PDA

View Full Version : Spendor A5R speakers

Mikeandvan
23-04-2018, 11:57
Interested in buying a pair of Spendor mini floorstanders, it is my understanding they have a lean bass, I need it for my room, as its booms in places, and its an attribute I've always liked anyway (lean bass). I've heard they are sweet yet detailed, sound like what I need, I dislike screechy treble. Anybody know these speakers? The A line - I had a pair of s3/5r and whilst they were a bit flat for my type of music, I appreciated their sound, they were also much too small for my room, silly me. Currently own a pair of Ruark Talisman II.
Also the A5R has 3 drivers, what is the bottom one for, as it is just a convex dome, with nothing in the middle:scratch:

I'd consider any of the A line, 3/4/5, whatever turns up.

Stryder5
23-04-2018, 12:41
Have you thought about Ruark Templar's, they are a sealed box.

My room suffers like yours seems to, but these work

walpurgis
23-04-2018, 13:32
Have you considered Totem Arro's? They have a forgiving bass balance and seem well liked by their owners, they image nicely. They also take up very little space.

Mikeandvan
23-04-2018, 15:36
Have you thought about Ruark Templar's, they are a sealed box.

My room suffers like yours seems to, but these work

I had a pair, I don't think they're up to much, not quite as bad as Royd Minstrels though!

Mikeandvan
23-04-2018, 15:59
Have you considered Totem Arro's? They have a forgiving bass balance and seem well liked by their owners, they image nicely. They also take up very little space.

Aah, yes they're similarly sized to the Spendors I think, the Spendors are supposed to have a sweet midrange though which attracts me.

walpurgis
23-04-2018, 16:02
Nothing wrong with the mids on the Arros.

RobbieGong
23-04-2018, 16:07
Aah, yes they're similarly sized to the Spendors I think, the Spendors are supposed to have a sweet midrange though which attracts me.

Yep, from what I know of Spendors, being particularly good in the mids is a key characteristic they are said to have

Mikeandvan
24-04-2018, 15:15
Just found a pair of Spendor S5e on Ebay, seller accepted £320 for them, which I thought was very fair. So see how I'll get on with those.

RobbieGong
24-04-2018, 15:51
Just found a pair of Spendor S5e on Ebay, seller accepted £320 for them, which I thought was very fair. So see how I'll get on with those.

Nice one and all the best with it.

Look forward to your thoughts once you've had some time with them :)

bungalowbill
24-04-2018, 17:37

That must have been the pair in Southampton. ��Good price with P@P I paid 450 for mine. Which funnily enough came from your neck of the woods. I started with BC1 in 78 and unless we move again there a keeper. http://www.grahamlandick.com/spendor-audio/
Just added the link. Bang for buck you are getting a lot for your money.
Midrange is well, just right. Try Stanley Clarke, East River Drive on CD. No issues with boomy bass, mine are about 11" off a back wall, firing across the room, due to room lay out firing down is not on.
either side of a fire place, two large sofas one in front other to the side.

Mikeandvan
24-04-2018, 21:22
That must have been the pair in Southampton. ��Good price with P@P I paid 450 for mine. Which funnily enough came from your neck of the woods. I started with BC1 in 78 and unless we move again there a keeper. http://www.grahamlandick.com/spendor-audio/
Just added the link. Bang for buck you are getting a lot for your money.
Midrange is well, just right. Try Stanley Clarke, East River Drive on CD. No issues with boomy bass, mine are about 11" off a back wall, firing across the room, due to room lay out firing down is not on.
either side of a fire place, two large sofas one in front other to the side.

Thanks for that Bill, and the link. Sounds good, I hope they suit my room. Gotta drive 2 hours to get them, that's the only drawback.

Clive197
26-04-2018, 11:34
Thanks for that Bill, and the link. Sounds good, I hope they suit my room. Gotta drive 2 hours to get them, that's the only drawback.

Have no fear, they will do exactly what you require.

Mikeandvan
30-04-2018, 21:07
Had them a couple of days now, not really suitable. They are very similar to the s3/5r which I also tried, obviously they fill the room better, but basic characteristics are almost identical. First impression was 'dry', 'flat', slightly harsh treble, bass response is limited, which is one of the things I wanted. Having read a few other user comments I understand why they say 'unmusical'! They are like a floorstanding monitor, if that's possible. No big deal, and lesson learnt, do not buy Spendor speakers again, lol.
On the plus side, I can see their appeal, if you like acoustic music you will love them, they seem to extend decay and finer details with precision, most pleasurable, and I would have them in a second system may'be if I had a second room, for that type of listening. Was listening to some Scott Walker earlier - Scott 1 & 2, and that was pretty good, heard a few things I never heard before, also enjoyed them with New order, you need 'clean' well defined music for these speakers. But the Scott lps were quite a revelation, pacing, details of single instruments, not so good with multiple instrumentation, playing Shostakovich now, violins very screechy, not nice.
So, I loved what I heard with Scott, his voice was superb with the Spendors as well, but these are not an all round speaker, and that is what I need. If anyone can help me stop wasting time and money that would be good. Again, no biggie, but I want the next speakers to be keepers. I use vinyl as my benchmark, and I listen to a fair amount of Beatles, Kinks, Stones, so harsh treble is the last thing I need :lol: As above I enjoy many other genres as well, and I do like some things the Spendors did. As far as my current speakers - Ruark Talisman go, what they lack is what I pointed out in the Spendor the things I liked, taut bass, more insight and precision, but they're not bad speakers. Can afford to spend around the £500 mark on the used market, been looking at the PMC GB1, but to be honest there are so many speaker brands out there, you only notice the current popular ones, there must be some forgotten models out there which are really good............