PDA

View Full Version : Lenco gl75 help needed

STD305M
10-04-2018, 08:03
Hi
I've just acquired a Lenco gl75, it's in mint condition
apart from needing V blocks.
Not sure if i should replace them or change the arm for something else.
Anyone know of arms that will fit without too much work???

Regards Steve...

walpurgis
10-04-2018, 08:13
The GL75 can sound very good just using the standard arm. It's worth trying this out before getting too ambitious.

There's a lot to be said for keeping these nice decks standard, as decent ones in original untampered nick are getting scarcer and hold their value better.

I'd suggest changing the 'V' blocks first and seeing how you find it.

What cartridge were you planning to use in it?

STD305M
10-04-2018, 08:28
At the moment it's fitted with a stanton 500 but thats coming off
Not sure what to fit, open to suggestions

Steve...

walpurgis
10-04-2018, 08:32
The arm is quite cartridge friendly and works happily with a wide variety. I've seen them with Deccas and quite expensive MC's in, but really, I'd suggest something like a Nagoaka or Audio Technica MM. The Denon DL-110 high output MC is supposed to work well in one too, but It's not a combo I've tried.

STD305M
10-04-2018, 08:36
Hi Geoff,

Will replace the Vblocks and try an audio technica as i already have one

Regards steve...

Bigman80
10-04-2018, 08:37
There is a thread somewhere suggesting an Alphason Tonearm has the right geometry for the L75 without butchering the top plate. Shame the one here has gone because at £400, it would have been perfect

A new plinth and a service would go some way to bringing the best from it, but I'd avoid plywood. MU25 or Panzerholz would be a great choice but pricey.

Rexton has extensive knowledge and should be mined for information at every opportunity.

STD305M
10-04-2018, 08:37
Hi Geoff,

Will replace the Vblocks and try an audio technica as i already have one

Regards steve...

STD305M
10-04-2018, 08:41
Hi Oliver.
I'll be changing the plinth at some stage
Really don't want to butcher the top plate so an arm such as you mention might be a possibility in th future

Steve...

narabdela
10-04-2018, 08:44
Hi
Not sure if i should replace them or change the arm for something else.

Interesting question. Not so long ago everyone was discarding the standard arm and fitting replacements, but if you frequent the Lenco forum you'll find that things have changed. The philosophy now is to keep them as original as possible. The arm is not as bad as its reputation would suggest. If you fit the V blocks and a sympathetic cartridge (lots of recommendations over there), you won't be disappointed.

Wakefield Turntables
10-04-2018, 10:44
Hi I'm at work at the moment. I'll write some thoughts down when I've a whiskey in my hand tonight, relaxing! ��

STD305M
10-04-2018, 10:51
Hi I'm at work at the moment. I'll write some thoughts down when I've a whiskey in my hand tonight, relaxing! ��

Whiskey Mmmm, sounds like a great idea:comatose:

Regards Steve...

Firebottle
10-04-2018, 13:08
I have a ZYX R-100 on my standard Lenco arm, with an extra headshell weight and extra mass on the counterweight and it sounds stunning.

Very very pleased with the synergy of it all.

speedracer
10-04-2018, 13:56
The is a guy over on Lenco Heaven, Brian28 (sometimes on here too), who makes direct replacement arms using the same pillar & weights I think & looks great, at the moment I have a Lyra Helikon Mono on trial on my GL75 & it sounds stunning as well. I am not sure how much better if at all this arm is better than the standard one as I have never compared the two, but it is not an expensive arm in any case.

STD305M
10-04-2018, 14:06
I have a ZYX R-100 on my standard Lenco arm, with an extra headshell weight and extra mass on the counterweight and it sounds stunning.

Very very pleased with the synergy of it all.

Hi Alan,
I heard it and love the sound but cant afford the ZYX R-100 unless theres one out there for a similar price..

Steve...

speedracer
10-04-2018, 15:11
Hi Alan,
I heard it and love the sound but cant afford the ZYX R-100 unless theres one out there for a similar price..

Steve...

Steve, I think the point Alan was making, as was I about my arm, is that the standard arm is good enough to bolt a very good expensive cartridge to & still hear clearly what the cartridge is capable of.

speedracer
10-04-2018, 15:12
Hi Alan,

Steve...

Steve, I think the point Alan was making, as was I about my arm, is that the standard arm is good enough to bolt a very good expensive cartridge to & still hear clearly what the cartridge is capable of.

narabdela
10-04-2018, 15:45

:thumbsup:

STD305M
10-04-2018, 16:45
Point was taken thanks
I heard what the arm was capable of on both Alans and my own system

Steve...

Wakefield Turntables
10-04-2018, 19:19
There is a thread somewhere suggesting an Alphason Tonearm has the right geometry for the L75 without butchering the top plate. Shame the one here has gone because at £400, it would have been perfect

A new plinth and a service would go some way to bringing the best from it, but I'd avoid plywood. MU25 or Panzerholz would be a great choice but pricey.

Rexton has extensive knowledge and should be mined for information at every opportunity.

I have the Alphason tonearm sitting on mine and it sounds stunning but I always had an itch to try one of these. The standard arm is very very good. I would actually suggest you pick up a cheap Shure M55E, rebody it and if possible buy a JICO Neo SAS/S stylus. This works out significantly cheaper than buying a MC and the diamond profile is as near to a cutting lathe as your going to get. The same sort of diamond profiles only occur on the more exotic van dan hul's and Ortofon's costing well into four figures.

There is nothing wrong with plywood, it's my plinth material of choice. Careful fettling of the deck can bring about the supposed improvements of panzerholz and cost you pennies. I don't being "mined for information", I suppose it could be bloody painful if it's done enough times!!! :D
It's all very much dependent upon what you want to do with your deck, here's my ongoing journey http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?45139-LENCO-GL75-Project Everything I've done and all my thoughts are documented in that thread but PLEASE contact me if you have any questions or if I can help. Good luck with your journey and I hope it's an enjoyable one. ;)

PS The Whiskey tastes nice!