PDA

View Full Version : Components / Brands?

BajaGringo
25-05-2008, 19:59
Maybe it would be nice to have separate forums setup by brands (Pioneer/Sansui/Marantz) and by components (Speakers/Amps/TT/Tape/Tube) for example. That way threads that are specific to each will be easier to organize and find.

But what do I know???

:confused:

Steve Toy
26-05-2008, 02:23
We don't really do brands on AoS. To us the badge on the front of a box is pretty meaningless as each component or combination of components is judged on its own merits. As for individual components we have separate sections for analogue and digital front ends, a vintage as well as a main section where we can talk hi-fi in general. We also have a section devoted to ancilliaries and tweaks that enable systems to work even better as a whole.

We consider systems in a holistic sense - remove one of the component parts and the system fails to operate. For this reason too many subdivisions risk stifling discussion that seeks to improve the quality of recorded music playback through a given system in its entirety.

BajaGringo
26-05-2008, 03:12
Didn't mean it in that sense and I do fully understand your point of view. I am not interested in audio as a snobbish thing or "mine is better than yours" kind of idea. Not me at all, believe me. I guess that I was thinking of how there are some issues that tend to run within certain brands. For example, my Sansui AU717, a great integrated amp has the tendency at this point in life to develop "peeing" caps. That was all.

But I do like your point of view and if you take a look at my system you will see that it is a blend, bringing together a sound quality that I love, and especially love to share...

Cheers!

Steve Toy
26-05-2008, 11:11
For example, my Sansui AU717, a great integrated amp has the tendency at this point in life to develop "peeing" caps. That was all.

This is down to the capacitors used in the Sansui. Naim-Audio use similar caps that "pee" after about ten years or so but they offer a re-capping service.

BajaGringo
26-05-2008, 17:52
Yes, I know mine is going to need. I am going to have to pull it out of the rack and leave a black hole with no rear speaker power for a few weeks. Just talked to the tech on Friday who is going to do the job. Figured I might as well have the entire amp gone over and brought up to spec. It is a great integrated amp IMHO...

Marco
27-05-2008, 07:52
Maybe it would be nice to have separate forums setup by brands (Pioneer/Sansui/Marantz) and by components (Speakers/Amps/TT/Tape/Tube) for example. That way threads that are specific to each will be easier to organize and find.

But what do I know???

Interesting idea, Baja.

However we feel that there are enough topic sections/subsections at the moment to keep everyone occupied :)

Marco.

Filterlab
27-05-2008, 10:45
You could of course start threads about each brand in the Blank Canvas section and see what people follow up with, you never know, you may just start a mini-cult or two. :)

Donald Hanson
09-06-2008, 22:33
Baja: Not to get hung up on a post, but have you considered doing the recap/driver trannys yourself? I have relatively little hard core electronics experience and I went through my AU-719 last fall/wnter and it was not only rather easy, it was so rewarding to wrap it all up, plug it in and hear that beautiful "Sansui sound"! I also removed the old speaker connectors and replaced them with new 14k gold 5-way terminals cuz I built new xovers for my speakers and made them bi-wire.

Just a thought