PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Coffee LDR Passive Pre

Sixty2
16-08-2018, 18:33
SINGLE INPUT Battery Powered Stereo Coffee LDR (light dependant resistor) Passive Pre. I have used this ‘shoe boxed’ sized unit to great effect with a few Audio Note power amps. Only selling as I now have an AN power amp with volume control. Not too sure if this is similar to other SC Pre’s; the unstepped volume control works anti clockwise from 6 o’clock. Comes with battery charger which has a crack in the plastic casework. When fully charged, the battery lasts for 2-3 months before needing a re charge.

Other than a pair of ANJ’s (probably buying some E’s) this is probably the last piece of kit I will be selling. I recently retired and extremely happy and content with the system I currently have. This pre cost me £170 a year ago, so after much enjoyment, a bargain @ £110 collected from Harrogate or £130 UK next day fully insured RMSD. No PayPal please. Bank transfer of cash on collection.

Many thanks for the pics Marco!

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/6VM0Ov.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/cTcksZ.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/xXipL3.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/wg2DHH.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/921/vbtVTI.jpg

Marco
16-08-2018, 18:49
Now done, Mark. Good luck with the sale!:cool:

Marco.

Sixty2
19-08-2018, 11:12
£90.00 collected, £110.00 UK posted.

Firebottle
19-08-2018, 12:02
That looks rather good Mark, apart from the exposed fuse on the mains inlet socket.

I have plenty of these spare so I can send you a fuse carrier or send to the buyer when sold, no charge.

GLWS

Sixty2
19-08-2018, 12:07
Hi Alan,
Many thanks for your offer of help, much appreciated! I’d be unable to fit this myself though sure I could find someone locallly. I’ll pm you. Thanks again. Mark.

struth
19-08-2018, 13:29
Hi Alan,
Many thanks for your offer of help, much appreciated! I’d be unable to fit this myself though sure I could find someone locallly. I’ll pm you. Thanks again. Mark.

you should manage that yourself Mark. not difficult to do:). make it safer

Edward
19-08-2018, 13:41
Woo, that looks interesting. Don't need another pre but would like to try out what a LDR pre does. So I will have it at the asking. Unless someone else has already sent a PM.

I'll send you a PM Mark. I reckon I can easily do the fuse thingamajig. :)

If this works out nicely I may well ask Chris Daley to make up one with 3 inputs and a remote for the next time my daughter comes back from Oz.

E

Sixty2
19-08-2018, 18:42
Many thanks Edward. Sold.

Firebottle
19-08-2018, 20:13
Edward send me your address by pm and I will post a fuse carrier out to you.

Edward
19-08-2018, 20:44
Edward send me your address by pm and I will post a fuse carrier out to you.

Cheers Alan, very kind of you!

Have sent PM. :wave:

Radford Revival
19-08-2018, 21:26
Thought I'd better say something here.

It looks like this unit is battery powered but for some reason the live pin of an IEC mains inlet is being used as a tie point in an otherwise floating line level circuit. The unit also looks like it would reasonably be plugged into the mains if you didn't know it was battery powered. Especially with the weight of the lead acid battery, it would feel as if it had a mains transformer.

Not to shame anyone's DIY skills but this is probably the worst possible thing someone could have done in terms of electronics wiring, especially for something that isn't even mains powered. The exposed fuse carrier is rather moot as the entire unit will be live should someone plug the thing in.

The circuit, and for all intents and purposes we can assume the case, will instantly go live if it is plugged in, potentially causing other plugged in equipment to go live or blow up too, especially if it's double insulated with a metal external case or otherwise floating such as other battery powered equipment.

Edward
19-08-2018, 21:35
Hi Will

Thanks for this and your email earlier. As mentioned I certainly will not be plugging this into the National Grid. Once I get the unit I will likely move all the IEC gubbins into the box and seal the opening so that no user will be tempted to plug the mains into it.

best
Edward

edit: I'll probably simply replace the IEC socket with a standard DC 2.1mm female connector and a 2.1mm male connector on the charger side and mark things up accordingly.

Firebottle
20-08-2018, 06:52
Thought I'd better say something here.

Well spotted Will, to be honest I didn't look too closely at the innards, just clocked the exposed fuse.

Sixty2
20-08-2018, 07:21
Jeez!! As I know absolutely nothing about electronics, I had NO idea whatsoever that I’d bought something that was this dodgy and never had any intention of ‘pulling the wool over anyone’s eyes’. I have obviously charged this unit unconnected from my system - sounds like fortuitously! Although I’ve agreed a sale, more than happy to withdraw it.

Thanks to all those who spotted the shortcomings of this unit - much appreciated! Marko.

Edward
20-08-2018, 07:35
Jeez!! As I know absolutely nothing about electronics, I had NO idea whatsoever that I’d bought something that was this dodgy and never had any intention of ‘pulling the wool over anyone’s eyes’. I have obviously charged this unit unconnected from my system - sounds like fortuitously! Although I’ve agreed a sale, more than happy to withdraw it.

Thanks to all those who spotted the shortcomings of this unit - much appreciated! Marko.

No probs Mark. As mentioned in my PM still happy to take the unit. I never planned on connecting the unit to the National Grid. I will replace the connectors with suitable connectors for 12v.

Edward

struth
20-08-2018, 09:33
never looked at the pictures tbh, just saw the pic of the iec. as said, its a very silly thing to have done, tempting someone who didnt know, to plug it in.

Radford Revival
20-08-2018, 12:18
At least it's been brought to attention now :)

Edward
31-08-2018, 19:49
Had a play with this preamp today - most impressive. :champagne:

As a follow on I created a new post here (https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?59963-Rega-Planar-2&p=1007504#post1007504).