PDA

View Full Version : Bored..... So I shot my turntable [emoji6]

mikeyb
09-07-2018, 21:41
With my phone [emoji23]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180709/d95af969701e0ab7462a917c002da239.jpg

walpurgis
09-07-2018, 21:43
:D

RobbieGong
09-07-2018, 21:50
Well I shot the Sheriff (but I didnt shoot no deputy !) ;)

Bigman80
09-07-2018, 23:01
Really nice shot. How's the Kb doing?

Ian7633
09-07-2018, 23:03
You've done it now, I'd forgotten about the blue rope lights I've got laying around. I feel a silly session coming on

mikmas
10-07-2018, 00:49
.... cool lighting ;)

Svend N
10-07-2018, 02:55
For a moment I had visions of a platter launched from a clay pigeon thrower, double barrel discharge with no. 2 buckshot :mental:

Jimbo
10-07-2018, 05:49
Looking good Mike, are you enjoying the Kb?

mikeyb
10-07-2018, 06:47
Re: Clay pigeons , many a time I could quite easily have done that with all of my hifi lol.

It was the way the TT was lit up that caught my eye, hence the photo.

The Kontrapunkt is sounding very good, I知 getting a bit too much bass at times but I知 preferring the top end to the Zyx which at times could just have a little edge on it, my ears are very sensitive to this unfortunately which is why I couldn稚 use a couple of SS pre amps I致e tried.

As regards the bass, I知 waiting on new crossovers and I will be tweaking my Tannoys a little with extra bracing and deadening once the crossovers arrive. This should help a bit, if not then I値l be looking for a new cartridge [emoji23]

I might try the speakers back up on stands again because it reduced to bass too much last time and made that edge more apparent, tweeter height possibly made the edge more noticeable, but with the Kb it might just be right.

I値l need to dig out my plastic stools again and try it tonight after work.

Mind you I知 only using the Xiang Sheng DAC as a pre so that痴 maybe adding a bit of something in the mix, new valve arrives for it today, I値l know after work if that improves anything.

I see you can even roll the opamps in it, I知 even tempted at trying that too, Bryson v5, v6 etc.

The new gain and driver valves in my Primaluna have improved the power amp somewhat too, another reason my bass might be increased.

Firebottle
10-07-2018, 07:51
The Xiang Sheng will be holding the sound back a bit, particularly if you are used the valve output. The coupling caps are only polyester, these can be improved on.

I thought you had inquired about a better valve pre?

mikeyb
10-07-2018, 09:21
The Xiang Sheng will be holding the sound back a bit, particularly if you are used the valve output. The coupling caps are only polyester, these can be improved on.

I thought you had inquired about a better valve pre?Yeah I figured that, hence my search for better, however for the money it's not doing too badly [emoji6]

So far I've tried the Satchmo, the Primaluna Dialogue Premium, Promitheus TVC, Tisbury, BTE Passive. Ok I would love the Primaluna but even used your talking over 2 grand, a sum I'm not prepared to pay.

So the search continues.

I fancy trying a Croft (again)

Thing is I've sold most of the amps that would now be worth trying with the Tannoys, and in the case of the TQ Claymore I've no chance of buying another of those to try, I only ever tried it as a Pre, DOH!

Still, you live and learn, just wish it was a cheaper lesson lol.

Bigman80
10-07-2018, 10:02
Yeah I figured that, hence my search for better, however for the money it's not doing too badly [emoji6]

So far I've tried the Satchmo, the Primaluna Dialogue Premium, Promitheus TVC, Tisbury, BTE Passive. Ok I would love the Primaluna but even used your talking over 2 grand, a sum I'm not prepared to pay.

So the search continues.

I fancy trying a Croft (again)

Thing is I've sold most of the amps that would now be worth trying with the Tannoys, and in the case of the TQ Claymore I've no chance of buying another of those to try, I only ever tried it as a Pre, DOH!

Still, you live and learn, just wish it was a cheaper lesson lol.I was using the XiangSheng as a pre recently too. I found it flattened the image a fair bit but other than that it does a good job. When you factor the cost in, it's quite a remarkable bit of kit.

I'm told by two "The Truth" owners that they are phenomenal. I have been offered a loan of one but haven't managed to sort it out yet.

That might be the answer for you, not sure.

mikeyb
10-07-2018, 12:01
I was using the XiangSheng as a pre recently too. I found it flattened the image a fair bit but other than that it does a good job. When you factor the cost in, it's quite a remarkable bit of kit.

I'm told by two "The Truth" owners that they are phenomenal. I have been offered a loan of one but haven't managed to sort it out yet.

That might be the answer for you, not sure.The Truth has been on my radar for a while, I was in contact with the maker last year, but without hearing one I was reluctant to buy blind.

I'm of the same opinion with the Xiang, a bit one dimensional but when I sit in my living room chair about 9m away it's fine, it's shortcomings are more oblivious in my other seat in the hifi part of the room at 4m away.

But for under a 100 quid [emoji6]

Lurch
10-07-2018, 15:57
Where abouts are you based Mikey? If it's not to far from the South Coast I'd be happy to bring my MasterSound PHL5 over for you to have a listen to. Not that many about but they are phenomenal bits of kit.

Firebottle
10-07-2018, 17:50
Ha ha that has made me laugh.

If you look at his details on the top right you will see he is in Kirkcaldy in Scotland.

mikeyb
10-07-2018, 18:41
Where abouts are you based Mikey? If it's not to far from the South Coast I'd be happy to bring my MasterSound PHL5 over for you to have a listen to. Not that many about but they are phenomenal bits of kit.Just about as far away as you could get I'm afraid.

I'm in no rush as I'm going to wait on my new crossovers for my speakers to arrive and be fitted before I decide which Pre to go for, reasonably happy with the Xiang for just now.