PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Gavin F
23-03-2010, 06:54
Hi everyone,

First time poster, erm shortish time lurker really. Found this place via some other fora and I very much look forward to finding a bit more about record decks. I don't know if my knowledge of hifi is enough to contribute here but hopefully I can give something back in the "music" section. Speaking of which, I'm into all sorts really, I guess mainly or traditionally 60s and 70s rock, dabbling with a bit of prog but not going too far ;), I very much like Krautrock however. But, I also dig punk, jazz, country, 60s garage and getting quite into rock 'n' roll and rockabilly at the moment.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello :)

Edited to add: I thought I should mention, records are my thing!

technobear
23-03-2010, 16:04
Hi Gavin,

Welcome to AoS :)

Some nice kit there. I owned some Celius Esw until recently. Great speakers, especially with some judicious crossover component upgrades. A mate had Antal 202 for a long while and I really enjoyed those too.

Like many here, you have excellent musical taste (I'm pretending I didn't see 'country' :lol: ). I like blues but don't like it to stray too much towards country. Once the banjos start I'm outta' there!

So how far into prog is too far? (as if there could be such a concept :rolleyes: ).

Gavin F
23-03-2010, 16:23
Thanks for the welcome Chris :cool:

Yes I have heard about the crossover upgrades, a it scared I'll break them though and even if I don't then ruining any re-sale value...I'm probably wrong though! :)

Ha ha, yeah often get reaction about the ol' country music, but as with most (all?) genres its a very broad church with plenty of rubbish but also plenty of great stuff! Talking in general terms I can see how it could be perceived as an "acquired taste" shall we say :lolsign: However, if you're in the right frame of mind (you're an alcoholic, your wife has left you, your dog has died and you've lost your job) you can get right into it!.............joking

As for Prog, well I know what I like and I know it when I hear it. "Too far" for me though I would say would be the likes of ELP and Yes....sorry if you ran ELP and Yes fan! :) All that kind of stuff gets a bit..I dunno, decadent/baroque for me. I'm happy to be shown the way though and am just as happy to share stuff I dig too! :)

Thanks again for the welcome pal.

Spectral Morn
23-03-2010, 19:55
Hi Gavin

Welcome to AoS.

Have fun and enjoy....:)

Some photos of your kit for the Gallery would be nice..please.

As to Prog..try Porcupine Tree more recent stuff and work your way back.

Early ELP is best imho, and, well as to Yes, I like all their albums bar a few of the more recent ones; which are treading water imho.

Regards D S D L

Gavin F
23-03-2010, 20:28
Thanks Neil, I'll try and get some recent photos of my kit up tomorrow....actually I might have some somewhere...

I'll check out Porcupine Tree, name rings a bell but can't say I can place anything by them. If it's on the heavier side of the prog sound then I'll be happy :)

Spectral Morn
23-03-2010, 20:33
Thanks Neil, I'll try and get some recent photos of my kit up tomorrow....actually I might have some somewhere...

I'll check out Porcupine Tree, name rings a bell but can't say I can place anything by them. If it's on the heavier side of the prog sound then I'll be happy :)

Yes it is. The later stuff (last few albums) Earlier stuff is a wee bit more chill out, still worth checking out though.

I look forward to seeing the photos.

Regards D S D L

Gavin F
23-03-2010, 20:40
Cool, sounds perfect, I'll definitely check them out.

I managed to find a pic I posted on a vinyl forum when I joined, so you can't really see the hifi that well, just a taster until I can take a decent pic or two tomorrow I'll put those in the correct thread ;) ):

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/hanktohendrix/DSC00374.jpg

Spectral Morn
23-03-2010, 20:42
Thanks Gavin

I look forward to seeing the rest :)

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
26-03-2010, 21:25
Hi Gavin, welcome to AoS. My LP storage is similarly cube-based, and I used to have a lot of fun swapping the cover to be "framed" up front - there's some good hairstyles in your current "front & centre!" selection! ;-)

Afraid I have no knowledge of your kit personally, but if your passion is the music then you're alright in my book :)

Enjoy the forum, look forward to your contributions.

Jonboy
26-03-2010, 22:58
Hi Gavin and welcome, i can do country as well, shhh don't tell the others, they are just jealous of our good taste :ner:

Beechwoods
27-03-2010, 06:23
Hi Gavin! Nice to see some Burrito's in your wall of vinyl pic! I'm a big fan of The Byrds and associated stuff; Chris Hillman's side projects, Herb Pedersen, the fantastic Clarence White, Kentucky Colonels etc. Nowt wrong with a bit of country, or even better, bluegrass, IMHO!

