PDA

View Full Version : FS: Rare EAR 890 valve power amp

nickbaba
28-07-2018, 10:26
I've decided to sell on my EAR 890 power amp, due to recently acquiring a Radford TT100.

This is a very high quality amp, super detailed presentation and plenty of power (70w). Parallel push-pull, 8x KT88s. It has a solid-state level of definition in the highs and lows, yet it still has that lovely valve mid-range. Sounds amazing with my Tannoy Cheviots. It also looks drop-dead gorgeous.

It's in tip-top condition, serviced and re-valved by Tim deP himself in Dec 2017 (service history included with manual) and recently (last week) checked over by David Coe at AD Audio and given a clean bill of health. There was a small issue with the stereo/mono switch being a bit sticky but it was all sorted out by David.

Price for a new one is 6k. I'm asking £2250. Shipping will be extra, depending on location, and it will need to ship fully insured. You are also welcome to collect from London SW6.
Comes with original packaging/box and user manual.

Any questions, please let me know.

Bigman80
28-07-2018, 13:34
Wow, this is stunningly beautiful.

I've checked the bank and im afraid it's bad news! 🤣

GLWS.

If my lotto numbers come in, I'll be in touch.

nickbaba
28-07-2018, 13:49
Heh heh yep it's a beauty all right. And they don't come up for sale that often, especially at this price point.

Good luck with those Lotto numbers!

AD Audio
28-07-2018, 13:58
A lovely sounding amp indeed! Plenty of power, detail and finesse! I enjoyed having this one to stay in my studio while I replaced the stereo /mono switch and gave it a check over. It's in pristine condition both inwardly and outwardly. GLWTS!
David

montesquieu
28-07-2018, 20:21
Superb amps, give nothing away to solid state in bass definition or punch while well capable of real subtlety.

I had the 899 integrated version (same amp with a built in passive pre up front) and really rated it. 8 x KT88 what's not to like?!

The valve amp for people who'd love a valve amp but don't want to give up on the best bits of solid state. Nice price too.

struth
28-07-2018, 20:28
Here's a bigger picture

https://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23872&d=1532773278

Gorgeous amp

nickbaba
28-07-2018, 21:34
Cheers Grant - still haven't worked out how to do that! :doh:

lordmortlock
28-07-2018, 22:52
Drunk. And this amp is sexual.

dconstan
29-07-2018, 17:21
I've decided to sell on my EAR 890 power amp, due to recently acquiring a Radford TT100.

This is a very high quality amp, super detailed presentation and plenty of power (70w). Parallel push-pull, 8x KT88s. It has a solid-state level of definition in the highs and lows, yet it still has that lovely valve mid-range. Sounds amazing with my Tannoy Cheviots. It also looks drop-dead gorgeous.

It's in tip-top condition, serviced and re-valved by Tim deP himself in Dec 2017 (service history included with manual) and recently (last week) checked over by David Coe at AD Audio and given a clean bill of health. There was a small issue with the stereo/mono switch being a bit sticky but it was all sorted out by David.

Price for a new one is 6k. I'm asking £2250. Shipping will be extra, depending on location, and it will need to ship fully insured. You are also welcome to collect from London SW6.
Comes with original packaging/box and user manual.

Any questions, please let me know.

Hi,
I am interested in your already have one and I am thinking of getting an other one, brings them and use them as monoblocks.
Just a couple of questions:
Do you have the original packaging, so it can be shipped?
How old is the amp? Are you the first owner?
Finally, may I ask why you are using KT88 and not the original KT90?
Many thanks.
Dinos.
P.S. maybe it’s more convenient to reply in dconstan@windowslive.com.

nickbaba
29-07-2018, 18:00
Thanks for all the interest. Now SOLD.

Parcelmonkey
30-07-2018, 20:16
I knew this wouldn't sit around long! I appreciate it's sold but if someone could humour me?
I have the EAR 834 integrated (again a lovely beast sound and looks wise) but always on the look out for an upgrade as I feel the preamp section is the weakest link on my amp. This 890 power amp with something like the Tisbury pre, would this be a significant upgrade to mine or a more powerful sideways move?
If anyone can offer advice, I'd appreciate it. I tried the V20 once and although loved the bass control found it just a little too sterile in its presentation compared to mine.
Thoughts anyone?
Great price as well...

montesquieu
30-07-2018, 20:20
I knew this wouldn't sit around long! I appreciate it's sold but if someone could humour me?
I have the EAR 834 integrated (again a lovely beast sound and looks wise) but always on the look out for an upgrade as I feel the preamp section is the weakest link on my amp. This 890 power amp with something like the Tisbury pre, would this be a significant upgrade to mine or a more powerful sideways move?
If anyone can offer advice, I'd appreciate it. I tried the V20 once and although loved the bass control found it just a little too sterile in its presentation compared to mine.
Thoughts anyone?
Great price as well...

