PDA

View Full Version : Beechwoods' Den - April 2010

Beechwoods
02-04-2010, 09:16
It was September 2008 (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1128) when I first posted up in The Gallery and things have changed quite a bit since then. The recent purchase of a pair of Rogers JR-149 speakers has prompted me to take some new pictures of my kit, and write some more about it.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods_den/beechwoodsden_201004_01.jpg
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods_den/beechwoodsden_201004_02.jpg

I got my speakers from BigEars Audio (http://www.bigearsaudio.org.uk/). My previous speakers, which I still have, were home-made standmount transmission-line speakers, based on the classic LS3/5A crossover design and KEF drivers (B110B bass/mid and T27 tweeters). Most will know that the JR-149 design was also based on the LS3/5A, with... KEF B110A and T27 drivers! So the new speakers are a home from home :lol:

My main reason for swapping speakers was size. My Den is not the biggest place, and being tall transmission-line enclosures, they took up more space than I wanted to give them. At Scalford I had the chance to hear some JR-149's in a small room and they impressed me with their greater punch versus my more neutral sounding originals. It just goes to show what a difference enclosure designs can have on the sound. For what it's worth I think my old speakers would work better in a bigger room with room to crank them up, but at lower levels in my smaller room, the Rogers impress.

And they look lovely. I'm sure their circular design are an acquired taste, but I much prefer them to 'boring' box speakers. The teak finish on the tops looks a treat :)

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods_den/beechwoodsden_201004_03.jpg

And in the right corner, a few of my reel to reels. A Tandberg TD-20A, my Pioneer RT-707 and a Uher 4000 Report Monitor. All my reel to reels are ¼", The Tandberg and the Pioneer are both quarter track stereo.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods_den/beechwoodsden_201004_04.jpg

The Uher is a half-track mono machine. I picked up the Uher for £45 and had to do some work to get it back to original condition - new belts, a new speed-switch knob, and a new speed-switch mechanism. My Uher is an ex-BBC Scotland machine, and was nicely taken care of, the only thing was that the Beeb had a policy of removing the speed-switch and cutting the switch rod itself, so the speed couldn't be easily or accidentally changed from the 7½ ips standard. They also knobbled the switch mechanism to disable the power-off, so the machine was always ready for immediate recording. All great stuff for broadcast use, but I wanted a machine in original condition... luckily most Uher parts are still available so some pidgin-German conversations with parts stockists on the continent had me sorted!

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods_den/beechwoodsden_201004_06.jpg

OK. So no Quadraspire or Mana here. My motivations are as much those of a collector as a high-fidelity freak, so storage is the key thing. Heavy IKEA cubes :)

Amplification is by Quad, of course. The 33-303. Gorgeous English design, and lovely sound from the Type AB power amp. Mine is unmodified, though at some point in the future I may go down the Netaudio 33/303 upgrade route. For the moment though I'm happy with the sound.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods_den/beechwoodsden_201004_07.jpg

The dbx 224 noise reduction unit isn't really necessary, but I'm having a play round with it at the moment. To be honest recordings at 7½ ips on decent tape don't need NR. The 224 certainly reduces the noise-floor, but as with all NR I've heard, at the expense of the presence and ambience that makes a recording come alive. I've not yet tried it with Metal-tape recordings on my Nak or Studer though.

The Behringer mixer is a big compromise I know ;) For me though, with all my different sources, it's the best way of managing the multiple inputs into the 303 pre. I use it with all channels muted bar the one I need to route through to the amp. With my kit I'll be honest and say I can't hear the affect of the Behringer, and the convenience of being able to switch 8 stereo sources, plus the headphone amp, is indespensible :ner:

Next down, a NEAL Ferrograph 302 cassette deck, kindly donated to the Beechwoods collection by Anthony TD. Thanks Anthony! NEAL are now owned by Canford Audio and are more famous for their Law Enforecement interview recorders than their association with Ferrograph, who are of course legends in UK high-end audio. NEAL (North East Audio Limited) had a short-lived partnership with Ferrograph around 78-79 and the 302 is from 1978. It's a heavily engineered machine, with a transport milled from 4mm aluminium. Single capstan, but lovely sound. Legend has it that Naim started development of a cassette deck based on the NEAL Ferrograph transport, but it ditched after a few year's effort when it became clear that Compact Disc was the the next big thing.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods_den/beechwoodsden_201004_08.jpg

The anonymous silver box below the NEAL is my Sony DVP-NS700V SACD player. Excellent for (um) playing SACD's and CDR's that fail to be recognised by my more iconic Toshiba XR-Z90.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods_den/beechwoodsden_201004_09.jpg

If you couldn't tell from the picture the XR-Z90 is another design classic :) Toshiba's first CDP, and a machine with a vertically opening door. Sorry, but I'm a sucker for this stuff. It is my regular runner, and to my ears it sounds great.

