PDA

View Full Version : Juddering CD drawer....

horace
20-03-2010, 16:19
Here's a simple one for you:

The drawer on my beloved Sony DVP-S7700 has recently started to judder as it reaches the open position. It closes smoothly though.

I'm guessing it's a lubrication issue.

How do I get things running smoothly again? What's the best thing to use as lubricant? (phnarr etc).

Cheers

Martin

DSJR
21-03-2010, 11:09
Id take the top cover off and watch the linkages working. It's not uncommon for runners to become fouled up and if there's a belt drive involved to the gearing, this can stretch, slip and make matters worse.

carefully clean away any dust and crunge there and use just a drop of light machine oil (not 3 in 1 please) on the runners, or even a smear of light grease (as little as possible). Hopefully this will fix your problem.

My CD94 based player had a lazy drawer and it turned out to be that I'd caught it by accident and mis-aligned it. It's now too fast in the way it flies in and out ;)

horace
21-03-2010, 12:18
Id take the top cover off and watch the linkages working. It's not uncommon for runners to become fouled up and if there's a belt drive involved to the gearing, this can stretch, slip and make matters worse.

carefully clean away any dust and crunge there and use just a drop of light machine oil (not 3 in 1 please) on the runners, or even a smear of light grease (as little as possible). Hopefully this will fix your problem.

My CD94 based player had a lazy drawer and it turned out to be that I'd caught it by accident and mis-aligned it. It's now too fast in the way it flies in and out ;)

Cheers.

I'm sure swmbo has some sewing machine oil, so I'll borrow that.

I've never looked inside the Sony, though by all accounts it has some nice parts inside. We'll see.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Martin