PDA

View Full Version : Moving coil with silky top end

Dickchy
13-07-2018, 15:34
In the next few months I would like to upgrade my Eroica LX cartridge. I am very happy with it but I feel my new Ekos SE is capable of taking something with a silkier treble - a slight hardness at the top end is the only thing I can fault the Eroica for.
Any suggestions?
I am hoping to listen to some cartridges at Cimbiosis as they set my LP12 up. Their brands are Linn, Kiseki, Lyra and Dynavector. I am happy to spend four figures as this will probably be my end cartridge (I hope!).
I like the reviews of Lyra but have never heard one.

Thanks in advance

walpurgis
13-07-2018, 15:49
The Eroica LX is a nice MC and hardness at the top is not something I'd associate with it. Have you looked at anything else that could be influencing the sound?

I find using pure copper conductor cables on the front end can be beneficial and avoid silver plated or pure silver cored cables.

Dickchy
13-07-2018, 15:52
The Eroica LX is a nice MC and hardness at the top is not something I'd associate with it. Have you looked at anything else that could be influencing the sound?

I find using pure copper conductor cables on the front end can be beneficial and avoid silver plated or pure silver cored cables.
Hi Geoff, I’m being ultra picky! Not thought of cables do you mean between phono amp and pre amp in my case?

Richard

walpurgis
13-07-2018, 15:53
Hi Geoff, I’m being ultra picky! Not thought of cables do you mean between phono amp and pre amp in my case?

Richard

Yes, that's what I meant.

Dickchy
13-07-2018, 16:05
Yes, that's what I meant.

Well just swopped the Orange Symphony Oriton cables for some LAT 300 International cables I had spare. Top end is silkier but detail is lower. Horses for courses I guess. I have a few other spare cables lying around so may have to experiment.
Agree the Eroica LX is a wonderful cartridge for the money. Just fancy seeing if I can take things up a notch (it will be the final notch!)

walpurgis
13-07-2018, 16:18
Just fancy seeing if I can take things up a notch (it will be the final notch!)

Well, of the makes you mention, I'd be drawn towards Kiseki personally.

Dickchy
13-07-2018, 16:28
Thanks Geoff, have put the Oriton back in - the emotion had gone along with the detail when I swopped. Actually the Oriton were the first cables that meant I left the flat earth society and realised that they could make a very big difference. I have used Oriton ever ever since throughout my system.
The Kiseki blue had a very good review recently in one of the mags. I’m in no hurry, the Eroica is making very nice music, just interested in other people’s thoughts on cartridges.

walpurgis
13-07-2018, 16:37
I've not tried one (yet), but Shelter MC's are reputed to have a sweet top end. I tend to go for ZYX myself, but they don't suit everybody.

chris@panteg
13-07-2018, 20:53
Shelter 901.

Nonnegativ
13-07-2018, 20:57
For silky top end I would like to suggest Benz Micro higher range - my Benz Ruby Z is the most refined and musically evolving cartridge I have. It is mounted on a Voyd with Helius Omega tonearm.

I have tried the Kiseiki Blue when looking for a cartridge for my second tt (Garrard 401) - it was a bit dull so I ended with up with a Lyra Delos.

However: In comparison on my system the Lyra Delos plays HiFi, where my Benz Ruby Z plays refined & involving music.

Just my two cents - and off course it is system dependant.

Lurch
13-07-2018, 21:15
A cart that punches well above its weight is the Hana SL. It is seriously underpriced, sings well with the std 100ohm loading on most phonos, but really takes flight if you can give it the recommended 400+ohms. Now run mine at 470 via an MFA SUT and it really plumbs the depths, with great mids and extended treble + lots of air and space.

sq225917
13-07-2018, 21:19
benz LP user here, couldn't be smoother top to bottom

YNWaN
13-07-2018, 21:51
Yeah, Benz carts are a good shout.

(I’ve no experience of the Hanna so can’t comment either way)

anubisgrau
13-07-2018, 22:40
you can gain a lot with accurate and precise mounting of cartridge, especially azimuth, VTF and VTA.

though some brands are hopeless in this matter, the first name i think of is audio technica

martian sunrise
14-07-2018, 08:09
A cart that punches well above its weight is the Hana SL. It is seriously underpriced, sings well with the std 100ohm loading on most phonos, but really takes flight if you can give it the recommended 400+ohms. Now run mine at 470 via an MFA SUT and it really plumbs the depths, with great mids and extended treble + lots of air and space.

Which MFA are you using?

martinjohn308
14-07-2018, 10:50
I’ve been using a Kiseki Blue NS for just over 2 years on a LP12 / Aro combination it’s been excellent. Marries well with the Paradise / Grad 1, so if your in the market for a top flight MC I suggest the Kiseki.

Regards,

Martin

Mike Reed
15-07-2018, 11:21
For silky top end I would like to suggest Benz Micro higher range

However: In comparison on my system the Lyra Delos plays HiFi, where my Benz Ruby Z plays refined & involving music.

Just my two cents - and off course it is system dependent.

Agree; good comparison. I've had two Lyras; Helikon and Clavis, and more recently a Benz Ebony. Good and dynamic as the Lyras are (and I've recently had a Titan i on my deck for a few days), the Benz was more magical in the musicality stakes. Both are happy in lowish medium mass arms.

Conforming to the o.p.'s terms of reference, Koetsus and Miyajimas would do the trick, but would need a higher mass arm (esp. the Miyajima). I don't know the spec's of the Ekos, however. Benz seem to be very good value in the uber cart. stakes at just over the 2 K mark as opposed to nearer 4 K for others. The LPS (top of their range) is, by all accounts, a humdinger !

I've also got a Transfig. and Urushi; both lovely if utterly different but it does depend upon the arm, foremost, and of course the ph/stage etc.

Ali Tait
15-07-2018, 14:23
Another vote for Benz. I have a Gullwing SLR, which I think is excellent.

oldius
15-07-2018, 14:37
I rate the top end of the Denon DL-S1 very highly.

stevied
15-07-2018, 19:45
Audio Technica AT 33sa moving coil

Not quite sure how they make this so good for the price I recommend it highly.

Jason P
15-07-2018, 23:07
Audio Technica AT 33sa moving coil

Not quite sure how they make this so good for the price I recommend it highly.

I agree that the 33 series are exceptional carts for the money. And they have a very detailed yet refined top end to them. I’d love to hear the ART1000; it’s getting amazing reviews.

Lurch
28-07-2018, 08:58
Which MFA are you using?

Sorry for the delayed reply.
I'm using the copper wound, classic baby SUT (into phonostage of my MasterSound PHL5 Pre). Did try the 632 but whilst it beat my IA PS3.SE hands down with better bass, detail and musicality, the Classic was far superior in all areas. If your near the South Coast your more than welcome to come and have a listen.

martian sunrise
28-07-2018, 12:45
Great - thanks. I get to Bosham and Goodwood quite a bit. I’ll drop you a line.

CornishPasty
29-07-2018, 17:04
Having had both AT33 and Benz Ace twice over I kept the Benz, by far the nicer of the two in my system. I also happen to have an Eroica, bought from a member here to keep as a spare and I was quite surprised when I decided to use it. I wouldn’t swap it for an AT33 tbh.