PDA

View Full Version : Project VC-S MK2 RCM - Review

Bigman80
17-05-2018, 12:33
Well, you're probably wondering why there's a picture of an Okki Nokki instead of the Pro-Ject VC-S MK2

I'll explain,

The first unit arrived from Juno and was quickly review as being very good. Unfortunately, my very limited experience of RCMs meant I'd not realised there was an issue with the vacuum function. The lps were taking 10 to 20 rotations to remove the cleaning fluid and regardless of adjustment to the platter height, I couldn't get it to function any better.

I returned the unit and a replacement was sent. This one arrived damaged to a corner and I then reluctantly agreed to a partial refund to keep the unit. I set it up and cleaned a couple of records. The vacuum was strong and it was touch dry in 3-4 rotations. However, there was an issue. The spindle was loose. The records rock back and forth and side to side. I contacted Juno and informed them of this. A full refund was offered but no replacement was offered. Obviously they didn't want to keep paying postage in both directions and then having faulty stock to shift so I agreed the refund.

I decided to get some advice on where to go next. The recommendation was the Okki Nokki MK2. I bought one (£435 at HiFiX) and it's cleaned 30 lps without issue. Record is dry on 3 rotations and I'm over the moon with it. Well worth saving up a bit extra.

Everything from the packaging to the build quality is better. I wholeheartedly recommend getting an Okki Nokki.

I won't touch anything else from Pro-Ject. More trouble than it's worth.

Juno.co.uk, were fantastic. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180530/7cb9ea6bea54b89f2c22e03513640298.jpg

Roy S
17-05-2018, 12:47
Got one of those for Xmas, I found it a little messy (or maybe that's just me) but effective.

Bigman80
17-05-2018, 13:20
Got one of those for Xmas, I found it a little messy (or maybe that's just me) but effective.Messy when I put too much fluid on but when I get that right it's spot on. Very effective.

julesd68
17-05-2018, 16:43
You shouldn't leave records out of their sleeves like that - they'll get dusty you know ... :D

Bigman80
17-05-2018, 16:52
You shouldn't leave records out of their sleeves like that - they'll get dusty you know ... :D

I'll have to clean it!!! :)

struth
17-05-2018, 17:20
A good rcm is an absolute must if your serious about records. My moth is still going strong and cost nothing on parts etc since I got it many years ago. Making your own fluid reduces costs further

Bigman80
17-05-2018, 17:27
A good rcm is an absolute must if your serious about records. My moth is still going strong and cost nothing on parts etc since I got it many years ago. Making your own fluid reduces costs furtherYou're right Grant. I hadnt realised how important it is to have one untill I started spinning some clean vinyl. I won't be without one again!

Shadow Moses
17-05-2018, 18:22
The best way I found with mine is to drop the spindle to it's lowest level, 2/3 revolutions and the records dry

Bigman80
17-05-2018, 18:28
Drop the spindle? Do tell!
The best way I found with mine is to drop the spindle to it's lowest level, 2/3 revolutions and the records dry

Shadow Moses
17-05-2018, 19:19
Small alan key under the bottom clamp (you may have to unscrew the bottom clamp to get to it) it shouldn't take that many revs to dry, you could be adding static

Bigman80
17-05-2018, 20:06
Small alan key under the bottom clamp (you may have to unscrew the bottom clamp to get to it) it shouldn't take that many revs to dry, you could be adding staticWell, I thought it seemed a little long winded and watched a few YouTube Vids to see how everyone else fared. I'll have a look at that later. Cheers matey!

CageyH
17-05-2018, 20:20
20 revolutions?
I am glad I have an Okki Nokki mk2. Just over one revolution each way and I have a dry record.

Bigman80
17-05-2018, 20:21
Well, based on the fact there an adjustment that may contribute to its effectiveness, I may end up replacing the numbers I've quoted. Enjoy the Okki Nokki.
20 revolutions?
I am glad I have an Okki Nokki mk2. Just over one revolution each way and I have a dry record.

CageyH
17-05-2018, 20:30
If the vacuum arm makes good contact, then how will dropping the spindle help?
What solution are you using to clean the records?

Bigman80
17-05-2018, 21:13
If the vacuum arm makes good contact, then how will dropping the spindle help?
What solution are you using to clean the records?Well, I think it is making good contact but having read Neil's suggestion I looked about online. A few people have said the same thing so there might be something in it. Maybe it's not quite level or something. I'll have a closer look later.

