PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha studio amps, any opinions?

Lawrence001
18-06-2018, 16:53
Rather taken with my 3 channel av amp used as a power amp, good clean sound, so have agreed to buy this one. Has anyone tried anything similar? My experience is that if you go for a good class AB amp then you can tune the system with a nice pre.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 352380484552

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Barry
18-06-2018, 17:04
I have no knowledge of Yamaha amplifiers (professional or domestic), but I do use professional broadcast or studio equipment in my set up: Studer: EMT; Nagra and Quad.

I use Quad 510 monoblocks with my main system to very good effect (positioned directly behind each speaker and fed from the preamp via balanced-line interconnects), and a Quad 520 (a dual channel amplifier) with my second system.

It is a commonly held myth to regard professional equipment as being solely designed to be reliable, capable of withstanding rough handling but little else. They do all that, but many also offer an excellent performance in sound quality. :)

montesquieu
18-06-2018, 18:16
Looks interesting. Keen to hear how you get on.

Edward
18-06-2018, 20:02
Looks interesting. Keen to hear how you get on.

+1

Beobloke
20-06-2018, 11:43
I have a Yamaha PC-5002M and it's quite something. Even has two mains leads!

jandl100
20-06-2018, 20:31
I went through a Yamaha semi-pro amp phase a few years ago. Had quite a few models.

Loadsa power for not much dosh.
Good rez (not exceptional), somewhat lean, forward sound lacking a little in bass weight if with good definition and slam.
The ones I owned had fans which switched on when the amp started getting hot - I very seldom managed to get the fan on but I loaned someone one of them and I guess he must have been a bit of an animal (his speakers were of average efficiency like mine) as he said the fan was on a lot, and was just about audible with the music.

Lawrence001
22-06-2018, 10:17
I went through a Yamaha semi-pro amp phase a few years ago. Had quite a few models.

Loadsa power for not much dosh.
Good rez (not exceptional), somewhat lean, forward sound lacking a little in bass weight if with good definition and slam.
The ones I owned had fans which switched on when the amp started getting hot - I very seldom managed to get the fan on but I loaned someone one of them and I guess he must have been a bit of an animal (his speakers were of average efficiency like mine) as he said the fan was on a lot, and was just about audible with the music.Sounds a bit like my experience with the 3 way AV amp, it can be tamed with a suitable pre though and makes a nice sound in a well matched system.

donmarrese
23-06-2018, 14:13
Lawrence, I have an Amcron 300a I can lend you to try, it's for sale actually, it's a bit dead out there at the mo.. just serviced by Air Studios..classic studio amp from 70's n 80's, lots of power to drive difficult speakers

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Pharos
23-06-2018, 21:53
Highly regarded too.

Lawrence001
24-06-2018, 09:35
Lawrence, I have an Amcron 300a I can lend you to try, it's for sale actually, it's a bit dead out there at the mo.. just serviced by Air Studios..classic studio amp from 70's n 80's, lots of power to drive difficult speakers

Sent from my ONE A2003 using TapatalkInteresting, is it listed?

donmarrese
24-06-2018, 09:42
It's listed on Gumtree... Highly rated by the sound engineering fraternity.. the caps on the amplifier are bigger than my oil filter on my car!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

DSJR
24-06-2018, 11:09
Always when I'm skint (I'm skint 90% of the time these days :( ) How much did you want for it?

The DC300A used to be regarded as an animal when I started back in 73 or so, but it's a bit of a softie now, albeit a powerful one. I have the D-60's and an early D-150 and they're still valid for domestic use and the 150 especially is good for 'BBC Boomers' as it controls the bass like few others, but can sound a little too straight-laced for many modern boxes, espially sealed ones I suspect. I'd regard the DC300A in good fettle rather like a bigger Quad 606/707/909 model, solid fist in a velvet glove. I listen to one regularly (satin finish 'mk1.5' front with the metal knobs and 'clipping lights') and it's unburstable, just going louder and louder and even with these lamps coming on, no audible distortion and you don't realise it's flat out until you try to speak and have to raise your voice. I'm sure modern power amps are more 'subtle' perhaps, but give it some welly as designed and I feel it's all 'there.' Love it to bits and it's on the bucket list, along with some three way JBL's in more modern form...

As for the well priced Yamaha pro amps, I'm sure they're really fine in a lean, clear but not harsh kind of way and perfect for the task of providing clean power into pretty easy speaker loads. My amps are lost in the 70's by and large, as they were 'Top End' when I started, but for someone now needing a decent dynamic range with not much to spend, I suspect they're the answer to a prayer :)

Lawrence001
24-06-2018, 13:44
It's listed on Gumtree... Highly rated by the sound engineering fraternity.. the caps on the amplifier are bigger than my oil filter on my car!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using TapatalkAh see it now, I've agreed to buy the Yammy so I'll see how I get on.

