PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Ireland

Valentiaman
09-05-2018, 13:04
Hello, I'm Stephen, I'm a Brit who has lived in Ireland for the last 20 years. I'm an award-winning photographer and teacher with 35 years experience, now living on the far west of County Kerry on an Island called Valentia (val-en-sha), hence my User Name.

I've been an audiophile for as long as I can remember, although I have stayed around the budget end of the spending ladder for most of the time. I'm hoping to get back into vinyl listening soon, and probably need to update either my Dual 505 turntable or my Cambridge Audio amp. I will be posting another thread about a problem I'm having with one or both of them, shortly.

Looking forward to a fun and educational time here.

Stephen Power

struth
09-05-2018, 13:16
Hi Stephen. Welcome to AoS.. sure folk will be able to advise. Nice countryside where you are. Lucky Man

walpurgis
09-05-2018, 13:16
Hi Stephen. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure members can advise on your problems. The Analogue Arts section is for record replay matters and the Blank Canvas area is good for amp discussions.

The name Valentia for your home is interesting. I wonder if it dates back to parts of Ireland being populated by migrants from Spain (possibly Moorish) in the historical past. There are a few Spanish name places. Mahon is another, there's one in Spain and one in Ireland.

Anyway, there's plenty going on here, so just get involved and enjoy yourself.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Valentiaman
09-05-2018, 13:33
Hi Grant and Geoff

Thanks very much for the welcome. The name of the Island comes from an early settlement on it called An Bhaile Inse ("mouth of the island"), which in Irish would be pronounced "Val-Insh". It's thought that this could have been reinterpreted as similar to the Spanish town Valencia by Englishmen and Spanish sailors. As you say, Geoff, there are a number of places where Spanish ships landed, including "Spanish Point" not too far away in County Clare.

I have a problem with low sound when playing the Dual 505 through a more modern Cambridge audio amp. Should I post this in the Turntable or amp forum, do you think?

Stephen

walpurgis
09-05-2018, 13:36
Start a thread in the Analogue Arts section as it relates to record playing.

Valentiaman
09-05-2018, 13:39
Thanks, I just posted in blank Canvas. I'll move it if I can.

walpurgis
09-05-2018, 13:42
Done it for you.

chris@panteg
10-05-2018, 06:28
Welcome, I visited Valentia back in 98, then on to Skellig Michael, the most amazing place I've ever visited, Luke's home in the last jedi.

Cahersiveen was great too with a music festival.

Valentiaman
10-05-2018, 10:58
Welcome, I visited Valentia back in 98, then on to Skellig Michael, the most amazing place I've ever visited, Luke's home in the last jedi.

Cahersiveen was great too with a music festival.

Hi Chris, thank for the welcome. Actually I was photographing at the Star Wars drive in movie last weekend and at the music festival in Cahersiveen! Great craic, as they say here. Let me know if you plan to come back (I have a small B&B here).

Stephen

chris@panteg
10-05-2018, 13:10
Hi Chris, thank for the welcome. Actually I was photographing at the Star Wars drive in movie last weekend and at the music festival in Cahersiveen! Great craic, as they say here. Let me know if you plan to come back (I have a small B&B here).

Stephen

That sounds good, yes it's something I'm thinking about, I've been to Ireland many times, the last two visits back in 2003 and 2004, we rented a house on both occasions in Kerry.

Would love to come back.