PDA

View Full Version : Tidal masters streaming!

ljcarr
14-04-2018, 07:56
Ok just bought a Naim Muso qb, and received 6months free tidal HiFi subscription, so thought I’d get something that could stream the mqa masters to my main HiFi in the living room (currently using Sonos Connect & Spotify ) so I bought a Bluesound Node 2. I set it up and got it working over Wifi with tidal, it works great with cd quality tracks but mqa tracks just keep buffering and stop ever few seconds 😡. I then connected the node via a power line to the router and still the mqa keep buffering, has anyone got any suggestions on how I can resolve this ?

Sherwood
14-04-2018, 08:38
Ok just bought a Naim Muso qb, and received 6months free tidal HiFi subscription, so thought I’d get something that could stream the mqa masters to my main HiFi in the living room (currently using Sonos Connect & Spotify ) so I bought a Bluesound Node 2. I set it up and got it working over Wifi with tidal, it works great with cd quality tracks but mqa tracks just keep buffering and stop ever few seconds ��. I then connected the node via a power line to the router and still the mqa keep buffering, has anyone got any suggestions on how I can resolve this ?

Are you able to play the Tidal Masters on your PC?

ljcarr
14-04-2018, 08:40
Not tried?

Sherwood
14-04-2018, 08:55
Not tried?

Worth dowloading the PC app and making sure that your have settings on Master Quality. Then set up a few MQA/Tidal Masters playlists.

The problem may be that these Hi Res files will not play on your streamer, only on the PC. That is the case with my Cambridge CXN. MY Masters paylists simply downscale to 44k. Annoying, yes but the SQ is still pretty good.

Geoff

struth
14-04-2018, 08:59
as geoff says, the masters are from the pc i think..also a dac able to take the higher rez. buffering could be that. or your internet is running slow

Sherwood
14-04-2018, 09:01
as geoff says, the masters are from the pc i think..also a dac able to take the higher rez.

I suspect that the problem is not with your DAC but the fact that Tidal block the MQA stream for other devices.

Gazjam
14-04-2018, 09:17
Happily streaming MQA from Tidal here?
Its Dac dependant really for full MQA unfolding.

Also I’d avoid streaming hires stuff over Wifi, if you can hook it all up using a wired connection that’d probably eliminate the buffering.

ljcarr
14-04-2018, 09:56
Ok guys all valid suggestions, but dac in the Bluesound node 2 is mqa compatible, I’m defiantly playing the mqa master version of the albums as it states so on the app and they were saved to my favourites via the Mac computer app. The Bluesound is currently connected via power line adapter so nearly as good as direct connection via Ethernet? I’m connected this way because the router is to far away up on the 1st floor of the house.

Sherwood
14-04-2018, 10:04
Ok guys all valid suggestions, but dac in the Bluesound node 2 is mqa compatible, I’m defiantly playing the mqa master version of the albums as it states so on the app and they were saved to my favourites via the Mac computer app. The Bluesound is currently connected via power line adapter so nearly as good as direct connection via Ethernet? I’m connected this way because the router is to far away up on the 1st floor of the house.

As I said earlier, I think MQA only plays on the desktop apps. If you can play MQA on your Mac but not on your MQA streamer that would seem to confirm this. I use powerline routers too with no problems btw.

ljcarr
14-04-2018, 10:26
As I said earlier, I think MQA only plays on the desktop apps. If you can play MQA on your Mac but not on your MQA streamer that would seem to confirm this. I use powerline routers too with no problems btw.

I here what your saying but the Bluesound node 2 will definitely play mqa from tidal it’s one of there selling/marketing points!

struth
14-04-2018, 10:28
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/quick-how-to-stream-mqa-via-tidal-to-bluesound

it needs a desktop to send it to the bluesound node

Sherwood
14-04-2018, 10:30
I here what your saying but the Bluesound node 2 will definitely play mqa from tidal it’s one of there selling/marketing points!

Sorry, can't offer any more suggestions.

ljcarr
14-04-2018, 11:02
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/quick-how-to-stream-mqa-via-tidal-to-bluesound

it needs a desktop to send it to the bluesound node

I know that the desk top app from tidal is tidal’s only way to stream its masters, but from what I’ve read and seen the Bluesound’s Own app will allow you choose and stream tidal masters straight to the node 2. As in attached screen shot of bluesounds app.

struth
14-04-2018, 11:09
Probably need to contact bluesound and see what they suggest

Boyse6748
15-04-2018, 16:34
Have a look at this. It will explain about MQA Decoding. It’s not as straightforward as you would think.

You really do need a DAC/ Device with a MQA Hardware Decoder. Otherwise you don’t hear the file the way it supposed to be.

(Sorry, it not a direct link) couldn’t work how to to that.

I’m using the Mytek Brooklyn DAC Which does have an MQA Hardware Decoder.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-decoding-explained

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ljcarr
15-04-2018, 18:22
Have a look at this. It will explain about MQA Decoding. It’s not as straightforward as you would think.

You really do need a DAC/ Device with a MQA Hardware Decoder. Otherwise you don’t hear the file the way it supposed to be.

(Sorry, it not a direct link) couldn’t work how to to that.

I’m using the Mytek Brooklyn DAC Which does have an MQA Hardware Decoder.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-decoding-explained

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Peter, the Bluesound node2 does have a mqa dac capable of decoding/unfolding mqa files.

Regards

Lee

Gazjam
16-04-2018, 05:41
Its not true that you need Tidals desktop app to stream MQA masters.
You can, with the right dac or streamer.