PDA

View Full Version : Original WAD 300B-PP

Mike
31-03-2010, 19:54
I don't really want to sell this... but needs must! I'm trying to scrape together enough cash to build another two 'clones' of the same thing in monoblock form!

Some pictures first, they're not the best in the world (unlike the amp ;)) but they're all I've got...

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4421/dscf0020yh.jpg
By shian7 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/shian7) at 2010-03-26

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4208/p1014603.jpg
By shian7 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/shian7), shot with u30D,S410D,u410D (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=u30D%2CS410D%2Cu410D&make=OLYMPUS+CORPORATION) at 2010-02-11

There are a few mods...

1. Russian (ex military) Teflon coupling caps - Very very good!

2. Feedback removed - The switch is still fitted, so easy to put back. No idea why anyone would though, it ruins the sound, but I'm happy to reconnect on request.

3. R12/R13 changed to 1.5K - Gives the 300B's an easier time, no 'red spots'. Easy to reverse, just replace the parallel 6K8 resistors. I'd be happy to do this on request.

4. Front power switch (still fitted) disconnected. I found a small reduction in hum and prefer powering on/off at the socket anyway. - Again, very easy to reverse, and again, I'm happy to do this on request.

The 6072 & 5687 have just been replaced with NOS GE valves and are still burning in. The EH300B's have around 200Hrs (gross over estimate, but better to be conservative!)use and have absolutely tons of life left, to my ears they too are still improving. All the electrolytic caps have very recently been replaced with good quality Evox-Rifa's too. See HERE (http://www.wduk.worldomain.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5457) for more info. I don't really know what else to say!... Feel free to ask questions.

Looking for £750 ovno collected.

It could be shipped as I have the box for it, but not recommended. It weighs plenty, and some years ago my first WD88VA arrived mullered! http://theartofsound.net/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

Cheers,
Mike.

PS. I forgot to mention the ultra fast soft recovery diodes and PTFE insulated silver plated copper wiring!

Mike
01-04-2010, 15:55
Free chocolate egg if anyone buys it this weekend! :D

Ali Tait
01-04-2010, 16:59
Anyone looking for a valve amp should snap this up.It is absolutely superb!

DSJR
01-04-2010, 17:44
I wish... Looks beautifully made too....

Ali Tait
01-04-2010, 17:50
This was the most no-compromise circuit WAD came out with.It is a top-flight amp in every sense.Don't let the fact it's a DIY amp put you off,you'd have to spend many times the asking price to even equal it.

Mike
01-04-2010, 21:18
Cheers, Ali.

It is a seriously good amplifier! I'm only offering it for sale because I have the chance to buy two more still in kit form which can be built into monoblocks kicking out close to 60W apiece! :fingers:

I've got my name on one of them at the moment, but if I can't raise enough to buy two before the other gets snapped up I'll just keep this one. And continue to be very, very happy with it! :)

Ian Walker
01-04-2010, 22:02
Is this the same as the one we heard at Al's Chester fest Mike?.

Mike
01-04-2010, 22:21
Is this the same as the one we heard at Al's Chester fest Mike?.

Hi Ian,

More or less, the one at the Chester do was Tony Moore's 'clone' of one of these and was the best thing I heard all day! I've been after one ever since! :)

Ali Tait
01-04-2010, 22:29
And you got one! Now you're just bein greedy wanting two blingy ones!! (Don't blame you really,I'd do the same!)

Mike
01-04-2010, 23:12
Now you're just bein greedy wanting two

s'true.... :whistle:

mmar
01-04-2010, 23:14
mike can this be converted to run as a an intergrated amp , sods law this comes up just purchased a very nice sounding wad 6550 amp but single ended was my intial preference if the 300b can be made into a single input intergrated then i will look to re - add the 6550 for a quick sale and hopefully have this off you !

mick

Mike
01-04-2010, 23:54
Hi Mick,

It would be a very simple job to fit a volume control! In fact the build instructions suggest it should be used with just a passive pre due to the very sensitive input. I just use it with a volume pot mounted in a simple external box at the moment, but there's no reason why the pot couldn't be fitted to the front of the amps case. Dead easy! :)

Just one point though... it's a push-pull rather than single ended. But to be honest, I prefer it to quite a few SE amps I've heard. That's the magic of 300B's for ya! ;)

