PDA

View Full Version : IEC power sockets - a very quick question.

horace
28-03-2010, 10:37
Hi folks

The IEC power socket on one of my power amps needs replacing. I've identified the shape and type, but they appear to come in three flavours - 2.8mm, 4.8mm and 6.3mm.

Any idea what those measurements refer to?

For info, whichever ones I have are a perfect fit for B&Q 'Kettle' leads ;).

Cheers

Martin

DSJR
28-03-2010, 10:52
Why not ask the manufacturers and see if they'll send you one?

horace
28-03-2010, 10:57
Why not ask the manufacturers and see if they'll send you one?

Ah, well, if you're referring to the manufacturer of the amp, that would be a small company somewhere in the Far East.....

Don't think I'll have much luck going down that road :).

Cheers

Martin

Stratmangler
28-03-2010, 11:01
This might help http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1497

DSJR
28-03-2010, 11:01
Pics then of the supplied socket???????? ;)

Stratmangler
28-03-2010, 11:13
Pics then of the supplied socket???????? ;)

Read the text.

horace
28-03-2010, 11:38
Thanks chaps.

The socket in the amp looks like the one in this picture (complete with fuse holder).

Just a guess, but could the measurements refer to the size of the blades on the back of the socket? - I assume that the pins inside the connector must be of a standard size to fit any IEC plug.....

Cheers

Martin

Stratmangler
28-03-2010, 11:43
Martin

Looking at the picture in your last post the sizing thing is to do with the size of the pins - the pins are much thinner than the ones on the Maplin page.

Looks like 6.3mm is the type to get.

horace
28-03-2010, 11:54
Martin

Looking at the picture in your last post the sizing thing is to do with the size of the pins - the pins are much thinner than the ones on the Maplin page.

Looks like 6.3mm is the type to get.

Nothing is ever simple in my life!

I haven't compared the pins yet, but the socket itself looks the same - just seemed strange to me that the size of the pins in the socket could vary so much, as they only seem to sell one size of IEC kettle lead. So what's going on there then?

These electronic boffin types need in a lesson in standardisation ;).

Cheers

Martin

here we go again
28-03-2010, 22:09
3 pin IEC sockets (kettle leads) are standard - those differing dimensions are, as you thought, the sizes of the blades ON THE REAR of the socket where you'll make the connections. 6.3mm is the size of a standard spade connector - the others will obviously need a smaller/thinner connector or you'll have to solder them.

horace
28-03-2010, 22:14
3 pin IEC sockets (kettle leads) are standard - those differing dimensions are, as you thought, the sizes of the blades ON THE REAR of the socket where you'll make the connections. 6.3mm is the size of a standard spade connector - the others will obviously need a smaller/thinner connector or you'll have to solder them.

Top man!

That's what I needed - someone to tell me I am right for once in my life.

Have a virtual :cool:on me.

Cheers

Martin :)