PDA

View Full Version : RPI software choices....whats my best option.??

struth
28-07-2018, 13:18
As per above, after blowing my copy of moode 3.7, i was left with a dillema as i aint gonna be smart enough to do moode 4.2...
got volumio2 in at moment and it works up to a point but its a bit clunky.

so whats my options(easy-ish ones)

should say at moment i have a rpi2b and audiophonics dac board

Stratmangler
28-07-2018, 13:40
piCorePlayer.
It can do server and player simultaneously.
It won't take you long to get to grips with LMS.

SantanaCorreia
29-07-2018, 10:22
I have always used volumio since it has 2 spotify plug ins.

The problem is that one of them, the spotify connect plugin, does not work properly.

Does any other software support spotify with the custom playlist included? Volumio does not support them any more unless you do some kind of programimg around it (I could not do it).

Enviado do meu HTC_M10h através do Tapatalk

struth
29-07-2018, 10:28
piCorePlayer.
It can do server and player simultaneously.
It won't take you long to get to grips with LMS.

Quite like this, and have copied it to a card but when i looked at the how to i decided its too much for me at moment. Might get Gary to have a bash at it if he ever comes over again.
The kodi one looks ok too but again im not gonna manage that myself.

struth
29-07-2018, 10:30
I have always used volumio since it has 2 spotify plug ins.

The problem is that one of them, the spotify connect plugin, does not work properly.

Does any other software support spotify with the custom playlist included? Volumio does not support them any more unless you do some kind of programimg around it (I could not do it).

Think the picoreplayer squeezelight might. (Think thats the name)
Not sure if kodi osmc does but may well do.

tubehunter
29-07-2018, 11:22
I've just built a fresh image of MoOde 4.2 (1Gb) and thrown it up to my One Drive link here

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqntMWSofBSyihQ1m5XpM1b3VOJQ

Just unzip it and burn to a microSD card using Win32DiskImager.

Happy Days

LC1979
30-07-2018, 11:10
I've just built a fresh image of MoOde 4.2 (1Gb) and thrown it up to my One Drive link here

That's mighty charitable of you! I might be tempted to give it a whirl. :)

Do you have any sense of the SQ difference with the previous Moode build? I've seen it suggested that it isn't quite as good. The new one is missing the advanced kernals, is that right?

Sherwood
30-07-2018, 13:12
I am very pleased with Volumio Especially, so since I found out (via AoS) that I could access my Tidal account through the £2.99 Bubble PnP app and then play my Tidal files via Volumio.

Good user interface and excellent SQ IMHO.

Geoff

struth
30-07-2018, 14:35

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqntMWSofBSyihQ1m5XpM1b3VOJQ

Just unzip it and burn to a microSD card using Win32DiskImager.

Happy Days

Win disc imager doesn't recognise it as a disc image for some reason

tubehunter
30-07-2018, 15:25
No it doesn't, my mistake in naming protocol.

When selecting the file from within Win32D... change the search criteria from Disk Images (*.img *.IMG) to *.*

Or rename file to something like moode42.img

Happy Days

struth
30-07-2018, 15:40
No bother..cheers again Duncan. Give it a spin

mikeyb
30-07-2018, 18:12
Only drawbacks I see with moode 4.2 is you can't add radio stations from the main menu, you need to ssh them.

Spotify connect needs to be done via ssh too. Ok I know how to do that but having just tried Volumio 2 last week for the first time in ages, it is so much easier to set it all up.

Once the image is installed onto the microsd card it took minutes to setup my Allo Boss DAC, my NAS drive, Spotify Connect, Radio Stations etc.

If want simplicity then Volumio is pretty easy to setup these days as it works via a step by step wizard [emoji4]

Mind you the MoOde playback screen is nice [emoji6]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180730/d3665d260edbbc1e913d307ff3e9c28c.jpg

struth
30-07-2018, 18:27
Got moode going. Didn't get any nice pics tho. Sounds good but UI isn't good for a beginner. lol
Not spent a lot of time on it tho yet.
Yup I think volumio is decent. Don't like the way it handles art tho in the lists

mikeyb
30-07-2018, 20:12
Got moode going. Didn't get any nice pics tho. Sounds good but UI isn't good for a beginner. lol
Not spent a lot of time on it tho yet.
Yup I think volumio is decent. Don't like the way it handles art tho in the listsYeah it's a bit tricky to setup for beginners at you say. Previous experience helped.

I'm going to put Volumio back on as it's handy for my Spotify and radio stations.

Mind you the Pi is only on temporary duties whilst both my Dacs are out on loan [emoji6]

struth
30-07-2018, 22:48
The spotty isn't great but you can play to it fine

jonners
31-07-2018, 09:14
Only drawbacks I see with moode 4.2 is you can't add radio stations from the main menu, you need to ssh them.

If you click on a station it brings up a menu with a 'create new station' option.
Spotify Connect is easy to install (via ssh, as you mention) and in my experience it works more reliably than in Volumio.

mikeyb
31-07-2018, 09:19
If you click on a station it brings up a menu with a 'create new station' option.
Spotify Connect is easy to install (via ssh, as you mention) and in my experience it works more reliably than in Volumio.Ah, cool I did read that option was available but I didn't realise it was on the radio icon itself lol

struth
31-07-2018, 10:21
Another thing with volumio2 that bugs me is the tracks are all mixed up so album may play 11 then 5 etc. Is there a way to sort this? Coz its ball busting

SantanaCorreia
31-07-2018, 10:24
Spotify Connect is easy to install (via ssh, as you mention) and in my experience it works more reliably than in Volumio.I cannot use spotify connect of volumio. It keeps disapearing from the device list and does not connect.

Sherwood
31-07-2018, 10:41
Another thing with volumio2 that bugs me is the tracks are all mixed up so album may play 11 then 5 etc. Is there a way to sort this? Coz its ball busting

If you go to the queue menu check to see if you have the random shuffle option activated. The crossed lines in the top right menu.

Geoff

struth
31-07-2018, 10:48
If you go to the queue menu check to see if you have the random shuffle option activated. The crossed lines in the top right menu.

Geoff

it doesnt change the order. the tracks are all numbered, but its playing them obviously in the order they are in in the file i guess. files sometimes get them jumbled but moode always sorted them by number irrelevant

Sherwood
31-07-2018, 10:56
it doesnt change the order. the tracks are all numbered, but its playing them obviously in the order they are in in the file i guess. files sometimes get them jumbled but moode always sorted them by number irrelevant

Clear the queue, toggle the random play off and try again. I have not had this problem and have been using Volumio for some time. It always plays file in the order they are in the folders.

Geoff

struth
31-07-2018, 11:03
Clear the queue, toggle the random play off and try again. I have not had this problem and have been using Volumio for some time. It always plays file in the order they are in the folders.

Geoff

that will be the issue as some are in wrong order in folders for some reason. Moode just played them in track order irrelevant of folder order. must just be way its coded. dare say it could be recoded to go by track no but not by me. im not finding and reordering all the problem folders. I wont live long enough to do it;)
pity as i like it bar this and the album art not showing on folders that say have artist folder then the album as many do. it just looks ugly to me...my ocd goes haywire:lol:

Sherwood
31-07-2018, 11:12
I see a few posts about this. Apparently it can be sorted by using the artists or album view. Do a Google and choose which response works best.

Geoff

struth
31-07-2018, 11:20
Will have a look ..cheers...

This is how moode 4.2 handles same folder

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180731/e1da24c0b25971511260bc68dae0a28a.png

Ps does anyone know if in moode there are picture backgrounds to download as on picture it just goes to my pics..

mikmas
31-07-2018, 11:32
Is it possible to add radio stations to Volumio now?

Only reason I stick with Moode (3.8 still) is that the BBC 320kbs streams are included by default.

I tried installing stations with the old version of Volumio and got nowhere but don't want to go through the hassle again if it still doesn't work.

struth
31-07-2018, 11:37
Is it possible to add radio stations to Volumio now?

Only reason I stick with Moode (3.8 still) is that the BBC 320kbs streams are included by default.

I tried installing stations with the old version of Volumio and got nowhere but don't want to go through the hassle again if it still doesn't work.

not looked at that myself. i will be looking at stations when i get info, but there are a few on here who will know..
i liked the last version of moode before they went to 4-2.... alas it was updated to that in the pi and i stupidly never backed it up on pc. it was so stable etc, but needless to say the card corrupted :doh:

my own fault entirely. 4.2 has possibilities but its early days yet.

mikeyb
31-07-2018, 11:41
not looked at that myself. i will be looking at stations when i get info, but there are a few on here who will know..
i liked the last version of moode before they went to 4-2.... alas it was updated to that in the pi and i stupidly never backed it up on pc. it was so stable etc, but needless to say the card corrupted :doh:

my own fault entirely. 4.2 has possibilities but its early days yet.Pretty sure I have older images saved on my Nas if you need a particular version.

struth
31-07-2018, 11:47
Pretty sure I have older images saved on my Nas if you need a particular version.

would be good if you had. will persevere with 4.2 for now. how did you get that nice pic on the phone..;) ive switched something on and so far a pic of mountains has appeared on screensaver behind the album art. not sure if it will change again...lol

struth
31-07-2018, 12:22
https://imageshack.com/a/img922/8762/2EIMCu.png

some of moode 4.2 stations including the 320k bbc stations.

mikeyb
31-07-2018, 12:33
would be good if you had. will persevere with 4.2 for now. how did you get that nice pic on the phone..;) ive switched something on and so far a pic of mountains has appeared on screensaver behind the album art. not sure if it will change again...lolThat is on my android phone and it just came up like that [emoji5]

struth
31-07-2018, 13:48
Ok, avoiding music library and looking under artists it orders correctly(volumio2) and you get album art.... under albums it also orders correctly but no album art.... using music library, it takes the order in the folder and you get album art...:eyebrows:

so now we know...not tried genre

guyhayton
02-08-2018, 20:33
Moode 4.2 for me... but since I discovered JRiver I now tend to just use Moode as a UPnP client and send my music to it via Jriver (much nicer interface).
The only time I goto the Moode interface is to play radio stations.

