PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Bosley

Bosley
18-07-2018, 20:31
My hifi journey started in the 60’s with a Garrard turntable, Rogers amp and a pair of Kef kit 2 speakers. With a bit more cash to spend I moved on to Quad 33/405 with Thorens/SME/Stanton and Spendor BC1’s.
This was added to with Nakamichi tape deck and then later on an Arcam CD player and I have stayed with this system for 40 plus years.
Then I was introduced to Spotify (and now Tidal) played through a Chord Mojo DAC. This was a revelation to me, it brought my system alive and revived my interest in hifi once again. The Thorens and Arcam have gone, replaced by a Chord 2Qute/Chromecast/Tidal.
Digital for me I thought, then I went to the North West Audio Show and wandered into a demo by Soundfowndation. I now understand why people rave about vinyl. The guy doing the demo was playing Toy by Yello and it sounded superb. I asked him if the sound source really was the turntable and if so where was the crackle and the hiss? He said he could give me that but he would have to rub the disc on the carpet first! Absolute magical sound but it came with a price tag somewhere north of £20k!

I am currently listening to Elbow, Laura Marling, Can, Yello, Alt-J, National, but with Tidal I am browsing AOS recommended albums and discovering new music. Wonderful!

struth
18-07-2018, 20:50
Hi and welcome. Hope you enjoy the forum. There's a place for both digital and vinyl imo

Barry
18-07-2018, 23:39
Welcome to AoS John.

Nice introduction. Don't give up with digital, as Grant has said, there is a place for both approaches; and if properly implemented, the two can be equally satisfying.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

walpurgis
19-07-2018, 07:01
Hello John. Welcome to AOS.

There's always room for every type of Hi-Fi, digital and analogue. As long as it satisfies and is enjoyable.

Tell us what future plans if any you may have for your system. We like to hear what people have in mind.

And feel free to join in any chat that interests you, everybody is friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Bosley
19-07-2018, 16:04
Looking forward to picking the AOS collective brain