PDA

View Full Version : Turntable dilema

bonus
13-07-2018, 09:12
Hello,

After spending the last 18 months rekindling my love of vinyl, I have the opportunity to start to upgrade the 80's kit that I recovered from my loft.

I have been looking at turntables and started off with a budget of 600-800 but that has crept up to 1000-1200.

I had done quite a bit of research and decided on the Clearaudio Concept with the MM cart at around £1195

However, a visit to Audio T and I got talked up to Rega Planar 6 with the Ania MC cart at £1469 or the Exact MM at £1259

Then a visit to Sevenoaks and was recommended the Project RPM 5 carbon at £1295 with the Ortofon Bronze MM, however, Audiovisual Online have a deal with the RPM and Quintet Bronze MC at £1224

I am going to get the NAIM NAIT 5SI and stick with my Ditton 33 speakers for the time being. I have a NAD phono which has a switchable MM/MC

I am confused and not sure which to go with. They all seem very good, the Concept for its simple design and ease of use, the Rega with separate PSU and seems to have good build quality and the RPM for value considering the deal with Audiovisual.

I would very much appreciate some guidance on these or should I be looking at something else in my price bracket?

Right now it would be the RPM deal at Audiovisual but go back to Sevenoaks and see what they can do on a deal pperhaps.

Thank you for reading this far.

Cheers
Bruce

Bigman80
13-07-2018, 09:13
Just go and buy this or the silver. Difficult to improve on this turntable unless you go 1210G or SP10 MK2 or above.

https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-19424-technics-sl-1210gr-direct-drive-turntable.aspx

https://www.bicestermusicandlighting.co.uk/technics-sl-1200gr-direct-drive-turntable-silver-15273-p.asp

hifi_dave
13-07-2018, 10:11
P6 with Ania or Exact depending on budget. I've not heard anything close at the price.

Clive
13-07-2018, 10:13
What is your existing TT and do you have to buy new?

bonus
13-07-2018, 13:25
Its a Technics SLBD20.
I did look at used but prefer to get a new one as I have always bought used kit and it is time for a change.

montesquieu
13-07-2018, 13:32
Just go and buy this or the silver. Difficult to improve on this turntable unless you go 1210G or SP10 MK2 or above.

https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-19424-technics-sl-1210gr-direct-drive-turntable.aspx

https://www.bicestermusicandlighting.co.uk/technics-sl-1200gr-direct-drive-turntable-silver-15273-p.asp

+1. The new Techie is a no-brainer at that budget.

Bigman80
13-07-2018, 13:51
Absolutely. Just get it done and be happy
+1. The new Techie is a no-brainer at that budget.

bonus
13-07-2018, 16:27
Thank you for the suggestion, I will have a look into it but I'm going to be £1600+ with the Technics and that's probably too much at the moment

Bigman80
14-07-2018, 12:46
Thank you for the suggestion, I will have a look into it but I'm going to be £1600+ with the Technics and that's probably too much at the momentWhy? Just use your current cartridge until funds allow an upgrade.

Seriously, the other TTs won't compete with the Techy.

It's your decision but I'd strongly suggest at least getting a Demo before deciding.

Good luck with the choice!

If you want a left field suggestion, a Sony PS-X70 or PS-X65 Will be as good as any of the others, if not better.

Just my opinion of course.

Jac Hawk
17-07-2018, 14:22
Pick up a good 2nd hand Rega P whatever on line, stick an Audiomods series 5 arm on it and ortofon or nagaoka cart job done!!

mac72
17-07-2018, 19:19
You can get Clearaudio Concept from Ebay @ £650 , nice starting point and if you decide to upgrade in the future shouldn't loose too much

Jac Hawk
17-07-2018, 20:26
To be totally honest, rather than listen to us lot and basically buy on recommendation why not use what we say as a kind of short list, if there are any members close to where you live see if you can have a listen to their decks or get yourself off to a retailer with your shortlist and make a decision based on what you hear.