Under the Tosh is my Studer A710. The A710 is an incredible sounding deck. Comparible with my Nakamichi ZX-7, but with a slightly warmer sound, and a scintilla more 'broadband' tape hiss on playback. The Nak confines it's hiss reproduction moreso to the top-end!

Over on the other side, my Nak; already mentioned. I had mine shipped over from the States. High-end tape gear is actually obtainable over there, and the price was still cheaper than in the UK where these decks regularly go for anything over £500. Which is a lot of money to me :)

And to the left of the Nak, my Nagra IV-S TC. Plenty of pictures and talk about this machine on my original Gallery posting! The black Tascam on top of it is my HD-P2 digital recorder; used for all my analogue to digital transfers. This is a fantastic machine which records to Compact Flash cards, for easy transfer to my computer for editing etc. The balanced inputs work well with the Nagra and the Studer.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods_den/beechwoodsden_201004_10.jpg

And at the bottom, my Realistic 8-Track Cartridge Player / Recorder, currently in need of a service and cleaning, having chewed a cart :( It has a lovely, albeit mid-fi, tone to it and the signal levels they managed to get onto the carts in some cases is surprising. It's a fun source, with some unique releases on 8-track that make it an essential item for the archivally-obsessed.

Below my 8-Track is my EL-7 Elcaset. I've written previously about Elcaset and my EL-7. There's an entry on my earlier Gallery post (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=24023) with some other pictures and details. Suffice to say that Elcaset was a tape format that used tape twice the size of regular cassette, and ran at twice the speed. In combination with the FeCr tape formulations available, it's the best 'cassette' format that never caught on!

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods_den/beechwoodsden_201004_11.jpg

And last, but not least, some of my 'software'.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods_den/beechwoodsden_201004_12.jpg

Interconnects are mostly Van Damme microphone cables, budget but really nicely made by Mark Phillips of www.proaudioshop.co.uk, and the speaker stands are Atacama SE24's. Speaker cable is pretty basic Gale XL-315 stuff I bought years ago! The best Richer Sounds had to offer at the time :ner: So that's me up to date :)

Spectral Morn
02-04-2010, 09:54
Looking nice Nick.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
02-04-2010, 10:45
When I make suggestions, it sometimes comes across all wrong and I end up offending people, which I DON'T intend to do - EVER!!!!!

I just wanted to ask if you can move the bookcase from between the speakers? If you can, you *should* have a massive improvement in soundstage whether your eyes are open or closed. The 149's can really impress this way (I remember them well ;))

Love the collection of gear - you have a TD20A, I would love a good Ferrograph Logic 7 from the same era (I've owned two "boring old" B77's..........) and still lust after a 33/303, although I wouldn't need or want to use it daily..

baron
02-04-2010, 10:52
Nice update Nick:)
I liked the Rogers at Scalford too, in the room with the Quad ll's if I remember correctly.

Marco
02-04-2010, 10:55
Fabulous, Nick! A fine example of organised chaos! :respect:

That room looks like a lot of fun and really appeals to me on a number of levels. Keep collecting (as I know you will) and enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

Beechwoods
02-04-2010, 11:12
When I make suggestions, it sometimes comes across all wrong and I end up offending people, which I DON'T intend to do - EVER!!!!!

I just wanted to ask if you can move the bookcase from between the speakers? If you can, you *should* have a massive improvement in soundstage whether your eyes are open or closed. The 149's can really impress this way (I remember them well ;))

Love the collection of gear - you have a TD20A, I would love a good Ferrograph Logic 7 from the same era (I've owned two "boring old" B77's..........) and still lust after a 33/303, although I wouldn't need or want to use it daily..

:stalks: :stalks: :eek:

You're right Dave, and to be honest, the shelves between the speakers probably aren't going to stay - for precisely the reasons you state. Those shelves were downstairs until recently, and I figured I'd try them - I always need more storage. But they stick out too far and they do interfere too much with the speaker positioning. With the speak's being new I'm still playing around to get them just right...

Looking nice Nick

Fabulous, Nick! A fine example of organised chaos! :respect:

Thank you both of you! It does take quite a bit of discipline to keep it from becoming a rats-ass of stuff, but I'm trying to keep the standard high, albeit I'm sanguine that my system's performance is balanced against it's vintage aesthetic!

Nice update Nick:)
I liked the Rogers at Scalford too, in the room with the Quad ll's if I remember correctly.

That was it, Valvebloke. I think his thing was a bit like mine, an inveterate collector. He had a nice set of Quad II's. We had a good natter too :)

Rare Bird
02-04-2010, 11:16
Nice Nick with the Neal/Ferro.

I need a Neal 140's ;)

The Grand Wazoo
02-04-2010, 11:33
Nice Nick,
Your Pioneer seems nw to have been converted from steam to electrical power as I didn't spot the smokestack in these pictures!

Re. the shelves I'd be trying to find another place for them. It'd be a shame to hobble the true potential that those JR's have in the imaging department.

REM
02-04-2010, 11:40
Some very nice stuff there Nick, thought it was Linn that were messing about with evaluating cassette as a source, maybe they were both 'at it'.

Primalsea
02-04-2010, 13:28
Nice..

If ever I end up destitute in Bristol I'll come round to yours and ask if I can live in your den. I wont take up much room, honest, I'll sleep under the chair if I have to.:lol:

Beechwoods
02-04-2010, 13:31
You'd be very welcome Paul! It gets lovely and warm up there when I've got everything powered up so you wouldn't get cold!

DSJR
02-04-2010, 15:35
Some very nice stuff there Nick, thought it was Linn that were messing about with evaluating cassette as a source, maybe they were both 'at it'.

Back in the bad old mid eighties. A visit to Naim revealed an early prototype cassette deck Julian was playing with. There was to be no Dolby, a single capstan transport (although beautifully made in Japan - I forget which one) etc etc.. The thing was "playing" a just recorded test tone and had that horrible "tearing" kind of flutter which besets so many single capstan cassette drives. Thankfully, this device never happened as the sheep would have regarded this hideous thing as the second coming...

Beechwoods
02-04-2010, 15:55
:rofl: That would have been it. Though the speed stability on the NEAL is excellent to my ears, single capstan or not.

goraman
02-04-2010, 19:02
Beechwoods,I love the big Tandberg.
Tell us a little about the new speakers Ive never seen them before.

DSJR
02-04-2010, 19:26
:rofl: That would have been it. Though the speed stability on the NEAL is excellent to my ears, single capstan or not.

For some reason, the take-up clutches on many machines became very strong and not too smooth and this to me was the main reason for the horrid "tearing" flutter which kills woodwind reproduction at the beginnings of tapes.

With the Revox A76 tuner, which I shouldn't have got rid of, I was given an early Neal cassette deck with the Wollensak ('scuse spelling) mech. This sample was worn out with rumbling bearings and idlers, but I did have a second sample which was very much better. I was really into Naks by this time and got through quite a few (682ZX, 700ZX/E, LX5, CR4, CR7 and even a Dragon for a while) and the poor Neal didn't really compare. I also had a Tandberg TCD 310 which I had re-furbished. All long gone now.

Beechwoods
02-04-2010, 19:29
Beechwoods,I love the big Tandberg.
Tell us a little about the new speakers Ive never seen them before.

Thanks Jeff :)

This is a link to the best JR-149 resource on the 'net: http://www.mcmullon.com/icollect/hi_fi/jim_rodgers/jr_review.htm

There's also a thread on them from way back, on here... http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1570

But the short version is they were designed by a chap called Jim Rogers who is a bit of a legend in UK hi-fi circles, along with the likes of Peter Walker of Quad, Spencer Hughes of Spendor and Dudley Harwood of Harbeth. Like Spencer Hughes and Dudley Harwood, Jim Rogers had learnt his trade as a BBC R&D engineer, and had worked on the development of the LS3/5A monitor speaker design, and it was to manufacture and improve the LS3/5A design that he left the BBC in 1977 or so to start JR Loudspeakers.

The JR-149 was interesting because the enclosure was circular, and manufactured from aluminium, with a brace from top to bottom, and a wooden finish at the top. One of the design aims of the enclosure was to avoid any flat panels. Compared with the traditional box-constructed LS3/5A, the 149's are said to have better bass reproduction, but in-line with the LS3/5A they're pretty neutral sounding.

They're bigger than they look. 18½" high by 20" across.

I must say I'm well chuffed with them, and I know there's at least one other AOS'er (St3v3) who's smitten with theirs :)

DSJR
02-04-2010, 19:47
Slightly lean-n-bright as are the best 3/5A's, but with excellent imaging. The JR150 was fun as well if the top end can be tamed - neither like old solid-state distortions. Can't remember what tweeter the 150 had, but the T27 needs careful matching to sing and when it does, it's still great.......

Beechwoods
02-04-2010, 19:47
I was really into Naks by this time and got through quite a few (682ZX, 700ZX/E, LX5, CR4, CR7 and even a Dragon for a while) and the poor Neal didn't really compare. I also had a Tandberg TCD 310 which I had re-furbished. All long gone now.

In my experience there's little that will compare with a top-end Nakamichi, or Studer / Revox in the tape-deck stakes*. Until you've heard one (and you have, Dave) it's difficult to appreciate just what a really great tape deck is capable of. The NEAL 302 is from a slightly different time to the machines you mention, all of which came later (bar the Tandberg, which I'd have loved to hear!). I would be interested to hear it up against a Nakamichi 700 or 700II which is probably a fairer comparison, timewise. It's a shame I didn't plug it in at Scalford - Andr'e would have been able to offer an opinion!

Anyway, my holy grail is still a Dragon. I have hundreds of tapes recorded by friends in the past, and the NAAC auto-azimuth has to be an essential for getting the best from tapes recorded on other machines... It's a shame you got rid of yours ;)

* I've yet to hear an Aiwa XK-S7000 or Tandberg 3014A yet... until that day...

goraman
02-04-2010, 19:48
I like them but it looks like they would need some power to drive them.
My favorit older speaker is the KLH modle 6 by Henry Kloss.
It rolls off at 15 khz. So there is not alot of high end sparkle but the realisum and scale,midrange is unlike anything I've heard,only the Audio Note E comes close but you need power to drive them. And My amp in triode is only 20 watts per side.I still might recap the old pair of my fathers and add the help of a super tweeter.

DSJR
02-04-2010, 19:59
In my experience there's little that will compare with a top-end Nakamichi, or Studer / Revox in the tape-deck stakes*. Until you've heard one (and you have, Dave) it's difficult to appreciate just what a really great tape deck is capable of. The NEAL 302 is from a slightly different time to the machines you mention, all of which came later (bar the Tandberg, which I'd have loved to hear!). I would be interested to hear it up against a Nakamichi 700 or 700II which is probably a fairer comparison, timewise. It's a shame I didn't plug it in at Scalford - Andr'e would have been able to offer an opinion!

Anyway, my holy grail is still a Dragon. I have hundreds of tapes recorded by friends in the past, and the NAAC auto-azimuth has to be an essential for getting the best from tapes recorded on other machines... It's a shame you got rid of yours ;)

* I've yet to hear an Aiwa XK-S7000 or Tandberg 3014A yet... until that day...

I got rid of a lot more than *just* a cassette deck... I remember I also had an original 700 at the end too, which now resides with my CR7 and Revox B77 in a mate's "museum."

The Dragon will be fine for playback, but the meters were cr@p for recording as they were mostly very slow to react (though they got better). I was told the Dolby S playback reference for responses etc was a late Dragon and this certainly seems to be the case.

Other good cassette decks from the 90's were the TEAC 8000 series, with a Nak beating mech (yes, really) and a great sound (I had a 7000 which sounded soft and "slugged," the 8000 being tons better apparently).

Rare Bird
03-04-2010, 11:38
Slightly lean-n-bright as are the best 3/5A's, but with excellent imaging. The JR150 was fun as well if the top end can be tamed - neither like old solid-state distortions. Can't remember what tweeter the 150 had, but the T27 needs careful matching to sing and when it does, it's still great.......

I always thought the 'JR-149' sounded better than the 'LS3/5a' to my ears..The 'JR150' used an Audax tweeter & Bass/Mid units.

Dave i'm looking out for the original Nak 1000 Tri-tracer in minto condition for ones collection (Wooden cabinet condition not important) how much roughly do they go for on the used market?