I'm using the concentrate Project "Wash-it" solution diluted with water. It came with the unit.

struth
17-05-2018, 21:15
The moth dries in one turn, although I give it 2 usually. certainly shouldnt take any more than 2 or 3.

Simon_LDT
18-05-2018, 14:19
It shouldn't take 20 revolutions to dry. I've had mine since the 2nd batch back in March 2017 and it has always taken no more than 4-6 max. I usually have it vacuum for 2 revolutions each direction and it does the job. If I've put too much fluid on, I'll do 1 extra pass each way and that sorts it.

BTW, not sure if the wash-it fluid is still the same mix but I know they had to change it as it was causing customs issues. I believe the batch mine is from contains no isopropyl. I chucked it away and instead used some of The Right One fluid which is excellent stuff.

Bigman80
18-05-2018, 14:22
It shouldn't take 20 revolutions to dry. I've had mine since the 2nd batch back in March 2017 and it has always taken no more than 4-6 max. I usually have it vacuum for 2 revolutions each direction and it does the job. If I've put too much fluid on, I'll do 1 extra pass each way and that sorts it.

BTW, not sure if the wash-it fluid is still the same mix but I know they had to change it as it was causing customs issues. I believe the batch mine is from contains no isopropyl. I chucked it away and instead used some of The Right One fluid which is excellent stuff.Thanks Simon. I'm going to Do a video later so everyone can see what is happening. I'm starting to wonder if it needs to go back. Regardless of how well it cleans in the end, if it's not doing it correctly I will return it.

julesd68
18-05-2018, 14:52
Oliver - did you watch the distributor's demo video?

They just do one revolution each way ...

Looks like your machine has an issue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRW3_Bwi7JU

Bigman80
18-05-2018, 15:59
Oliver - did you watch the distributor's demo video?

They just do one revolution each way ...

Looks like your machine has an issue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRW3_Bwi7JUAh, shit. It does look like that doesn't it.

Bigman80
18-05-2018, 16:08
Had a chat with the supplier (Juno.co.uk) and they also think that something isn't quite right and have suggested I return it and they will send me a replacement. Very pleased with their attitude and customer service. I'll update the thread when I get the new one!

Thanks for the feedback fellas, I'd have stuck it out as I didn't know any better. Hopefully the new one is up to scratch.

Mike Reed
19-05-2018, 11:49
I s'pose different machines have different levels of suction, but my VPI 16.5 needs only two rotations max. (and is specified for such). I've found that regardless of individual method adopted, two things are paramount, apart from using enough fluid. The soak (2 minutes +) and the rest after vacuuming to fully dry the record by evaporation (1 min. upwards depending on ambient temp. and fluid mix used).

CageyH
19-05-2018, 13:26
Had a chat with the supplier (Juno.co.uk) and they also think that something isn't quite right and have suggested I return it and they will send me a replacement. Very pleased with their attitude and customer service. I'll update the thread when I get the new one!

Thanks for the feedback fellas, I'd have stuck it out as I didn't know any better. Hopefully the new one is up to scratch.

I hope it works better than the first one.
20 rotations is just going to build up static (and wear out the fabric on the arm) in no time.

Bigman80
19-05-2018, 13:29
I agree, Kevin. If it's no better it'll go back and I'll get something else.
I hope it works better than the first one.
20 rotations is just going to build up static (and wear out the fabric on the arm) in no time.

Clive197
10-08-2019, 11:57
I appear to be looking at an old thread but I think my experiences with a Mk1 Pro-Ject RCM will interest some of you. I use the Art du Son fluid and have found it excellent. I had cleaned about 100 records and in March this year wanted to clean a new record but my machine motor went very, very noisy (sounds like the motor brushes have failed). So that has gone back to Henley Designs and I now have the Mk2. The machine is significantly quieter than the original and the vacuum is better. Using the Art du Son I have found that the record will dry in 2 revolutions, 1 each way. I leave the record sitting on the small platter for about 30 seconds so that the very small amount of fluid left evaporates completely. An excellent machine which is good value for money and can be obtained for about £300.

mac72
11-08-2019, 09:45
Fully agree , I've had MK1 which was good and quite now I use MK2 and it's excellent value for money , I've must have cleaned 300-400 records so far with no issues

Bigman80
11-08-2019, 10:30
Fully agree , I've had MK1 which was good and quite now I use MK2 and it's excellent value for money , I've must have cleaned 300-400 records so far with no issues

This is good to hear. I had two of these and neither worked properly. The Okki Noki i bought to replace it really showed the way in terms of performance in comparison

rmcin626
11-08-2019, 14:43
Thinking of buying one of these myself.