Natara
19-07-2018, 06:58
A lot depends on whether you buy new or used. Buy used and you can buy a high end TT for a few hundred pounds, a Linn Axis for instance can be bought with a Linn Basik tonearm for about £250 add a £50 cart and you have an excellent player of course you do not have the security of a warranty this way. If you want to buy new then it is very hard to look past a Rega Plannar 1 or 3 depending on budget.

GrahamS
19-07-2018, 09:28

Better advice was never given and good advice is only good if it's taken!

julesd68
20-07-2018, 20:19
Absolutely. Just get it done and be happy

I don't think happiness is guaranteed as you can be constantly tempted by upgrades until the only original part you are left with is the motor unit! That can work for some people but not for others ...

Bigman80
20-07-2018, 20:24
I don't think happiness is guaranteed as you can be constantly tempted by upgrades until the only original part you are left with is the motor unit! That can work for some people but not for others ...Agreed but I can only talk from my experience.

alxgill
21-07-2018, 17:27
I have a NAD phono which has a switchable MM/MC
Cheers
Bruce

Hello Bruce,

which Phono stage do you want to use with a £1000 turntable?

Alex

bonus
24-07-2018, 10:58
Thanks all for your contributions.
I will get a long and have a listen to the Technics. I have heard the Rega but not the Project or Concept. Difficult to gauge with days or weeks between but I'll do my best. Sevenoaks have the Technics and Project but there is no store near me (Heathfield, East Sussex) with them all to try and maybe I'm over engineering things a bit.
I just wanted a decent starting point to upgrade in the future. I'm never going to have top end kit but want to spend 4-5k over a period of time.

Alex - I have not even though about the next Phono Stage yet :-/

I'll check out ebay as well.

cheers
Bruce

Bigman80
24-07-2018, 11:17
Thanks all for your contributions.
I will get a long and have a listen to the Technics. I have heard the Rega but not the Project or Concept. Difficult to gauge with days or weeks between but I'll do my best. Sevenoaks have the Technics and Project but there is no store near me (Heathfield, East Sussex) with them all to try and maybe I'm over engineering things a bit.
I just wanted a decent starting point to upgrade in the future. I'm never going to have top end kit but want to spend 4-5k over a period of time.

Alex - I have not even though about the next Phono Stage yet :-/

I'll check out ebay as well.

cheers
BruceHey Bruce,

It can be a difficult journey sometimes, so much advice, usually contradictory but still valid.

The only choice here really, is which one do you "love"

When it's in your home, it will bring the most joy when you love it. All of the aforementioned turntables will be excellent. That's the truth.

I've been down the TT raid and spent a lot of time with Direct drive and Belt drive. For me, DD was my favourite although the TT I recall with the most fondness was an Inspire Quest, which I loved. It just made music.

If you want a Turntable that performance is unquestionably awesome, go for the Techy, if you want to love what you've bought, just hmgo with your heart.

PS, Inspire TTs are VERY good.

Look at this !!!![emoji6]

http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/quest-force-10.html

sbank
25-07-2018, 02:12
Not knowing much about the new Techie, how does it compare to a used or NOS 1200 with a handful of the typically suggested mods so often discussed in the Techiepedia Forum? Does the pricing of the 1210 offer more value? My first thought was a 1200 and some mods, because that would allow him to invest a smaller amount now and have a fairly clear upgrade strategy as funds allow, but perhaps now that the new model is an option the consensus over the last few years in no longer the smart course of action...

