PDA

View Full Version : FS - Reference Linear DC Power Supply PSU

julesd68
12-05-2018, 16:59
Reference Audiophile Linear DC Power Supply PSU for DACs / streamers / amps / turntables / laptops etc

This reference audiophile DC power supply is based on the top of the range DC3 as made by Custom HiFi Cables Ltd which now retails for £540!

My price is £220 firm, cash on collection from Highgate North London.
I would prefer collection but courier delivery is possible.

The only difference between my PSU and the DC3 is that mine uses the earlier version 1.0 of the CHC-REG module. The designer has told me that this doesn’t make a massive difference but could be upgraded if the new owner desires. The PSU is in superb physical condition and of course, working perfectly. Here are the full specs of the DC3; this heavyweight beast weighs in at a very substantial 7kg!

www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/home/power-supplies/dc3-power-supply

PLEASE NOTE **IMPORTANT**

At the moment the PSU is set to 24VDC. To use at a different voltage simply return to the designer who will set it to your desired output for a modest fee. PM me for details. You can also specify what kind of DC connector you require. I will include my DC lead which you can have modified to your desired connection (it has 2 pin DIN at the moment) this will save you buying a new one. NB as you can see in the photo of the rear there are 2 switches required to turn the PSU on.

Here is an edited version of features and specs from the above webpage -

This is a truly no-compromise PSU, with a performance well beyond that of the DC2 or DC1, and it is still very reasonably priced compared to our competitors. The DC3 is particularly suitable for powering equipment like audio PCs, NAS units, streamers and laptops - we can fit the DC3 with one of our new Boost Modules, which will increase the maximum output current of the unit to a hefty 5A of continuous current.

We have specially developed a very low-noise DC power supply, which is FULLY LINEAR and NOT a switched-mode supply. Switched mode supplies work by turning a high voltage on and off very quickly to simulate a lower voltage, this puts a large amount of high frequency noise into the output current. This is fine for PCs and laptops, but rubbish for hi-fi use, you can hear the loss of sound quality when you compare one to our linear PSUs! Our fully linear supply uses no high-frequency control whatsoever; instead we dissipate excess energy as a very small amount of harmless heat (usually only a few degrees above room temperature).

Upgrades of the DC3 compared to the DC2/DC1

• Uprated audio-quality toroidal transformer (with a significantly higher power rating that that of the DC2 transformer, letting it provide a lot more ‘punch’ much more easily)

• Completely new design of rectifier and reservoir capacitor board, mounted separately to the transformer and the regulator module(s) to remove mechanical vibrations and electrical interference. An improved configuration of rectifier is used, which gives an extremely low ground impedance for the PSU, which in turn means the PSU can supply a constant voltage more easily under transient or difficult load conditions; the output is extremely low noise and ripple-free

• Larger reservoir capacitors (twice the size of that used in the CHC-CAP and four times of that used in the DC2), for much better smoothing of the AC input on the regulator board. We use Nichicon KG audio grade reservoir capacitors, which are very highly regarded in the audio community

• Capacitor board and regulator board are both separately filtered for superior noise rejection

• Nichicon KZ ‘Muse’ capacitors are used throughout the regulator board - these are some of the finest audio-grade electrolytic capacitors available, in fact they are the absolute best caps that Nichicon make! They are extremely highly-regarded, and are used to great effect in the new design

• Very low-noise metal film resistors are used throughout the design

• Wima polypropylene and polyester capacitors used at critical decoupling points - we use more than in the original DC2 design. Ceramic capacitors are used for critical RF-frequency filtering, which polyester/polypropylene capacitors are not good at

• Silver-plated interconnection wires are used for optimum transfer of power around the different sections of the circuit boards

• A new circuit layout is used, to optimise flow of power from one section of the circuit board to the next

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/943/42012978832_fb5b5386aa_c.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/980/28184464888_d4bddc1b37_c.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/825/42012979182_144cf24af4_c.jpg

julesd68
18-05-2018, 14:30
still available

julesd68
28-05-2018, 14:11
Bank Holiday bump :)

Edward
28-05-2018, 15:27
Looks interesting Julian. I may have a use for it on a project but not sure yet if I proceed on that project. Just collecting info for now.

Three questions if I may:
1. What size is the DC plug? 2.1mm or 2.5mm?
2. Is the centre pin wired negative or positive?
3. Is the Boost Module (to give 5A) fitted?

As I say just collection information, so if anyone else comes along to buy it do go ahead, don't wait for me.

julesd68
28-05-2018, 17:33
Hi Edward, am away for a few days but will look into this for you on my return ...