PDA

View Full Version : Garrard 301 Plinth

slipperyjim
03-04-2010, 12:02
Any one any idea where this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GARRARD-301-GREASE-BEARING-IN-AMAZING-NEW-PLINTH_W0QQitemZ300413603615QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?hash=i tem45f20bcf1f) rather gorgeous plinth may have come from?

Rare Bird
03-04-2010, 12:05
Nice Carbon fibe laminated top, Maple surround, would look very 60's coolness if it were black acrylic top, white acrylic surround with orange armboard

:sofa:

Here goes

http://www.areaudio.com/news.htm

slipperyjim
04-04-2010, 12:32
Thanks for that.

Alex_UK
04-04-2010, 23:23
same idea, but different - my guess is the ebay seller did it himself, seems quite common - try asking?

alfie2902
08-04-2010, 09:57
The plinth was built by Russ Collinson who has become the Wams resident woodworker. Very good he is too! :eyebrows:

In the link below is the very plinth with the 301 & also some other lovely stuff he's made. The 2nd 3rd & 4th photos are Toms who posts here as montesquieu 401 plinth & 6B4G mono blocks.:stalks::eek:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=54640&forum_id=16

I have no connection with Russ I just think he's making some lovely stuff!:eyebrows:

Cheers, alfie

Rare Bird
08-04-2010, 10:20
I'm guessing he made them for the guys in the link i posted?? Nice to see a good cabinet maker at last..people don't seem to care these days, they rather settle for some plain boring black junki finish instead of real wood.The excuse is' i don't like bling!'

Alex_UK
08-04-2010, 11:33
Check out his website - the Gallery in particular - :stalks: and the prices are not too eyewatering either... hmmmm...

http://www.layers-of-beauty.co.uk/page7.php

Alex_UK
08-04-2010, 11:40
Marco - I bet he'd do your Lockwoods - they would be superb looking at the quality of the work in the Gallery, (and praise on the 'Wam page)...

Rare Bird
08-04-2010, 12:28
Check out his website - the Gallery in particular - :stalks: and the prices are not too eyewatering either... hmmmm...

Are yer thinking about pushing the boat out & buying one? Not many proper craftsmen around these days.

Alex_UK
08-04-2010, 12:45
Definitely worth considering for my 401 - I've been umming and aaaahing what to do with it for years - sonically a slate plinth is probably the way to go, but proper wood just looks so nice, IMO... Think something like a solid ply with veneer would be a good compromise.

The Grand Wazoo
08-04-2010, 13:19
How about slate with a decoupled 'floating' wood skin?

pure sound
08-04-2010, 13:30
A friend who does many Garrard refurbs has just had a Cherry wood Shindo 'alike' snug fitting plinth made for a 301. He's found it shockingly better than the Slatedeck double layer plinth he normally uses. That's not to say slate isn't better for other motor units but the Garrards do throw alot of energy & noise at whatever they are mounted in so plinth design is perhaps more critcal for them.

DSJR
08-04-2010, 19:22
Any chance of a piccie or three please?

John
08-04-2010, 19:55
Not easy getting hold of the Shindo but lovelly looking plinth

rahman
09-04-2010, 16:14
A friend who does many Garrard refurbs has just had a Cherry wood Shindo 'alike' snug fitting plinth made for a 301. He's found it shockingly better than the Slatedeck double layer plinth he normally uses. That's not to say slate isn't better for other motor units but the Garrards do throw alot of energy & noise at whatever they are mounted in so plinth design is perhaps more critcal for them.

just wondering whether there's any significant sonic difference b/w a cherry (ply stack or bigger planks btw?) and birch ply shindo-esque plinth. Guy: did your friend happen to compare different woods before deciding on cherry?

pure sound
09-04-2010, 22:00
I'll try to find out more. I don't think cherry will be the final answer though.

rahman
10-04-2010, 16:19
Cool. Thanks, Guy.

A.Grail
04-06-2010, 00:33
I'll try to find out more. I don't think cherry will be the final answer though.

....You rang? - Beware this may be a long one....

I think Guy may be referring to my efforts with cherry plinths.

I eventually looked at plinths having owned the following:
Slatedeck twin layer, Lorricraft 'floating board' several stacked birch ply plinths and many variables.

It is important to note that Shindo opts not to kill vibration (Resin molded type plinths for example) but rather to tune and manage vibration. His choice of Japanese cherry may be due to acoustic properties but also to some extent the reverence of Japanese Cherry as a tree / wood in JPN.

Many DIY plinths follow the 6 layer incremental cut out route, this method enables mass and lamination to deal with vibration and reasonable results can be had from such constructions.

