PDA

View Full Version : RPi and rotary encoder - tips?

mikmas
21-04-2018, 22:47
Anyone have experience using a rotary encoder with their Pi for music purposes and have any hints/tips/remarks about it's effectiveness (as opposed to the software option) and whether any snags were encountered fitting it and/or setting it up?

I have one on order to fit to my IQaudiO DAC+ card (Pi 2b) ...

struth
22-04-2018, 01:39
Ive heard of them but that's about all. Thought they converted movement or sommat Please explain

tubehunter
22-04-2018, 07:45
I’ve run a few Pi’s with encoders.

No issues, work really well especially if you run directly into power amps.
Better if your dac supports hardware volume control.

Happy Days

mikmas
22-04-2018, 23:49
Ive heard of them but that's about all. Thought they converted movement or sommat Please explain

From what I understand they are basically a switch arrangement around an axis... at each 'click' during the rotation a pulse is produced which will trigger a response in a particular function (e.g. volume control). So you can set them up to raise the volume when turned clockwise and decrease when anticlockwise, thus mimicking the action of an analogue (but stepped) attentuator.
Big difference being the switch facility is endless; i.e. they have no 'zero' point as such.

mikmas
22-04-2018, 23:53
No issues, work really well especially if you run directly into power amps.
Better if your dac supports hardware volume control.

Cool, thanks for that :)

I'm assuming the IQaudio DAC supports them as they have dedicated points on the circuit board and I'm using Moode, which has a setting for hardware volume control.

I want to use the function to control the volume on the RPi I'm using for headphone playback ...

struth
23-04-2018, 03:10
From what I understand they are basically a switch arrangement around an axis... at each 'click' during the rotation a pulse is produced which will trigger a response in a particular function (e.g. volume control). So you can set them up to raise the volume when turned clockwise and decrease when anticlockwise, thus mimicking the action of an analogue (but stepped) attentuator.
Big difference being the switch facility is endless; i.e. they have no 'zero' point as such.

Thanks for explanation. Sounds good for moode

mikmas
24-04-2018, 23:35
Well ... the gizmo arrived today, I fitted it this evening and it sort of works.

By 'sort of' I mean that (sometimes) it does raise or lower the volume when I turn the knob ... but not always in sync with when I turn it ... or consistent with how much it was turned :lol: