around with the upsampling options and now have AV sending DSD 128 (1 bit) to the Rpi. This software streaming seems to be pretty hardware intensive. It works faultlessly on my desktop (a 6th gen i5 with 16gb ram) but stutters on my Asus Zen laptop.

I thought my system sounded good with the RPi/Volumio straight into my Caiman SEG but it is significantly improved by having AV process the stream before it goes to the Rpi. Another layer of mush has been removed and the quality and timbre of bass is markedly better.

Geoff

struth
30-08-2018, 09:57
Mine is too, but its not showing.. no idea, tbh. got pc on an ethernet cable too.
https://imageshack.com/a/img921/5895/sG0TKV.png

Sherwood
30-08-2018, 10:14
Mine is too, but its not showing.. no idea, tbh. got pc on an ethernet cable too.
https://imageshack.com/a/img921/5895/sG0TKV.png

Maybe worth sending a query to AV. I did not expect any real performance improvement with AV in terms of SQ, only a better user interface. Seems I underestimated their claims.

Geoff

Sherwood
30-08-2018, 10:37
Just realised AV have a page on PnP devices.

https://audirvana.com/network-playback/

Geoff

struth
30-08-2018, 11:23
may get that when it comes out of beta. maybe you have a bridge or something thats making it work. oh well, something to look forward to i guess

struth
30-08-2018, 11:26
on the debug page it shows no upnp players found.. might be the issue

https://imageshack.com/a/img923/7117/wFZ44P.png

Sherwood
30-08-2018, 12:06
Dare I suggest the IT Crowd universal solution ......... :)

struth
30-08-2018, 12:18
Dare I suggest the IT Crowd universal solution ......... :)

you dare...if i knew what you meant :ner:

Sherwood
30-08-2018, 12:53
you dare...if i knew what you meant :ner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

struth
30-08-2018, 13:41
Yup...lol

Walk round at moment has tidal playing into volumio via my ipad quite nicely

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180830/21e903fb998047ff079f672d06c723ff.png

And thus

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180830/44141608162ec84b116fdbb07bec1a41.png

No hi resolution tho

struth
30-08-2018, 13:42
Very good player for ipad by way...mconnect

Works with tidal and qoboz

Stig
31-08-2018, 10:57
Hi Grant

Have you checked that Audirvana network access is not being blocked by Windows Firewall or your anti virus software (malware bytes)?

Could be worth having a quick look at your permissions in Malware B.

I have Project pre box s2 connected to Volumio 2 which works fine this end as do my other UPNP renderers.

worth a look?

struth
31-08-2018, 11:27
I think its the laptop and win10. its terrible for blocking stuff and closing ports etc..cant be router as i can send music from tidal on ipad to volumio...i have the firewalls all off and mwb and defender all off, but its not gonna work. ipad can read pc etc as sharing is on, but cant do it otherway and be seen by other programs or equipment like rpi, or the like..audirvana etc. can see another laptop in system. but it has sharing on too.
Its win10's nemisis now... sharing etc. they ever shut off homegroup

Sherwood
31-08-2018, 11:39
That's a pity as the SQ with the pc doing the processing is truly stunning. I am now thinking of rededicating one of my Intel NUCs entirely to AV duties. May have to buy a bit more memory first though.

Geoff

struth
31-08-2018, 11:44
That's a pity as the SQ with the pc doing the processing is truly stunning. I am now thinking of rededicating one of my Intel NUCs entirely to AV duties. May have to buy a bit more memory first though.

Geoff

yup. sure a wiz could make it work but not me. still its pretty good on headphones or just sent to my main dac via usb

Stig
31-08-2018, 15:43
That's a bit of a shame grant.:(

Maybe a trip to the Audirvana forum will help find the problem.

BTW how are you sending music to Volumio ? I also have Mconect which as you say is a nice App but as I understand it Mconect plugs Qobuz/Tidal directly into the renderer with the App controlling volume and track selection(like Bubble UPNP) without going through the Ipad. Sounds a little better than Airplay to my ears.

