PDA

View Full Version : Two systems, Two rooms

Light Capture
21-03-2010, 07:48
Analogue Simplicity:
Audio Electronics amp, PS Audio phono pre, Technics turntable, Ortofon cartridge, DIY speakers , Cabling - Dynamic Design, Kimber

2 Channel Home Theater:
Cambridge Audio amp, Denon DVD, Denon tuner, Polk Audio speakers, Cabling - Linn, Kimber, Audioquest, Crappy TV

kcc123
21-03-2010, 09:12
Hi Mike,
How lucky you are, two rooms and two systems. Many of us are filled with envy.

Light Capture
21-03-2010, 16:00
I had to if I wanted to listen to music and not watch TV. Budget dictates that it is only a LP system, and the room is small, but I can enjoy music in the evening instead of watching TV.

twelvebears
23-03-2010, 09:37
the room is small, but I can enjoy music in the evening instead of watching TV.

Define 'small'? We all live in shoeboxes in the UK you know. :)

Light Capture
23-03-2010, 17:02
Define 'small'? We all live in shoeboxes in the UK you know. :)

I live in a small townhome or row house and my analogue music system is in a room that is 12'10"W x 10'D x 9'H ... or in the UK 3.9m X 3m X 2.7m

twelvebears
23-03-2010, 18:48
I live in a small townhome or row house and my analogue music system is in a room that is 12'10"W x 10'D x 9'H ... or in the UK 3.9m X 3m X 2.7m

Well that's encouraging. That's about the same size as my little Man Cave. :)

Mart
23-03-2010, 23:35
I seriously like the look of those Polk speakers, I wonder if theyr'e available over here, I aint got room for em but I'd have a pair anyway.

Light Capture
12-04-2010, 23:18
I seriously like the look of those Polk speakers, I wonder if theyr'e available over here, I aint got room for em but I'd have a pair anyway.

They sound as good as they look!
Specs: 18hz- 22Khz, 94db efficiency
Same drivers as Polk SDA's but very easy to drive.

Barry
13-04-2010, 07:55
I envy the clean and uncluttered layout of both your systems. Congratulations.

Trust you have a few more LPs than shown!

Do you actually sit in your Breuer chair? I always imagined that with use, the leather strips would stretch and become misshapen. I would love to own one - the height of Bauhaus (?) cool!

Regards

Virkon
16-04-2010, 13:17
Hi Mike, I am thinking of going phono direct into power amp. You obviously think it a good way to go. May I ask your opinion about the PS Audio as it is one I am considering along with the Quad which has a volume control. Thanks for help.
John

Spectral Morn
16-04-2010, 16:57
Hi Mike, I am thinking of going phono direct into power amp. You obviously think it a good way to go. May I ask your opinion about the PS Audio as it is one I am considering along with the Quad which has a volume control. Thanks for help.
John

Hi John

Can you pop into the welcome section and say hello, tell us a bit about yourself, your system and the music you like....thank you in advance :)

Regards D S D L

Light Capture
20-04-2010, 21:22
John

John,

I haven't used the PS Audio phono to its full capacity, as I'm relatively new to analogue w/ a TT. I bought it because of its incredible versatility. Just look at a photo of the back and the remote controlled volume on the front w/ phase and mute on the remote too. It also uses the same gain cells as their preamps. It seems like a phono pre I can grow with. (Unlike the old photo on the website, the new GCPH has a power switch and different values on the settings on the rear.)

I couldn't find a high caliber preamp w/ phono anywhere near the price of the PS Audio phono so I took the plunge. I have in the past use cdps and dacs w/ internal volume controls and the performance was substantial in every way direct to a power amp vs. running them thru a preamp first, and I had a very good tube pre. So I applied the same thinking to my analogue system.

Being that it is not a stand alone preamp the sweet spot on the volume control is in the 1 o'clock to 3 o'clock position, just as PS Audio states. So you make the rough adjustments on the rear and use the volume in the sweet spot. It's sound is clear and pristine, w/ a full bodied and dynamic presentation, and it has deep tight bass to die for.

And if I choose, I can grow my system to include other sources and take my time to save up for a super preamp to compliment this fantastic phono pre. But for now my system captivates me and I almost never listen to cds on my other system.

Virkon
22-04-2010, 21:32
Thanks for that insight Mike. I am running my Advantage S1 cd direct to power with excellent results. The PS Audio seems to be winning for phono direct to power. Thanks again.

John

Light Capture
18-05-2010, 22:57
Changed things up a bit. A little bit of vintage in the mix.
Swapped out Technics SL-D2 for an Acoustic Research AR-XB turntable that I restored and refinished black (circa '75).
Swapped out modded Paragon speakers for Dynaco A-25XL (circa '75).
Audio Electronic Super Amp MkII (Cary) remains in system.
PS Audio GCPH remains in system.

DrMartin
18-05-2010, 23:54
I like the look of those speakers. I wish the current 'mainstream' manufacturers would go back to making speakers with decent sized woofers.

Light Capture
19-05-2010, 01:33
A few manufacturers do just that like Spendor and Harbeth. I'm keepin' my eye open for Spendors at a price I can handle. Harbeth are too pricey for me.

If you want a Dynaco reissue check out this. Uses Seas drivers like the original (updated version), modern aperiodic vented cabinet design w/ flow resistor like original, and a better modern higher quality x-over.
http://annandaleacoustics.com/

DrMartin
19-05-2010, 20:06
Thanks for the heads up on that :)

Many, many years ago I bought a SEAS 3-way kit and it worked really well - even in my ham-fisted attempt at cabinet building.

I'm off to explore Harbeth and Spendor's now ... probably a good job that I'm sitting down.

DrMartin
19-05-2010, 23:55
:stalks:

I see what you mean about pricey :lol: