PDA

View Full Version : FS: Carbon Fibre / End Grain Balsa Wood replacement feet

Bourneendboy
13-05-2018, 19:26
After looking around for some replacement feet for my Caiman SEG / Allo Digione Player / Longdog Audio PSU, I decided to make my own based on some well known replacement feet that I have used in the past with great effect. I have used a Carbon Fibre ring rather than 3x CF rods.

They really have proved to be the icing on the cake for my system, so thought I'd use up the rest of the materials and offer them for sale here and PFM.

Hopefully the price of £15.00 for a set of 3 including UK postage is a fair offer, I have 11 sets of 3 in total. If anyone puchases a set and is not 100% satisfied, I'll be happy to refund less the return postage.

They are 18mm high overall and 19mm diameter. I've not tested the weight loading, but would hazard a guess of up to 10kg per set would be safe.

https://i.imgur.com/aTcHUAy.jpg?4

mad-moon
13-05-2018, 21:49
Interesting...good luck with your sale...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/982/42089858341_977a510118_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/278kwuM)aTcHUAy (https://flic.kr/p/278kwuM) by alan moon (https://www.flickr.com/photos/145382488@N02/), on Flickr

Bourneendboy
15-05-2018, 20:37
10 sets remaining:)

Parcelmonkey
16-05-2018, 20:57
Hi,
A quick question. excuse my ignorance but what's the benefits, sonically I mean?
Also, I'm looking at an amp to purchase, just a cheapie on line, that doesn't have feet fitted at all. Can I just rest this unit on these feet and have done with it, or would that not work? No isolation, or too much vibration etc...

Thanks for helping out an audio technically bereft fella! :)

Bourneendboy
16-05-2018, 21:45
Hi,
A quick question. excuse my ignorance but what's the benefits, sonically I mean?
Also, I'm looking at an amp to purchase, just a cheapie on line, that doesn't have feet fitted at all. Can I just rest this unit on these feet and have done with it, or would that not work? No isolation, or too much vibration etc...

Thanks for helping out an audio technically bereft fella! :)

Just sit your amp on top or use a tiny amount of Blutac to hold them in place.

Try some and see what you think, if you don't think they improve the sound send them back to me for a refund:)

Cheers,

Bill

Bourneendboy
19-05-2018, 20:16
I'm going to try a different tact here as I guess people are nervous of buying an unknown item.

If anyone would like to try them, I'll pay £2 into your PP account and then send you 3x isolators free of charge. If you want to keep them, pay me £15 plus the £2 into my account. If you don't like them, use the £2 to post them back:)

struth
19-05-2018, 20:59
Sounds a good deal. No lose. [emoji106]

lilolee
20-05-2018, 10:09
No affiliation, but these are similar to Something Solid Dissipating Feet which are well thought of.

In fact from Lenco Heaven
"As a bit of an update I went for soft and squidgy first with a set of Vibrapods pinched from under my cdp, didn't like these to much, made the bass a bit soft and poorly defined. Next up a set of Something Solid Dissipating Feet, these were much, much better I think I will stick with these for now."

Bourneendboy
20-05-2018, 17:25
No affiliation, but these are similar to Something Solid Dissipating Feet which are well thought of.

In fact from Lenco Heaven
"As a bit of an update I went for soft and squidgy first with a set of Vibrapods pinched from under my cdp, didn't like these to much, made the bass a bit soft and poorly defined. Next up a set of Something Solid Dissipating Feet, these were much, much better I think I will stick with these for now."

They are my take on the Dissipating feet - didn't want to copy them:)

Bourneendboy
20-05-2018, 17:26
I'm going to try a different tact here as I guess people are nervous of buying an unknown item.

If anyone would like to try them, I'll pay £2 into your PP account and then send you 3x isolators free of charge. If you want to keep them, pay me £15 plus the £2 into my account. If you don't like them, use the £2 to post them back:)

Bump for my offer above.

Bourneendboy
23-05-2018, 19:31
7 sets remaining fellas, let me know if you would like to take me up on my offer.

Bourneendboy
28-05-2018, 08:26
Bump

Bourneendboy
01-06-2018, 17:55
Bump again.

Everyone who has had a set so far has been very happy with them:)

Bourneendboy
06-06-2018, 18:25
A few sets still remaining.

Bourneendboy
09-06-2018, 10:55
Last few now reduced to £10.00 for a set of 3 including postage.

jandl100
12-06-2018, 20:20
... and available on eBay. :doh:
Which I saw and bought before I saw this thread!

Thanks Bill, I'll let you know how I get on with them.

It's the balsa wood thing that attracted me.
About 25 years ago (ish - maybe 30 or more) there was an Italian gent demoing his garage-built speakers in a small room at a London hifi show.
The speaker cabinets and drivers were made of balsa wood, which seemed crazy .... until you heard them.
The most astonishingly natural mids I had ever heard,

So, maybe these balsa feet will recapture a bit of that magic?
Here's hoping. :)

jandl100
14-06-2018, 10:52
They've arrived!
Cute little things.

Put 3 under my new Herron valve preamp -- whoosh, that may well be the best £tenner or so I have spent on the hifi!
There is clearly better image focus and immediacy to the sound. More presence, more 'in the room'ness to the sound.

I've now put the 2nd set of 3 under the PSU for my DAC.
Bloody hell, it's got better again. :mental:

Have you got another 2 sets? - I'd like to put them under my monoblocks!

Thanks Bill - I believe in balsa :D

Bourneendboy
14-06-2018, 11:43
Cheers Jerry!

That's 10 sets sold and everyone has had similar comments to your own - maybe time to make up another batch:)

Bourneendboy
14-06-2018, 12:16
All gone!

Many thanks to everyone who has bought these and given me your very positive feedback, I really appreciate it!

I'm tempted to make another batch of these if anyone has missed out and would like to give them a try:)

Bourneendboy
26-06-2018, 20:49
3 more sets now available:)

Bourneendboy
01-07-2018, 08:30
Final reduction on the remaining 3 sets -£7.50 per set including postage or £20.00 for all 3 sets including postage.

I have had these under my kit and they have a small amount of bluetac residue on top, otherwise all perfect!

jandl100
01-07-2018, 08:33
It's well worth a try with these, folks.
Still using a set under my pre, very worthwhile improvement imo in image focus, also in overall clarity.

Not gotten around to trying under my power amps yet, that will take a bit of kit shuffling.

kambo_z
01-07-2018, 13:13
I will have them, pm sent