Tim is doing a great job with Moode in my opinion and I send him a donation at every release (and sometimes in between)

struth
02-08-2018, 20:45
Moode 4.2 for me... but since I discovered JRiver I now tend to just use Moode as a UPnP client and send my music to it via Jriver (much nicer interface).
The only time I goto the Moode interface is to play radio stations.

Tim is doing a great job with Moode in my opinion and I send him a donation at every release (and sometimes in between)

Got that to try yet on moode when I switch back to it. After saying that volumio is quite good at many things, but not a fixed and perfect system. I can link my jriver to volumio too and play through to it as well tho. Tried that today. also goes to my oppo should i wish or for that matter all three.
it also does spotify which moode doesnt without code.

guyhayton
02-08-2018, 21:35
I don't do Spotify - so can't say I've noticed it's omission <lol>

The RPI with IQaudiodac+ has been a revelation to me... it's just a great working solution! (I do have my eyes on the new allo Katana DAC though :lol:)

Stratmangler
02-08-2018, 22:03
I don't do Spotify

I do, and it's a doddle to run on piCorePlayer.

struth
03-08-2018, 00:04
I do, and it's a doddle to run on piCorePlayer.

Need to get someone to set it up on my machine. Ive got the image tho. Lol

Stratmangler
03-08-2018, 00:41
Need to get someone to set it up on my machine. Ive got the image tho. Lol

It's a doddle, Grant!
I had it up and running within 15 minutes of unboxing the RasPi hardware.
OK, I am comfortable with networking to a large extent, but there were a few thing that threw me, and took a good few hours to figure out, but the basic hardware function took literally minutes, because the instructions were so clear.

My issues were specific to my installation, but after a bit of contemplation and lateral thought (and literally reading the installation notes from the https interface) those problems were overcome.

The Spotty app is absolutely brilliant, and it properly interfaces with your online account.
You click on "follow artist", and the artist appears on the https interface, along with the app.

The local library takes a little bit of thought to work out, but once sorted it's extremely stable.
And for me, the local library thing is absolutely key - and in my case it has proven to be rock solid and reliable.
And it's not particularly hard to drive - my son (who turns 18yo in just over a month - where did the time go?) has been able to operate the Squeezeboxes here for at least the last 10 years.

Remember that piCorePlayer can run both server and player simultaneously, and can be addressed from any web browser to run it.
As of tonight I have version 4.0.0 running- it seems to be very stable, but I'll make a judgement on that in a couple of weeks time.

struth
03-08-2018, 15:06
It's a doddle, Grant!
I had it up and running within 15 minutes of unboxing the RasPi hardware.
OK, I am comfortable with networking to a large extent, but there were a few thing that threw me, and took a good few hours to figure out, but the basic hardware function took literally minutes, because the instructions were so clear.

My issues were specific to my installation, but after a bit of contemplation and lateral thought (and literally reading the installation notes from the https interface) those problems were overcome.

The Spotty app is absolutely brilliant, and it properly interfaces with your online account.
You click on "follow artist", and the artist appears on the https interface, along with the app.

The local library takes a little bit of thought to work out, but once sorted it's extremely stable.
And for me, the local library thing is absolutely key - and in my case it has proven to be rock solid and reliable.
And it's not particularly hard to drive - my son (who turns 18yo in just over a month - where did the time go?) has been able to operate the Squeezeboxes here for at least the last 10 years.

Remember that piCorePlayer can run both server and player simultaneously, and can be addressed from any web browser to run it.
As of tonight I have version 4.0.0 running- it seems to be very stable, but I'll make a judgement on that in a couple of weeks time.

sounds good Chris. think it will be beyond me tho. getting very difficult do do much now tbh. Have to await someone with the ability to visit(might be a long wait lol)not sure where my usb keyboard is either. only thing in my favour is i currently always use ethernet.
volumio2 is ok tho, as is what ive seen of moode 4-2. not what i want but will do. volumio at least looks good, but the spotify plugin is only of use to play to. it does show the info of whats playing in volumio but there is little or no control from within.

I get this

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180803/b54d6dfaaa5be6cb9e0599cb5b4c591a.png

mikeyb
03-08-2018, 19:09
Grant, couldn't find any older versions of moode on my Nas other than 2.0, 2.1

I must have deleted the newer versions, sorry