PDA

View Full Version : The madness has begun

Tarzan
25-03-2010, 12:10
Just ordered the Isonoe feet from Mr C, will report back on findings when they are up and running.......watch this space:)

chris@panteg
25-03-2010, 12:16
Is this the 1st upgrade ' ? whats the state of play with your set up at the moment .

Tarzan
25-03-2010, 15:01
I started with the Sumiko headshell(very nice), so this is the second and am looking forward to it, that is my new SL1200MK2, on my second beaten up 1200, l fitted an SME V/Lyra Helikon/ TE The Groove, both have their merits, but l think the mainly stock Techy is very very musical and forgiving but the SME/Helikon/Groove, does sound pretty dynamic, but shows up every flaw on my records.

chris@panteg
26-03-2010, 01:09
Hi Andy

On your other deck ' is there no other mods apart from the Stunning arm/cart combo ?

The Techy arm does have its limitations ' but its strong point is it keeps the music together rather than ripping it apart and throwing it at you .

Tarzan
26-03-2010, 12:16
On your other deck ' is there no other mods apart from the Stunning arm/cart combo ?

The Techy arm does have its limitations ' but its strong point is it keeps the music together rather than ripping it apart and throwing it at you

That sums it up quite well Chris, l do feel the stock arm/Stanton 681EEE is SO musical, that is why l am going to upgrade the deck slowly step by step, the stock arm is just so much fun, listening does not come in to it imho:).

Tarzan
04-04-2010, 13:12
The Postie delivered the Isonoes yesterday morning,purchased from Mr C and after just finishing nightwork:brickwall: a visual inspection revealed a weighty and beautiful bit of engineering, but l expected the rubber bands to be stiffer, anyway the the Techie was previously supported on an Audiofile Base, with SoundCare Superspikes, so l knew it was pretty well isolated, but l wanted the Techie to look as simple as possible, so in went the Isonoes, and they achieved what l was looking for in the looks department , they look well cool! So to the sound, am if l am being honest l did not think l would get a big jump in sound quality but more of a subtle one............... blow me down these feet sound awesome, l images became even more stable, bass even more 3D and controlled, the whole sound became even more balanced and even smoother, l am seroiusly impressed, please note the use of the phrase "even more" as these feet take all the strengths of the Techie and just run with them, someone has odviously done their home work with this product, has anybody used these feet under CD Players/Amplifers or used the sorothane/glass boot upgrades that you can use with these?Any good ?Please note l have no affiliation with the maker and all opinions are within the context of my system:).PS, just finished night work so loads of bad grammer.

chris@panteg
04-04-2010, 14:10
Nice one Andy

the Isonoes do work well , the surface they sit on can be critical ' soft wood is a no no .

colinB
04-04-2010, 20:55
Chris, have you any idea if the iosos will work on a Quadraspire perspex shelf?
The shelf buckles a bit under the weight of the deck and so it wont be perfectly flat.
Ive got focalpods on just now but the isonones look like a great design.

chris@panteg
04-04-2010, 21:03
Hi Colin

Should be fine ' but you say the shelf buckles under the weight ! .

Are you saying your deck is not level ? got a photo at all .

colinB
04-04-2010, 23:15
Sorry chris, i havent worked out how to upload pics yet. Need to do that, i wanted to show a pic of a blinged up technics i saw in harrods when you were talking about painting the deck. They were selling it for a grand, covered in sarkovski gems. Very undignified it was.
Yeah, ive got a music works Quadraspire rack and the top shelf is isolated from the metal poles with perspex pegs. The whole thing creaks when i change a record. Its always bothered me, and when i phoned music works about it they told me to mount the deck on a lass wall shelf! After spending all that money i was pretty let down. Having said that the deck is level.
Its no wonder the hifi industry is on a bit of a low at the moment when dealers have that sort of attitude. Give you another example of poor after service. I bought a pair of AVI neutrons and found them to be very shrill. So i phoned up Ashley James at AVI and asked him about break in period. He tells me this is bollocks and my ears have to get used to the new frequencies they are hearing.
My problem is my amp. Its under powered. This is after telling me the speaker sensitivity would work fine with my 70w Rotel integrated. So i buy a roksan kandy 100w. It didnt sort the problem and i didint like the amp. Ended up part exchanging it at 2nd hand hifi for a icon audio phono stage so didnt turn out to bad. Any way, the speakers sound great now that they HAVE broken in.

chris@panteg
04-04-2010, 23:58
Not sure if the Isonoes would be a good investment for you .

How are you finding it with the Foculpods ? does it sound nicely balanced , any bass bloat .

Tarzan
05-04-2010, 00:12
My Techie sits on an IKEA bookcase which holds records, and is made of laminated chipboard which is a hard surface, just like to say again quite an upgrade for me the Isonoes,:).

colinB
05-04-2010, 00:16
To be honest chris, my system has never sounded so good. I used to have B&W 601s in a small room so ive experienced bloat, not very nice.
Since moving to a larger room and using my TT as main source im really enjoying my music. I should really just go out and buy some discs but ive just ordered some merlin speaker cable which is supposed to be more neutral than the chord cable i presently use. We shall see. Some mods ive done have been amazing (mains cables) and others have been a waste of time. Plus ive been sitting on a Jelco 25ost i got second hand from stanford audio last september. I need to sort that out soon. And i have to sell some stuff to get funds for a PSU. That seems to be a given.
Im aware that sorbothane isnt regarded as it once was but i think your right and i should just forget about it.

colinB
05-04-2010, 00:27
Whats the best ikea unit for holding lps?

The Grand Wazoo
05-04-2010, 08:34
Sorry chris, i havent worked out how to upload pics yet.

Colin - read this it'll help you sort that out & pretty soon you'll be doing it in you sleep!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2

colinB
05-04-2010, 12:36
Thanks for that. I uploaded images onto photobucket and was ready to cut and paste an image to use as an avatar but on the forum site instead of asking for the img code per instructions, it asks for url of host site. Im not sure where to go from their

cuddles
05-04-2010, 15:55
Whats the best ikea unit for holding lps?

Expedit - it's almost tailor made for LPs. Make sure you remove the skirting board so it fits flush with your wall

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60071358

chris@panteg
05-04-2010, 17:26
To be honest chris, my system has never sounded so good. I used to have B&W 601s in a small room so ive experienced bloat, not very nice.
Since moving to a larger room and using my TT as main source im really enjoying my music. I should really just go out and buy some discs but ive just ordered some merlin speaker cable which is supposed to be more neutral than the chord cable i presently use. We shall see. Some mods ive done have been amazing (mains cables) and others have been a waste of time. Plus ive been sitting on a Jelco 25ost i got second hand from stanford audio last september. I need to sort that out soon. And i have to sell some stuff to get funds for a PSU. That seems to be a given.
Im aware that sorbothane isnt regarded as it once was but i think your right and i should just forget about it.

Hi Colin

In that case ' stick with the Foculpods , and can i suggest getting an armplate from Dave Cawley for your 250ST , an excellent upgrade on the techie arm :).

colinB
05-04-2010, 19:09
Yep i must buy an armboard. I was going to buy one at the show but i bought a mat instead, oh and lots of records.
Ive been putting this of because its such a big into the unknown DIY project for me i want everything to be right on the day.
Thanks for the IKEA link. That doesnt look like a bookcase to me it looks a nice big record case:)