Only a beneficial move if you need the additional power. 8 x EL34s in the 834 is enough for most. The V20 is only 20w - it shouldn't have any more bass control than your 834. It it felt like it does then you probably need a set of output tubes.

Parcelmonkey
30-07-2018, 20:25
Only a beneficial move if you need the additional power. 8 x EL34s in the 834 is enough for most. The V20 is only 20w - it shouldn't have any more bass control than your 834. It it felt like it does then you probably need a set of output tubes.

Thanks for reply. I've had the EAR serviced and tubes replaced since, when I did a side by side comparison it was a couple of years back and I liked my 834 at the time better and still do. I just wondered what the sonic presentation would be like from this and a passive pre compared to mine? I love my 834 as the service Mr T de P gave it was sublime but itches are there to be scratched you know... :)

lordmortlock
30-07-2018, 20:26
Is the pre section passive Ade? I know that some of the EAR amps have that. If it is, you could open it right up and try a pre or two up front and see how it sounds

montesquieu
30-07-2018, 20:30
Is the pre section passive Ade? I know that some of the EAR amps have that. If it is, you could open it right up and try a pre or two up front and see how it sounds

I'd agree with that. On many EAR amps there's a pre-in option that bypasses the internal passive. Try a tube pre up front and see how it goes.

In my view the EL34 and KT90/KT88 EAR amps all sound pretty similar, which one you go/which one sounds best for you depends on what your speakers need. The only EAR amp I found I didn't like was the 509 monoblocks, sounded pretty flat and boring to me, didn't stay very long in my setup.

Parcelmonkey
30-07-2018, 20:42

Sadly no! I asked when I took it up for its service and it didn't have this option, although others in the range do. I'm just interested to hear what other amps do, my Marantz PM4 sounds great too but the EAR is still better. Will have to wait for a V12 to come up near me and try that, or do a bake off thingy...

Parcelmonkey
30-07-2018, 20:45
I'd agree with that. On many EAR amps there's a pre-in option that bypasses the internal passive. Try a tube pre up front and see how it goes.

In my view the EL34 and KT90/KT88 EAR amps all sound pretty similar, which one you go/which one sounds best for you depends on what your speakers need. The only EAR amp I found I didn't like was the 509 monoblocks, sounded pretty flat and boring to me, didn't stay very long in my setup.

I was lucky enough to try a Modwright LS36.5 pre with a class D Primare power amp whilst mine was away for service; loaned to me by a very kind gent, I loved the Moddie, not so keen on the class D. That's what got me thinking.

Mike Reed
31-07-2018, 11:58
Must have been a synergy thing then, Tom, as we had my friend's 899 (890 with pass. pre.) as a power amp against my 509s, both with my 912 up front. Tonally similar but we all preferred my 509s into my Quad 2905s. Fairly marginal but distinct difference.

montesquieu
31-07-2018, 12:18
Interesting. Into Tannoy 15in Golds the 509s were a snoozathon, compared to V20 or 534. Preamp was an SJS Model Two. (Active). I'm not generally a fan of passives.

User211
31-07-2018, 13:55
The only time.I have heard 509s was into Tim's own speakers. The ones that use a dynamic driver to push a flat panel.

That did sound good, I thought, within the size constraint of the speakers. No snoozation there it definitely sounded quite alive. That said it doesn't mean it wouldn't have been more alive with another amp.

Tim was blaggin' good about his TT that day, LOL.

Mike Reed
31-07-2018, 14:12
Tim was blaggin' good about his TT that day, LOL.

Saw that when I was there 5 years ago. Some kind of magnetic mechanism and it looked very impressive if somewhat complex. I vaguely remember T de P telling me that a few were made but it was simply too expensive to produce as a commercial proposition. He's had a go at most audio things and I can understand his not trying tone-arms or cart's but rather surprised he never got round to tuners as they've complemented amplification for well over half a century. A valved tuner? There have been a few but not in the last 40 odd years, to my knowledge.

nickbaba
31-07-2018, 21:40
I just wondered what the sonic presentation would be like from this and a passive pre compared to mine?

Hi Ade
Imho the presentation of the 890 was very similar to a good solid-state amp. It's not a warm and cosy kind of valve amp. Very detailed and revealing sound, with great grip on the bottom end and clear highs. In fact it was a little too SS for my tastes, as I also own a McIntosh MA7000, 250w pc, and there was little to choose between them sound-wise, at least to my old ears. That's a compliment to the 890, but it wasn't what I was looking for from a valve amp. I was using it with a passive pre, or sometimes with my EAR 834p as pre-amp.

For someone else tho', it could represent the best of both worlds - solid-state clarity and grip with a bit of valve air and sparkle...

Parcelmonkey
01-08-2018, 19:48
Thanks for that insight. Just what I was hoping to hear...