BTW, auditions will often cause much frustration. The combo of varying electronics, speakers, rooms and setup expertise will certainly affect what you hear. It's tough drawing meaningful conclusions about the table's contribution to what you hear. IMHE, the Clearaudio tables, even expensive ones, never create the emotional connection to the music that I hope for vs. others of similar cost. But that's me and my 50+ year old left-handed ears. YMMV. Cheers,
Spencer

Bigman80
25-07-2018, 06:29
Not knowing much about the new Techie, how does it compare to a used or NOS 1200 with a handful of the typically suggested mods so often discussed in the Techiepedia Forum? Does the pricing of the 1210 offer more value? My first thought was a 1200 and some mods, because that would allow him to invest a smaller amount now and have a fairly clear upgrade strategy as funds allow, but perhaps now that the new model is an option the consensus over the last few years in no longer the smart course of action...

BTW, auditions will often cause much frustration. The combo of varying electronics, speakers, rooms and setup expertise will certainly affect what you hear. It's tough drawing meaningful conclusions about the table's contribution to what you hear. IMHE, the Clearaudio tables, even expensive ones, never create the emotional connection to the music that I hope for vs. others of similar cost. But that's me and my 50+ year old left-handed ears. YMMV. Cheers,
SpencerThe problem with NOS 1210/1200 and modding it, is, it requires ability. I'm not suggesting the OP doesn't have the ability to remove and replace PCBs etc, just that we didn't establish his technical ability.

The arm on the new technics is superior to the one on the old 1210/1200's, I believe the WOW/FLUTTER numbers are better too.

The new one also hasn't been sat in a box somewhere in unknown conditions.

If the OP is happy to do some modding, then great value can be had in the used market. If not, there's a new one out there for him.

bonus
25-07-2018, 12:44
Sevenoaks have a display model for £1099, £200 off the list. Ill go in to Brighton this weekend and see if I can get a demo, I understand what you mean about confusion over demos etc. I had thought of that. I am OK with mods and great at burning myself with a soldering iron, I used to repair answerphones and fax machines back in the day and I am a technical person; I just know sod all about HiFi... but hopefully that will change :)

sbank
26-07-2018, 02:28
Check out a few threads on the Techiepedia Forum. You'll know pretty soon whether or not the used/mods route is for you or not...I think it's kinda fun just doing the simple stuff even, like changing mats, center clamps, feet etc. and knowing that you've got a table good enough to let you hear all the differences. If you can update capacitors etc. you are playing in the Premier League. :clapclapclap:

Bigman80
26-07-2018, 07:46
The only thing that concerns me about the Techy mods is that it gets VERY expensive.

I'm pretty sure one of the upgrade bearing makers has knocked it on the head too.

By the time you've modded the PSU, bearing and other bits, you may as well have just bought a new one built by the professionals.

Just my two pence worth btw.

Marco has modded his to death and claims performance to challenge the SP10, whilst I dont doubt the claim, it would have been cheaper to buy an SP10, Probably spent the price of a SP10 MK3.

dwhistance
26-07-2018, 08:12
Just to offer a very affordable alternative to the Techie's, etc. how about buying a Lenco GL75 and putting it in a new plinth like the ones currently for sale here or from Moldova on Ebay? Last time I looked they were still very affordable. Add a secondhand tonearm and you have a really good deck for very little money. Then if the urge strikes they are easily, and compared with a Techie, cheaply modified to take them to another level entirely. Just a thought!

David Whistance

walpurgis
26-07-2018, 08:18
How about buying a Toshiba SR-370 and not having to do anything to it?

http://i67.tinypic.com/2gv9bf6.jpg

donmarrese
26-07-2018, 22:35
Just to offer a very affordable alternative to the Techie's, etc. how about buying a Lenco GL75 and putting it in a new plinth like the ones currently for sale here or from Moldova on Ebay? Last time I looked they were still very affordable. Add a secondhand tonearm and you have a really good deck for very little money. Then if the urge strikes they are easily, and compared with a Techie, cheaply modified to take them to another level entirely. Just a thought!

David Whistance

I totally agree, (nothing to do with the fact I have 4 gorgeous L75's ready to be sold...) formidable performance for the price; here's the recipe..