DSJR
03-04-2010, 16:43
About tuppence I hope. They're VERY unreliable, have complex multi-pole switches that give constant trouble and you can't get bits for them as far as I'm aware.....

They're desirable now as ornaments/museum pieces, so I expect they'd go for thousands.....

I liked my 700 ZX/E (next range down frm the 1000. The 700- XZ/E, XZ/L the latter with automatic tuning I think), but the CR7 sounded clearer and had a better frequency response.

Sorry to spoil it mate, but I remember these things......

jandl100
04-04-2010, 10:16
There's also a thread on them (the JR149) from way back, on here... http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1570

I must say I'm well chuffed with them, and I know there's at least one other AOS'er (St3v3) who's smitten with theirs :)

Nice setup there Nick, and I do love the JR149 speakers - I played mine in the nud. :eek: (The speakers, not me :eyebrows: but they are a bit 'industrial' like that). On balance I'd take them in preference to LS3/5A, even disregarding relative current pricing.

Some photos of the ones I had and their bigger bro', the JR150, on that thread you linked to. :)

Jonboy
04-04-2010, 12:21
A very nice growing collection you have Nick, Chris (wazoo) has some of my manuals and i remember some tape stuff in there, Nags and others but you have to ask him what they are, he's hoping to scan them all for prosperity.

I did fancy a pair of the Rogers but they are not ideally suited to Valves power wise from what i hear, it will be well worth getting your Quads serviced, i use the same 33 303 in my office which have been done, they are very good sound wise and easy on the ears and i'm only the second owner from new :)

Rare Bird
04-04-2010, 13:05
About tuppence I hope. They're VERY unreliable, have complex multi-pole switches that give constant trouble and you can't get bits for them as far as I'm aware.....

They're desirable now as ornaments/museum pieces, so I expect they'd go for thousands.....

I liked my 700 ZX/E (next range down frm the 1000. The 700- XZ/E, XZ/L the latter with automatic tuning I think), but the CR7 sounded clearer and had a better frequency response.

Sorry to spoil it mate, but I remember these things......

Sorry Dave can't buy that mate.

I've always found Tandberg miles better machines IMHO.

I'm not gonna argue Frequency extremes cos i'm not intrested in all that tripe, I collect use vintage for reason, i'm not a hi-fi nut as some seem to think!

Beechwoods
04-04-2010, 14:03
Tandberg made some very nice decks... but they're rarer than high-end Naks and cost even more. They were beautiful objects as well, as testified by your picture!

Rare Bird
04-04-2010, 14:15
Tandberg made some very nice decks... but they're rarer than high-end Naks and cost even more. They were beautiful objects as well, as testified by your picture!

No fiddly knobs & buttons like the Naks, the construction was amazing aswell as proper VU Meters.

Marco
04-04-2010, 15:10
I collect use vintage for reason, i'm not a hi-fi nut as some seem to think!

Bollox! You've got a very discerning pair of ears (don't let anyone tell you differently), and as far as the bit highlighted above goes, the quality of your recordings on CD (apart from anything else) says otherwise ;)

These are stunningly awesome:

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2201/tandberg.jpg (http://img651.imageshack.us/i/tandberg.jpg/)

I'd swap my CR-7 for one anytime!!

Marco.

Beechwoods
04-04-2010, 15:40
If you ever do feel like getting rid of it, let me know :)

Marco
04-04-2010, 15:50
No worries, dude :cool:

I might happen one day, as I'm using my Technics RSB-565 (similar to the one Alex tweaked for the show in London) more these days, to save the heads on the CR-7, and TBH, there isn't a hill of beans between them as far as making high quality recordings goes (which is all I use a tape deck for really - tapes for the car), although the Nak edges it on playback :)

Marco.

Beechwoods
04-04-2010, 18:34
I'm on the look out for one - so when the time comes let me know. I love my ZX-7 for playback, but for tapes recorded with odd-azimuth, the CR-7 is the keys to the kingdom. And I've plenty of tapes recorded on common-all-garden decks that would benefit from that azimuth control. The ZX-7 has perfect azimuth as far as I can tell, so I don't ever want to go anywhere near it with a screwdriver!

Cheers :cool:

DSJR
04-04-2010, 19:35
When you adjust the azimuth on a three head Nak, you adjust the height as well. I've never seen a Dragon or CR7 being set up, but the standard models have to be sorted on their test set and with proper tapes, as height and azimuth can be adjusted together.

