PDA

View Full Version : Offbeat Orchestra

Stratmangler
20-03-2010, 12:36
I'm trying to remember the name of an unusual Orchestra I've heard a couple of times on the radio.

The piece being played was Mars, from The Planets Suite, by Gustav Holst.

What was so unusual about the Orchestra was that whilst all of the members of the ensemble were professional musicians who all played for prestigious Orchestras as their main gig, in this particular Orchestra they were not permitted to play the instrument with which they made a living.
So you had a professional trumpet player playing violin instead - that kind of thing with all of the Orchestra members.
As a result the timing cues were always spot on, but the pitch and technique of all of the players left something to be desired.

Anybody remember what the Orchestra was called, and did they release any recordings ?

REM
20-03-2010, 18:59
Portsmouth Sinfonia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw

Sorry forgotten how to do proper U-Tube links.

Stratmangler
20-03-2010, 20:05
Thanks Ralph

I got my wires crossed a bit over this one - see the quote below

The Portsmouth Sinfonia was a real orchestra founded by a group of students at Portsmouth School of Art in Portsmouth, England, in 1970 — however, the Sinfonia had an unusual entrance requirement. Players had to be either non-musicians, or if a musician, play an instrument that was entirely new to them. Among the founding members was one of their teachers, English composer Gavin Bryars. The orchestra started as a one-off, tongue-in-cheek performance art ensemble but became a cultural phenomenon over the following ten years, with concerts, record albums, a film and a hit single. The impact of the Portsmouth Sinfonia was considerable and their name and reputation has endured even though they last performed publicly in 1979.

One thing I will say - they were truly awful !!!!!

Barry
21-03-2010, 01:06
Thanks Ralph

I got my wires crossed a bit over this one - see the quote below

One thing I will say - they were truly awful !!!!!

Brian Eno played with them at one time. And yes, they were truly awful - so awful that there was a kind of perverse attraction!

Regards