Still leaning towards Qobuz.

Tidal is nice but I prefer Qobuz interface wise and I may be wrong but through Mconnect/Bubble UPNP sounds a little better but that's just my take and others will differ.

Each to their own

Either way Audirvana is a super sounding piece of software.

I'm poor :eyebrows:but it's not a poor man's Roon by any means just another way of doing things.

IMHO Tidal and Qobuz are catching up fast in terms of album and artist info which makes the support software a little less important in that respect IMHO. (just spun out of a yearly with Roon. Nice, nice software but pricy so I have made the switch).

I've spent the last week or so setting up a virtual library in favourites and copied most of my rips and vinyl collection over to Qobuz with about 95 percent found no problemo.

BTW I have an i3 NUC running headless with SSD for Windows 10 Pro (Audirvana + HQplayer) and 1TB spinning disc for my music library.

It works very well but I need to remote desktop it to use Audirvana ATM.

Let's hope that the App arrives soon.:)

Do try Audirvana's forum

struth
31-08-2018, 16:02

BTW how are you sending music to Volumio ? I also have Mconect which as you say is a nice App but as I understand it Mconect plugs Qobuz/Tidal directly into the renderer with the App controlling volume and track selection(like Bubble UPNP) without going through the Ipad. Sounds a little better than Airplay to my ears.

Tidal is nice but I prefer Qobuz interface wise and I may be wrong but through Mconnect/Bubble UPNP sounds a little better but that's just my take and others will differ.

Each to their own

I'm poor :eyebrows:but it's not a poor man's Roon by any means just another way of doing things.

IMHO Tidal and Qobuz are catching up fast in terms of album and artist info which makes the support software a little less important in that respect IMHO. (just spun out of a yearly with Roon. Nice, nice software but pricy so I have made the switch).

I've spent the last week or so setting up a virtual library in favourites and copied most of my rips and vinyl collection over to Qobuz with about 95 percent found no problemo.

BTW I have an i3 NUC running headless with SSD for Windows 10 Pro (Audirvana + HQplayer) and 1TB spinning disc for my music library.

Do try Audirvana's forum

i can send it from ipad via mconnect or by usb cable from pc. ive 10metre repeater cable that runs round the room. sounds good both ways

Sherwood
31-08-2018, 16:08

Each to their own

Do try Audirvana's forum

Shaun,

I agree that an app for the Windows version of AV would be great. Perhaps in the finished version? However, do you realise that there is a remote app available for the Intel NUC family?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/microsoft-remote-desktop/9wzdncrfj3ps?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

Geoff

struth
31-08-2018, 16:24
I got a message from them saying the ios app thats there for the macs will very soon be compatible with the windows one. hopefully AV will come out of beta after that and the full version will appear.

Stig
31-08-2018, 17:34
Shaun,

I agree that an app for the Windows version of AV would be great. Perhaps in the finished version? However, do you realise that there is a remote app available for the Intel NUC family?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/microsoft-remote-desktop/9wzdncrfj3ps?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

Geoff

I use the above and It's good but needs the pro version of windows 10 on the headless server. Once set up it's rock solid.

I like the convenience of a tablet/pad. Lazy maybe but fast access and convenience is one of the big plus factors of digital music IMHO.

Grant

Damien's been a little quite of late. I hope it's due to his working on the App which will be for IOS only Android to follow.

Stig
10-09-2018, 15:58
Hi all

Just a quick heads up.

The IOS app is now ready. You just the need to make sure that you have upgraded Audirvana for W10 to 1.10.

Working nicely this end.

struth
10-09-2018, 16:11
Hi all

Just a quick heads up.

The IOS app is now ready. You just the need to make sure that you have upgraded Audirvana for W10 to 1.10.

Working nicely this end.

its not working for me.. how do you upgrade?

struth
10-09-2018, 16:19
to version 1.1 i mean.

struth
10-09-2018, 16:46
its just updated itself... working now :) looks good

mikeyb
10-09-2018, 18:09
I might try this.