That test set was so easy to use once you found your way around it and of course it could be used with other machines too.

Rare Bird
05-06-2010, 23:20

The Tandberg 'TCD910' was the greatest cassette deck ever made, would trounce on a Nak..

I seem to remember seeing an old Technics Cassette deck in your collection nick what was it? I also notice Marco uses a Technics Cassette Deck too..I'm thinking about locating a 'M270X', 'M75'/'M85' or 'M88'..Technics made some super decks that wernt prone to the long term probs both Nak & Tandy were...

Barry
06-06-2010, 16:20
The Tandberg 'TCD910' was the greatest cassette deck ever made, would trounce on a Nak..

I seem to remember seeing an old Technics Cassette deck in your collection nick what was it? I also notice Marco uses a Technics Cassette Deck too..I'm thinking about locating a 'M270X', 'M75'/'M85' or 'M88'..Technics made some super decks that wernt prone to the long term probs both Nak & Tandy were...

Marco has a Nakamichi CR-7.

What long term problems would these be? I have a Nak BX-2 and a BX-125E, both around thirty years old. I have not experienced any problems with either of them.

Regards

Rare Bird
06-06-2010, 16:24
Marco has a Nakamichi CR-7.

What long term problems would these be? I have a Nak BX-2 and a BX-125E, both around thirty years old. I have not experienced any problems with either of them.

No Marco said he uses a Techy to save his Nak heads!... Believe me Naks break down, Drags are prone to Motor failure

DSJR
06-06-2010, 16:36
By the time marco's Nak heads are knackered, his tapes will have disintegrated or shed themselves to destruction. The pressure rollers will certainly need replacing long before the heads do..

Beechwoods
06-06-2010, 19:48
I seem to remember seeing an old Technics Cassette deck in your collection nick what was it?

Mine is an M85 but it's not sounding well at the moment. I think it needs both mechanical and electrical work - levels are very low, speed is fluttery. It's one I intend doing myself, but haven't found the time yet.

It is a good looking and extremely heavy machine. Alex Nikitin has a fettled one and he shared some recordings he'd made here a while back. The M85 is capable of great sounding playback.

Barry
06-06-2010, 21:04
No Marco said he uses a Techy to save his Nak heads!... Believe me Naks break down, Drags are prone to Motor failure

Marco has a Nakamichi CR-7, he just doesn't use it.

Beechwoods
06-06-2010, 21:13
:donk:

Rare Bird
06-06-2010, 21:21

:lolsign: Yeh would look nice in your cave nick your right :eyebrows:

Have you got a picky of your Techy M85 i'm sure i saw it but can't find it now :scratch:

Barry
06-06-2010, 21:24

Ha ha! Point taken!

Beechwoods
06-06-2010, 21:55
Have you got a picky of your Techy M85 i'm sure i saw it but can't find it now :scratch:

You've got a good memory... it took me a while to find it (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=60390&highlight=IMG_2385_s.jpg#post60390) for myself!

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods/gallery/IMG_2385_s.jpg

Here's a nice pic from Audioscope:

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods/technicsrsm85.jpg

Rare Bird
06-06-2010, 22:25
I love those long throw toggle switches. You lucky getting one with a door as new looking as that Nick.

The 'M65'/'M75'/'M85'/'M88' were all nice machines. 'M95' was a bonza but i've never seen in the flesh before, doesnt look as nice as the other four tho...

Marco
07-06-2010, 14:23
Marco has a Nakamichi CR-7, he just doesn't use it.

Correct, and for the reason Andre says! :)

Mostly I use the Technics RS-B565 when I'm making tapes up for the car or the boom-box in the bedroom (which is really all I use a tape deck for these days), as I find the CR-7 is only fractionally better in record mode.

Where it really shines is in playback mode, as the superb quality of the heads makes the most of pre-recorded cassettes and the best NOS chrome and metal tape, should I feel inclined to make recordings from my system of CDs or records to demonstrate to people how close good tape gets to vinyl (and pisses all over anything digital!) :eyebrows:

However, those occasions are rare, as there isn't enough room on my Mana racks to house the Nak, and it's a ball-ache moving stuff off to accommodate it. Therefore, it's usually kept elsewhere in safe storage, saving the heads of course in the process.... :cool:

Nick, I'm loving that Studer!

Marco.

Rare Bird
07-06-2010, 16:13
Nick, I'm loving that Studer!

Your not the only one.