PDA

View Full Version : Who's In to ZZ Top?

Macca
13-06-2018, 18:09
If you're not you should be. Yes, I know some people struggle to get past the beards. It's worth the effort though. You might think they are just another Texas blues band who went commercial in the 1980s. And they are, but they are also much more than that. Jimi Hendrix knew it way back in 1970.

Here's my guide to checking them out. There are basically four periods of 'Top. Pre-beards, Post beards, Mainstream and Latter period. We'll start with pre-beards.

https://i.imgur.com/LaOwAxp.jpg

ZZ Top's first album is called ZZ Top's First Album. This is essential, and arguably their best work. 3 piece Texas Blues, but well played and the guitar playing in particular is exceptional. Billy Gibbons never does anything fancy, you watch him play and you think 'I could do that' but you couldn't. (Well probably not: maybe you are shit hot and you could, or maybe you are actually Billy Gibbons in which case you demonstrably can. Point made, anyway).

The highlight is 'Just Got Back From Baby'. If you have this new-fangled 'streaming' gizmo you can check out this one track and you will see the light . Play it at volume of course. This isn't wallpaper music.

Next up is their third effort which you'd hope would be called 'ZZ Top's Third Album' but is in fact titled 'Tres Hombres'.

https://i.imgur.com/Kjff8IP.jpg

More of what they did on the first one really, again this is essential. Highlights are 'Jesus Just Left Chicago' and 'La Grange'.

Then we skip forward to album number six. We are now in the Post Beard era.

https://i.imgur.com/sgAWAWX.jpg

Deguello is a bit of a mixed bag. Worth having for the cover of Sam n Dave's 'Cheap Sunglasses'. This was the first attempt by the Top to modernise their sound a little. It worked and the album went Platinum.

And we move on into the Mainstream era and their next album which is the one everyone knows: 'Eliminator'

https://i.imgur.com/1mESQ9N.jpg

The production is polished up another notch for this one. You'll all be familiar with 'Sharp Dressed Man' and 'Legs' but there is really no filler on this record. For me the best tune is 'TV Dinners'. Just a simple, grinding Texas blues but with some of the best guitar work ever done by anyone, anywhere, ever. The finest, dirtiest groove ever recorded in fact.

Which brings us to the second album in this triumvirate, 'Afterburner':

https://i.imgur.com/iousDUK.jpg

More of the same but with a much bigger production, more synths (not wheezing away like some prog band but sounding like bin lids being smashed together). A poppier feel to some of the tunes like 'Stages' and 'Rough Boy', but still some properly grinding guitar, especially on the Tap-esque titled 'Woke Up With Wood.'

'Recycler' from '1990' is the final album in the 'commercial' period.

https://i.imgur.com/XuHa2PD.jpg

The title may be tongue in cheek since the boys revisit some of the old riffs with this one but it is still well done. No more poppy stuff but the production on this is huge. It must be the 'biggest' sounding rock album ever recorded and sounds very impressive through a big rig. It's also one of the highest rated vinyl albums on the dynamic range database. The CD ain't too shabby either.

No filler on this one either and if you liked the previous two then this one is also essential.

Finally the last one I'd recommend checking out is Rhythmeen from 1996

https://i.imgur.com/1PitEle.jpg

A return to roots, so if you liked the Pre-Beard era albums you'll like this too. Marred a little by too much compression I think (only got the cd, vinyl may be better if you can find one) but again some great Texas Blues on this one. How does he get that guitar sound? It's beyond dirty on this. It will actually make you smile just to hear it.

Get past the beards, folks!

struth
13-06-2018, 18:14
Used to have quite a few on vinyl. Sold em all. Lol
They were in back to future

martian sunrise
13-06-2018, 18:19
No RGM?

Macca
13-06-2018, 18:23
No RGM?

I left out the albums that are an acquired taste. I don't even think the band themselves were that keen how on RGM turned out.

walpurgis
13-06-2018, 18:34
'Nasty Dogs and Funky kings' is still my favourite ZZ Top track. It's short, mean and powerful! Perfect!!

