PDA

View Full Version : Art Audio Quintet in Triode mode

donmarrese
08-07-2018, 22:55
Whilst the SD ones are being renovated, I need some advice on the art audio quintet I have which at the moment has an issue with blowing an EL34. It's unmodified... But I had a chat with Tom at Art Audio and he recommends transforming this particular valve amp into triode mode... My thoughts are while I'm getting it repaired I may as well go for the upgrade...
Problem is Nottingham is a hike for me...
Has anyone got any experience of turning this amplifier to triode mode and is there anyone in the surrounding London area or south east of England that could perform this conversion?
Your thoughts appreciated

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Haselsh1
09-07-2018, 07:38
Sorry Don as I have no experience with that particular amplifier but I can say that it doesn't suit all valve amps so move forward with caution.

Sherwood
09-07-2018, 07:47
Don,

I have an Art Audio Quintet that I bought from Tom about 25 years ago. It has been in storage for much of that time as I was working in tropical climes. However, I recently took it over to Tom to get it serviced (he lives not far from me in Nottinghamshire).

First, I wonder if you have misunderstood Tom about an upgrade. If like mine, your is an older model it is already switchable between triode and pentode mode. There will be two dials on the rear which select between the two modes. No upgrade is required for this. My own experience is that triode mode (15w) is far sweeter with superior imaging and detail, and more revealing of the recording acoustic than pentode mode (25w). Pentode mode comes into its own with less efficient speakers. I have run the Quintet in triode mode at more than adequate levels with my Rogers LS3/5a speakers and Reference 3a de Capos, to name but two designs.

It may be that your model does not have the switching option but I wonder if Tom was suggesting that you run the Quintet in triode mode, rather than "upgrading" per se. When, I bought my Quintet over to Tom, he replaced some older components, upgraded some caps, and checked everything out. The work was done quickly, and was reasonably priced too. If your model does not have the pentode mode, I would advise you to get it but only if your speakers are efficient enough. It really is a significant improvement over pentode mode.

Geoff

donmarrese
09-07-2018, 08:05
Morning guys thank you for your input especially Geoff ..I will have a closer look at this as obviously I didn't do much research when I bought it... .Tom assured me that if I was to buy the same amplifier today we would be looking at 4k!
I think I'll need to make that hike...
There's a fine line between getting someone to do a repair or taking it to its maker..
All my Croft kit has always gone back to Glen..smaller more compact chassis..easier to send. it's about peace of mind as well.
Thanks for your input.

Sherwood
09-07-2018, 08:14
Morning guys thank you for your input especially Geoff ..I will have a closer look at this as obviously I didn't do much research when I bought it... .Tom assured me that if I was to buy the same amplifier today we would be looking at 4k!
I think I'll need to make that hike...
There's a fine line between getting someone to do a repair or taking it to its maker..
All my Croft kit has always gone back to Glen..smaller more compact chassis..easier to send. it's about peace of mind as well.
Thanks for your input.

What speakers are you using?

Geoff

donmarrese
09-07-2018, 08:27
I was looking to use the SD Acpustics SD1, currently refoaming, or a pair of Tannoy SGM 12's...

Dr Henry Jones
12-07-2018, 17:56
Whilst the SD ones are being renovated, I need some advice on the art audio quintet I have which at the moment has an issue with blowing an EL34. It's unmodified... But I had a chat with Tom at Art Audio and he recommends transforming this particular valve amp into triode mode... My thoughts are while I'm getting it repaired I may as well go for the upgrade...
Problem is Nottingham is a hike for me...
Has anyone got any experience of turning this amplifier to triode mode and is there anyone in the surrounding London area or south east of England that could perform this conversion?
Your thoughts appreciated

You should have a switch on either side at the back of the amp, they are rotary switches and take the amp from pentode to try one there Iis another switch that'srroughly in between ......that's not anything to do with the two I am talking about, now back to the two switches I was talking about. ....... which ever way they are set. .....turn them the other way and you will be in triode. Cheers steve

Sherwood
12-07-2018, 20:55
You should have a switch on either side at the back of the amp, they are rotary switches and take the amp from pentode to try one there Iis another switch that'srroughly in between ......that's not anything to do with the two I am talking about, now back to the two switches I was talking about. ....... which ever way they are set. .....turn them the other way and you will be in triode. Cheers steve

This pic is on the web. https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=2048&bih=1046&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=pr9HW53lCc6kwQKluZ6IDQ&q=art+audio+quintet&oq=art+audio+quintet&gs_l=img.3..35i39k1l2j0i24k1l3.3996.5605.0.6129.4. 4.0.0.0.0.63.216.4.4.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.3.168 ...0i30k1.0.QAIFlMiS5J8#imgrc=lNm0AGbOVYgSnM:

Same as my AAQ. The other rotary is to adjust feedback levels.

