PDA

View Full Version : Free records!!!

Ian7633
27-06-2018, 15:06
A few years ago a work colleague just happened to mention he was clearing out his attic and taking a load of old LPs to the tip. I asked if I could have then think I would probably find a mix of Bert Kampferts greatest hits and Top of the pops ( not the original artist ) but no, Elton John, Cream, Ultravox and quite a few more. However they were really grubby so they stayed in the box and remained there until yesterday when I dug out the Elton John LPs, had a good look at the condition and decided to spend the afternoon cleaning them. I use the patent " Jamie " method which is a bit labour intensive but yields great results, nice shiny discs and the bonus of greatly reducing static build up, no idea how....I'n not a physicist. While they were have a soak in detergent I discovered they are all first pressings so well worth the effort. One of them is quite badly warped so I shall have a go at fixing it, I've done it before using warm glass shelves from the hifi rack with pretty good results. They sound good, a few pops and crackles but nothing much and certainly better than some of the so called mint LPs I've bought secondhand. They're now in nice anti static sleeves and I'm stealing myself for cleaning the rest.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2yya81g.jpg

struth
27-06-2018, 15:09
someone was a big fan.:D

Crackles
27-06-2018, 19:24
That fan looks older than Elton John [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ian7633
27-06-2018, 19:50
I bought it in a junk shop at least 20 years ago. I think it once belonged to Henry IIIV lol. I only keep it as it's so quiet and creates a nice breeze.

Oddball
28-06-2018, 22:19
Nice find Ian , remind me of the title of the blue album with the folk drawn lying on the ground?
I have heard it but cant recall the title!!

Oddball
28-06-2018, 22:20
'Blue Moves ' comes to me?

Ian7633
29-06-2018, 01:43
'Blue Moves ' comes to me?

That's the one Anto, it's disc one that I've got to try to get the warp out of, bloody typical as the record itself is in mint condition other than that. I just don't want to put the oven on until the weather cools down a bit, it's hot enough in here without that lol.

Audio Al
29-06-2018, 04:57
Early Elton was good , nice crisp punchy vocals , Age does take it toll on elderly vocals :(

Mowgli
30-06-2018, 22:49
What is the Jamie method?

Ian7633
30-06-2018, 23:44
What is the Jamie method?

Have a look at the thread " http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?58582-more-record-cleaning-on-the-cheap-D ". Jamie explains it step by step and there are photos too.