PDA

View Full Version : DD Heaven? We'll see...



shane
25-05-2008, 17:11
Ooops. Just bought a Dual 701 off Ebay for 60. Am I mad?

Marco
25-05-2008, 17:32
Nope! :)

Showz the link so we can have a peeky-poo...

Marco.

shane
25-05-2008, 17:43
'yer tiz. God knows what sort of state it'll be in. Delivery was 39 Euros.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270240391662&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsearch%2F search.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle% 3D270240391662%26fvi%3D1

pure sound
25-05-2008, 17:56
The Papst motor and associated electronics might be put to good use in a new project if it doesn't work well enough as is. You'd probably need to replicate the mass of platter it has to control to get it absolutely right.

As I said elsewhere, its the same motor Goldmund used in the Studio which was a fabulous TT so the potential is definitely there.

shane
25-05-2008, 18:35
That was one of my thoughts as well. I've been thinking of making a DD version of my current home-made slate-based idler TT, and the Papst motor would suit it brilliantly. There are three options; use it as it is, treat it to a slate-deck type plinth a la Lenco, or use the motor in a home-brew. It all depends on what sort of state it's in when it gets here.

trond kjetil
29-05-2008, 17:46
My first post here:

A very good DD motor it is. Not much of the so-called "DD sound" some speak of. I have one Dual 701 in full working order, and I have used another motor in this project:

http://www.thorens-lovers.com/tkh/hifi/ma/img/ma07.jpg

EDS1000 motor, (I didn't believe it is Pabst :confused: ), slate plinth, acrylic platter from DIY Hifi Supply (same as the BiX), and acrylic arm boards. Stroboscopic lamp behind platter, so that the stroboscope is visible through the edge of the platter. In this setup it is one mdf arm board, just so that I can try the turntable. It will have diy arms as well, some day :)

Trond Kjetil

Mike
29-05-2008, 18:02
Wow... great stuff!

DIY rules!!!

:exactly:

Filterlab
29-05-2008, 18:37
That is gorgeous, acrylic just looks so good. How lucky it sounds good too!

shane
30-05-2008, 11:25
Well, it's arrived, and I have to say a bit of a curate's egg. The good news is that the motor and electronics are fine, and the chassis, although scruffy, is sound. The plinth arrived with a split corner, but it's a really horrid flimsy concoction of plastic and chipboard so will be discarded anyway. Likewise the lid is in several pieces. The most difficult part is the arm. The headshell is drooping by about 10 degrees, the bearings are loose and the auto mechanism is all over the place but I don't think there's anything there that can't be sorted out. The difficult bit is the counterweight; this is a rather clever piece of lateral thinking which consists of two weights, one inside the other, each suspended on a rubber mounting to damp out resonances in the arm. Both rubber mountings have come apart so both weights are loose on the stem and I simply cannot see how to take it apart. It may be a case of just glueing the whole thing together, but I'd like to start off with the arm functioning as it was designed, so thinking caps on...

Filterlab
30-05-2008, 11:27
Sounds like you have your work cut out. Any pictures so we can appreciate how much work is required?

trond kjetil
30-05-2008, 11:46
Well, it's arrived, and I have to say a bit of a curate's egg. The good news is that the motor and electronics are fine, and the chassis, although scruffy, is sound. The plinth arrived with a split corner, but it's a really horrid flimsy concoction of plastic and chipboard so will be discarded anyway. Likewise the lid is in several pieces. The most difficult part is the arm. The headshell is drooping by about 10 degrees, the bearings are loose and the auto mechanism is all over the place but I don't think there's anything there that can't be sorted out. The difficult bit is the counterweight; this is a rather clever piece of lateral thinking which consists of two weights, one inside the other, each suspended on a rubber mounting to damp out resonances in the arm. Both rubber mountings have come apart so both weights are loose on the stem and I simply cannot see how to take it apart. It may be a case of just glueing the whole thing together, but I'd like to start off with the arm functioning as it was designed, so thinking caps on...

Hope this illustration can help :)