PDA

View Full Version : Erm, Another 1210 Query Thread...

Gavin F
23-03-2010, 14:40
Hi all,

This is my second post here after my addition to the "hello" section and looking forward to some helpful advice.

I guess I should start my query with a bit of background about me and my current situation. I'm a 29 year "mature" student, I returned to education nearly two years ago and needless to say, I'm pretty skint! However, having been off the hi-fi upgrade wagon since I started back at uni I'm going through (a slightly stronger than usual) pining for a TT upgrade. My Clearaudio Enotion was my first "proper" record player, I loved it to bits when i first got it and still do now. Hence, it is with slight trepidation that I am sounding out possible upgrade options.

The main issue with changing my Emotion is that any purchase/s will have to be funded from selling my Emotion TT and that I am considering selling my guitar amp and cab which unfortunately I do not have the time to use as much I once did, particularly in a live setting, so I'm thinking of going back to my dear old practice amp. Anyway, the long and the short of it is that I should hopefully be able to raise about £1200 from that little lot. Incidentally, this is highly speculative as I don't see many 2nd hand Emotion's for sale, but they retail at about £1100 these days so I guess £500 would be a fair price (although mine cost £550 five or six years ago when I got it!)?

Right, so I have done some digging around which has lead me here with queries about the Technics SL-1210 and the mods available for it although I am considering other options which I will also go into later. As I mentioned earlier I am exploring the upgrade choices with slight trepidation as I love my Emotion so much, but I also realise that there is a world of vinyl playback out there I haven't been in a position to explore. The point is, after flogging my beloved Emotion and my guitar amp rig I'd really want an appreciable improvement to my vinyl playback, you know, I want to be blown away. If that isn't achievable then I probably just won't bother! :)

Ok, so here's a list of what I see as my options, I would greatly appreciate opinions on the pro's/cons, in's and outs of these. I will also add my thoughts, feelings and questions as I go!:

1) Technics SL-1210 - I reckon with my budget I could possibly stretch to a new 1210, the Time Step PSU (is the cable from this to the TT long enough to site the PSU on a seperate shelf from the deck?) and a Jelco SA-750D from Sound HiFi, I am confident that with good instructions I could fit everything as I have some basic electronics skills and have wielded a soldering iron before. I currently run a AT-OC9ML/II so would continue with that. Finally, would I need to purchase the connecting cable for the arm or could I continue using my current phono interconnects as I do from the back of my Emotion's arm?

2) I had considered a tone arm upgrade for my Emotion, however from just selling my guitar gear I would not raise enough cash for the next step up in the Clearaudio range.

3) Michell Gyro SE - I could go 2nd hand for one of these, the dust cover is very appealing after the lack of one with my Emotion! However, I would need to buy a new hifi rack as this wouldn't fit on my current one. Not sure I could afford this unless I get a good second hand deal. Any ideas on the going rate?
A record dealer friend of mine runs one of these and I really like the sound, I am undecided if my OCD would get the better of me when setting up a suspended deck however.

4) Erm, I was sure there was something else but I think I've forgotten :doh: :lol:

5) This bit is over to you guys. Is there anything else I haven't considered? I am sure there ought to be a lot! Ideas, thoughts and suggestions as to other options extremely welcome!

Crikey, that's quite a lot to be getting on with so apologies for bombarding you all with questions. I am very much looking forward to hearing what you guys reckon!

All the best,

Gavin :cool:

Edited to Add: P.S. I wanted to re-affirm what I was saying about budget. What I can spend is what I can raise from selling and it is highly unlikely that I will be in a position to make further upgrades for a long, long time (I'm studying architecture)...

Jason P
23-03-2010, 17:17
Gavin,

If you go the 1210 route speak to Dave C at SoundHifi re the arm - I may be speaking out of turn here but I think the Jelco 250 is preferred with your OC9 than the 750... might save you some beer tokens!

Jason

Gavin F
23-03-2010, 17:26
Thanks Jason, I'd be lieing if I said I hadn't lurked here a short while reading tons of info about the 1210 and arms etc and I think I recall seeing that.....thing is I think the 750 looks very cool However, I am an idiot and I need to remind myself of that sometimes :lolsign: money is very tight so that decision wouldn't be taken lightly if I did go that route.

Thanks again for your input.

DSJR
23-03-2010, 17:52
The 750 has adjustable damping, so the increased mass shouldn't be an issue. The standard arm should take the OC9 as long as you replace the headshell, if that helps.

The Techie NEEDS careful isolation/new feet and a suitable mat FIRST IMO, the Timestep and bearing can come later.

At present, I'd consider a Techie I think, as it's solidly made and will hold its value well. the Clearaudio may generate loads of "Emotion," but it looks like a "Me Too" Rega in fancier colours and with a price premium too... The Techie is a far more sophisticated beastie IMO...

Gavin F
23-03-2010, 18:16
Hmm, read some stuff about headshells too and their various characteristics...any recommendations or at least idea of price range? Same for feet and mat to be honest. I'm just trying to cost up different options. Speaking of mats, I am sure I read on here about one where the record slightly sticks to it? Is that ok? I'm of course very cautious when it comes to my lovely precious records! :)

I think my first post sounds like I am leaning to the 1210, and I probably am at the moment, but still very much open to suggestions :)

The bearing I think would be very much one for the distant future!

I just remembered my question I forgot to ask. Is there any major difference between the different Mk versions of the 1210? In particular I am curious as to if there is anything I ought to know to inform a potential purchase.