I'll probably have a NUC coming back to me as my granddaughter says it's not good enough to run the games she plays, so I'm going to build her a gaming PC ( from my old gaming PC spares ) once I get the NUC back I might try Audirvana on it and send that to my SoTm network audio adapter, only thing I might miss out on would be Spotify access.

Stig
11-09-2018, 09:07
its just updated itself... working now :) looks good

Yes auto update.

I leave Audirvana running 24/7 on the headless NUC so needed to restart to get the update.

I like the APP's clean and simple layout but with no OP device selection it makes using it in my 4 output device set up just a little more fiddly.

Did you sort your networking issues?

On spotify.

I don't use it but I do have the SMS200 which has an airplay setting which may work.

Running Audirvana on the NUC works really well BTW. I run it 24/7 and with the APP it's just a matter of firing up the Ipad for music.

The sound is top draw IMHO.

struth
11-09-2018, 09:15
Yes auto update.

I leave Audirvana running 24/7 on the headless NUC so needed to restart to get the update.

I like the APP's clean and simple layout but with no OP device selection it makes using it in my 4 output device set up just a little more fiddly.

nope. still no sign of volumio.. this morning i switched audirvana on and it wanted a licence key, entered by hand :doh: then all my tidal favorites were jumbled pictures and titles .. didnt know which was right. pic or title. sent them an email . also the link between the ipad and pc had to be remake with code.
hoping this isnt standard. tbf the ipad hadthe albums right, it was the pc one that didnt.

Stig
11-09-2018, 09:49
The album jumbling has just been fixed in 1.11.:)

Your networking issue is strange.

You may find a solution on the Audirvana forum or CA.

struth
11-09-2018, 09:58
The album jumbling has just been fixed in 1.11.:)

Your networking issue is strange.

You may find a solution on the Audirvana forum or CA.

you got a link to the forum Shaun?

mikeyb
11-09-2018, 10:23
Yes auto update.

On spotify.

I don't use it but I do have the SMS200 which has an airplay setting which may work.

Running Audirvana on the NUC works really well BTW. I run it 24/7 and with the APP it's just a matter of firing up the Ipad for music.

The sound is top draw IMHO.Re: NUC, sounds perfect for me to try that method, mind you I can Spotify via my rPi and Boss DAC using Volumio 2. Not ideal but easy enough to do at my rPi is already setup at the back of my system anyway.

Currently using the SoTm via the Squeezebox setting which gives me Nas access as well as Spotify, Bandcamp and TuneinRadio so Audirvana will need to be a decent to stepup in quality to make me buy it if I'm going to lose those features, I'll do the trail on my PC today, buy the app and if no real increase in quality then I'll just end the trail and refund the app via the app store, with iOS apps you get 14 days to refund if not liked/wanted.

struth
11-09-2018, 10:38
The 1.1.1 new issue to fix the images has not arrived for me... ive tried restarting but nothing so far.

tried joining forum but not heard back so far..

Stig
11-09-2018, 11:49
https://audirvana.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

Should get you there Grant.

or

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/43570-audirvana-plus-3-for-windows-official-thread/https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/43570-audirvana-plus-3-for-windows-official-thread/

It's a shame not to have the full Monty. It really maximises the value of the programme.

I'm pretty much an old pre computer at school lag type so it's still all a learning curve for me also but let's see if we can get you up and running.

Pretty sure it's only a matter of finding the right button to press.:eyebrows:

sometimes I need to start AV twice to get the update to take.

Stig
11-09-2018, 11:53
Re: NUC, sounds perfect for me to try that method, mind you I can Spotify via my rPi and Boss DAC using Volumio 2. Not ideal but easy enough to do at my rPi is already setup at the back of my system anyway.

