PDA

View Full Version : For Sale - J Soundlab 300b SET amplifier

lordmortlock
23-07-2018, 13:38
Ok, let’s do this.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2zxtdm8.jpg

The longest stay of any component in my system and with good reason, but times are a changing and with a young family Hifi is dropping down the priority list. So, an opportunity for someone to buy this superb 300b Based SET amp. 8 chunky watts, in super order, with a nice matched pair of EH golds and two sets of practically unused 6H8C. This excellent unit has a volume control, and so can be used as either a power amp or a single unit integrated. I’ll include a simple QED switch box, to add another input option.

http://i67.tinypic.com/ebatdi.jpg

I’ve preferred this to many more expensive SET amps ... I had the opportunity to p/ex it to ‘trade up’ to a border patrol 300b and liked this better. Its both an affordable route into 300b amplification and a bloody brilliant amp in its own right and, frankly, an absolute bargain at this price.

http://i63.tinypic.com/domd1t.jpg

It’s not too heavy, so happy to ship and I’ll double box it really well, but buyers will have to arrange their own courier. Collection is fine too, although I hope you’ll understand that I’d rather not demo it, as I don’t want to hear how good it is again now that I’ve decided to sell.

Probably worth mentioning that as with most valve amps there is some minor hum through the speakers but very much within tolerance and the SQ more than compensates.

£500 firm.

struth
23-07-2018, 13:42
very nice jake...

lordmortlock
23-07-2018, 13:51
Beginning of the end of the journey Grant. For now at least. I’ll be back!

lordmortlock
23-07-2018, 13:56
Meant to say ... I have a matched pair of JJ 300b with only test hours (< 5hours) on. The buyer of this amp gets first dibs and a special price of £100.

andyrlb
23-07-2018, 14:02
I know nothing about valve amps but this looks bloody nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawrence001
23-07-2018, 14:25
Beginning of the end of the journey Grant. For now at least. I’ll be back!

Children? I'm there too but took me years of fighting my rational self to get there.

lordmortlock
23-07-2018, 14:29
I know, I’ve had proper full on nightmares about the idea of selling up! Its right for me though. It’s about more than Hifi tbh, I’m determined to detach from the digital world whilst Leo is young. I don’t want to be that dad who’s staring at his phone whilst the kids try and get his attention, something I could easily become on current trajectory.

lordmortlock
23-07-2018, 14:41
I know nothing about valve amps but this looks bloody nice

Very easy to use Andy, self biasing, basically plug and play. And what with you coming down on Wednesday too ... perhaps it’s meant to be :lol:

andyrlb
23-07-2018, 14:53
Very easy to use Andy, self biasing, basically plug and play. And what with you coming down on Wednesday too ... perhaps it’s meant to be :lol:

Ha ! Now you’re getting me all excited but unfortunately I’m broke right now so it would mean selling my Pm4 which I may regret.

lordmortlock
23-07-2018, 14:56
I would not want to part a man from his PM4! Classic amp that

andyrlb
23-07-2018, 14:57
I’m pleased you understand mate [emoji1303]
See you soon

Audio Al
23-07-2018, 15:32
I don’t want to be that dad who’s staring at his phone whilst the kids try and get his attention, something I could easily become on current trajectory.

Thats the most caring comment I have read on hear for ages , WELL DONE Jake , A Propper dad :)

lordmortlock
23-07-2018, 17:22
Thanks Mate. It’s something I’ve become increasingly aware of. Far too dependant on the thing!! Might bin the iPhone and get an old one with buttons that doesn’t do tinternet. Old Skool!

Idlewithnodrive
23-07-2018, 18:30
Thanks Mate. It’s something I’ve become increasingly aware of. Far too dependant on the thing!! Might bin the iPhone and get an old one with buttons that doesn’t do tinternet. Old Skool!

Very sensible.

There's quite a movement growing around ditching smart phones.

sent from my iPhone ............

montesquieu
23-07-2018, 20:40
Just to say Jake .. it's a shorter time than you imagine at this end of it ... my good kit went away for about 6-7 years while the pair of mine (born about 18 months apart) got to a sensible enough age not to wreck cartridges or put their hands on valves. If you think something will be hard to replace, just tuck it away. That's what I did and it was a total joy not just to unpack it and set it up later, but to spend time with the kids teaching them how to listen.

Now my lad (astonishingly he'll be 20 later this month) is into decent sounds himself (he's a headphones fan) and has a network of like-minded lads he exchanges Spotify links with. If he particularly bonds with an album he'll buy it on vinyl and he saves up to go to gigs with his mates. He's not into classical (the daughter, coming up for 22, is to some extent though and is an accomplished harpist) but much of what he listens to sounds to me like 70s jazz rock .. I must say I've given him a bit of a shock dusting off Zappa, George Duke, Brand X, Colliseum and the like stuff TBH I haven't played in years but some of it must have sunk in along the line.

What I'm saying is that this passion isn't as selfish as it appears ... you can pass it on. No need to get out of it, just shelve it for a bit.

lordmortlock
23-07-2018, 21:18
That’s a nice post, thanks Tom.

There will always be music in the house for sure, as one of my oldest, most treasured memories is my mum spinning me around the front room to Jackson Browne (fountain of sorrow, what a track) but I’m thinking a half decent integrated rather than bottles. There is of course a distinction between music and kit, music and technology (esp smartphones!) but if I’m honest the three things are perhaps a little entwined here, so wanting to address the balance a bit.

Idlewithnodrive
23-07-2018, 21:34
Both of my lads, now 24 and 28 are massively into music, albeit via streaming / phones / laptops and we are constantly sharing new music discoveries with each other.

It's fantastic, still a really precious father / son (s) experience and I consider myself very lucky to have it.

The playback method doesn't matter, the music and sharing experience is everything.

philv
24-07-2018, 06:19
Ha ! Now you’re getting me all excited but unfortunately I’m broke right now so it would mean selling my Pm4 which I may regret.

I could be unterested in the pm4 if that helps

andyrlb
24-07-2018, 06:21
I could be unterested in the pm4 if that helps

Thanks Philip, I will hold on to this one for now though . [emoji1303]

disarmamant
24-07-2018, 18:44
Well, I heard this amplifier a few years ago at Jakes house driving his Living Voice IBX speakers and it was absolutely superb.

I had the LV OBX's at the time and I was astonished at the sound Jake was getting compared mine.

If it was me I'd be putting it away for another day. Buy it now before he changes his mind!

Lawrence001
26-07-2018, 19:55
If Jake bought my big lockable rack he could keep plenty of gear set up ready but safely free from little inquisitive hands :)

I'd consider a PX trade on this amp too :)

lordmortlock
02-08-2018, 19:59
Well, I heard this amplifier a few years ago at Jakes house driving his Living Voice IBX speakers and it was absolutely superb.

I had the LV OBX's at the time and I was astonished at the sound Jake was getting compared mine.

If it was me I'd be putting it away for another day. Buy it now before he changes his mind!

Thanks for the kind words Martin, that means a lot coming from someone as skilled as you.

The amp is now sold and paid for, thanks for the interest