Geoff

donmarrese
12-07-2018, 21:42
Well, here's an update...
Here are the dials ur talking..thanks for that.
http://i66.tinypic.com/209qao8.jpg

Decided to take cover off, and have a peek...
http://i68.tinypic.com/wmfct4.jpg

But something don't look right..
http://i64.tinypic.com/sc71oy.jpg

and more ..Blue cap to the right don't look healthy...
http://i63.tinypic.com/2ujmuzp.jpg

And this is the icing on the cake!
http://i68.tinypic.com/2zozw4p.jpg

So it means a definite trip to Mr Tom Art Audio...

Sherwood
12-07-2018, 21:53
Well, here's an update...
Here are the dials ur talking..thanks for that.
http://i66.tinypic.com/209qao8.jpg

Decided to take cover off, and have a peek...
http://i68.tinypic.com/wmfct4.jpg

But something don't look right..
http://i64.tinypic.com/sc71oy.jpg

and more ..Blue cap to the right don't look healthy...
http://i63.tinypic.com/2ujmuzp.jpg

And this is the icing on the cake!
http://i68.tinypic.com/2zozw4p.jpg

So it means a definite trip to Mr Tom Art Audio...

Yes, definitely get it to Tom. However, you already have triode switching. Just use the alternate position on the two rotary dials at each end of the amp.

Geoff

donmarrese
12-07-2018, 22:16
Thanks Geoff..
BTW, a great piece of free software...
https://www.techsmith.com/jing-tool.html

allows you to capture pics and edit with dialogue..V. useful!

Mike Adams
24-07-2018, 21:18
Ive had various Art Audio amps including a quintet.
Not all have the switch....but it isn't a huge amount of work to change either way.
From what I understand the newer versions run cooler and if you've not had it serviced in 5+ years Id suggest it would be worth doing so.
I had my Concerto changed from Pentode to Triode which gave better clarity and some sweetness in my set up.
Equally my brother had his quintet changed from Triode to Pentode. His is an integrated and he was somewhat short of gain so the extra watts meant that his has more authority throughout the range...
Id suggest Tom would advise as appropriate

montesquieu
24-07-2018, 22:00
Well I've never had an Art Audio but on other amps including Jadis where switching/conversion was possible (either KT88 or EL34 amps) I've personally found that while triode mode can add sweetness, it typically took away the oomph at the bottom end ... for me the ultralinear or pentode option was always better.

YMVV of course but personally I think amps that use pentode/beam tetrode tubes are (for the most part, unless they have special transformers explicitly designed/intended for the purpose) better run in ultralinear or pentode rather than triode. Indeed most switchable amps have in the main disappointed from my perspective.

If you really want triodes I would suggest going for a triode amp, I had great results with a Puresound 2A3 which got 18w from 2A3s run in PP AB mode and was surprisingly good. You'd be lucky to get 15w from EL34s triode strapped and none of the DHT juicyness.

Sherwood
25-07-2018, 06:04
Having had an Art Audio Quintet for over 25 years I would make two points. First, triode mode is where the magic is. Second, one cannot predict which speakers will work in triode mode and it is pointless to generalise from other amps.

When I bought the Quintet I had the taps set to 16 ohms for my nominally 15 ohm Rogers LS3/5a speakers. I listen to music at quite high volume levels and with a Croft preamp, never felt the combo lacked power. In fact, the synergy between amp and speakers was (near) perfect.

More recently, I took the opportunity of a service visit to Tom Willis to have the amp settings changed to 8 ohms to better match my current speakers. The Quintet proved to be a superb match to my Reference 3a de Capo speakers. Admittedly, this is an efficient speaker with no-crossover to ap power, but in triode mode there was no shortage of power and excellent bass quality and extension.

My advice is to treat triode mode as the default mode and only abandon it if your speakers present too demanding a load.

Geoff

Haselsh1
25-07-2018, 06:50
Well I've never had an Art Audio but on other amps including Jadis where switching/conversion was possible (either KT88 or EL34 amps) I've personally found that while triode mode can add sweetness, it typically took away the oomph at the bottom end ... for me the ultralinear or pentode option was always better.