Mike
02-04-2010, 00:05
Incidentally... it completely murdered the Melody Astro that it replaced! :trust:

Ian Walker
02-04-2010, 08:36
Hi Ian,

More or less, the one at the Chester do was Tony Moore's 'clone' of one of these and was the best thing I heard all day! I've been after one ever since! :)

Me too Mike,i think that and Dave hewitts MR PLANK stole the show:)

Ian.

mmar
02-04-2010, 09:59
cheers mike , yep the astro looked pritty but agree not the best amp around the wad 6550 i have is also alot better and if im tottaly honest i prefered the cheaper melody sp-3 over the astro , anyway mate 300 b ,s are one of the few tubes i have yet to own so the amp really does interest me ill put the feelers out on the wad 6550 to see if i can move it quickly , by the way the build quality of the 300b looks awasome !

mick , ps are those your super tweeters on wigwam

Mike
02-04-2010, 12:46
ps are those your super tweeters on wigwam

Nope.... I've never owned any.

Mike
02-04-2010, 12:50
ill put the feelers out on the wad 6550 to see if i can move it quickly

Try HERE (http://www.wduk.worldomain.net/forum/index.php), Mick.

Mike
02-04-2010, 17:31
Forgot to mention, I'm happy to deliver this within reason for fuel costs. Though I really would prefer the buyer to come and audition and make sure they're happy with it. :)

Cheers...

leo
02-04-2010, 17:52
I've heard quite a few flavours of these amps , last time was at my friend Richards house (one of the mods on WD forum), they are seriously very nice :eek:

Good luck Mike, who ever buys this will be very happy!

Mike
02-04-2010, 18:39
I've heard quite a few flavours of these amps , last time was at my friend Richards house (one of the mods on WD forum), they are seriously very nice :eek:

Good luck Mike, who ever buys this will be very happy!

Rich is a top bloke (as indeed is Greg), both have given me quite a lot of help with this amp, Leo. Give him my regards next time you see him. :)

Ali Tait
02-04-2010, 19:19
Yeah me too.Didn't know you knew Rich Leo.Top bloke.

NRG
03-04-2010, 00:13
I had a second one of these at one time to do the same as you Mike, you can bridge them using the 16ohm taps to get 60w / channel but its not class A. I also tried straight biamping but the sound never gelled for me, it always sounded as if the two amps where fighting each other...the increased output is great for volume but I found on acoustic material subtle detail and ambience was missing I always preferred a single amp to either bridged or biamp... YMMV though and its a great experiment. I sold the second amp to Richard and he extensively modded it and found a number of faults that may have been part of the problems I had. Good luck with the sale!

leo
03-04-2010, 00:35
Rich is a top bloke (as indeed is Greg), both have given me quite a lot of help with this amp, Leo. Give him my regards next time you see him. :)

Yes, met some great guys from that forum , been quite an honour tbh, a few of them are members over here too;)

I'll be sure to give Rich your regards next time I see him

leo
03-04-2010, 00:41
Yeah me too.Didn't know you knew Rich Leo.Top bloke.

You get to make a lot of friends in this hobby, even better when some don't live too far away:)

leo
03-04-2010, 00:47
I had a second one of these at one time to do the same as you Mike, you can bridge them using the 16ohm taps to get 60w / channel but its not class A. I also tried straight biamping but the sound never gelled for me, it always sounded as if the two amps where fighting each other...the increased output is great for volume but I found on acoustic material subtle detail and ambience was missing I always preferred a single amp to either bridged or biamp... YMMV though and its a great experiment. I sold the second amp to Richard and he extensively modded it and found a number of faults that may have been part of the problems I had. Good luck with the sale!

I'm sure the first one I ever heard was yours Neal (before Richard had his) I think we all agreed it was the best sounding amp on the day.

Anyway, enough thread drifting :o

Mike
03-04-2010, 09:47

Hi Neil,

Sounds like I'm following in your footsteps! :)

I've been worrying about them not being quite the same creature in bridged form, but consoling myself with the fact I could move one on at a later date if it doesn't work out.

It's an itch that needs scratching though... ;)

Cheers...

Mike
03-04-2010, 10:35
*SOLD*

Just need to sort out delivery... Thanks for looking.

Ali Tait
03-04-2010, 10:40
Mike,see my PM on t'other place

Mike
03-04-2010, 10:53
Mike,see my PM on t'other place

Done and replied to! :)