PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Mikie Bs place

wee tee cee
18-04-2018, 16:31
Myself and Brian visited Mikie today.

I had heard Mikes system a few months ago and was quite taken with his big Tannoys-Brian had never heard a pair so we both headed over to the Kingdom of Fife to see whats what.

Mike has really moved his system down the road in the last few months.

He has a pimped Techie on analogue and a well resolved digital set up for streaming.

Big primaluna power amp and tvc pre-good quality wires and all the ancillaries sorted .

From the off the system just sang-utterly effortless/liquid midrange/bass that 15 inch drivers can achieve without overblown bloom.

I managed to wrestle control of the i pad-some John Martyn ensued....constant stream of sarcasm from that pair but it confirmed Mike has a really resolved system with no nasties or short comings.

Ive never heard a proper techie-Mike span up some vinyl....just fantastic!!(Stevie ray Vaughn was just fantastic).

Tried a couple of ICs Brian has made up-they are a tad special, just placing the icing on the cake.

Great day/company/tunes....what its all about really!

Tubes and Tannoys....some majik lies there methinks!!

Firebottle
18-04-2018, 16:42
Don't forget the tubes in the Firebottle Vivant phono stage, it wouldn't be the same without the tubes!

struth
18-04-2018, 16:44
glad it went well tony...pity i couldnt make it:(

wee tee cee
18-04-2018, 16:46
Alan had a chat about that, seems your phono stage has taken on all comers.

Vinyl sounded terrific( better than digital TBH!)

Top notch system-your creation integral to it.

wee tee cee
18-04-2018, 16:50
glad it went well tony...pity i couldnt make it:(

Grant,
An hour and a half either way but well worth it....great hearing someones system that is properly sorted.

Just couldnt get my head round the John Martyn phobia....they both need edumacated!!!

struth
18-04-2018, 16:52
got one on vinyl from abbey rd... sounds very good, although i guess its pretty laid back

wee tee cee
18-04-2018, 16:55
got one on vinyl from abbey rd... sounds very good, although i guess its pretty laid back

Ive got the half speed solid air, think thats abbey road-aint too shabby!

mikeyb
18-04-2018, 16:59
It was good to entertain you both, and glad that you liked my system. You always doubt yourself when steadily 'upgrading' I know I like listening to it, but you always wonder if anyone else will [emoji23]

Tony and Brian both confirmed that what I have put together is really good to listen to.

We played, John Martyn, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Johnny Cash, Black Sabbath, Sohn, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk, Nitin Sawhney, Danny Angel/Bo Galigher and a few others switching between streaming from Spotify, my Nas drive and also playing records.

Couple more things to finish off my system and that will be me [emoji6]

System as it stands:

Heavily modded Technics 1210 turntable, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Zyx r100 cartridge, Firebottle Vivant Phono stage, Promitheus TVC Pre amp, Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Power Amp, SoTM SMS 200 NAA, Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Tannoy Berkeley speakers, EWA LS25 speaker cable.

Here's to the next meeting [emoji6]

wee tee cee
18-04-2018, 17:03
John Martyn in the premier position-my work is done....ready to die now!

mikeyb
18-04-2018, 17:04
John Martyn in the premier position-my work is done....ready to die now!Just thought I'd start the list bottom first [emoji23]

brian2957
18-04-2018, 17:07
Thanks to Tony for doing the driving and thanks to Mike for the hospitality .

Excellent day out and must say I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Mike's system . I thought your digital sounded very good indeed , however your vinyl sounded superb . IMO it's right up there with the best systems I've heard .

I loved those big Tannoys which didn't sound anything like I'd imagined . They were open , and very musical . I thought your turntable sounded fantastic as did your Firebottle phono stage .

The PrimaLuna power amp sounded every bit as good as it looked , absolutely beautiful .

Thanks again chaps :D

brian2957
18-04-2018, 17:08
Just thought I'd start the list bottom first [emoji23]

Hah ! You're no kiddin there :ner:

wee tee cee
18-04-2018, 17:10
Yer a cruel man.....thanks for indulging me.

We both chatted heading back-seriously resolved system.

Brian now reckons he could fit a pair of tannoys in his room!!!

Traitor......63s would be perfect!!!

wee tee cee
18-04-2018, 17:18
I reckon thats discrimination....all these social justice warriors that go mental at the slightest criticism of what you assign to....apparently some folk have different tastes---go figure!!!!

walpurgis
18-04-2018, 17:21
Brian now reckons he could fit a pair of tannoys in his room!!!

Wise man! :)

Ali Tait
18-04-2018, 19:14
Shame I’m away and couldn’t make it, would like to hear the system now Mike, that’s some nice kit you have there now.

mikeyb
18-04-2018, 19:20
Shame I’m away and couldn’t make it, would like to hear the system now Mike, that’s some nice kit you have there now.Yeah was unfortunate, I'll organise a weekend sometime soon as Gaz was wanting to visit too [emoji6]

Ali Tait
18-04-2018, 21:01
Sounds good mate.

Gazjam
18-04-2018, 21:10
Yeah was unfortunate, I'll organise a weekend sometime soon as Gaz was wanting to visit too [emoji6]

Count me In...never heard Tony play John Martyn, be good to hear new stuff...

:D

mikeyb
18-04-2018, 21:17
Count me In...never heard Tony play John Martyn, be good to hear new stuff...

:D

[emoji23]

CageyH
19-04-2018, 03:55
Tried a couple of ICs Brian has made up-they are a tad special, just placing the icing on the cake!

If these are the ones that I have been discussing with Brian, then I must give them a try at some point soon.

brian2957
19-04-2018, 06:42
Yup , that's the ones Kevin . I look forward to your feedback :)