PDA

View Full Version : New mat for my technics

colinB
30-03-2010, 19:33
Just recieved my sound hi fi mat and have been testing it this evening.
Ive been using a double mat set up, a sds with archomat and despite being a doubter this is much better. Could rant on about better seperation and smoother sound blah blah but without wishing to bore you this just sounds right.
Thanks to Marco for encouraging me to buy it:)

Tarzan
30-03-2010, 20:53
Glad you like your purchase-how does it sound?

colinB
30-03-2010, 21:10
Im a bit surprised to be honest. What i was expecting was a less harsh sound. Its a lot smoother and easier to listen to but there is also significant clarity which i didnt expect,greater instrument seperation and a more holographic soundstage.
Ive bought mods before ( a russ andrews unswitched socket comes to mind) and ive thought why did i bother but the mat does feel like a real synergy with the deck and ill look forward to further experimentation in the future.

Marco
30-03-2010, 22:22
Just recieved my sound hi fi mat and have been testing it this evening.
Ive been using a double mat set up, a sds with archomat and despite being a doubter this is much better. Could rant on about better seperation and smoother sound blah blah but without wishing to bore you this just sounds right.
Thanks to Marco for encouraging me to buy it:)

Hi Colin,

Glad it worked out, mate - I thought it would! Enjoy.... :cool:

Marco.

colinB
30-03-2010, 22:32
Now i have a nice flush and flat mat, whats the general concensus on weights/clamps an a technics deck? With or without? And if with how many grams. I imagine the beast could take a lump of lead and not even flinch.

Marco
30-03-2010, 22:42
I think with is sensible. I like these:

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/puck.html

Martin T uses one on his 1210 and they're excellent :)

Marco.

colinB
30-03-2010, 22:50
Funny, Dave Cawley was using one of those on Sunday.
Some dude is selling black ones on e bay for £23. They look great.

Rare Bird
30-03-2010, 23:11
I think with is sensible. I like these:

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/puck.html

Marco.

THought you might have opted for the KAB

http://www.needledoctor.com/KAB-Record-Grip-MKII;jsessionid=0a010c551f433b5c766da816401a942ed4 e3f4b41b25.e3eSc38RbhuLe34Pa38Ta38Mchn0?sc=2&category=421

The Vinyl Adventure
30-03-2010, 23:18
I got one too... Less boomy bass!

Dave Cawley
31-03-2010, 06:52
The one I had at the show was in black chrome that matches the Jelco 750 arm. Vain or what?

Dave

colinB
31-03-2010, 07:52
Looked great. 1920s Bauhaus i thought.

Marco
31-03-2010, 08:53
The one I had at the show was in black chrome that matches the Jelco 750 arm. Vain or what?

Nothing wrong with attention to detail :)

Did you have a word with Mr Price at the show regarding you-know-what? I'm struggling to get hold of him.

Marco.

Dave Cawley
31-03-2010, 09:53
No, just leave a message on his phone, he always rings back!

Dave

The Vinyl Adventure
31-03-2010, 12:11

Dave

Ah, see I got the silver one and then did think I would have prefered it in black, but then I realised that it complemented the sliver buttons and controls on my black deck ... And it will do the same on my deck when it's blue too is your deck silver dave?
I think I have been spending to much time with hannah!

jandl100
01-04-2010, 06:55
Hmmm .. interesting.

Is the concensus that a record weight is a good thing?

I tried one (a cheapo) that I happened to have lying around when my Techie arrived, and that made the sound decidedly worse - sat on and closed in. Not good.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF5528.jpg

I guess you have to get the right LP clamp ... but why is that? Mass is mass, yeah I know that's simplistic! ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
01-04-2010, 07:18
I'm pretty certain that it has been previously agreed that heavy weights do sit on the sound but that the one in question at 300g (I think) is about right to tame boomy bass without having any affect on anything else... I got mine of peter stockwell who said it sat on the sound on his deck but although he also has a herbies mat he has a much thinker one and i think we came to the conclusion thy it was probaly that that caused the difference... I swear I have said this about 5 times now... I even said it in your first techie thread jerry!! Nearly 3000 posts and even the ones where I have got something useful to say it passes people by .... What a waste of my life :doh:;)

DSJR
01-04-2010, 07:24
Don't worry Hamish. I was lamenting this too and even removed a post of mine because what I thought was contributary was ignored.

People read what they want to read and don't always like alternative views, even me :D

:peace:

:respect:

The Vinyl Adventure
01-04-2010, 07:35
Ha!
I'm gonna see if I can dig out the other times that I said the same thing, I have said it so many times it's almost a script in my head... The other day, despite having said it so many times, marco said "yeah martin uses one of those too" and posted the same bloody link that i posted about the thing a while ago when I was saying about it...I'm pretty certain it was also ignored when I originally said I had had success with one in my old lounge where boomy bass from the tt was a problem... I'm not bothered at all, I think it's quite funny really - I take a great deal from this site and try and put a little back in where my experience actually adds up to something and it's not read anyway ... Maybe I should just stop at 3000 :( ... ... ;)

SteveW
01-04-2010, 07:50
Trouble is, if I go away for a day or two, you come back and its so easy to have missed whole threads, topics etc
Wish someone could piece together a "greatest hits' thread for all the best advice !!
Yours
The eternal optimist.

