PDA

View Full Version : Using a budget DVD player + DAC to play CDs

Pigmy Pony
14-04-2018, 17:43
Hi guys,

I'm putting together a low-cost second system, and I was wondering if I could use a DVD player, via digital coax, via an SMSL DAC into an amp for CD duties.

Is this feasible? Is this a shit idea? Would I be better off buying a CD player? I've already got the DAC, used DVD players are super-cheap and if I can use the DAC to benefit the sound quality of CD output, that would be great.

Any thoughts?

struth
14-04-2018, 17:46
No problem. Try a pioneer DVD 717 or 737. Both good transports and fairly cheap. Get a nice one for around 40£

Ive got 2. Bev has 2 too lol

sumday
14-04-2018, 20:14
Ooh spooky....I have a SMSL Sanscrit DAC and recently purchased a Pioneer DV 717 dvd player from a local Cash Generator for only 20 quid.
The player was a absolute steal at the price, well built, heavy and still looks the biz.

I got it as a backup and recently gave it a run through.
The transport is IMO a better unit than the one built in to my Roksan CDP and the picture quality, even through Scart is very good.

Out of interest I fed it into my Dac to gauge the sound quality.
Until then I REALLY believed the "bits is bits" line and expected no discernable difference.

I noted a slight increase in topend and very small loss of detail across both optical and coax outputs.......but only on rapid switching between players.

If my CDP died I could easily live with the DVD player as transport....

Give it a go.

NIGE.

walpurgis
14-04-2018, 20:49
No problem. Try a pioneer DVD 717 or 737. Both good transports and fairly cheap. Get a nice one for around 40£

Ive got 2. Bev has 2 too lol

I've got one as well. :)

struth
14-04-2018, 20:55
Mine are just gathering dust at moment as is my lovely big denon.. went up in world with an oppo:D

Michael loves music
14-04-2018, 22:01
Hi guys,

I'm putting together a low-cost second system, and I was wondering if I could use a DVD player, via digital coax, via an SMSL DAC into an amp for CD duties.

Is this feasible? Is this a shit idea? Would I be better off buying a CD player? I've already got the DAC, used DVD players are super-cheap and if I can use the DAC to benefit the sound quality of CD output, that would be great.

Any thoughts? what speakers are you thinking of getting ???

Michael loves music
15-04-2018, 10:57
I've got one as well. :)would this DVD player and dac sound better than my pioneer stable platter CD player Geoff ?

Pigmy Pony
15-04-2018, 11:31
what speakers are you thinking of getting ???

Hi Michael,

I was given a pair of Celestion 5's by a fellow AOS'r last year, minus the tweeters. I bought a scruffy pair of 3's with mint tweeters last week.

I connected my Echo dot to the amp (Amptastic Mini-1 and am streaming songs. Everything working, but sound is a bit "sat upon". I'm going to connect my BK XLS200 and see what that does for the sound. I'm hoping I can connect the sub to one of the speakers, as these amps don't give you much space when connecting speaker wires.

Grant, thanks for the suggestion. The Pioneers sound ideal for me and I like that I can look for a particular model. Otherwise I would have probably bought the first piece of crap that came along.

walpurgis
15-04-2018, 11:32
would this DVD player and dac sound better than my pioneer stable platter CD player Geoff ?

If used as transports, I doubt there's be much in it, but my money would be on the CD player coming out best. My PS-S505 Precision sounds better than the DV-717, but as I say, there's not a lot in it. Can't comment on your DAC as I don't know what you're using.

Michael loves music
15-04-2018, 12:33
I don’t have a dac Geoff just Denon 350se amp van damme interconnects and tannoy Mercury v1 speakers

walpurgis
15-04-2018, 12:42
Ah. OK Michael. I misunderstood :).

diviy
16-04-2018, 22:46
Little tip regarding your speakers spin the bass units 180 degrees to acount for drop if the speakers have old speaker connectors fit new ones and recap the crossover couple of hours work that should transform your speakers.

Scooby
16-04-2018, 23:10
The DV 717 is still a very good DVD player and a decent CD transport. As a stand alone player fir CDs, I found it a real snooze. Anyone else had a listen to it on its own?

Pigmy Pony
17-04-2018, 18:08
Little tip regarding your speakers spin the bass units 180 degrees to acount for drop if the speakers have old speaker connectors fit new ones and recap the crossover couple of hours work that should transform your speakers.

Thanks for the tip Gerald. I've never done anything electrical (does changing batteries in the remote count?). But my girls bought me a soldering set for Christmas so I can have a play.

Where would I buy replacement caps? Maplins? Amazon? And do they vary in Price/quality? My lack of knowledge and experience cannot be overstated!

These speakers are in my second system so it might be a good place to start learning some of this stuff.