Currently using the SoTm via the Squeezebox setting which gives me Nas access as well as Spotify, Bandcamp and TuneinRadio so Audirvana will need to be a decent to stepup in quality to make me buy it if I'm going to lose those features, I'll do the trail on my PC today, buy the app and if no real increase in quality then I'll just end the trail and refund the app via the app store, with iOS apps you get 14 days to refund if not liked/wanted.

I've not tried the SMS200 in SB mode so can't comment.

But you've nothing to loose with the free try out.

Let us know how you get on.

Sherwood
11-09-2018, 11:58
The 1.1.1 new issue to fix the images has not arrived for me... ive tried restarting but nothing so far.

As I've said on previous postings, I'm really impressed with AV in terms of SQ. However, it is still very buggy and I have had numerous crashes and glitches, even with the latest 1.1.1 update. My trial expires in two days and I doubt whether I will sign up for the paid version at this point. I will keep an eye on developments and the app for the Windows version.

On another point I have noted that AV really needs a powerful PC with plenty of memory (I have 16gb of DD4). Even with this, I have had problems with DSD upsampling.

Geoff

struth
11-09-2018, 13:32
still wont update...so far. it tried once and then the whole program ran aground and had to restart pc. god, it was better in beta ffs

struth
11-09-2018, 13:34
https://audirvana.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

Should get you there Grant.

or

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/43570-audirvana-plus-3-for-windows-official-thread/https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/43570-audirvana-plus-3-for-windows-official-thread/

It's a shame not to have the full Monty. It really maximises the value of the programme.

I'm pretty much an old pre computer at school lag type so it's still all a learning curve for me also but let's see if we can get you up and running.

Pretty sure it's only a matter of finding the right button to press.:eyebrows:

sometimes I need to start AV twice to get the update to take.

yup still no volumio appearing even tho its on network. no idea why others are getting it. can only think its something to do with win 10, or the talktalk router firewall

mikeyb
11-09-2018, 14:58
Well I’ve tried it and nothing but problems, loses connection to the pc every time I play a track then look for something else to play.

Only connects to the iOS app if I restart Audirvana on the pc, okay a track, click on another album and it just churns away doing nothing except prevent you from selecting any of the playback keys or even choose another album/track.

Volume is kinda low even on max.

Not an auspicious start that’s for sure.

I’ll keep trying [emoji16]

struth
11-09-2018, 15:16
Thats odd mike.. im not getting that in any way. Got excess volume tbh. You got it on wasapi?

My issue is it wont update... most of the wrong titles fix when you scroll down about six tiles then back up.. the ios app is not affected tho. Might have to try switching off your firewall at least temp. I did and fixed issues then made a new exception to let stuff through. Works ok that way now...for now.
Sure they will fix it soon.

mikeyb
11-09-2018, 15:18
Thats odd mike.. im not getting that in any way. Got excess volume tbh. You got it on wasapi?

My issue is it wont update... most of the wrong titles fix when you scroll down about six tiles then back up.. the ios app is not affected tho. Might have to try switching off your firewall at least temp. I did and fixed issues then made a new exception to let stuff through. Works ok that way now...for now.
Sure they will fix it soon.Partial success so far, I disabled the 'scan every time it starts' and that seems to have sorted the lack of control etc.

I've got it on asio just now so I'll try wasapi as soon as I finish this post.

mikeyb
11-09-2018, 15:21
Grant, for your Volumio setup I assume you have upnp/dlna option selected in Volumio, can't remember if this is selectable or not, not used Volumio in ages.

Only reason I ask is because that's how I get my SoTm player to be seen in Audirvana.

mikeyb
11-09-2018, 15:23
Grant, for your Volumio setup I assume you have upnp/dlna option selected in Volumio, can't remember if this is selectable or not, not used Volumio in ages.

Only reason I ask is because that's how I get my SoTm player to be seen in Audirvana.Ignore that, I see it's already selected by default.

struth
11-09-2018, 15:25
pretty sure i checked that, but will again

struth
11-09-2018, 15:29
doesnt show anything re dlna/upnp??.. must be in the hdmi connection and putty... not my line lol

Stig
11-09-2018, 15:33
Hi Grant

If you've not done so already could you give us an idea of how your network is set up.