SteveW
01-04-2010, 07:50
Trouble is, if I go away for a day or two, you come back and its so easy to have missed whole threads, topics etc
Wish someone could piece together a "greatest hits' thread for all the best advice !!
Yours
The eternal optimist.

SteveW
01-04-2010, 07:53
Oh bugger...there's another odd thing. After 'sending' a post, it seems to just 'hang'. So I hit send again and I get two post. Then I can't delete it.
Its gonna be one of those days.

The Grand Wazoo
01-04-2010, 08:01
A lot of this comes from when your post appears as the last one on a page & people are posting thick & fast.

A greatest hits thread should be something for the library where it can't be 'infected' by chat or drift.

MartinT
01-04-2010, 08:17
Its a lot smoother and easier to listen to but there is also significant clarity which i didnt expect,greater instrument seperation and a more holographic soundstage.

My findings too. It's surprising what difference a mat can make.

MartinT
01-04-2010, 08:22

Yep, I bought the Bruil from the man himself and it's a nice record weight, does the job well by tightening up the bass a little without messing up the rest of the spectrum.

MartinT
01-04-2010, 08:28
The other day, despite having said it so many times, marco said "yeah martin uses one of those too" and posted the same bloody link that i posted about the thing a while ago when I was saying about it

Don't worry about it Hamish, when I first posted about the Bruil weight ages ago it was ignored and I forgot about it. I found it by researching the net and taking a punt on it, didn't think anyone else on AoS was using one :)

Marco
01-04-2010, 09:11
Hi Steve,

Yours
The eternal optimist.

That's the trouble I guess with AOS being a busy, fast-moving, (and thus) successful forum! ;)

I take your point though, although compiling a "greatest hits thread for all the best advice" would be entirely subjective :)

Marco.

colinB
01-04-2010, 18:38
Can you close the lid with the Bruil in place? If not i might wait and buy the clearlight RDC puck. Its normally £90 but Audio seduction sell them for £70. It sits low is 340gm and some people rave about them.

MartinT
01-04-2010, 20:47
Can you close the lid with the Bruil in place?

No. But then, why would you want to?

Stratmangler
02-04-2010, 00:23
Can you close the lid with the Bruil in place? If not i might wait and buy the clearlight RDC puck. Its normally £90 but Audio seduction sell them for £70. It sits low is 340gm and some people rave about them.

My experiences with suspended turntables over the years tell me to remove the dust cover from the deck when playing records.
Can't comment on the Technics, as I've never had one to try it on.

REM
02-04-2010, 07:38
My experiences with suspended turntables over the years tell me to remove the dust cover from the deck when playing records.
Can't comment on the Technics, as I've never had one to try it on.

I can comment and the Technics sounds stupidly better without the lid:).

Stratmangler
02-04-2010, 07:44
I can comment and the Technics sounds stupidly better without the lid:).

I had my suspicions that it might ;)

jandl100
02-04-2010, 09:18
I'm pretty certain that it has been previously agreed that heavy weights do sit on the sound but that the one in question at 300g (I think) is about right to tame boomy bass without having any affect on anything else...

and

I just weighed my cheap Alchemist puck (see post #15) - a mere 250g ... and it still sits on the sound! - much better without it, to my ears. :scratch:

Can puck construction affect things? Maybe differing resonant behaviours, or some such?

jandl100
02-04-2010, 09:23
... I swear I have said this about 5 times now... I even said it in your first techie thread jerry!! Nearly 3000 posts and even the ones where I have got something useful to say it passes people by .... What a waste of my life :doh:;)

Sorry, Hamish.

You have to allow for the limited attention span of the oldsters around here! :lol:

... eh? What was that? Speak up, young man ....

And anyway, I think you're wrong about the record pucks! :ner:
(see previous post)

The Vinyl Adventure
03-04-2010, 14:51
Sorry, Hamish.

You have to allow for the limited attention span of the oldsters around here! :lol:

... eh? What was that? Speak up, young man ....

ha, yeah ... well get them super strength reading glasses on and get yer peepers round this -

And anyway, I think you're wrong about the record pucks! :ner:
(see previous post)

im not, and i dont care anyway :ner::eek:;)

id happily il lend you mine for a week or so if you like, i havent got my tt at the mo anyway .. at least that way you will know for sure either way!?
i could get it taken down to the gloucester sight 2 sound and you could pick it up from there if you like ... that way we dont even have to pay any postage!!!

Haselsh1
03-04-2010, 15:00
You know, I always took it for granted that a record puck would IMPROVE the sound so I have never actually tried my SL1210 without one. Now there's an experiment...!!!

jandl100
03-04-2010, 15:51
id happily il lend you mine for a week or so if you like, i havent got my tt at the mo anyway .. at least that way you will know for sure either way!?
i could get it taken down to the gloucester sight 2 sound and you could pick it up from there if you like ... that way we dont even have to pay any postage!!!

Thanks Hamish, that sounds cool ... but I've no plans to go to Gloucester for about 3 weeks, and at 35 miles round trip at 15p/mile ... lessee, that's over a £fiver .... be cheaper to post it, I'll reimburse you! I'll drop you a PM with my address. That OK? :)

The Vinyl Adventure
03-04-2010, 16:12
no probs mate, pm received, i have some other things to stick in the post on Tuesday so i shall add that to the pile no prob!