PDA

View Full Version : Grille re-covering tips please :)

mikmas
12-04-2018, 00:20
I have recently acquired a pair of floor standers with new fangled modern plastic-frame grilles.
Trouble is the cloth covering is black and I would really like it to be a tasteful brown to match my ultra dowdy interior and 19th century taste.

I have plenty of experience of upholstery practices and re-covering wooden frames but not really up to speed with a substrate that doesn't cope well with staples :(

Has anyone any really useful tips of how to achieve a smart and professional looking result ... or shall I just busk it? (as usual)

walpurgis
12-04-2018, 07:46
As long as the grille cloth is not stretched too tight, just using contact adhesive should be OK. Use it only to the rear of the grille frame though is it may show through the material from the front. I've done this a few times.

rigger67
12-04-2018, 08:40
Yeah, I've done it a couple of times too and it's all a question of patience, really.

I actually used superglue on one occasion - the cheapo £1 stuff - and it worked brilliantly !

Like Geoff said, don't stretch it too hard.
Start on one side, leave it to dry while you do the other grille on one side, go back to the first and pull it into place - maybe use tape to keep it there if need be - and slowly work your way around, swapping between the two grilles as you go.

Very satisfying when you sit back and admire your handiwork :)

mikmas
12-04-2018, 09:50
Thanks chaps :)

Any idea if Copydex would be OK?
Have used it many times before with natural textiles on wood frames but never with synthetics on plastic.

struth
12-04-2018, 09:53
carpet tile spray adhesive is best ive found. gets sticky quick but gives you time to adjust too. a big can is only 5/6 quid too.

mikmas
12-04-2018, 23:26
carpet tile spray adhesive is best ive found. gets sticky quick but gives you time to adjust too. a big can is only 5/6 quid too.

Thanks for the tip Grant ... will keep my eye out for some.

Once I've tracked down some likely candidates for material I'll probably do some experimenting, first with Copydex and then getting exotic.

Was also thinking of some narrow-double sided tape as a possibility, there are some very good ones on the market and they can be quite flexible.

struth
13-04-2018, 00:03
Just spray the back of the frame then when it goes tacky start to stretch it evenly round sides keeping it even tension. Then cut the corners. That's the bit you need to practice

mikmas
13-04-2018, 00:37
Sounds manageable Grant and will definitely try that :)

Will still do a test with Copydex first ... mainly because it's fairly easy to remove if I decide that brown does make the speakers look a bit too turdy and want to revert back to black.
Not sure how amenable carpet adhesive would be to that - only experience I have is trying to shift residual crap from floors that have had carpet stuck down (not an experience I would care to repeat :(

Qwin
14-04-2018, 16:38
Depends on what type of plastic it is, as to whether the Evo Stick melts the plastic as its solvent based, so do a test first.

An alternative is to use shellac, which is easier on the plastic (meths based), again dependent on type of plastic.
We used to stretch big wood screens in fabric printing class at Art Collage this way and get them really tight. You coat the frame a few times and as the last coat is getting tacky apply the cloth and burnish it into the shellac/stretch as you go with a smooth tool like a wooden spoon. Start in the middle and work outward.

Its an alternative worth considering, but Evo Stick will work if you are careful and check it is safe to use. Thixofix is easier to apply than Evo Stick as it is a Thixotropic material and can even be applied with a roller.

Whichever method you choose, hope you get the result your after.

Edit: Copydex won't stick to plastic very well and may peel under tension, so again test before doing the job.

TazSob
14-04-2018, 18:42
This might help https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLLTo9jPUOTLHF1_CAZbZEfkXgcSDRGn6-&v=mVe0sjNZXCI

mikmas
14-04-2018, 23:13
Thanks for the further tips gents .. and the link :)

Shame the US guy uses a proprietary glue that costs an arm and a leg on eBay ...
On reflection I think I'll stick to double-sided tape, less mess than contact glues, cheaper and pretty well guaranteed to work (used it a lot for other jobs involving synthetics).

The actual stretching isn't a problem, done it loads before ;)

walpurgis
14-04-2018, 23:29
Double sided tape will end up an unsatisfactory option, it will pull, slacken and may even stick to what's behind the grille. I've built over fifty pairs of speakers and made grilles for them. I use the same grille cloth fixing methods most manufacturers do for good reason, they work! And that's usually contact adhesive. Or staples, which obviously can't successfully be used on plastic frames.

mikmas
15-04-2018, 00:05
And that's usually contact adhesive. Or staples, which obviously can't successfully be used on plastic frames.

Ok - so which contact adhesive would you recommend for plastic frames and synthetic material?

Qwin
15-04-2018, 08:48
Unless someone has used the exact contact adhesive on your actual frames it is guess work.

ABS or Styrene will almost certainly melt with solvent based contact glues like Evo Stick and Thixofix so try it on a small spot first. If the frames are Poly Prop NOTHING sticks to it with any great strength, you can "Flame" the surface to Oxidize it, which helps but not a lot. Thixofix is far easier to apply then Evo Stick as it doesn't go stringy or ball up as you apply it. Thixotropic means as you work it, the Gell becomes more liquid and spreads easy.

It will be tricky applying it to the cloth edges, maybe stretch it out on a board and use masking tape to allow an accurate narrow strip of glue to be applied. I'm just guessing how you might tackle it, as I've never used this method either. :)

walpurgis
15-04-2018, 09:06
This job is really not a big deal.

If you want a tube of contact adhesive that will do the job Mike, just PM me your mailing details and I'll send you one. I have loads!

mikmas
15-04-2018, 09:08
Thanks for that Ken, I had noted EvoStick and Thixofix from your last post and will bear them in mind. I used to work with thixotropic paint back in the 60s - vile stuff, so I would hope the glue is more amenable.

Whatever substances I opt for I will be doing tests before committing (as I mentioned earlier) but for the moment I'm just waiting for a response from Walpurgis re. what adhesives he prefers.

Pharos
15-04-2018, 10:07
IMO Evo stick Time Bond is better than Thixofix. Some years ago, for legal reasons Thixofix changed its solvent from toluene to a ketone, and it lost its whetting ability. Time Bond is still good at whetting. (I've just bought some for gluing EPDM rubber onto speaker cabinets.)

mikmas
15-04-2018, 10:11
This job is really not a big deal.

If you want a tube of contact adhesive that will do the job Mike, just PM me your mailing details and I'll send you one. I have loads!

Thank you for the kind offer Geoff - I will hang on until I've nailed down a suitable colour. Also checking a local service tomorrow for a quote to have it done (and save the hassle :)

mikmas
15-04-2018, 23:33
Had a chance to get a better look at the grilles today and what I initially perceived to be black plastic is in fact heavily coated 8mm MDF. Tried a 6mm staple and it went in no bother ... so back on familiar turf and panic over :dance:

Thanks to all for the suggestions and offers of glue - very much appreciated :):):):):)