PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Clegg / Savuka

Filterlab
23-05-2008, 11:12
I've been listening to one of their tracks many times over the years (Crossing) and I always loved it, yet it was only this week that I decided to buy the bets of album In My African Dream. I've so far only had a couple of minutes to have a quick listen, and already I must say that it's a wonderful album!

The style is Westernised African protest music, but really clean and beautifully recorded. The musicians are absolutely top class as are the engineers and studio bods who recorded it, loads of headroom to really capture the dynamic range of the voices from the backing choir.

I urge you to have a listen, it's fantastic stuff! :)

jimdgoulding
27-06-2008, 06:29
Robby, dabbling in a little world music are we? And I thought you were a novice. Putumayo World Music has a huge catalog of good compilation discs from all over (they have their own website). Spanish is a romantic language to these rather seasoned old ears (but young heart) and the ladies warm my being. Latina singers seem to be some of the most expressive around, a quality I treasure. And, oh, those rhythms! A sweet and soulful contemporary African music disc worth seeking out is Habib Koite & Bamada- Afriki. Bet you will like it.

Filterlab
28-06-2008, 08:29
Hehehehe, I have a very broad spectrum of music in my collection although my regular listening selection is fairly narrow. I'll have a look into Putumayo World Music - Cheers!

Peter Stockwell
28-06-2008, 13:02
I always loved "Scatterlings of Africa" from Juluka, the first band I heard featuring Johnny Clegg, it would have been around the time Paul Simon's Graceland was released.