Give details of all connections.

It may help find what's going on.

Also have you re-named your volumio?(kitchen or whatever)

As I understand it SSH is not available with the latest Volumio. Volumio runs all of it's connection options (DNLA/AIRPLAY etc) at start up.

Is Volumio showing up as a DNLA/UPNP device on Mconnect?

struth
11-09-2018, 15:52
volumio is not renamed. its connected to router by wire. laptop is also connected by wire. and no, it doesnt show in mconnect

Stig
11-09-2018, 17:25
Ok so far so good.

My hunch.

Could you humour me and check your network permissions.

For Defender its -Settings-Update and Security-Firewall and Network Settings-Allow apps through the Firewall.

Scroll down to audirvana.exe and take a look see at permissions.

Make sure that a tick in the box corresponds to the type of network that you have. public/private.

If only one is ticked try ticking the other just to be sure.

For Malwarebytes,

I've not used that for a while but I think that it has something similar to the allow apps through in settings.

May be something different to the hunch but hey it's a place to start.;)

struth
11-09-2018, 17:32
Ok cheers will do when next on. Still won't update to 1.1.1. And still not been accepted to forum Must have banned him here. Lol

Stig
11-09-2018, 17:37
Ok cheers will do when next on. Still won't update to 1.1.1. And still not been accepted to forum Must have banned him here. Lol

Ok I've dropped you a PM.

YES I told them to watch out for you:lol::lol:

Seriously it takes a day to allow posting as I remember or they drop you mail.

Don't worry about 1.11 for now.

struth
11-09-2018, 20:26
i have had a look only found it in one place and it was ticked. anyway i have disabled all security and its the same. no dice

struth
12-09-2018, 08:38
I DO MY BEST THINKING IN THE FIRST HR OF THE MORNING :eyebrows:

found the issue regarding 1.1.1 not installing. it had infact installed, but there was 2 instances of audirvana; it hadnt deleted the old version....this was why if i start program from the start section it was asking for a licence again and needed to repair the ipad app. i had a tile on the taskbar and homescreen, which obviously referred to 1.1.0...:doh:

anyway that is now fixed, I think.:lol:

reference to Mike's issue of low volume, i have noticed that with one dac i get a software vc in program, or did yesterday. not getting it with my smsl dac, so might be because officially the main dac(xs dac) doesnt use the vc on it as its for headphones, whereas the smsl has onboard vc so doesnt need the software vc....
sounds complicated lol

Still no volumio2 appearing nor for that matter my oppo which should as its got upnp etc.

oh and no email from the forum...lol

struth
14-09-2018, 11:55
look what just appeared...

https://imageshack.com/a/img922/5263/r07lGC.png

dunno why

Sherwood
14-09-2018, 12:58
look what just appeared...

https://imageshack.com/a/img922/5263/r07lGC.png

dunno why

Have you set upsample to DSD under the general settings? I was amazed at the improvement in SQ through Volumio when I did this.

Geoff

struth
14-09-2018, 13:13
Have you set upsample to DSD under the general settings? I was amazed at the improvement in SQ through Volumio when I did this.

Geoff

was hit or miss with dsd so got it on a custom 24/192 seems stable

Sherwood
14-09-2018, 13:16
was hit or miss with dsd so got it on a custom 24/192 seems stable

I think it does require a powerful pc with plenty of fast (DDR4) ram. However, it does sound significantly better to my ears on the DSD (1 bit) setting.

Geoff

struth
14-09-2018, 13:22
sounds pretty decent this way too.:)

Stig
15-09-2018, 10:52
Well Done Grant.

onwards and upwards:)

struth
15-09-2018, 10:53
Well Done Grant.

onwards and upwards:)

not sure i did anything, but it appeared.. feart to switch off now ;)

Stig
15-09-2018, 11:17
I think it does require a powerful pc with plenty of fast (DDR4) ram. However, it does sound significantly better to my ears on the DSD (1 bit) setting.