Cheers,

The Vinyl Adventure
23-03-2010, 19:13
i used my oc9 on a at mg10 headshell on my techie.. was better than the normal headshall but didnt compare it to anything else.. that was on the standard arm
im now going for the jelco 250 - dave speakes highly of the oc9/250 combo on the techie.. so thats an option...

The Vinyl Adventure
23-03-2010, 19:13
i used my oc9 on a at mg10 headshell on my techie.. was better than the normal headshall but didnt compare it to anything else.. that was on the standard arm
im now going for the jelco 250 - dave speakes highly of the oc9/250 combo on the techie.. so thats an option...

Gavin F
23-03-2010, 19:24
Cheers Hamish, duly noted. :)

MartinT
23-03-2010, 20:52
My AT33PTG works very well in the SA250ST so I'd guess (but haven't tried) the OC9 would be an equally good match. You could certainly save on the cost of a 750 here.

Of the feet and mat, I'd say go for the Foculpod feet which do a much better job than the Techie feet and cost little. They represent the most bang for buck upgrade. However, you could maybe squeeze the mat and feet for the difference in price between the Jelco arms and that would give you a big gain.

Gavin F
23-03-2010, 21:07
That's good to know, I think in my heart of hearts I know the 250 is the more sensible decision.

Heartening to see feet can be had for cheap! Crikey, never had to worry about headshells, feet mats and the like before, there is an awful lot to look into!

Thanks again for everyone's input.

The Grand Wazoo
23-03-2010, 21:12
Gavin,
Before everyone takes too much for granted that you will choose the Technics (& it'll get some overwhelming support on the shores of AoS), I'd suggest you try to find a way of hearing it & the Gyro side by side.

The Vinyl Adventure
23-03-2010, 21:21
That's good to know, I think in my heart of hearts I know the 250 is the more sensible decision.

Heartening to see feet can be had for cheap! Crikey, never had to worry about headshells, feet mats and the like before, there is an awful lot to look into!

Thanks again for everyone's input.

jelco 250 has a static headshell too... one less thing to worry about! :)

chris is probably right... there are a lot of exitable techie users here
one of my main reasons for getting the techie was so i could fiddle with it without to much chance of breaking anything...
(im currently having a spare top bit resprayed in what ever mad colour i decide on... there arnt many tt's you can do that painlessly with)

MartinT
23-03-2010, 21:31
You won't need to worry about headshells with a 250 :)

Dave Cawley
23-03-2010, 21:34
Gavin

If you read Hi Fi World, you can see I have experience of both. Come to the Hi Fi Show show this weekend and buy me a drink?

Dave

The Grand Wazoo
23-03-2010, 21:37
If you read Hi Fi World, you can see I have experience of both.

There ya go, Gavin!

chris@panteg
24-03-2010, 00:45
Hi Gavin

It would be so easy for me to encourage you to go out and get a 1210 ' and do this and that to it ' but i notice in your 1st post you say you love the Emotion ' so its doing something for you ! so why change it ? .

I think it would be good if you had a chat with Dave ' as he sell's Clearaudio's too and rate's them .

Hypnotoad
24-03-2010, 03:49
chris@panteg has a valid point.

You need to hear the Emotion next to a Techie that's your first step.

Why spend all that cash in the dark?

Until you do that why even consider changing, there is a possibility that you won't like the presentation of the Techie.

Sacrilege I know but it's horses for courses.;)

Gavin F
24-03-2010, 10:06
Hi all, thanks so much for all your honest thoughts!

Is that the London show this weekend? Alas, I have a huge submission deadline for my course on Monday and its looking like I'll be doing all-nighters from now until then drawing, and drawing and drawing......... Would have been great to meet to you though Dave...hmm, I'll see if I can make it happen but it aint looking likely sadly :(

Indeed, it would be great to hear the Techie side by side my Emotion. I have heard 1210s quite a few times in domestic settings, but not through my hifi. I have a friend locally who owns a couple actually, I think I may have to get him over for a comparison!

As for the reason for change? Well, itchy feet, a change is as good as a rest and all that ;) I just fancy something different to look at and listen to really.

As it happens there has been a recent development in that I have the opportunity to purchase a Technics SP-15 with a VPI JMW-12 tonearm. The deck was apparently NOS until 2003 and only lightly used since then. I know and very much trust the seller and am just waiting for a price from him. Having done some research I am very tempted as it also ticks my "classic" hifi boxes (I had been looking at PL-71's and even Transcriptor decks prior to coming round to the 1210), all depends if the price is right, will wait and see!

Thanks again guys.

chris@panteg
24-03-2010, 10:29
Hi Gavin

I think i know what you mean there ' my friend John is a college Lecturer and i remember his strife trying to get through an MA :eek:.

Regarding the SP15 ' that's very interesting and again it might worth seeking Dave's advice as he knows these deck's very well , if you can't make the show
why not give him a ring or PM .

Gavin F
24-03-2010, 11:03
Oh man, the Masters is yet to come! At least it'll nearly all be over by then...(I am enjoying it really)

That's a good idea, I think I probably will, I really need to get on with some work right now though!! :)

MartinT
24-03-2010, 11:41
I studied for my PGCE over two years while holding down a full-time job. It was very difficult balancing the time with work and family committments. I am so glad that I'm not doing that any more, although I do fancy studying for an MCSE as it's appropriate to my IT job now.

Gavin F
24-03-2010, 11:44
Well if you're in a position do go for it then go for it! Although it'll be interesting to see how keen I am to go back into education after my work placement mind you...