YMVV of course but personally I think amps that use pentode/beam tetrode tubes are (for the most part, unless they have special transformers explicitly designed/intended for the purpose) better run in ultralinear or pentode rather than triode. Indeed most switchable amps have in the main disappointed from my perspective.

If you really want triodes I would suggest going for a triode amp, I had great results with a Puresound 2A3 which got 18w from 2A3s run in PP AB mode and was surprisingly good. You'd be lucky to get 15w from EL34s triode strapped and none of the DHT juicyness.

Yep, your findings pretty much mirror my own. I have always found ultralinear operation way more dynamic and forceful which suits most of my music.

montesquieu
25-07-2018, 23:20
My advice is to treat triode mode as the default mode and only abandon it if your speakers present too demanding a load.

It may well be that the Art Audio amps are designed primarily for triode strapping in which case I guess the transformers would be specced accordingly. I was just reporting that my past experiences with switchable amps has always resulted in me preferring ultralinear or pentode.

It's pretty rare speakers though that can really sing consistently across the full frequency range and with all types of music on 15w max output.

donmarrese
26-07-2018, 01:14
Title meant to Read "A bit like Marmite" hicup!

Yes, I can see both point of views, although how many amps out there have a switch for Triode operation.. not many!

Just to put the spanner in the works,,,we've all had some regrets in our pasts, and my one was selling a pair of Leak TL50's converted to triode mode,,,
I bought the pair in 1995....and they needed a service as they weren't well. At the time. GT Audio was the knight in shining Armour in the Valve world,,,,and on the recommendation of the holy scriptures in those days (HiFi World) he was the man who could.

Unfortunately after throwing copious amounts of money at them plus 2 new output transformers plus 5 months later... Graham couldn't fix them! He gave up...

At the same time, there was a gentleman based in Leytonstone who also advertised in HiFi World winding Transformers to spec. I gave him a call, told him my woes....he said "bring them down and i'll see what I can do."

3 weeks later, i got a call, "Come on down and have a listen"
He had converted the KT88 TL50's into Triode mode.

I was blown away...I cannot emphasize how majestic these amplifiers sounded...and have never experience such a feeling since (still chasing that dragon, like most of us in the HiFi fraternity,,,)

I was really blessed...I was in possession of a formidable setup...Spendor BC3's Reworked Croft Epoch to Elite With a chrome front from Glenn... Martin Bastin plinth plus a NOS Garrard 401 RB300 plus Notts Analogue Cart plus 110v supply,,,I was in heaven! My 30 year old ears were embracing the musical fruits of Angels, I was that close to God!

But it ended the day I had to sell most of my precious kit to fund laminate (German Gloss mahogany) flooring for our new house in 2000,,,there was no way out, Mum Dad Bank said No, the amps had to go! The buyer came all the way from the Isle of Wight to London, I never forgot his Cheshire cat grin through the audition. I;m sure he is still smiling!

Life has never been the same since, "the drugs didn't work," counselling failed .....but every morning, I wake up and stare at my polished Laminate flooring. and sometimes, not all the time, I sure I can see distant reflections of warm golden GEC KT88's lighting up my face,,,,

iscm
14-01-2019, 00:31
I would have to agree with Tom (montesquieu) and say that the Art Audio amps are designed primarily for triode strapping.
Strangely enough, I even find the bass to be better in triode mode.

I bought mine last year and the more I listen, the more I am certain that I made the correct choice.
They even drive my B&W DM70's to reasonable levels.

Don, if you are still checking this thread, did you sort out your Art Audio's?
I have spoken to Tom from Art Audio and found him to be a great help.
In the near future I hope to send mine in for a service.

Ian

donmarrese
28-04-2019, 10:20
Don, if you are still checking this thread, did you sort out your Art Audio's?
I have spoken to Tom from Art Audio and found him to be a great help.
In the near future I hope to send mine in for a service.

Ian

Hi Ian
yes the beast went back to Tom, and he sorted it out pretty quickly. Looks like a faulty Valve caused overheating of wires...Transformers are in perfect order, and on recommendation, I purchased a set of his sourced and matched EL34's. The amp is now back up and running, in fixed Triode mode. Tom removed the switch, although giving me the choice, I preferred less circuit and a Triode sound.

I'm pleased with the results, but earlier last month, I went a bit potty on buying a load of GL75's to renovate, so I'm having to sell the Quintet on to raise some cash (on the bay at the mo)...and I already have a 4 valve amps in the wings staring at me waiting to be used...so surplus to stock...haven't got round to putting up on here..

Don