Geoff
Hi Geof

Not wanting to get into a PCM vs DSD up sampling thing I do think that the DAC used has some bearing on the resulting sound with either format.

My IDSD does indeed sound better up-sampled to DSD but my Audiolab DAC+ and Pro-ject pre box2 not so much. The networked KefLS50W sound best with no up sampling to my ears.

True a lot of horse power is needed for DSD up sampling but that's pretty much the same for any programme.

But

I just noticed some chat over on Audirvana Forum re the way that it uses CPU resources when buffering and up-sampling.

https://audirvana.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1872#p7499

So maybe that aspect can be worked on for something a little more PC friendly.

What I have noticed it that PCM or DSD Audirvana sounds pretty good to my ears. No special PC required for PCM IMHO.

What sounds best may be subjective.

let's keep in mind that it's still beta.

Stig
15-09-2018, 11:19
not sure i did anything, but it appeared.. feart to switch off now ;)

No but it's working.

So at least you get to try the full fat version with networking and the sound through Volumio is noticeably better with Audirvana in place to my ears.

How is it for you?

Sherwood
15-09-2018, 11:27
Hi Geof

Not wanting to get into a PCM vs DSD up sampling thing I do think that the DAC used has some bearing on the resulting sound with either format.

My IDSD does indeed sound better up-sampled to DSD but my Audiolab DAC+ and Pro-ject pre box2 not so much. The networked KefLS50W sound best with no up sampling to my ears.

True a lot of horse power is needed for DSD up sampling but that's pretty much the same for any programme.

But

I just noticed some chat over on Audirvana Forum re the way that it uses CPU resources when buffering and up-sampling.

https://audirvana.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1872#p7499

So maybe that aspect can be worked on for something a little more PC friendly.

What I have noticed it that PCM or DSD Audirvana sounds pretty good to my ears. No special PC required for PCM IMHO.

What sounds best may be subjective.

Always subjective, but to my ears the DSD processing removes a level of haze that is present on the PCM signal. Listening the DSD stream just sounds more "analogue". The post you refer to may be a way forward (i.e. restricting AV use of CPU processing time) though I am guessing this is not for the novice user. I am also using Volumio (through a Rpi/Digione into a Caiman SEG).

My free trial with AV has now expired and I think I will wait a little while to see if the Windows app app(ears), and the various bugs are sorted out.

Geoff

BTW, I like the posters notion of a HIck Up!

Stig
15-09-2018, 11:46
Always subjective, but to my ears the DSD processing removes a level of haze that is present on the PCM signal. Listening the DSD stream just sounds more "analogue". The post you refer to may be a way forward (i.e. restricting AV use of CPU processing time) though I am guessing this is not for the novice user. I am also using Volumio (through a Rpi/Digione into a Caiman SEG).

My free trial with AV has now expired and I think I will wait a little while to see if the Windows app app(ears), and the various bugs are sorted out.

Geoff

BTW, I like the posters notion of a HIck Up!

''BTW, I like the posters notion of a HIck Up!'':lol:

''The post you refer to may be a way forward (i.e. restricting AV use of CPU processing time) though I am guessing this is not for the novice''

Nope the above is something for the developer to sort out.

''My free trial with AV has now expired and I think I will wait a little while to see if the Windows app app(ears), and the various bugs are sorted out.''

Maybe a wise choice.

Having heard the MAC version along with uncertainty around my own ability to make a meaningful contribution to the Beta test I just opted to buy the licence.

The ability to remote control and network playback really does add value to the software IMHO. I'd not be on board without those features.

I'm liking what I hear so far but the coming addition of KS may be even better (or not):eyebrows:

But you are right. Still a few bugs to squash but from the first release it's improved steadily.

So let's hope that continues.

struth
15-09-2018, 11:53
should it be dsd direct or over psm.. what other settings would be best? in both volumio and av

oh and what's KS?

