PDA

View Full Version : FS: Cambridge audio 840a v2

bigmarty
23-03-2010, 19:58
Hi folks,

I'm selling my CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840A V2 in black, it's about 3 years old and in mint condition with no marks and in good working order, it comes with original box and packaging with manual and remote. I,m looking for £400 +£20 posted anywere in the UK

Thanks for looking

Marty :)

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/martinattullymet/HIFI/IMG_8567.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/martinattullymet/HIFI/IMG_8559.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/martinattullymet/HIFI/IMG_8562.jpg

scotty67
30-03-2010, 20:26
Shame it wasn't silver to match my cd player.....

DSJR
30-03-2010, 20:29
Don't believe the knockers, it's a bloomin' good amp and for £420 all in, it's fantastic value for money.. Hope you sold it :)

The Grand Wazoo
30-03-2010, 20:36
Surprised this hasn't been snapped up yet. This, folks, is a 'right proper' amp at a steal of a price when new. At this price.......well......!!!!

Reminds me of a recent thread I warmed up 'From the Grave' - I think the verdict there was that Richer Sounds are generally good eggs, so don't let the low prices fool you into thinking some of the kit isn't serious. This is some of that kit!

Marty, whip the lid off & take a photo of the insides - show 'em what they're getting for £400. That'll have 'em queuing up for it!

The Grand Wazoo
30-03-2010, 20:37
Dave, you posted that while I was typing - you tell 'em!

DSJR
30-03-2010, 20:43
I "tell 'em" too much and drop myself in deep doo-doo...

people have asked why AVI stopped making separates. Amps like this one were the reason, as the far-eastern build (by a computer firm apparently) keeps costs way dowm without sacrificing the basically good design. Even using a decent UK firm to make them (LS-Designs in AVI's case), they couldn't do something like this anywhere near the price.

I know, I know; it's not Marco's cuppa, but it's serious stuff and lacks the "exciting harshness" that besets lesser solid state products.

The Grand Wazoo
30-03-2010, 20:58
I've heard a couple of them & I think they're great for the cash. If this is the type of amp you're after (ie a new, biggish SS integrated), it's pretty much untouchable for the price.

scotty67
30-03-2010, 21:13
Don't believe the knockers, it's a bloomin' good amp and for £420 all in, it's fantastic value for money.. Hope you sold it :)

I was serious:) - I've had a new Cambridge Audio CD4SE which I bought over an Arcam Alpha 9 - even the Arcam dealer admitted there wasn't much in it!

A friend had one of the cheaper integrated amps which sounded as good as anything at double the price.

Good kit and extremely good vfm.

Themis
31-03-2010, 07:47
A very good ss amp, indeed, with balanced input and a steal for the price.
Happy selling, Marty ! :)

bigmarty
01-04-2010, 10:32
Hi folks

NOW SOLD

Thanks for looking.

going to a nice new home in Norfolk

Marty :)

webby
01-04-2010, 13:39
Well done Marty.

Out of interest, would it have wasted my Audiolab 8000S?

bigmarty
01-04-2010, 20:37
Hi Lee,
I couldn't say, but I must admit I always drooled :eyebrows: over the Audiolab amp when I had my first Denon Amp it looked the dog b*****s, and I never got to hear one so could never compare.

Marty

DSJR
01-04-2010, 20:52
The 8000S was a good £700 worth at the time, although the Myryad MI120 was a friendlier sounding product with an optional good phono stage. This latter was a safe on speaker shorts too, a relay cutting the output for a second or two before attempting to re-engage as the 8000S did.

I rather suspect the 840A V2 would eat both the above alive though, hence the modern Audiolab models selling for far less..

The Grand Wazoo
01-04-2010, 22:23
Don't know about the Myryad as I've not even seen one outside of a photo, but I have been witness to the delights of most of the Audiolabs since about '86 & I know which I'd have. Neither are products I've ever considered owning myself, but if I had a gun to my head, I'd make a bee-line for the Cambridge.

DSJR
02-04-2010, 19:52
Chris Evans who co-founded A&R Cambridge, co-founded Myryad and if I say the MI120 was a fully updated A60 with the same charm but more power and clarity, that may give you an idea of how well it sounds.

All of these UK made integrated amps look over-priced compared to current Cambridge amps now though.

The Grand Wazoo
29-03-2013, 00:15
Have you taken leave of your senses, man? I thought you only recommended stuff that the other Dave sells, Dave?
Can't trust anyone these days.