1. Get ur self a birch Ply plinth..(errm..I think I know who's got one of those..ME!)
2. Get yourself a decent a chrome buttoned ex HMV toplate that has been serviced...(I've got one of those too!)
3. Get yourself a Carbon fibre "Fat arm" from Brian28 on Lenco heaven
4. Source a decent Cart like a Denon 103...(MC but works blindingly well with the arm...(I know cos I've got one..)
5. Get Brian28 to assemble it for you..(not expensive BTW)
and you'll have one of these ...

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=28314.0

Simples ...

Bigman80
26-07-2018, 22:40
Must say, I heard Firebottles totally standard Lenco at the Bakeoff recently and it really surprised me. This is a good shout but that arm needs to go, oh and the plinth, oh and the.......[emoji6]

Just kidding.

David Whistance

walpurgis
26-07-2018, 22:45
These days, it's actually nice to see a Lenco that hasn't been 'upgraded'. The standard GL75 and GL78 can sound very nice indeed, fettled and set up well.

(Oh yes, and the same applies to the original Thorens TD160 with TP16 arm, also very capable)

donmarrese
26-07-2018, 23:13
Must say, I heard Firebottles totally standard Lenco at the Bakeoff recently and it really surprised me..
:clapclapclap:

bonus
31-07-2018, 14:30
Thank you everyone for your ideas and advice, there is much food for thought. I have yet to hear the Technics and hopefully I will do at the weekend before making a decision. At the moment it looks like the P6. Building something sounds fun but realistically its not the right time for me, perhaps a future product :)

Nobru
31-07-2018, 20:50
The Lenco is a terrific route if you are into tweaking, but also a very worthy performer in its stock configuration. I love the idler, but you must enjoy the fiddling that comes with it.
I believe the Technics is the better one in your situation, plus it is a very ergonomic player, a joy to manipulate and the feel of a professional tool.
Furthermore you'd be set with a device not likely to loose its value, contrary to others mentioned above.

bonus
13-08-2018, 18:35
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, comments advice and opinions.
I was going over budget quite a bit and considering all aspects, I decided on the RP6 with the Exact cart. I got a good deal and have paired it with the Rega Elex-R amplifier.

Bigman, I did seriously think about the Techie but your "go with the heart" made me choose the Rega :)

Thanks again.

Until the next dilemma...

Jac Hawk
13-08-2018, 19:28
The Rega is a very good deck you won't be disappointed Bruce

Kvaal
13-08-2018, 20:07
Now you have the opportunity to try the Technics 270c cartridge (which was standard on your old bd20) on you your new tt. You won't be disappointed.

Idlewithnodrive
13-08-2018, 20:21
I was going over budget quite a bit and considering all aspects, I decided on the RP6 with the Exact cart. I got a good deal and have paired it with the Rega Elex-R amplifier.

Bigman, I did seriously think about the Techie but your "go with the heart" made me choose the Rega :)

Thanks again.

You've made the right decision.

The RP6 is a VERY capable TT and when you add in the fact that it is the deck you actually WANTED, then it is all win :thumbsup:

Bigman80
13-08-2018, 20:23

Thanks again.

Until the next dilemma...As long as you are happy, you made the right choice. Congratulations on the purchase and enjoy yourself listening.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Ian7633
13-08-2018, 20:51
How about buying a Toshiba SR-370 and not having to do anything to it?

http://i67.tinypic.com/2gv9bf6.jpg

I have one without an arm if anyone's interested

hifi_dave
14-08-2018, 10:53

Thanks again.

Is that a P6 or the older RP6 ?

bonus
14-08-2018, 11:13
Sorry, I meant the P6.

Bigman80
14-08-2018, 12:10
So.! Where are the pics of the new Turntable???????

Come on!

bonus
15-08-2018, 14:23
I have to wait until it arrives tomorrow :)

Bigman80
15-08-2018, 14:31
I have to wait until it arrives tomorrow :)[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] fair enough, I'll accept that answer