Barry
13-06-2018, 18:46
I'm quite fond of Mescalero, as well as One Foot in the Blues

Pigmy Pony
13-06-2018, 18:47
I saw them live at Donington in 1985. It was at the height of their 'Eliminator' popularity.

Their arrival was announced by a helicopter flying over the venue with that hot rod dangling from it (I bet health and Safety would have something to say about that these days).

They were just brilliant, and probably the loudest band I've ever heard, especially considering it was outdoors. A good day out for rock fans I think, supported by Marillion, Metallica and Magnum.

At that time, Frank Beard was the only one without one :)

Macca
13-06-2018, 18:47
'Nasty Dogs and Funky kings' is still my favourite ZZ Top track. It's short, mean and powerful! Perfect!!

That has got the kick to it, no doubt. Probably shouldn't have left 'Fandango' out actually, but it's not one to start with I don't think.

walpurgis
13-06-2018, 18:51
That has got the kick to it, no doubt. Probably shouldn't have left 'Fandango' out actually, but it's not one to start with I don't think.

Just played it. Wicked ! :guitar:

Here's a YouTube link if anybody doesn't know it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8WNoG4pf6I

Jimbo
13-06-2018, 19:38
They did a great gig at Glastonbuy a couple of years back. Billy Gibbons is certainly a dude and really like his laid back playing.

Yep TV dinners is a great bit of music. Bought Eliminator again on vinyl recently just for this track.

Macca
13-06-2018, 19:59
They did a great gig at Glastonbuy a couple of years back. Billy Gibbons is certainly a dude and really like his laid back playing.

Yep TV dinners is a great bit of music. Bought Eliminator again on vinyl recently just for this track.

You're a man of taste. And that Glastonbury performance is one of the best I've seen. He pulls out the stops a bit for that one compared to some of the other live performances that are out there.

Stratmangler
13-06-2018, 20:17
I saw them live at Donington in 1985. It was at the height of their 'Eliminator' popularity.

Their arrival was announced by a helicopter flying over the venue with that hot rod dangling from it (I bet health and Safety would have something to say about that these days).

They were just brilliant, and probably the loudest band I've ever heard, especially considering it was outdoors. A good day out for rock fans I think, supported by Marillion, Metallica and Magnum.

At that time, Frank Beard was the only one without one :)

You missed Bon Jovi, who were on before Marillion.
And Ratt ....

Marillion were rubbish, and Metallica had yet to record their first (and possibly only) decent album ....

Stratmangler
13-06-2018, 20:23
I left out the albums that are an acquired taste. I don't even think the band themselves were that keen how on RGM turned out.

You missed out half of the decent stuff they recorded.
Fandango ...
Tejas .....
El Loco ....

and then, when you should have stopped at Eliminator, you went on to mention stuff post Eliminator.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Macca
13-06-2018, 20:33
'Afterburner' is as good as 'Eliminator', just different. How can you not rate it? And 'Recycler' is just the whole schtick taken to an extreme. Which I like.

I do have all the other albums except the most recent one and I do like them, just not as much as the ones I mentioned.

User211
13-06-2018, 20:56
I like La Futura.

Why? Just check out the sound of the guitar amps on it. Some of the best valve distortion I have ever heard recorded. Proof of just how good a great valve circuit can sound when running into extreme overload.

Someone will spoil this post by telling me it was done by other means. But I hope and believe it wasn't.

Most awesome moment? End of Chartreuse and slipping into Consumption. Play at at least 11, maybe twelve, after a few beers to see what I mean.

alphaGT
14-06-2018, 08:48
I am a huge ZZ Top fan! I’ve seen them in concert 6 times! And it’s always a party atmosphere, they really get the crowd going! And even though they may be perceived as a Southern Rock type band, which they really aren’t, they always had the ultimate light show, laser show, dancing girls! Awesome entertainers.