Glad you've decided to get stuck in!

Barry
27-03-2010, 09:23
Welcome to AoS Gavin.

Good to see some Groundhogs, Syd Barratt and Led Zepplin in your collection. But Jason King?!! :eek:

Regards

Beechwoods
27-03-2010, 09:28
That one must be for the laydiees ;)

The Grand Wazoo
27-03-2010, 09:32
So what are the other two albums on the bottom row?

Gavin F
27-03-2010, 09:34
Cheers guys for the warm welcome :) Nice to be in the company of folks with good music taste ;)

The Grand Wazoo
27-03-2010, 09:40
Sorry, how rude of me - Welcome to the Art of Sound, Gavin!!

So what are those albums?
On another note, that lump of softwood under your turntable: it's very cupped (that's a timber trade word for bent!) are you still able to get the deck properly levelled on that? What do you find it does to the sound by having that in place?

Gavin F
27-03-2010, 10:13
Oops, for some reason I didn't see the other replies when I posted, sorry about that...

Beechwoods thanks for the country pointers, I've never really explored The Byrds associated stuff before so those names are much appreciated! Got to love the Burritos though, what a band. I really want to get a Nudie suit one day...

The Zep and the Groundhogs are two of my favourite bands, particularly the 'Hogs out of the two for the past few years really. I reckon "Thank Christ for the Bomb" is probably my favourite, but I do also have a BBC Transcription disc of them in session which I'm rather fond of!

Peter Wyngarde, bit of a crazy old bugger if that album is anything to go by! Apparently he got approached by (I forget which record Co.) to record an album which they expected to sell millions of off the back Jason King. However, they gave him pretty much free reign and he created that album. A bit weird, a bit controversial but some cool tracks on there, in particular "Neville Thumbcatch". I believe the record got pulled pretty quickly.

Other ones on the bottom row, well continuing the Peter Wyngarde talking/singing tip there's my original "The Transformed Man" by William Shatner and one of my pride and joys my UK 1st press of "White Light/White Heat" by the Velvet Underground, what a band!!

As for the wood, erm yes, it is very bent! Someone recommended I put some heavy wood under the TT on some squash balls cut in half. Can't say I've really noticed a difference to be honest. The wood was from an old kitchen worktop we had ripped out when we moved in. I have got the deck level, miraculously the deck kind of straddles the raised centre of the slab of wood. As the TT has cone feet too its alright, all confirmed with the spirit level. Definitely all level and correct sir! :)

Gavin F
27-03-2010, 10:13
Double Post!

The Grand Wazoo
27-03-2010, 10:25
Ah yes. Now I see it's the Velvet Underground!

Marco
27-03-2010, 10:57
Hey, Chris, it's not long now until your 3000th post.... I wonder what pearls of wisdom it will contain? ;)

Make it memorable!

Marco.

Ali Tait
27-03-2010, 11:19
He's got a bit to go to catch up with you!

The Grand Wazoo
27-03-2010, 11:22
Hey, Chris, it's not long now until your 3000th post.... I wonder what pearls of wisdom it will contain?

Blimey guv'nor is it really?

Make it memorable!

..............pressure's on then!

The Grand Wazoo
27-03-2010, 11:56
..........anyway, it's more likely to be a whirl of piss-dom than a pearl of wisdom!

Gavin F
27-03-2010, 13:08
Ooh, four more to go! Will I get the honour of the 3000th post in my welcome thread!

...who knows

Marco
27-03-2010, 13:15
....The suspenders are killing me ;)

Marco.

Stratmangler
27-03-2010, 13:45
..........anyway, it's more likely to be a whirl of piss-dom than a pearl of wisdom!

You can't beat a good Spoonerism !
Coincidentally, did you know that Bill Spooner (formally guitarist in The Tubes) is directly descended from the Reverend William Archibald Spooner (inventor of the Spoonerism).

Stratmangler
27-03-2010, 13:48
Hi Gavin

Welcome to the forum.

Gavin F
27-03-2010, 13:50
....The suspenders are killing me ;)

Marco. :)

Cheers Chris, and thanks for the fact too!

Marco
27-03-2010, 14:12
You can't beat a good Spoonerism !
Coincidentally, did you know that Bill Spooner (formally guitarist in The Tubes) is directly descended from the Reverend William Archibald Spooner (inventor of the Spoonerism).

...And that, my friends, is today's FACTOID :)

Marco.