Stig
15-09-2018, 12:58
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_streaming

Scroll down to Kernel Streaming.

Just another way of bypassing windows Kmixer and volume control.

It's an oldie but a goodie to my ears.

Favoured buy software such as Jplay as the best sounding compared to Asio/Wasapi.

You should have it in Jriver.

struth
15-09-2018, 13:00
give it a read...ta

Sherwood
22-09-2018, 14:41
Audirvana have reset the trial software so that one can get another free trial.

The very glitchy software seems to have improved in the latest version, so I am giving it another month.

Geoff

struth
22-09-2018, 14:43
Audirvana have reset the trial software so that one can get another free trial.

The very glitchy software seems to have improved in the latest version, so I am giving it another month.

Geoff

its working a lot better Geoff. sure new features will come to it over time.

struth
22-09-2018, 16:48
alas i never got to use their forum.. i registered but they didnt send me a reply email so cant sign in.. i did contact them but no reply...i guess i must have offended the guy at some time...still its a very poor way to run a forum connected to your product.

mikeyb
22-09-2018, 19:25
I've uninstalled it and started the refund on Apple for the app, it sounded good but I lost out on Spotify, Bandcamp and TuneinRadio integration that I get with Squeezelite on my SoTm network adapter, so because of that and the cost I didn't feel it was worth it.

struth
22-09-2018, 19:32
I've uninstalled it and started the refund on Apple for the app, it sounded good but I lost out on Spotify, Bandcamp and TuneinRadio integration that I get with Squeezelite on my SoTm network adapter, so because of that and the cost I didn't feel it was worth it.

Don't think it's worth it if not using tidal tbh or Qobuz. Especially Tidal as it then becomes a great package

Sherwood
22-09-2018, 20:24
Don't think it's worth it if not using tidal tbh or Qobuz. Especially Tidal as it then becomes a great package

+1. Tidal integration is excellent. Hopefully the Windows version will get sorted soon. If so, I will be purchasing!

Geoff

Sherwood
27-09-2018, 09:43
Continuing with free trial of AV. Still pretty buggy and too many crashes or refusal to start. However, I have discovered a few features that I like. On the menu, it is possible to add extra info columns in Windows Explorer fashion. I have added bit rate, file path, and date modified.

I also like the cross referencing facility which calls up all tracks by an artist, even if they are a guest on another album or if the file is on a compilation.

Geoff

struth
27-09-2018, 10:08
Continuing with free trial of AV. Still pretty buggy and too many crashes or refusal to start. However, I have discovered a few features that I like. On the menu, it is possible to add extra info columns in Windows Explorer fashion. I have added bit rate, file path, and date modified.

I also like the cross referencing facility which calls up all tracks by an artist, even if they are a guest on another album or if the file is on a compilation.

Geoff

not found any bugs as such Geoff, myself. its ran smoothly since i upgraded it to latest version a few weeks ago. Of course your doing dsd i think so that might be an issue.
how did you add things to info etc?

one thing to watch is it doesnt seem to delete the old version so its possible to try and open older version.. that was why i couldnt get update as it had already done it but the tile on taskbar i was using to open it was still linked to old version

Sherwood
27-09-2018, 10:25
not found any bugs as such Geoff, myself. its ran smoothly since i upgraded it to latest version a few weeks ago. Of course your doing dsd i think so that might be an issue.
how did you add things to info etc?

one thing to watch is it doesnt seem to delete the old version so its possible to try and open older version.. that was why i couldnt get update as it had already done it but the tile on taskbar i was using to open it was still linked to old version

I was prompted to upgrade (again) yesterday, which I did. Seems they are issuing bug fixes almost every week now.

The DSD settings are not relevant to the problems I am experiencing. This may be because they have limited the amount of CPU time AV takes up. In fact, once AV loads, the DSD processing works very well. However, I have had many problems with AV crashing, even when not playing any files. Also, failing to load when launched. The spinning wheel appears to show it loading but it never does I have also had messages asking whether I want to view a memory dump performed by AV.

