PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, May 2018: Family - 'Music in a Doll's House'

Album Club
04-05-2018, 11:51
The Album Choice for May comes courtesy of Barry with Family’s ‘Music in a Doll’s House’.

As always please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

Family – ‘Music in a Dolls’s House’

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41MT2WCZH7L.jpg

In retrospect ‘Progressive Pop (or Rock)’ gets a fair amount of ‘flack’ as being self-indulgent, ego-driven and maybe ‘bombastic’. These criticisms could certainly apply to some of the emergent groups of the late ‘60s, but not to all; and the album I have chosen is an example of the new genre, which displayed imaginative original thinking as well as good musicianship.

Formed in Leicester in the mid ‘60s, Family were an English group comprising Roger Chapman on vocals, harmonica and tenor sax; John Whitney on guitars; Jim King on tenor and soprano saxophone, harmonica and vocals; Rick Grech on bass guitar, violin and vocals, with Bob Townsend on drums and percussion.

Although not a ‘rock opera’ in any sense, I feel this debut album needs to listened to as a whole; and because of that I’m reluctant to pick out any individual track(s) as my favourite(s).

Maybe not everyone’s ‘cup of tea’, but I hope you enjoy it and perhaps it will encourage you to listen to some of their successive output.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_in_a_Doll%27s_House

J7tqROHFi5Q

struth
04-05-2018, 11:59
remember getting it in the day.. my mates brother had it and it introduced me to the gravel of mr chapman... maybe one of the best albums of the year.

MikeMusic
04-05-2018, 15:58
Wonderful, brilliant album

10/10 from me

Len Co
05-05-2018, 19:11
remember getting it in the day.. my mates brother had it and it introduced me to the gravel of mr chapman... maybe one of the best albums of the year.

I always thought Chappo sounded like a goat with a thistle up its ......oh, never mind

Barry
05-05-2018, 21:20
I always thought Chappo sounded like a goat with a thistle up its ......oh, never mind

Wouldn't really argue with that. In fact his 'singing' degraded into little more than screeching as time went on. Interestingly, IMO his voice improved on the 'Streetwalkers' albums, post Family.

Even so, I think the first four of Family's albums are excellent.

struth
05-05-2018, 21:35
Yup his voice went bad in his solo career.

Anyway. Me and my friend and old songs new songs are stand outs. One of reprises first rock albums and did well in charts
9/10

mr sneff
06-05-2018, 09:37
My favourite Family album 9/10

struth
06-05-2018, 09:52
also caused the white album to be thus named "The Beatles" as it was to be named similarly to this

Ian7633
16-05-2018, 15:40
I've had a couple of listens to this album now and it's really grown on me. I've got a copy on it's way to me now. 9/10

Spectral Morn
28-05-2018, 12:26
Wouldn't really argue with that. In fact his 'singing' degraded into little more than screeching as time went on. Interestingly, IMO his voice improved on the 'Streetwalkers' albums, post Family.

Even so, I think the first four of Family's albums are excellent.

I have a few Streetwalkers albums, but never warmed to his rather odd vocal style. I might have music in a dolls house, will need to go look.