Audio Al
24-06-2018, 13:45
I heard a big mother Yam pro amp at the Wig Wam show some years ago , it had 2 big VU meters , It sounded awful to me , It was wound up , the resulting sound well all I can say is " Overdriven " , I managed 5 mins in the room before I thought my ears were bleeding :(

Lawrence001
24-06-2018, 14:27
I heard a big mother Yam pro amp at the Wig Wam show some years ago , it had 2 big VU meters , It sounded awful to me , It was wound up , the resulting sound well all I can say is " Overdriven " , I managed 5 mins in the room before I thought my ears were bleeding :(If it sounded anything like mine I can see how that would happen if paired with the wrong speakers, it works best with something a bit laid back to neutral and injects a bit of life. Anything aggressive on the treble front would be a bit OTT IMHO.

navigator
25-06-2018, 15:07
I use old Yamaha pro studio PC4002 M . It is a v heavy amp barely liftable but has VG spec and plenty power all thro the audio range. It's inputs been modded to increase ' speed' . I feed it direct from phono pre amp ( Ear 834) and adjust attenuation for the two channels . It has fans which come in after about 4/6 hours of hard driving. I'm told newer quieter fans can be fitted as in computers but I've not been sufficiently disturbed to bother. It eats electric even on idle. I love it's sound - I'm just back from the North west show Cranage and realise my sound is not so modern sharp edgy - its more natural analogue sounding ( not sure what that means exactly)and that's why I can listen for so long. Purchased because I wanted depth of power and had little money.

navigator
25-06-2018, 17:31
If it sounded anything like mine I can see how that would happen if paired with the wrong speakers, it works best with something a bit laid back to neutral and injects a bit of life. Anything aggressive on the treble front would be a bit OTT IMHO.

Absolutely right Lawrence. Mine prefers 'flat' . It will show up any component at is not so balanced. No Prisoners taken as they say . With correct performers it does shine ie it makes no change in the feed.

Lawrence001
28-06-2018, 20:51
It's here and sounding great with my Parasound P3, best power amp I've had. Will try with my Croft octal soon.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180628/7cb939ccbdcf79046a496a86600ab7b4.jpg

navigator
29-06-2018, 08:25
It's here and sounding great with my Parasound P3, best power amp I've had. Will try with my Croft octal soon.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180628/7cb939ccbdcf79046a496a86600ab7b4.jpg

Enjoy ! I place mine in the coolest low level place to minimise fan and its whizz . But in reality I do play loud so I'd struggle yo hear it's tiny noise . And it's Built to kick out that superb vibe for ever ! A good clean screened power supply can be heard ( or rather Not heard) and I use screened speaker leads ( eg Supra ply ( earthed to mains earth) I found audible benefit from these two factors in my old house .

Lawrence001
30-06-2018, 22:06
Enjoy ! I place mine in the coolest low level place to minimise fan and its whizz . But in reality I do play loud so I'd struggle yo hear it's tiny noise . And it's Built to kick out that superb vibe for ever ! A good clean screened power supply can be heard ( or rather Not heard) and I use screened speaker leads ( eg Supra ply ( earthed to mains earth) I found audible benefit from these two factors in my old house .Just looked yours up what a beaut, one day I'll step up to one of those. This EEengine technology seems to work well, sounds lovely and it stays stone cold, although I don't play loud.

Lawrence001
02-07-2018, 21:42
Got some NOS Mullard 12SN7GTs today, fitted them in the Croft, sounding just right through the Yamaha, very happy tonight :)

Edward
06-07-2018, 22:23
Had the chance of listening to this Yamaha amp at Lawrence's pad today - driving his beautiful Ushers. Wow!

The yammy's just kept on giving and giving. We tried various preamps and various types of music, all of which the yammy handled without a bead of sweat being broken. Just a magnificent sense of 'being there'.

A nugget that simply shines. Reference quality.

Lawrence001
06-07-2018, 23:17
Thanks Edward, yes it did seem to be remarkably transparent to the changes in preamps we tried, also this evening switching between my Octave and Tri Vista dacs and passive pre. It just punches nicely above its weight.

donmarrese
10-07-2018, 22:14
Always when I'm skint (I'm skint 90% of the time these days :( ) How much did you want for it?

The DC300A used to be regarded as an animal when I started back in 73 or so, but it's a bit of a softie now, albeit a powerful one.

So sorry for the late reply...I have 2..
Both from Air Studio's, I was assured that they didn't do any hard work....used to feed 10 "Cans" around the studio. The better one stands me in for £350. Serviced + has full complement of Transistors.
The cheap one, has a transistor removed from each channel, (Can't get the originals anymore apparently..one blew...) but balance and serviced. Little less power, but still sounds good. That one is £280
These are perfect for driving power hungry speakers...I latched on to these via a friend of mine who designed high end amps in the eighties. He highly rates these amps, (quoted: Nothing comes near it for £700!)
So I tried them, and I agree. They've got to got, as I'm sticking with my Omniphonics Research S100 for sentimental reasons, and I'm neglecting my Valve kit. As for other studio high end kit, I'm also sticking with my Tannoy SR 804, I know the surgeon who delivered it.
As for Studio amps with internal fans, thats a no no for me; rings true of industrial use...but I must be careful, as the ears have that last laugh!