I will persevere, as it genuinely does improve SQ.

Geoff

struth
27-09-2018, 10:29
I was prompted to upgrade (again) yesterday, which I did. Seems they are issuing bug fixes almost every week now.

The DSD settings are not relevant to the problems I am experiencing. This may be because they have limited the amount of CPU time AV takes up. In fact, once AV loads, the DSD processing works very well. However, I have had many problems with AV crashing, even when not playing any files. Also, failing to load when launched. The spinning wheel appears to show it loading but it never does I have also had messages asking whether I want to view a memory dump performed by AV.

I will persevere, as it genuinely does improve SQ.

Geoff

ive not upgraded mine for a while. im on 1.1.1 (1033) . its not been off since volumio appeared .lol

Sherwood
27-09-2018, 10:40
ive not upgraded mine for a while. im on 1.1.1 (1033) . its not been off since volumio appeared .lol

If you keep it open at all times then I guess you won't get prompted to upgrade when launching AV? May be worth restarting it at least once a week!

Geoff

struth
27-09-2018, 16:53
ive updated it. lol 1.2.1 (1037) so far ok...

Jimbo
29-09-2018, 15:06
Does sound like Windows version is a work in progress unlike Mac version which works superbly well but it has been around for a long time so presume any issues have been ironed out. Not compared AV to many other digital software audio apps but I really liked the improvement it made on my MacBook Pro and user interface especially using iPad with AV+

Sherwood
29-09-2018, 15:52
Bad news... for me at least.

Upgraded again ...... today.

Volumio gone AWOL!!!

Grrrrrrrr!

struth
29-09-2018, 15:59
Bad news... for me at least.

Upgraded again ...... today.

Volumio gone AWOL!!!

Grrrrrrrr!

oh dear... i will stay where i am for now i think. it works

struth
04-10-2018, 08:28
pc crashed so ended up with 1.2.4(1042) it kept refusing to sign in to tidal. :doh: think ive got it working for now, They really need to test these updates before enacting them.

struth
04-10-2018, 09:33
oh yes and ive lost my external upnp connections like volumio. .. all told its becoming quite depressing. As for the forum i never got a reply to my complaint that i cant sign in or want accepted as a member etc.
so, ll in all my appreciation of audirvana is going down.
Its a shame as it does a lot of things right, but their brick wall attitude isnt good.

struth
04-10-2018, 11:14
Oh Great; now it wont even start.. no replies to emails either.

Jimbo
04-10-2018, 11:26
Sorry you are having such Agro with Audirvana.

struth
04-10-2018, 11:57
Sorry you are having such Agro with Audirvana.

after restarting pc several times its working again... alas it has only picked up 1 network unit..wait for it; the pc its running on:doh:
why dont they test things before just releasing them... it was working fine, and the update has not afaik produced anything extra, quite the contrary..

Sherwood
04-10-2018, 12:08
My extended trial has now come to an end, and as much as I like AV in terms of SQ I just cannot bring myself to purchase such a buggy product.

I too joined the forum, but have been unable to log in or post my observations.

Very disappointing!

Geoff

struth
05-10-2018, 18:23
Got volumio and oppo back. YAY!!:)

Sherwood
06-12-2018, 14:18
This arrived this morning and might interest those into streaming:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-7-inch-HD-HDMI-LCD-Display-Screen-Monitor-VGA-HDMI-AV-Audio-Black-UK/252413602277?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It is a 7" HDMI monitor. I bought it to work with a re-purposed Intel NUC which now is used solely for audio. It comes with a 12v power supply but I can power it directly from the usb charging port on the NUC using a 5v to 12v USB converter cable.

The pair will fit neatly into my equipment stand and operated using a blutooth keyboard. For scale, the footprint of the NUC is much less than that of a cd case.

The screen shows Audivarna streaming Tidal

Geoff