PDA

View Full Version : General vinyl/turntable question !

Gbeer7
30-03-2010, 11:27
Recently been thinking about getting a Rega P2. I'm 30 but don't own hard any vinyl. Just wanted to have listen and have the option. A certain audio shop can do me a Rega P3/24 with Elys cartridge and TT PSU all for £450 ! Sound pretty good deal.
But i'm not sure how much i would use it. Got loads of CD's and not sure how much Vinyl i would buy. Any thoughts ?

chris@panteg
30-03-2010, 11:39
Hi Graham

Sounds good to me ' what amp/phono stage will you be using with it ?

Once up and running you may find yourself buying lots of vinyl ;) seriously you may find it quite addictive:)

Gbeer7
30-03-2010, 11:42
My setup is an audiolab 8000s amp with an 8000p power amp due this week ! KEF IQ5se speakers and Chord Chameleon interconnects.
Big plunge as I need to justify the money.

chris@panteg
30-03-2010, 11:47
The 8000s has a phono stage ?

A good vinyl playback system is worthwhile ' though you don't have any Vinyl , its a tricky one really , i would encourage you to go for it .

Gbeer7
30-03-2010, 11:49
Well they are putting the Rega TT PSU in for the price.
Do you still listen to CD's much ?

chris@panteg
30-03-2010, 11:53
Oh yes and some pc audio

But there something very different about vinyl ' it just sounds more natural to the ear .

On a good set up and the Rega p3/24 is very good you will find it much more fluid for starter's .

Jason P
30-03-2010, 11:56
Mebbe you should think about a secondhand TT - you could pick summat up for around £200 that should be fine for starters - a Planar 3, Systemdek, Focus One, even a 1210 - the latter could then be upgraded in a modular fashion. If you don't like, you'd be able to sell without losing much. If you do - more money for vinyl!!

Jason

The Vinyl Adventure
30-03-2010, 11:57
I should go for it, I'm not sure it's possible to regret getting into tt/vinyl ownership... I'm pretty sure it goes agaisnt some kinda basic law of nature ;)
I started out with a pretty ropey tt and a stack of records I found in a bin so it was a cheap introduction for me ... But Id never not own a tt now! One of the records I found was pink floyds 'wish you were here' I don't think it stopped spinning for about 3 days!

The Vinyl Adventure
30-03-2010, 12:00
Also by not owning a tt your missing out on that pleasure of finding a tatty lookjg old disk in a charity shop of something you vagluely remember from being a kid... Getting it home, playing it and it sounding awesome...

Jason has a point about buying second hand though, you have much less to loose!

Gbeer7
30-03-2010, 12:56
Does the Rega TT PSU make Vinyl sound better ? Slighty concerned about pops and clicks of the vinyl....

hifi_dave
30-03-2010, 13:52
The PSU is not going to make surface noise go away but the P3-24/Elys is easy on the ear and won't emphasise those clicks and pops unlike many TT's.

Gbeer7
30-03-2010, 13:54
Cheers Dave. Forgive the daft question, but what's the benefit of the TTPSU ?

Stratmangler
30-03-2010, 14:01
Does the Rega TT PSU make Vinyl sound better ? Slighty concerned about pops and clicks of the vinyl....

The PSU will ensure that the platter rotation is smoother, therefore the stylus has an easier time sitting in the groove and things will sound better as a result.
It won't stop pops and clicks.

Stratmangler
30-03-2010, 14:02
The PSU will ensure that the platter rotation is smoother, therefore the stylus has an easier time sitting in the groove and things will sound better as a result.
It won't stop pops and clicks.

Got there a bit late.