PDA

View Full Version : NewClasD Discrete OPAMPs

slate
29-03-2010, 23:49
I first heard about their voltage regulators on this board.

And I can see that they resently introduced a "discrete" OPAMP http://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=55

I have not been able to google anything relevant other than resellers... Does anyone have any experience with these? are they "just" a Burson alternative?!

Cheers
Jan

aquapiranha
30-03-2010, 19:23
These remind me of the HXR regulators fitted in some Hypex units. different thing though.

I have no experience of them but I can recommend rolling opamps as it certainly makes a difference in CD players anyway.

Robscix
20-04-2010, 18:54
Actually, IIRC, the story is that Audio-GD made the first discrete and the supplied OEM models to Burson. This was their original Burson discrete opamps and was said to be identical to the Audio-GD Earth opamp. Burson has since released a V2, which is said to be a new design. I wouldn't say they are an alternative model. According to the information the unit you're asking about are Class-D which is different then other discretes which use different amplifer classes. I have actually been doing alot of work lately with opamps testing and discretes so I have a few on the way for testing. If you want I can post some initial listening impressions when they arrive.

The other poster is 100% correct opamps swapping is an easy way to upgrade your sound or tune it to your personal gear and tastes.

slate
27-10-2010, 12:10
Robscix; sorry I forgot to subscribe so didn't see your answer until now:doh:

I am sure that others will be interest in your findings when testing opamps and discretes.

One challenge with discretes can be lack of space e.g. in a Caiman.

Actually some months ago I had a talk with a guy that had his Sony CD player modified by Dexa/NewClassD with their voltage regulators and clock. He said that it was a big improvement and that he had now taken it back to them to have the opamps replaced with their creation.... should have asked for his number.

Actually the first picture on the link I provide could be from his CD player; as I recall the ES series have an internal copper cabinet/shield.

StanleyB
27-10-2010, 12:16
One challenge with discretes can be lack of space e.g. in a Caiman.
Oh no it's not;). See http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7623

slate
27-10-2010, 13:12
Oh no it's not;). See http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7623

my bad..... how could I forget about the gator board... but it is not the first one thinks about when the subject is opamp rolling.

Anyway looking forward for the postman to come calling in the near future.

leo
27-10-2010, 17:30
Thing to note is that Gator is designed specially for the Caiman where as these discrete op-amps from Audio-GD, Burson etc are not, Gator won't have the compromises the others have when used in the Caiman . Also the voltage supply in the Caiman is too low to run the Audio-GD and burson at their best , distortion running at lower voltages is much higher .

StanleyB
27-10-2010, 18:18
That reminds me to sell those Burson opamps I bought to try out.

maniac
30-01-2011, 10:41
Hi Stan,

wouldn't replacement of headphone OPAmp (AD826 in my case) in Gator by discrete OPAmp (for example Audio-gd or Burson) improve the headphone output?
I'm looking for a warmer / more dynamic/musical sound with HD800 of course with details preserved as I have today with ad826 :) .
I'm still waiting for Murata regs and ELNAs caps so I will see how much they would help to my sonic preference :)

Just not to forget - fixed line output of Gator is at the moment unbeatable and I'm now very satisfied with whole chain followed by NAD C160 preamp +C270 poweramp+Dynaudio Audience 72 speakers:)

Btw, C160 headphone output is even less dynamic than output of Gator and is alos much less detailed...

StanleyB
30-01-2011, 11:11
Hi Stan,

wouldn't replacement of headphone OPAmp (AD826 in my case) in Gator by discrete OPAmp (for example Audio-gd or Burson) improve the headphone output?
I tried every possible option, but the AD826 is the best option price & performance wise. Maybe you have to wait till I complete my stand alone headphone amp, the TC-7300 :eyebrows:.

maniac
30-01-2011, 17:14
Thatīs dome bad and some good news indeed :) So I'll probably wait, any rough estimate when TC7300 will be available? :)

StanleyB
30-01-2011, 17:50
Later this year sometime..

audionewbi
02-01-2012, 06:50
I tried every possible option, but the AD826 is the best option price & performance wise. Maybe you have to wait till I complete my stand alone headphone amp, the TC-7300 :eyebrows:.

what, :eyebrows: when when when :D

I was thinking of buying a dedicated amp but now I dont mind waiting if this is infact happening :D