My first exposure to them was a scratchy old copy of Fandango I got from my older sister at age 14. At 16 I bought the Degualo album, and I swear it stayed on my record player for a month! I played it every day, a whole week before I flipped it over!

Since then, I’ve collected many of their albums, not all. Tajas is one of my favorites, and the last song, Asleep in the Dessert, is special to me for some reason, it’s as the name implies, a sleepy little song that is so well executed. But I can’t pick a favorite, there’s just too many great songs to choose from.

At one concert, I was just married, my wife up on my shoulders, and I saw everyone in the band look right at us with big eyes and bigger smiles! Billy stopped and pointed! I look up to see my wife showing her titties to the boys, she was always so shy, I didn’t think she had it in her. I wasn’t mad. Kind of proud in a way!

Russell

Ali Tait
14-06-2018, 09:03

Yes they did, I was there, was the highlight of the festival for me.

Minstrel SE
14-06-2018, 09:20
They are one of those outfits Ive never given a fair chance to. When Gimme all your lovin and legs were played to death on the radio I tended to form my judgement on those singles and never moved past that.

The may well be an album I really like...maybe.... maybe not but Ive never given them a fair trial :)

alphaGT
14-06-2018, 10:54
https://youtu.be/MCBYpv8MmtY

Something different....

Russ

narabdela
14-06-2018, 11:09
I don't have a problem with the beards, but all their music sounds the same to me. :scratch:

Pete The Cat
14-06-2018, 12:59
Just one note of caution. In the late 80's the early albums were re-released under the title Six Pack, for which the percussion was "treated" in the same style as Eliminator and Afterburner in an attempt to replicate their commercial success. To my ears it's a clunky remix of the old and the new and best avoided.

Pete

Stratmangler
14-06-2018, 18:28
Just one note of caution. In the late 80's the early albums were re-released under the title Six Pack, for which the percussion was "treated" in the same style as Eliminator and Afterburner in an attempt to replicate their commercial success. To my ears it's a clunky remix of the old and the new and best avoided.

Pete

Absolutely correct.
The Six Pack set was remixed and DDL/reverb used :doh:

The earlier albums on this set did not receive the same treatment - they're the original mixes https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Studio-Albums-1970-1990/dp/B00CQGU9GG/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1529000735&sr=1-3&keywords=zz+top

Pigmy Pony
16-06-2018, 06:35
You missed Bon Jovi, who were on before Marillion.
And Ratt ....

Marillion were rubbish, and Metallica had yet to record their first (and possibly only) decent album ....

I only remember the names that began with 'M', and I was a bit dazed and confused that day. I agree about Marillion. I didn't see much of them, I went for a shit or something.

Jac Hawk
29-07-2018, 15:51
Love em, got a 1st pressing of Tres Hobres and Rio Grand Mud and Eliminator , no one plays the blues like Billy Gibbons, i'm not saying he's the best blues guitarist of all time but he's definitely up there and you know straight away who's playing. The last album they did back in 2012 was brilliant La Futura was one of their best for my money.

Barry
29-07-2018, 20:44
Just been playing ZZ Top's First Album - not bad, not bad at all. :)

moffer
31-07-2018, 21:03
I have vinyl reissues of Deguello and Eliminator. If anyone's thinking about getting Deguello then you won't go wrong with the 2011 Rhino remaster cut by Chris Bellman. It sounds fantastic, better than the original according to a couple of Steve Hoffman members who own both. Good quality pressing too.

Macca
01-08-2018, 18:47
Just been playing ZZ Top's First Album - not bad, not bad at all. :)

Not bad?

'Just Got Back From Baby' is one of the best things ever done.

Jac Hawk
02-08-2018, 19:36
People think of ZZ Top and in the main think Eliminator and big beards, they're so much more than just that

Joe
02-08-2018, 21:36
I don't even think that. I guess they'll always be the final artist in anyone's record collection (if arranged alphabetically, rather than at random like what mine is).