The plinth I've been working on is made from European Cherry (Harder than JPN cherry wood) in addition the cut outs are the closest I have ever seen on any traditional 301 plinth (A very timely undertaking, all done by craftsmen in the UK) the internal area of the plinth you may note from the image below differes significantly from the norm...(please excuse the unfinished plinth finish 8 hand rubbed coats of lacquer have since been applied)
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/furylovelolly/AG%20Ebay%20Shop/AG-plinth.jpg

The significantly closer cut outs ensure a greater volume of mass within the plinth, hide glues are used for the laminations. Placing differing woods 10 - 15% internally is the next job to 'tune' the plinth further (Along with differing arm boards and feet).

Initial results have been favorable over other plinths in terms of musicality, offering a natural and as guy noted 'fruity' tone to the sound.

John
04-06-2010, 04:12
wow nice work

Marco
04-06-2010, 09:51
Top work, Matthew! :youtheman:

Do you think you'd be able to make a nice wooden plinth for the Technics SL-1210? :)

If you could work out a sonically effective design at a reasonable price, I could safely predict more than a few sales to many people here who use SL-1200/1210s! ;)

Marco.

REM
04-06-2010, 11:20
That might be better than a new platter, if it looked half as good as that plinth that would be a bonus.

Cheers

Marco
04-06-2010, 11:35
Oh I think that almost without doubt the effect of a (superior) plinth than that currently used would be more fundamental than that of the new platter........ :)

Of course Mike New has plans to build a new plinth for the SL-1200, but the problem is he lives at the other side of the world! :rolleyes:

Marco.

Rare Bird
04-06-2010, 12:55
Top work, Matthew! :youtheman:

:scratch:

REM
04-06-2010, 14:49
Of course Mike New has plans to build a new plinth for the SL-1200, but the problem is he lives at the other side of the world! :rolleyes:

Marco.

Thought DC was doing the plinth, he does one for the SP-10 I think.

Cheers

Marco
04-06-2010, 15:11
DC's got one on his SP10, and he can get others made like it, I think, but the new plinth for the SL-1200, I believe, is a Mike New creation :)

It'd be far better if Matthew could do one, though!

Marco.

REM
04-06-2010, 19:20
That would be good indeed, I'm thinking lose the strobe and the pitch slider and you'd have a very classy looking deck, especially in that dark finish.

If Mike New is doing the plinth it'll probably be machined from a solid ally billet with brass inserts, weigh as much as a small car and cost as much to get shipped over here, ah well.:rolleyes:

Cheers

A.Grail
04-06-2010, 20:00
Interesting thoughts on the SP-10 plinth. The cherry plinth I've been working on is based on the ideal of tuning motor vibrations which are acute in 301's and 401's. The SP-10 is a rather different beast, nevertheless the correct plinth constructed from appropriate materials to maximize potential is an honorable ideal. Unfortunately I don't own an SP-10 the only DD TT I have is an EMT. I'd be happy to look into SP-10 plinths and potentials but it may take me a little while to achieve the right balance...

Space watch this

John
04-06-2010, 20:04
Hi Mathew
I think people are more interested doing this with the 1210 rather than sp10

A.Grail
04-06-2010, 21:32
Hi Mathew
I think people are more interested doing this with the 1210 rather than sp10

:doh:

Marco
04-06-2010, 21:36
Lol - indeed, John!

Matthew, think SL-1200/1210, not SP10 ;)

So what do you think - fancy looking into it? :)

Marco.

A.Grail
05-06-2010, 07:48
Lol - indeed, John!

Matthew, think SL-1200/1210, not SP10 ;)

So what do you think - fancy looking into it? :)

Marco.

I'd certainly be interested I'll speak with Dave C and look in to it

rahman
08-06-2010, 21:20
Hi Matthew

Came to this thread a bit late, but thanks for the info on the plinth. Any chance you could post the pic of the plinth again?

Cheers
Adrian

Alex_UK
24-07-2010, 17:15

Russ's website appears to have gone, as has the page on 'wam - anyone got any idea what's happened? (It was ok a week or two ago...)

EDIT: Just ignore me, all up again now, must have been a blip.

alfie2902
24-08-2010, 17:11
The carbon effect plinth & 301 that started this thread is for sale over on the Wam :eyebrows: (Linky http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?44600-Interest-Check-Antiquated-(like-me)-turntables) along with a 401 & TD124 mk2. All look very nice in Russ Collinson plinths.

No connection to the seller but thought it may be of interest over here.

If only I had some spare cash atm!! :doh: