PDA

View Full Version : WTD: bi-wire links

Edward
22-04-2018, 18:50
Looking for a pair of bi-wire links for a set of speakers that are missing their links please.

What do you have? Or perhaps someone would kindly make up a pair please? :)

cheers
Edward

walpurgis
22-04-2018, 18:58
Buy a metre of twin & earth solid core ring main cable and strip the copper out to make links. Easy and it works well.

Lawrence001
22-04-2018, 19:17
Buy a metre of twin & earth solid core ring main cable and strip the copper out to make links. Easy and it works well.

Have to admit I've done this a few times, never compared it to using my own speaker cable though.

Sherwood
22-04-2018, 19:31
I would suggest better way is to simply strip off the insulation on your cable at two points, so that the cable passes through both sets of connectors.

Much better than using two different materials and having an extra mechanical connection.

Geoff

Edward
22-04-2018, 20:12
Thanks all good points. Laziness gets in the way. :rolleyes: Meantime still looking.

By the way is there really I difference in SQ in getting one of the super expensive links? I see some go for silly money - £900 and upwards. Sounds like a lot of foo to me. I would have thought that speaker manufactures would not have crippled their speakers with sub-optimal links.

chris@panteg
23-04-2018, 08:11
Thanks all good points. Laziness gets in the way. :rolleyes: Meantime still looking.

By the way is there really I difference in SQ in getting one of the super expensive links? I see some go for silly money - £900 and upwards. Sounds like a lot of foo to me. I would have thought that speaker manufactures would not have crippled their speakers with sub-optimal links.

I seriously doubt it, but you could try it, you could buy some ready made jumpers of the cable you are using.
Or if not possible make up you're own, the thing is, speaker terminals are usually made from brass, so a short length of thick solid core copper will do the trick, why not try it.

ovlov854
23-04-2018, 22:06

I think that there are differences in SQ for jumper sets
I have been using an overly complex RA 8TC which I thought pretty good.
I have today made my own set using pure silver 18awg in teflon for £16 for the 4 pieces plus 2 sets of siver plated copper spades at £8 per set
Took about 40 minutes to assemble and install
The difference is quite astounding even to my old ears
Get busy !!!:ner:

Edward
23-04-2018, 22:25
I think that there are differences in SQ for jumper sets
I have been using an overly complex RA 8TC which I thought pretty good.
I have today made my own set using pure silver 18awg in teflon for £16 for the 4 pieces plus 2 sets of siver plated copper spades at £8 per set
Took about 40 minutes to assemble and install
The difference is quite astounding even to my old ears
Get busy !!!:ner:Martin

Sounds good. Got any links for the items?

Cheers

Via Tapatalk

Lawrence001
24-04-2018, 06:06
Mu ushers have just twisted silver wires as jumpers and they are a marked improvement over jumpers of an unknown brand I tried. Some might argue using spades can detract from the SQ, just screw the silver in directly, saves some time and effort too :)

Edward
24-04-2018, 08:53
I've got some spare QED XT40 cable I'll give a whirl. But also interested in what Martin has.

Gazjam
24-04-2018, 09:04
Have a set of unused Tellerium Q Green jumper links I could sell?

ovlov854
25-04-2018, 09:37
Martin

Sounds good. Got any links for the items?

Cheers

Via Tapatalk

Yes
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mbp04-4x-Pure-Silver-Plated-Copper-Spade-Plug-Speaker-Cable-Wire-Connector-HiFi/301355664104?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

can't find the listing but he made a set for me after the list finished; this is his email
dalkeyaudiocables@eircom.net

You can just use the bare wire as Lawrence suggests and add spades later if you like as they are screw fitting. I will solder mine later for a more permanent fit

Ah... got prices a little wrong £6 per set of spades + pp and £17.50 for wire links including post. Still very reasonable

Edward
25-04-2018, 10:07
Many thanks Martin

Let me have a look. It seems that the Dalkey Audio Cables are made by a guy in Dalkey with a name of Andrew Spencer. He seems to sell stuff off and on.

ovlov854
25-04-2018, 10:45
Many thanks Martin

Let me have a look. It seems that the Dalkey Audio Cables are made by a guy in Dalkey with a name of Andrew Spencer. He seems to sell stuff off and on.

Thats the fella. Apparently he uses thin pure silver wires and twists them to various thickness. The set of 4 come ready cut. so convenient
Better than RA (you know who I mean) prices :eyebrows:

Edward
30-04-2018, 21:15
So I had a pleasant email chat with Andrew Spencer at Dalkey Audio Cables and a couple of days later the cheap 99.99% silver jumpers arrived. Installed 2 minutes later and nice detailed rez. Thanks Martin for the heads up - perfect.

ovlov854
01-05-2018, 10:03
Glad to help.........Enjoy

:yay: